Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, if you can ignore the lol internet stuff, it's worth playing. The design is excellent and pure Deus Ex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Willie Tomg posted:

Everyone who hasn't played good-cop-bad-cop with Simons in the UNATCO cells gtfo of the thread, do that, then please come back. Thank you.

Jesus Christ, JC.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

OregonDonor posted:

Can SS2 run on Windows XP? I downloaded it a while back and I ran into a whole host of problems trying to get it to run.

Use this: http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php/topic,392.0.html It'll take care of any issues you have.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The DX3 thread has pretty much just turned into dx1chat. There's some cool info about cut content and such in there if you're interested in that kind of thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

lesserworm posted:

I think Getwellgamers did a screenshot lp of Deus Ex as well. I remember liking that one a lot more. He abused the AI a lot which was entertaining. I can't find it anywhere though. If you have archives (I don't or else I would try and provide a link), you might be able to find it.

GWG played the game in psychotic rear end in a top hat mode, so naturally it was fun.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Simons: You'll need a Universal Constructor, and don't think we'll just leave one around for you to use, not after you blew up the one in Hong Kong.
JC: I was never properly trained in its operation. :smug:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Xander77 posted:

That's really pretty great. Going from "did you know we killed your daddy?" posturing bullshit to that "we can make a deal" whining was very satisfying.

Barely a scratch! You're a little faster on your feet than your daddy was.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

JoJo's gonna be angry!

:c00l: Maybe I'll cap his rear end, too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

cool jamal posted:

why do the MIB explode when you kill them?

So they don't leave any evidence. There's a datacube about their design, I believe in the MJ12 lab under you know what.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

All this talk of Versa-Life reminds me: The second time you go there, if you ignore what the game says and go through the front door instead of taking the secret entrance there's a giant version of those little spider bots guarding the entrance. To the best of my knowledge that's the only time you encounter one in the game.

I didn't know you even could just go in the front door. :aaaaa:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Le Sean posted:

I did not know this--does that work for all augs? You wait until you have a second canister, and then you can install both?

No, the only reason it works for those is you have two torso slots. The rest are single slots.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Dr Snofeld posted:

For about ten minutes, and there's nobody and nothing much there. You don't have to keep playing this poo poo.

But you miss the greatest reveal in the game. The maintenance man WAS switching the soda to gently caress with Gunther:argh:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Male Man posted:

That's a Shifter-only feature. The files for it are in the base game, but inaccessible through normal play.

What a shame.

Anyone mind posting a transcript of it? I just finished replaying, don't want to do it again so quickly.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Le Sean posted:

That's probably the Manderley convo I have most. What sort of blew my mind was my third playthrough I let Manderley live, listened to his spiel, then kept talking to him after his cutscene. He eventually started saying something encouraging, but as I head toward the door I realized he had taken out a pistol and started shooting me.

I only wish there were more of a reaction from the secretary instead of JC!

I remember that made me laugh my rear end off the first time. Manderley attacking JC loving Denton with a pistol? That called for a good crowbaring.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

It amuses me to no end that Paul doesn't attempt to knock out his UNATCO buddies and slaughters them like pigs.

We don't need another Anna Navarre shooting spree.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The rear end in a top hat physics in Invisible War are almost unmatched, it's the best part of the game.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, why the hell didn't they keep the original weapons designs from Deus Ex and pretty them up?

That one kind of ammo only thing is dumb. And it was also retarded forcing you to get a Biomod for hacking.

The universal ammo's one of those things that makes complete sense in the setting but they really should've put gameplay first.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm curious why you think having nanotech-based ammo in Deus Ex is absurd.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Astroturf Man posted:

And it would be loving awesome.

The very first interview said they were using Invisible War as an example of what not to do, though phrased a little more diplomatically.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You mechs might have copper rewiring to reroute your fear of love, but I've got balls of steel.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If you've already picked up a gun, then you keep that one. If you pick up one of your old guns, you get it with mods intact. So drop everything before you grab your old equipment, then pick up the new stuff to get the ammo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cool Hand Leukemia posted:

Someone should make an Israeli Defense Forces mod for Deus Ex.

No, we don't need another Anna Navarre shooting spree.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I just got around to watching that 43 minute speedrun video, when I noticed this in the credits:

:psypop:

I was going to say something about sperging, but that seems like an inadequate term for this.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There is no Brooklyn Bridge station. :(

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

GTA4 was amazing. Not one for one accurate at all, but it feels exactly like New York and I recognized all the fake neighborhoods. loving spot on. And Battery Park in Deus Ex isn't that far off, I went down there once at night and it was definitely weird. No zyme at the eagle statue though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Powercrazy posted:

Yes there is. I pass through it everyday on the way to work. Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall.

It's not just called Brooklyn Bridge and located a mile from LaGuardia. :colbert:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My childkilling is augmented.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Le Sean posted:

I'd like to see a mod that places JC in Morrowind.

My ability to steal everything that isn't nailed down is augmented.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

DVD Drive posted:

Oh, I had always assumed you could only install each can type once.

Chest is the only exception because there are two slots.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

There are two subdermal and three torso slots. If you keep a slot free until you find a second unit of the same canister, you can install the second augmentation it containts.

I was never properly trained in its operation.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

OregonDonor posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone know if there's a way to run System Shock 2 in XP? I tried to install it a while back but Windows couldn't read it.

This will fix any issues you have: http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php/topic,392.0.html

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

Whats the gray back story? I don't feel like getting and playing the game just to find it out.

As I recall, they were genetically engineered by the Illuminati and used to convince people aliens existed in order to distract all the conspiracy theorists from the real conspiracy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Inspector Ratcliffe posted:

I haven't read through this entire thread, but is it ever addressed why JC says that he hopes he doesn't grow green antennae or something? It's when he's talking to Reyes at UNATCO headquarters and it implies that the nanobots' origins are alien.

It's called a joke.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Paris is my favorite part of the game, but Hong Kong is definitely the most free-roaming. After Paris it's all missions building up to the climax, no more wandering around. That's no reason to stop playing though, it's all good and if you stop now you miss the best conversation in the game.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mexican JC is the only JC.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Or they wanted to see how their new agent performed and he wasn't really captured.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fuzz posted:

He's not Mexican, he's Indian. :ssh:

That would explain what I did to the Quik-Stop.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I think Invisible War is poo poo compared to the first game, but on its own merits it isn't too bad. Don't feel compelled to play it but if you want to, it's not a total waste of time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

GoldenNugget posted:

I just recently tried to play IW and I can't play it for long periods of time. It just doesn't feel right, from setting to movement. The animations are also pretty sucky too.

IW was better at the time because physics was still new and novel, and the physics were hosed up in the most hilarious way. I ran through half the game with the strength aug on beating people to death with corpses and trash cans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ninja Rope posted:

Similar to what was posted before, this guy did a few covers of Deus Ex music on a piano.

It's been years since I've played through DX and I still know all the music. That loving Hong Kong music will be playing at my funeral I'm sure.

These are nice. Is there a way to download them? I don't see a link.