Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’ve never seen Bluey but is there any kind of ongoing narrative/indication that time is passing? If not, they could just go the Gumball/Hey Arnold route and recast the kids every so often

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Larryb posted:

I’ve never seen Bluey but is there any kind of ongoing narrative/indication that time is passing? If not, they could just go the Gumball/Hey Arnold route and recast the kids every so often

The kids are the actual children of people who work on the show so I don’t know if they’re gonna replace them so easily since it’s so personal. That’s all we know about them as they keep the identity of the kids secret due to crazy people which is fair.

There is passage of time in the show, Bluey turned 7 in “Pass the Parcel” and Bingo was 4 in season 1 and turned 5 in “Duck Cake”. They’ve also had the same voices since season 1 so they are growing up at least.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
It's that or make a show that's for somewhat older audiences and be Bob's Burgers with Dogs

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So how is Bluey while we’re on the subject, is it just a pure kids show or is there stuff older audiences can enjoy as well (and if the former, how’s the writing? There’s a few 90’s cartoons I’ve revisited that still hold up after all)?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Bluey is something that's perhaps -overall- a little bit too young for my tastes, but it has plenty of things that adults are able to enjoy and can get genuine laughs out of me. The writing is solid.

It's something I don't seek out, but when friends are watching it, I'll join and have a good time.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Larryb posted:

So how is Bluey while we’re on the subject, is it just a pure kids show or is there stuff older audiences can enjoy as well (and if the former, how’s the writing? There’s a few 90’s cartoons I’ve revisited that still hold up after all)?

I wouldn't so much say that Bluey has content for adults as that it has content for parents. I don't think I'd watch Bluey if I didn't have kids, or even if my kids didn't watch it, but I can watch and enjoy it without my kids, if that makes sense. And there are absolutely themes and small moments that are aimed squarely at the adults in the audience.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Neeksy posted:

It's that or make a show that's for somewhat older audiences and be Bob's Burgers with Dogs

Bob's Hotdogs

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Neeksy posted:

Bluey is something that's perhaps -overall- a little bit too young for my tastes, but it has plenty of things that adults are able to enjoy and can get genuine laughs out of me. The writing is solid.

It's something I don't seek out, but when friends are watching it, I'll join and have a good time.

Yeah if you don't have a kid (and/or are around somebody with kids) you're better off just watching some highlight clips on YouTube.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There are adults on youtube who talk about what they get out of Bluey, and it usually involves some aspect of healing from trauma and adverse childhood experiences. It’s a show with a light touch that has thought very carefully about how it touches on big questions about childhood.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The new voice of Aang in the ATLA movie has been cast

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/dave-bautista-aang-the-last-airbender-avatar-movie-1235967951/

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

I know what the article actually says but seeing the URL up there now I want to see Dave Bautista play Aang.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Killer robot posted:

I know what the article actually says but seeing the URL up there now I want to see Dave Bautista play Aang.

Yeah this was my immediate reaction lmfao

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Killer robot posted:

Just put the arrow tattoo on him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Killer robot posted:

Hell, same

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, an R rated live action adaptation of The Last Ronin is apparently in the works

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-last-ronin-movie-1235871493/

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Live action like CG, or tokusatsu like the original movies?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

The article doesn’t specify (how many of the human characters actually make significant appearances in that book?)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 11, 2024

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
April, Casey Marie, Hiroto, Baxter Stockman in the main timeline, Casey and Karai are in flashbacks

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

I have to imagine most likely CG. I have to imagine they'll do like, *shudder* the Michael Bay TMNT movies and do human mocap and change it later. Or just have it be nothing there like Detective Pikachu/Sonic/etc. Either way, suits like the old days just aren't the way modern Hollywood works.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Just remind people of the D&D movie, which had practical animatronics, as well as the FNAF film.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
GotG3 too.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Bluey half hour episode: An excellent episode, full of emotional moments and easter eggs. I have a few questions about Australian real estate laws now. Edit: Apparently there is a five day "cooling off period", someone on Reddit linked it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

Bluey half hour episode: An excellent episode, full of emotional moments and easter eggs. I have a few questions about Australian real estate laws now. Edit: Apparently there is a five day "cooling off period", someone on Reddit linked it.
General Kids Show Discussion Thread: I have a few questions about Australian real estate laws now

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

TeenTitans GO to Australia

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/adultswim/status/1780974839081156686

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also the ATLA movie has been delayed until 2026:

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/aang-the-last-airbender-release-date-delays-2026-1235974936/

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I got my daughter the Bluey video game, thinking it'd be cute. It's some good bonus Bluey content, but it's a terrible game. It brought me back to all those shovelware NES and GBA games based on cartoons. I could see young kids getting frustrated with it. Button inputs sometimes don't work; characters will snap-teleport to "catch up" to other characters even from 1/4th of a screen away, which makes the simple jumping puzzles annoying; there are in-game cutscenes every few steps, but the characters will say their lines from where ever they happen to be. For example, they need to find a toy. We get to the screen where the toy is, and Bandit goes "oh, here it is!" while he's talking close-up to the bottom right corner of the screen. Since there's always all four family members on the screen, sometimes they'll cover up whatever action is actually going on.

Mostly paid the $30 for a subpar Bluey episode, which is almost worth the price of admission, but we should have just watched a Let's Play.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've seen a let's play of it, and I think it says a lot about the state of games today that there's been so many negative reviews of the Bluey game. It's not good, but it's not total trash like some of the licensed games I played as a kid. It's a little impressive to me how they kept everything on-model to the original show (although I guess it's not that much of an accomplishment when all the characters are 2D sprites like Paper Mario), and apparently they made sure to get all the original VAs, although there's presumably something wrong with the voice directing.

I think there's not very many licensed full games in general these days, most things just have little tiny mobile games instead of getting a full console release. It's also a little weird how there's not really any multimedia integration between the new apparently successful videogame movies and their respective videogame franchises; there's not really any direct connection between newer game releases and the movies in the associated franchise

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I saw someone struggling to decide which blue dog show to show to their kid, Bluey or Blues Clues.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I saw someone struggling to decide which blue dog show to show to their kid, Bluey or Blues Clues.

Bluey is still available to stream, while Paramount+ pulled the new version of Blue's Clues along with some other shows.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The zazlav treatment feels especially cruel when it’s done to things kids like. Although I still remember my dismay at turning on the tv one afternoon to discover that transformers had been replaced by dinosaucers without notice.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at my serious grown up npr station talking about the Bluey moving episode today, or videogames sometimes.

put that kiddy trash back in their age appropriate media ghettos

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PhazonLink posted:

lol at my serious grown up npr station talking about the Bluey moving episode today, or videogames sometimes.

The age appropriate media for grown ups is far worse, especially npr

mystes
May 31, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

Real adults don't watch cartoons. That's why I'm holding out for an M. Night Shyamalan cynical cash grab live action version of Bluey

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

Real adults don't watch cartoons. That's why I'm holding out for an M. Night Shyamalan cynical cash grab live action version of Bluey

Disney/Jon Favreau sitting next to the phone waiting for ABC to call:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN7_O-2Kixw

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Surprise Bluey episode at Midnight PST!

This is the one that leaked online several months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

well that sucks