Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

SUBFRIES posted:

DC's second run of the name is wrapping up in a week or so, but the guys that ran it are going to continue doing a dnb/dubstep night at the same venue, same consistancy, just a different name. The main Konkrete was hitting them up for dues (something like $100 a month to use the name), and the guys in DC were doing the party as a free event for over the past year.

I spent my entire loving schoolyear looking for this type of thing, and I find it two weeks after break starts. Give me more info, I had one good night at Club24 but there must have been less than 50 people there, 10 of them being my friends/group.

Roil posted:

I have a bunch of drum and bass mixes on my site that you can grab here:

http://www.1217design.com (audio section)
or for the full list of mixes you can go here:
http://www.1217design.com/blog

I haven't done any new dnb mixes in almost a year though, but, check them out and see what you think.

I grabbed your stuff and I'll give it a whirl later on today.

HAI posted:

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7GZV0mTvNU ? Really? It the guy from loving Porcupine Tree singing some inane inspirational lyrics over a loving limp beat and completely awful synths. Like, the break actually sounds completely off at times. And more than just being a terrible track, it's utterly undanceable, not a dnb song in any way. I'd be actually embarrassed if someone caught me listening to this.

WMG took it down, and after your glowing review I was really steeling myself to having my opinion of Porcupine Tree shattered. What a shame?

I'm surprised no one has posted Shimon. Much more my style over High Contrast but I only really blast DnB for parties. Is he not a part of the genre and I'm just stupid?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HnXB9BVWNA The Shadow Knows

Sub Focus again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjslizOwELM Lost Highway

Also, I have a question. Does anyone know how to xstep, dnb step, whatever the gently caress you feel like calling it? (seriously 4 people from 4 different countries had different English translations of what it was, but all knew it when they saw it) I'd really like to get better at it, but frankly don't have a clue where to begin.

Also, for any of you still working DJs in DC/MD/VA find a way to keep us updated. I would go out dancing 4 days of the week if I could find a drat venue. Hell, artists everywhere for that matter. Everyone I know is so into this scene and dance/electro clubbing rather than top40 clubs, but wherever we find ourselves it's impossible to find a venue that plays music we really jam out to.
e: cept for europe :3:

Longtiem fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
Shapeshifter always sounded "orchestral" to me. Also really good, but had a sort of live, in concert feel. Listening to The System is a Vampire this morning, I really liked it a lot. I also heard the original Twin Galaxies again after having listened to the remix on Sick Music 2, and that was nice. :)

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Longtiem posted:

Also, I have a question. Does anyone know how to xstep, dnb step, whatever the gently caress you feel like calling it? (seriously 4 people from 4 different countries had different English translations of what it was, but all knew it when they saw it) I'd really like to get better at it, but frankly don't have a clue where to begin.

Is this a style of dance?

Longtiem posted:

Also, for any of you still working DJs in DC/MD/VA find a way to keep us updated. I would go out dancing 4 days of the week if I could find a drat venue. Hell, artists everywhere for that matter. Everyone I know is so into this scene and dance/electro clubbing rather than top40 clubs, but wherever we find ourselves it's impossible to find a venue that plays music we really jam out to.
e: cept for europe :3:

Buzzlife forum - DC area events sub forum: http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45

District Soul forum - usually more house events listed here: http://www.districtsoul.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=5

DCDNB - a blog I run, I try to post a weekly round up of area dnb events/bookings on Tuesdays: http://dcdnb.tumblr.com

Also, I doubt there will be much at Club 24 nowadays, but I didn't like the venue because they did not have the power to run sound systems properly. No dnb at U Street Music Hall yet (http://www.ustreetmusichall.com), but I know they have a few shows lined up for the summer and they have a lot of other great shows (had a great time at the Trouble & Bass monthly, last week). Some decent shows at Muse, but the venue has a lot quirks about it. I played at a fun show at the 411 Warehouse, which is on NY Ave., near the FedEx building on the corner of Florida Ave. And then Jimmy Valentine's has one or two dnb nights a month, plus a lot of other stuff.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

SUBFRIES posted:

I doubt there will be much at Club 24 nowadays, but I didn't like the venue because they did not have the power to run sound systems properly.

This is one of the things that I'd struggle with, working with soundsystems regularly. You guys seem to have to put in a lot more work than would otherwise be necessary just because of the arcane decision to hold off on AC supplies and then sticking at 110v. I'm lucky to find a 32 amp feed in a venue here at the best of times, but at least when I do I can hang double the amount of boxes off of it than I could over the pond.

Drum and bass and dubstep pretty much demand a system that makes it hard to breathe and your vision blurred, and I'd hate to have to lug in extra cabinets and amps just to achieve that effect because doing a load in, partying and then loading out is already a killer.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Neurophonic posted:

This is one of the things that I'd struggle with, working with soundsystems regularly. You guys seem to have to put in a lot more work than would otherwise be necessary just because of the arcane decision to hold off on AC supplies and then sticking at 110v. I'm lucky to find a 32 amp feed in a venue here at the best of times, but at least when I do I can hang double the amount of boxes off of it than I could over the pond.

Drum and bass and dubstep pretty much demand a system that makes it hard to breathe and your vision blurred, and I'd hate to have to lug in extra cabinets and amps just to achieve that effect because doing a load in, partying and then loading out is already a killer.

If you make it over the states and come down to DC, I'll take you to U Hall. It's what I wish all the sound systems in this city were like.

Club 24 is a mess, probably a front and the owner just wants money coming through. The process to get the proper power rating to the building is supposedly minimal amount of work. The one show I played there, the promoter paid for a bunch of extra sound, friend of mine was running one of those systems and just complained about what a waste it was to bring in the gear they did.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
All this talk about clubs who have drum n bass/dubstep nights is making me kinda jealous. Good luck finding anything like that in Kansas.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
Reading this thread regularly stops me from taking Bristol (UK) for granted. loving hell. Just for kicks, here's a list of d&b/dubstep DJs playing in Bristol next weekend.

RONI SIZE
NOISIA
NERO
DIRTYPHONICS
VIRUS SYNDICATE
XAMPLE & LOMAX
SIGMA
D*MINDS b2b SS
DISTANCE
16BIT
DOCTOR P
SUKH KNIGHT
JAKES
FABIO
SPECTRASOUL
SEBA
MICKEY FINN B2B NICKY BLACKMARKET
JUMPIN JACK FROST
POTENTIAL BAD BOY
JOHN B
DR S GACHET
COMMIX
PANGAEA
LYNX
CASPA
DAVID 'RAM JAM' RODIGAN
EMALKAY
BREAKAGE
THE OTHERS
TROLLEY SNATCHA
SUBSCAPE
BROOKES BROTHERS
STANZA

Seriously. No festival or anything. Those are just the upcoming events for next weekend on my facebook.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Longtiem posted:

My advice would be - Don't. It looks retarded (unless you're really good at it, but even then, you look like a poser.) Just dance how the music makes you move naturally.

Mexican Samurai
Nov 12, 2005

Dell_Zincht posted:

My advice would be - Don't. It looks retarded (unless you're really good at it, but even then, you look like a poser.) Just dance how the music makes you move naturally.

I agree, it does look weird. You don't have to move to every single drum beat, instead just move to the bass and count each phrase (even though this is still fast)!

I study Modern Dance and I've been wanting to do a solo to a drum n' bass song for a long time, unfortunately I just find the count to be way too fast and will mostly likely look goofy. I've been thinking of doing one but dancing at half-speed of the count. Would anyone think this would work?

Edit:

infinity2005 posted:

Cyantific - Riviera http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLtms47KT9w

Also, this song is absolutely incredible.

Mexican Samurai fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 23, 2010

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

SUBFRIES posted:

If you make it over the states and come down to DC, I'll take you to U Hall. It's what I wish all the sound systems in this city were like.

Club 24 is a mess, probably a front and the owner just wants money coming through. The process to get the proper power rating to the building is supposedly minimal amount of work. The one show I played there, the promoter paid for a bunch of extra sound, friend of mine was running one of those systems and just complained about what a waste it was to bring in the gear they did.

When you played there do you remember two dudes and a bunch of ugly girls that handed you a note? If you do tell me what that note said. If you're the DJ that was there on the one night I have been, and a goon, I will literally fall over dead from what-a-small-world-disease.

e: o god so lame :negative:

Dell_Zincht posted:

It makes me feel less retarded without chemical assistance. Also this doesn't really make sense. What if how I move naturally is dnb step? :psyduck: I mean you're talking about looking like a poser? Boo, come on man 8th grade is dead and buried.

Also, those big 1 hour loops of music went over well tonight at my friends party. We event went out and got glowsticks and everything. Good times and good tunes, thanks for all the recommendations :)

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes

Mexican Samurai posted:

I agree, it does look weird. You don't have to move to every single drum beat, instead just move to the bass and count each phrase (even though this is still fast)!

I study Modern Dance and I've been wanting to do a solo to a drum n' bass song for a long time, unfortunately I just find the count to be way too fast and will mostly likely look goofy. I've been thinking of doing one but dancing at half-speed of the count. Would anyone think this would work?

That'd mean the count is like 85 bpm, which seems fine to me. How normal is andante for dance?

Mexican Samurai
Nov 12, 2005

feedtheid posted:

That'd mean the count is like 85 bpm, which seems fine to me. How normal is andante for dance?

Andante is the normal tempo for most Modern Dance, I just don't want people to criticize me for dancing half speed to a song with a way faster count.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Mexican Samurai posted:

But, we should probably get back to talking about actual Drum & Bass. Does anyone know of any other Liquid Funk songs that has a heavy use of strings that is not Blame song?

LAOS - We All

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvO_VugWRYU

High Contrast - Forever and a Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5gVknqZ4ZA

I love a good strings track.

Bachelors of Science - Strings Track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXmhrbxyTVc

and of course one of the best uses of a string sample:

Klute - We're All Dying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzsY1AYKI64

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

SUBFRIES posted:

I don't wanna get too spergy about soundsystems but they are a crucial part of drum and bass for me. We're quite fortunate here that the majority of events around the UK understand this and hire in walls of bass bins (mine included) to make a night something special.

I'm always interested in having a nosy at a club's spec but it seems their site doesn't list anything technical, just a cute Q&A:
Q: Is the soundsystem at U Street Music Hall really THAT good?

A: Yes.

If you're there anytime soon and fancy prodding the soundboy to find out what they use I'd like to know just for speaker geek purposes!

Here's what I put in for the last 300 capacity dubstep, hip hop and drum and bass dance I helped put on for a few friends:

If I had my way I'd have put in the other identical stack the other side of the stage but the manager was having none of it.

Mexican Samurai posted:

Andante is the normal tempo for most Modern Dance, I just don't want people to criticize me for dancing half speed to a song with a way faster count.

Try using something by D-Bridge or Instra:Mental, or anything 'Autonomic' then. Still DnB, just fewer beats!

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Longtiem posted:

When you played there do you remember two dudes and a bunch of ugly girls that handed you a note? If you do tell me what that note said. If you're the DJ that was there on the one night I have been, and a goon, I will literally fall over dead from what-a-small-world-disease.

I played opening week, back in March, didn't get a note, but I know two goons that were there (NeverGirls and 2beans). I was hanging out in the booth the night Nadastrom & Tittsworth played though, and I think someone passed one of them a note during their set, but I didn't see it.

I haven't been seeking out too many gigs lately, but I just got added to the Starscape line-up, and I'm playing a 4th of July party that 3D Productions is throwing.

Neurophonic posted:

I don't wanna get too spergy about soundsystems but they are a crucial part of drum and bass for me. We're quite fortunate here that the majority of events around the UK understand this and hire in walls of bass bins (mine included) to make a night something special.

If you're there anytime soon and fancy prodding the soundboy to find out what they use I'd like to know just for speaker geek purposes!

I've always been envious of UK (and EU in general) systems, most US stuff seems to be made for bands and not much thought in to dance music.

The guys who did U Hall's system are old members of Telemetrik, when it was a crew rather than just Marcio's production alias, and their company is called ITI Audio Inc. I can put you in touch if you want, Billy and Adam are good dudes. They have a site too: http://www.itiaudio.com/. I'm pretty sure the system uses Martin Audio speakers, and MRK1 gave the system major props the night I played with him.

And first song played on the system was "Inner City Life", although they have not had a dnb night yet, but I know of at least two planned and if I can get my finances to a point where I can set aside some money to throw events again, I might start doing some stuff occasionally.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

SUBFRIES posted:

I played opening week, back in March, didn't get a note, but I know two goons that were there (NeverGirls and 2beans). I was hanging out in the booth the night Nadastrom & Tittsworth played though, and I think someone passed one of them a note during their set, but I didn't see it.

Wow dude that's really psychedelic that you were there, last place ever I would have expected inadvertent goon meet. Cheers.

Mexican Samurai
Nov 12, 2005

chrix posted:

I love a good strings track.

Bachelors of Science - Strings Track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXmhrbxyTVc

and of course one of the best uses of a string sample:

Klute - We're All Dying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzsY1AYKI64

Those were excellent! Great use of strings.

Here are some others I have found with great string samples.

D.Kay & Epsilon - "Barcelona" (High Contrast Remix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMcZy2FYRxM

Jonny L - "Oh Yeah"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85p8bgjvHFU

Neurophonic posted:

Try using something by D-Bridge or Instra:Mental, or anything 'Autonomic' then. Still DnB, just fewer beats!

Oh yeah! The beat is way slower and much easier to dance to in my opinion. This is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Anae posted:

Reading this thread regularly stops me from taking Bristol (UK) for granted. loving hell. Just for kicks, here's a list of d&b/dubstep DJs playing in Bristol next weekend.

TON OF AWESOME BANDS

Seriously. No festival or anything. Those are just the upcoming events for next weekend on my facebook.

Taking a vacation in London next year around march, I hope the weekend I'm there is half as awesome as this. Christ.

Auspex
Dec 21, 2005
Many Bothans died to bring us this information

Caseman posted:

Taking a vacation in London next year around march, I hope the weekend I'm there is half as awesome as this. Christ.

Yeah pretty much any given weekend in London is gonna have a sweet dnb line up somewhere. You should have no trouble finding an event to go to, just use facebook and check out all the big clubs' websites closer to the time.

I've finished writing up a huge 5000 word megathread OP. What should we do with it? I guess it could be added it to the OP of this thread but I'd really like to be able to edit it and add new stuff at will...I know its awkward and I apologise but would anyone object to starting a new thread? I just want to spread the word about dnb :)

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Auspex posted:

Yeah pretty much any given weekend in London is gonna have a sweet dnb line up somewhere. You should have no trouble finding an event to go to, just use facebook and check out all the big clubs' websites closer to the time.

I'm not sure you're going to get any of the 'fifteen headliners in one night' type events for a while now, what with Matter closing down. There'll still be plenty on, but it will be spread across several smaller nights.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Neurophonic posted:

I'm not sure you're going to get any of the 'fifteen headliners in one night' type events for a while now, what with Matter closing down. There'll still be plenty on, but it will be spread across several smaller nights.

Playaz will still be at Fabric, and I guess Hospitality will move there. Hard to say how things will be a year from now on, obvs.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

HAI posted:

Playaz will still be at Fabric, and I guess Hospitality will move there. Hard to say how things will be a year from now on, obvs.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, it gives the chance for smaller promoters to put on a stonking headliner that will pull in the crowds and expose more undergroud or up and coming artists easily by proxy. It's all well and good going to a night where everybody playing has sold a million records or whatever but I've always been a fan of the atmosphere of a more intimate event.

Auspex
Dec 21, 2005

Neurophonic posted:

Fabric has some big line ups, for example in a couple of weeks its the Zero T fabriclive album launch with Zero T, Ed Rush, Alix Perez, Icicle, AI, Fracture and Neptune, D bridge, Intra:mental, Flight, then in room 1 there's a big dubstep line up with Pinch, Skream, Jamie Vex'd, Kryptic Minds and Youngsta.

I'm sad that matter is shutting down but it could be worse...matter is a loving pain in the arse to get to. There's so much more in london beyond fabric and matter as well.

Renegade hardware always put on huge events at area in vauxhall. The last one I went to had ink, loxy, doc scott, icicle, maldini, gridlok, fierce, cause 4 concern, optical, kasra, sabre, survival, jubei, rockwell, stray, and FD. That was a ridiculous night.

A fair few events recently have been put on at cable, not sure how long it's been around but I highly recommend you check it out if you haven't been already, its a great venue. Last week was A Bunch of Cuts vs. Metalheadz at cable, Goldie B2B Marcus Intalex / D Bridge B2B Commix / Doc Scott B2B Bailey / Krust B2B Die / A Sides B2B Jubei with Appleblim/ Komonazmuk / Al Tourettes in the other room. Really nice atmosphere there and the soundsystem is sick!

There's a lot more that I cant be arsed to go into but yeah, although matter was definitely one of the biggest clubs around and the dnb nights always had ridiculous line ups i don't think its as big a loss to the club scene as it seems, there are clubs that are almost as big as matter and ram/hospitality will just move to one of these places and be just as big :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I know we're trying to shy away from only talking about the new Pendulum album, but I just wanted to mention that they posted a story on their website about the status of Immersion in the US.

Turns out it's not being released here until later in the year, so if you live in the US and want to purchase it before then, it looks like you'll need to import it.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

I started a new thread to try and keep the Pendulum discussion away from this one.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3308204

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

VolumeOverTalent posted:

I started a new thread to try and keep the Pendulum discussion away from this one.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3308204

Thanks man :)

I was thinking about making one, but you beat me to it!

I'm on my iPhone right now, but I'll add this to the OP when I get to my computer later.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
oh my god netsky - secret agent is the best song I've heard this year. Hits the spot reallll good. Oh man.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

The way netsky's been, it sounds like he good almost be high contrast in an lp or two.

Oh holy crap, secret agent IS loving good - my heart just jumped into my loving throat

feedtheid fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 26, 2010

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!
Wow I don't know how I've never heard Netsky at all. I've just listened to a few of his tracks and are really digging them. Memory Lane is pretty awesome. I love to find new stuff.

Edit: holy poo poo really loving this. Debut album from Hospital is due out June 14th apparently. Can't wait!

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 26, 2010

Auspex
Dec 21, 2005
I'm just gonna post this here, I probably missed a lot of stuff out but here you go, enjoy :)

Drum & Bass

Welcome to the drum and bass megathread. Whether you're just getting started or you're just looking to expand your horizons a bit you should be able to find all the info you need in here.

What is Drum and Bass?

Drum & Bass is a genre of electronic music, usually categorized by BPMs of 160-180 and prominent sub-bass (bass at lower than normal frequencies that you can feel as well as hear) basslines. A fair few drum & bass tracks also feature samples. The “standard” dnb BPM is 174.

Here's a very informative video about some key elements and history of DNB:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SaFTm2bcac

Now, the Amen break isn't required to make drum & bass, but if you've heard music with it before (which you probably have at least sometime in the last 10 years), you already have a pretty good idea of what drum & bass sounds like.

Generally drum and bass songs have a minute or so long intro building up to a drop where the bassline kicks in. Most also tunes feature a breakdown and a second drop. There is a huge amount of energy in these drops and a DJs job is to keep building and releasing tension by controlling the flow of the drops and breakdowns while mixing from one tune to the next.

Where can I hear Dnb?

There are LOTS of great places to hear new dnb. For starters, youtube is a surprisingly good resource, I reckon probably 80-90% of tunes you'll be able to find on there unless they're ridiculously obscure. Even tunes that aren't set to be released for several months or even years you should be able to find. There are also a lot of youtube channels that post great stuff including

Liquicity - http://www.youtube.com/user/liquicity
UKFDrumandbass - http://www.youtube.com/user/UKFDrumandBass
Neurofunkgrid - http://www.youtube.com/user/NeurofunkGrid
Inspector Dubplate - http://www.youtube.com/user/inspectordubplate
Vibes music http://www.youtube.com/user/VibesMusic1

Another great place is https://www.soundcloud.com. If you know of an artists name that you like, go on soundcloud and see if they have a page on there. If you follow them, you get a facebook style feed giving you updates on when they upload new songs, mixes etc. I follow several hundred producers and DJs on here so I get a pretty much constant stream of pretty much every new tune that comes out on my feed, its great.

Forums

Aside from this thread there are a lot of forums around which can give you a lot of information about dnb. The biggest 3 are probably https://www.dnbforum.com , forums.breakbeat.co.uk (Drum and Bass Arena) and https://www.dogsonacid.com . Dogs on acid and DNBA have some kind of gay drama rivalry with each other and they both like to think theyre the authority on dnb but to be honest there is a LOT of poo poo on both of them and I personally find https://www.dnbforum.com to be a lot more useful.

Mixes

If you're having trouble getting into drum and bass, start listening to mixes[/b]. Dnb is pretty much meant to be listened to in mixes. Most dnb tunes are 5-7 minutes in length but you'll find that in mixes you get at most 3 minutes of each tune before it starts changing, keeping it fresh. A good mix of two songs is most definitely greater than the sum of its parts as well.

If you really want to start getting cerebral about drum and bass learn about the principles of mixing and it will unlock a whole new world for you, you'll never be able to listen to a dnb set again without appreciating the intricacies of what the DJ is doing etc

Mixes will be either recordings of live mixes done by big name DJs, or studio/promo mixes again done often by big name DJs but also by the little guys too. If you like a particular artist, look up their mixes. It varies wildly and no mix is ever the same but quite often a DJ will play 30-50% their own tunes then the rest other people's songs that fit in with their style. Obviously that other 50-70% is a great way to discover new songs that you might not have heard.

Some good resources
https://www.dnb-sets.de
Google
https://www.soundcloud.com

Clubs

When it comes down to it drum and bass is dance music and is meant to be heard in clubs. Its all good listening to dnb in your bedroom but it is a whole new experience if you go to a club. I highly highly recommend checking out a club night if you have any interest in dnb whatsoever.

How is DnB released?

Drum and bass is generally released in one of 3 ways.

Singles. These usually consist of two tracks, you can buy these on vinyl with one track per side and most come out on digital download as well. Sometimes you get vinyl only / digital only releases but this is mainly stuff from smaller record labels.

EPs. These are usually 4 tracks, again coming out on either 2x12" vinyls or digital release. Usually fairly hyped up by the labels.

Albums. These usually consist of around 12 tracks as you might expect from a normal album. Releases for these are a bit different though. Generally albums will get released on CD and digital download with all 12 tracks, but for the vinyl release usually 6 of the tracks will get selected to be pressed to vinyl. These will usually be the big dancefloor tracks of the album and sometimes you get a vinyl exclusive track. Extreme levels of hype from the labels.

Each release has its own "Catalogue number" from its record label which is really useful for tracking stuff down. For example, ram records releases all its singles with the catalogue number "RAMM###" where ### is the specific number of the release. A specific example is RAMM078 which is the Sub focus - Rock it/Follow the Light single. You get the idea. A great website for checking this stuff out is https://www.rolldabeats.com which is an encyclopedia of dance music releases, you can search by catalogue number, artist name, record label name, track name etc to find out whatever you might need to know.

SUBFRIES posted:

It is a great resource for drum'n'bass discographies, can help you find new stuff to check out too, e.g. you like Stakka & Skynet, so you look them up and see that they also go by Kraken and Profound Noise, as well as other related artists.

Quite often DJs will hold on to tunes for quite a long time before releasing them so if you hear a song when you're out or on youtube and you cant find it to buy anywhere this is probably why. It's loving annoying for the rest of us small time DJs because by the time you can get your hands on a tune its already been rinsed for several months by the big boys.

Where can I get drum and bass?

There are a lot of great websites for buying DnB.

https://www.beatport.com has a huge library of stuff available for digital purchase at (it varies) around £0.99 per track. Its a pretty slick website and you can actually find a lot of new tunes on here. There are charts of whats popular at the moment and DJs often post their own personal top 10 charts where you can discover a lot of new stuff.

The record labels themselves also usually sell vinyl and mp3s direct from their websites. I'm not going to list every single label's website that I can think of but if you know a tune you want and you know what record label it's on just google for that record labels name and it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Other good websites – https://www.chemicalrecords.com and https://www.redeyerecords.co.uk
These two sites are pretty similar in what they're trying to achieve (I think chemical is better but if you cant find something on one check the other one). These sites are a great place for buying vinyls and mp3s amongst loads of other stuff including dj kit and clothing. Theyll both give you loads of similar tracks to check out and you can preview each track which is nice.

Other random bits:

A "VIP Remix" is just a remix by the same artist that made the song or a close mate of theirs, hence "VIP".

A dubplate is a quick and dirty vinyl pressing of a song that DJs use so they can get their songs out there to big DJs without having to pay for a full release. If you see a tracklisting for a mix and one of the tracks has (dub) after it, it just means that it hasn't been released yet. If you start getting your hands on a dubplates you know you're a big man.

Now, with all that out of the way:

Modern Drum and Bass

For all that people complain that drum and bass all sounds the same (don't listen to these people, they don't have a loving clue what they're talking about), Drum and bass is a ridiculously broad genre. I always say there's a different style of drum and bass for every hour of the day, from the most chilled stuff for when you wake up to the most aggressive in your face uplifting drum and bass for late nights out. I'm gonna go through some different broad subgenres and list some essential albums, record labels, artists and tunes for each one. There's not really any official doctrine on the naming of these subgenres so im gonna try not to get too caught up in “wahh this isnt liquid this is something else bla bla bla” but ill try and keep them as cohesive musically as I can.

Easily Accessible/Mainstream

I'm gonna list the really easily accessible stuff in its own section. If you're new to drum and bass, start here. A lot of people will snub this sort of stuff but pay no notice to them, everyone's gotta start somewhere with drum and bass and this stuff here is a great place to start. However, there is a VAST amount of drum and bass beyond pendulum, chase and status and sub focus as you can see from this OP so I beg you to try and expand your horizons if you like it!

Essential Labels

Ram Records
One of the biggest labels in drum and bass. Owned by Andy C who is no doubt one of the best drum and bass DJs in the world. He puts on a set that pretty much anyone from the greenest to the fanatics can enjoy and if youre into mixing watching him DJ is absolutely mesmerising. I highly recommend going to see him if you get a chance. Amongst many other artists, Ram is the home of Chase and Status and Sub Focus.

Hospital Records
Hospital Records are pretty much the kings of friendly upbeat drum and bass. Owned by London Elektricity. Signed artists include High Contrast, Nu:Tone, Netsky, Logistics, Cyantific, Danny Byrd, and others.

Essential Artists

Chase and Status
Sub Focus
Pendulum
TC
High Contrast
The Qemists
Concord Dawn
Shapeshifter

Essential Albums

Pendulum - Hold Your Colour - A lot of people, including myself started here.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I don't think I could think of a better album to recommend someone interested in checking out drum & bass.

Chase and Status - More Than Alot - This is a genuinely enjoyable album which even most dnb snobs will admit they have a soft spot for. A lot of big tunes on here. Check out “Take me away” “Streetlife” and the wildly underappreciated “Take U There”

High Contrast – Tough Guys Don't Dance -

This is probably my most listened to DNB album, just because every track is so much fun and it never gets old for me. To me, this is super refined DNB at its best.

Sub Focus – Sub Focus –

As a first album, this is a really killer effort. It isn't strictly drum & bass, as there are some electro tracks on it, but the drum & bass tracks are the real standouts, I think.
Check out “Rock It” “Deep Space” “Last Jungle” from here.

The Qemists – Join the Q

This Is Drum n Bass mixed by High Contrast and London Elektricity – Hospital records recently released this 2CD mix specifically aimed at newcomers to the genre. Check it out!

You could also check out some of these compilation albums/mixes which have lots of easily accessible dnb tunes on them.

Drum and Bass arena presents... - The DJ hype one in this series is pretty good.
Ministry of Sound – Addicted to Bass ####
Andy C – Nightlife series - Nightlife 2 was one of the first dnb CDs I listened to and it really got me interested. Nightlife 1 is pretty old now but check out 3 and 4 for more recent tracks from ram records.

Liquid

If you're looking to progress on from the stuff listed above liquid drum and bass is probably your next stop. Upbeat, enjoyable happy drum and bass that's pretty difficult to hate. It spans from cheesy female vocal led stuff from the likes of Danny Byrd to the classier subtle sort of tracks from the likes of Marcus intalex and Calibre.

Essential Labels

Hospital Records – Mentioned previously, but these guys are the kings of accessible, friendly, enjoyable drum and bass. Pretty much impossible to dislike.
Spearhead
Viper recordings
Fokuz recordings
Allsorts Recordings
Creative Source
Soul:R
Deep soul Music
Signature Records – Calibre's Record label.

Essential Artists

Commix – Highly esteemed in the dnb community. Commix have produced a lot of tunes and the majority of them are wicked. They produce quite a wide range of stuff, check out “Painted Smile” “Be true”, “How you Gonna Feel” for their liquid vibes.
London Elektricity

Netsky – A rising star in the liquid dnb scene. A very young producer but obviously very talented, he's produced a lot of tunes in his short time on the scene. His debut album is out very soon. Check out “Tomorrow's Another Day” “Secret Agent” “Memory Lane”

Madmen & Poets
Mutt
Redeyes
Sigma
B Complex
Marcus Intalex
Bcee & Lomax
Alix Perez
Electrosoul system
Cyantific
Makoto
DJ Marky
Hobzee & Zyon Base
Blame
CLS & Wax
Eveson
Bachelors of Science
Nu:Tone
Lm1
ASC
Shapeshifter
Blu Mar Ten
Naibu
A Sides
Camo & Krooked
Artificial Intelligence

Calibre – One of the most prolific producers of all time and has been a huge pioneer in the dnb scene.

Lenzman – Crossing the line between neurofunk and liquid. Check out “Open Page” “Fade away”

Logistics – Logistics has released a huge number of tracks, and a lot of them are very good. Check out his albums “Now More than Ever”, “Crash Bang Wallop” and “Reality Checkpoint”.

S.P.Y. - Another prolific producer at the moment. Spanning across many subgenres, he generally does neuro but often does liquid collaborations. Check out Marky & Spy – Days Go Slow , Bcee – Generations (SPY remix), Bcee & S.P.Y. - Diagnosis Murder

Spectrasoul – Spectrasoul are probably my favourite producers. I'm gonna throw these guys in both the liquid category and the neurofunk category. They're definitely way more the latter but if you're having trouble getting into neuro these are definitely the guys to check out. Try “Friction & K-Tee – Overtime (Spectrasoul Remix)” “Guardian” “Bygones” “Alibi”

Essential Tunes

Commix - Painted Smile
Cyantific – Empty Streets
B Complex – Beautiful Lies
Apex – Space Between
Netsky – Memory Lane
Netsky – Secret Agent
Nu:Tone – System (Matrix & futurebound Remix)
Seba – Snow
Seba – The Joy (Face to Face)
Shy FX – Feelings
Dub FX - Flow
Matrix & Futurebound – Skyscraper
Danny Byrd ft. Brookes Brothers – Gold Rush
Alix Perez – Melanie
D bridge ft. Calibre – Ponderosa – Another one of those Liquid/neurofunk crossover tunes.

Essential Albums/EPs/mixes

Hospital Records – Sick Music
Bachelors of Science – Science Fiction
Cyantific – Ghetto Blaster
Spearhead -Moodswings 1 & 2
Secrets of Saturn
Logistics – Reality checkpoint
London Elektricity – Billion Dollar Gravy

Calibre - Don't Mind EP
Lm1 - Blue Mountain EP

Hospital mix # - Hospital have released a bunch of standalone mixes which are hugely enjoyable. The latest one is hospital mix 8 mixed by logistics. Check them out!

Dancefloor Friendly

I don't quite know what else to call it. Somewhere in between Liquid and Jump up, these tracks are made for the dance floor and often feature ridiculous build ups and wobbling basslines. Kind of a harder version of mainstream drum and bass. If you're looking to move on from the easily accessible stuff you could try here.

Essential Labels

Ram Records – Andy C's record label. The kings of this sort of stuff. If you happen to live around London, try and check out one of the RAM@Matter club nights if you get a chance.

Breakbeat Kaos – The label that pendulum used to be signed to until they had a massive fallout with the labels owners, Adam F and DJ Fresh.

Viper Recordings

Essential Artists

Sub Focus
Xample
Nero
Fresh
Adam F
Culture Shock
Moving Fusion
Chase and Status
Pendulum
Crystal Clear
DC Breaks
Shock One
Camo & Krooked
Futurebound
Sigma
J Majik & Wickaman
TC
Demo & Cease
Jonny L

Essential Tracks

Xample and Lomax – Remember
Sub Focus – Time warp
Chase & Status – Smash TV
Sub Focus – Scarecrow
Pendulum – Slam
Nero – Act Like You Know
Demo & Cease – Ladies Night VIP

Techstep /Neurofunk

Powerful and dark without being aggressive. Generally focused a lot on the lower frequency end of the spectrum. It's difficult to define the exact names for this sort of dnb but generally neurofunk is seen as the successor to the more old school techstep sound which was around in the late 90's/early 00's.

Old school techstep

Moved away from the earlier jungle style drum and bass in the 90's by using almost exclusively synthesised sounds. Very Sci-fi sounding and often has quite sparse drum beats.

Essential Artists

Ed Rush and Optical – Pretty much defined the techstep sound and started a fresh new wave of drum and bass when everyone thought it was stagnating with the album “Wormhole”.
Bad Company UK – Made up of Maldini, Vegas, D Bridge and DJ Fresh. Released some absolutely massive tunes
Matrix
Krust
Trace
Teebee
Dom & Roland
Tech Itch
Doc Scott

Essential tunes
Ed Rush , Optical & Fierce – Alien Girl
Check out anything off the Bad Company “Classics” LP.
Konflict – Messiah

Neurofunk

I can appreciate the classics but to my ears techstep is sounding pretty dated. The 'successor' to techstep is often called neurofunk but it's been around for so long and the sound has developed into quite a broad subgenre so it's hard to say what's still called neurofunk and what isn't. To me this subgenre is the way forward for drum and bass. Rolling basslines that you can't help but groove to while still sounding dark and powerful.

I Highly recommend that you listen to these two mixes if you want to get a feel for this subgenre:

Fabriclive 44 – Commix
Reprise Agency Podcast 19 – Jubei

Essential Labels

Shogun Audio - Probably my favourite drum and bass label and definitely one of the most pioneering labels around. Owned by DJ Friction. Spectrasoul, Icicle, K-Tee, Alix Perez are signed to this label and shogun releases have recently featured tracks from Phace, total science, S.P.Y, Rockwell, and Break. Shogun audio put on some wicked nights as you can see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i5AyE6Mtrk .

Metalheadz - Owned by Goldie. One of the big driving forces in the scene at the moment. A huge number of artists have released or have planned releases on Metalheadz, including Jubei, Commix, Break, Spectrasoul, Spirit, Storm, Teebee, Calyx, Loxy, Marcus Intalex

Critical - A label owned by Kasra featuring Break, Rockwell, FD, Sabre, and Lenzman.

Renegade Hardware – Another huge driving force in the scene.

31 Records

Subtitles

Essential artists

Jubei – Pretty new on the scene but he's one of the best new producers around and he puts on a very impressive DJ set. Check out his new EP “Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained” and watch out for his forthcoming releases on metalheadz.

Spectrasoul – Probably my favourite producers. Check out “Wedgehead” , “Overtime remix” “Mimic”. These guys have the loving groove!

Break – Produced a huge number of tunes, owns the Symmetry label and is honest to god one of the best djs out there. Check out “Isis”, “Traits remix” or pretty much anything from his “Symmetry” album.

D Bridge – Originally part of Bad Company UK along with DJ Fresh, Maldini, and Vegas. He's been a real driving force in the dnb scene over the years. He has produced a lot of songs across a range of styles, check out “True Romance” “Ponderosa” “Inner Disbelief”

Alix Perez – A young producer who is already very established with releases on many labels including Shogun Audio, Creative source and Fokuz recordings with his soulful grooves. Check out his new(ish) LP 1984. His DJ sets recently have been loving sick as well. Check out his D&BTV Live 100 set, its full of wicked forthcoming tunes and it was an incredible set.

S.P.Y.- Here's a producer that has been absolutely prolific recently and he is loving smashing it. Check out “The Boy Who Cried Wolf” “Loneliness”, “Hurricane”.

Ulterior Motive – Not many tunes actually released as yet but a lot of the neuro DJs have their dubplates and they are loving smashing it. Check out “2098” , “Featherweight”, “Infrasonic”.

Rockwell – If you're pretentious and you can't get into drum and bass because you think it's too simplistic bla bla bla whine then try this guy out. He's got a really distinctive production style and his percussion is ridiculously complex. Check out “Full circle” “Bone Structure” “Stay Calm”.

Doc Scott
Phobia
Lenzman
Sabre
Icicle
Noisia
Nymfo
Commix
Klute
D Bridge
Zero T
Lynx & Kemo
Need for Mirrors
Friction & K-Tee
Kasra
FD
Hydro
Keza
ASC
Subwave
Lomax
Cern
Data
June Miller
Loxy
Ink
Mosus
HLZ
Marcus Intalex
Spirit
Silent Witness
Total Science
Jade – Part of Black Sun Empire, now releasing solo stuff.
Code 3

Essential Tunes

Spectrasoul - Wedgehead
Break – Isis
Ulterior Motive – Featherweight
Jubei – The Path
Jubei & d Bridge – Patience
D Bridge – True Romance
Ulterior Motive - 2098
Fresh – Heavyweight
Spectrasoul – Mimic
Friction & Ktee – Overtime (Spectrasoul Remix)
Alix Perez ft. Foreign Beggars – The Cut Deepens – An interesting tune, bit different to most dnb as its a dnb/hip hop crossover. Check it out
Phobia – Clean Break
Noisia – Floating Zero
Phace – Strange Science

Essential Albums/EPs /Mixes

Shogun Audio Evolution EP Series 1 – Four absolute stormers. This EP is loving sick and it's also quite accessible for someone getting into drum and bass. Definitely check this out.

Commix - Call to Mind – This album spans liquid and neurofunk and is really just a showcase of how talented commix are as producers. Check it out

Fabriclive 44 - Commix - One of the slickest mixes you will ever hear. I can't count the number of times i've heard this mix and i'm still impressed with it every time. Very classy, works well for bedroom listening or in a club. Converted a lot of my friends to drum and Bass.

Break – Symmetry – A masterpiece in this genre.

Subtitles Zero Seven Zero EP
Invisible001 EP
Rockwell - Noir EP
Shogun Assassins EPs
Jubei - Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained EP
Lomax - Faith Massive EP

Jade Presents The Venom
Alix Perez - 1984

Reprise Agency podcast 19 – Jubei
Reprise Agency Podcast 21 – Lenzman ft. Riya – This mix is awesome on its own but Riya is a female MC who sings and MCs a bit and her presence on this mix is so refreshing!
Break at Aeon Festival 2009

Agro

This subgenre is a sort of continuation of neurofunk. Again, this is my personal take on things, agro is a name I made up and many people might call this neurofunk still but I think there is enough of a difference to warrant a different name. Agro to Neurofunk is sort of like heavy metal to hard rock... Agro is eviler, faster, more aggressive (hence the name), and has harder hitting dirtier synths than neurofunk. The basslines and synths often sound “gritty” or “rough” as opposed to the smoother or more rounded synths of neurofunk.

The sort of tune that defines this genre for me is Bad Company UK – Bullet Time (Spor Remix).

Essential Labels

Vision Recordings – Noisia's Record label.
Lifted Music – Spor & Apex release on this label
Moving Shadow
Subtitles

Essential Artists

Noisia - The undisputed kings of this subgenre of drum and bass. Check out Stigma, Deception, Facade VIP, Block Control VIP.
Spor – Another huge name on this side of Drum and Bass. Check out 'Dreadnought' “Breathe In, Scream out”.
Apex (aka Unknown Error) – A master of both liquid and agro dnb, Apex is a ridiculously talented producer. Check out his “Wall of Sound” EP.
Calyx
Phace
Misanthrop
Gridlok
Teebee
Black sun empire
Maldini
Vegas
Prolix
The Upbeats
Optiv
Raiden
Axiom
Body & Soul
Fourward
Dieselboy
Mindscape
SPL
Telemetrik

Essential Tunes

Noisia – Stigma
Noisia – Deception
Apex – Hench
DJ Fresh – Heavyweight
BCUK – Bullet Time (Spor Remix)
Spor – Kingdom
Spor – Knock You Down
Spor – Dreadnaught
Phace – Strange Science

Essential Eps /Albums/Mixes

Spor - Conquerors and Commoners EP
Calyx & Teebee - Anatomy
Spor, Ewun , Phace & Evol Intent - From the Inside Out EP
Noisia, Phace, the Upbeats and Black Sun Empire - Collision EP
Ram Dimensions 4 EP
Nosia – Split The Atom
Dieselboy – Human Resource
Phace – From Deep Space
Spor – Breathe in, Scream out EP

Jump up

Taking the dancefloor friendly style to extremes. Ridiculous wobbling basslines and cheesy samples. IMO this is the kind of stuff that gives drum and bass a bad name. There ARE some gems in here, most notably original sin. I don't know a great deal about it as it's not my sort of thing so I'll leave you with a list of artist names if you want to check it out.

Essential Artists

Hazard
Dillinja
Original Sin
Taxman
Heist
Zen
Erb N Dub
Zodiac
Pleasure
Jaydan
Levela
Majistrate
Micky Finn
Northern Lights
Sensai
Die
Hype

REALLY Agro

This stuff is loving abrasive but some people like it. Featuring extreme drum breaks that are impossible to dance to, this stuff is truly in your face. I don't really have any expertise here so all I can really do is rattle off a list of names and you can check it out for yourself.

Essential Artists

Counterstrike
Current Value
Limewax
Raiden
Dylan
Gein

Autonomic

This is a subgenre that has only appeared in the past few months. It's a young sound pioneered by D Bridge and Instra:mental which is very minimal. It doesn't follow the standard drum and bass drum beat patterns and it's ridiculously deep and sci-fi sounding. Almost a crossover of minimal dubstep and minimal drum and bass.

Essential Labels

Exit
Nonplus
Autonomic

Essential Artists

D Bridge
Instra:mental
Vaccine
Skream
Distance
Consequence
ASC
Scuba
Stray

Essential Albums

Being such a new sound there isn't a huge amount of this stuff yet but the place to start is Fabriclive 50: D Bridge & Insta:mental and the club autonomic podcasts http://www.club-autonomic.com/

also try Consequence – Live for never

Going out

As I mentioned before, listening to drum and bass in your bedroom is one thing, but drum and bass is meant to be heard in a DJ mix on a huge soundsystem. Going to clubs is what drum and bass as a form of dance music is really all about. People are always asking me how I can sit in my bedroom and listen to drum and bass non stop all day. The answer is basically that I have been to so many drum and bass nights that pretty much every song I hear in my bedroom I'm just reliving my memories of hearing it at a night out. You really, really haven't properly experienced drum and bass until you've gone and appreciated it at a club and I highly recommend you get yourself to a drum and bass night some time. A lot of the neurofunk can admittedly sound a bit bland out of a set of desktop speakers but when you hear it out of a club system the bass is absolutely immense and it brings the music into a world of its own. Desktop speakers are literally incapable of reproducing the sub bass frequencies you need to really appreciate drum and bass to its fullest. One tune that is a prime example of this is "Patience" by Jubei and D bridge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S--x_u8pp_I . That is one of my favourite tunes to hear out, the bass is absolutely killer, it just grooves and rolls and rolls it is infectious, but in a bedroom setting it does sound pretty dry. I implore you to go to a dnb night if you have any interest in it I guarantee you will have a great time and it will change the way you see dnb.

Sadly I imagine most of you are American so I can't really comment on what the American dnb scene is like as I live in London, but if anyone has any questions about the London scene feel free to ask in the thread or pm me (Auspex)

I should probably address the stereotype (especially in the UK) that drum and bass is for chavs. Sure as with any stereotype there's a tiny element of truth to this and there are definitely some chavvy nights about. On the other hand, drum and bass has become very studenty and middle class and it's pretty easy to avoid the nasty nights. If you as an “average somethingawful goon” are worried about being out of place at a drum and bass night, I invite you to take a look at some of the biggest DJs in dnb at the moment. Take a look at Spectrasoul and Icicle on here http://www.shogunaudio.co.uk/artists.php and this is Break http://www.reprisemusicgroup.com/agency/audio/podcast/reprisepodcast005break.jpg. Most people in the scene are ridiculously friendly and this is why I keep going back every week. 90% of people are just there to have a good time and want to make sure everyone else is having a good time. To quote DJ Zinc - “It doesn't matter who you are, what you are, where you're from...drum and bass aint racist, it aint ageist...Its just about cool music and everyone having a good time”
[Obviously this paragraph is very tongue in cheek but you get the idea]

MCs

I'll admit this isn't a huge area of expertise of mine, however, as far as I can tell the MCing scene is divided roughly into two categories.

On the classier side of things you have SP:MC and MC ID (who are both signed to Shogun audio), and MCs like master X, ryme tyme, MC system, MC Script. These guys all know when to shut the gently caress up and let the music speak for itself, and when they're needed they come in and provide some flowing lyrics to accompany the beats, it genuinely sounds very good. I highly recommend you check out some shogun audio sets, with SP MC or MC ID and you'll see the value of a classy MC. You can see the sort of thing I'm talking in this video that was posted earlier http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i5AyE6Mtrk . That's MC ID right at the start, I was at this night and it was loving SICK.

On the other hand, you've got jump up MCs where quite often the show is more about the MCs than the music. You get these big crews of guys who just spit 500 words per minute BADABADABABADABADABDA VAUXHALLNOVA BADBABDABDA incomprehensible poo poo. It can be entertaining but after a while it does get pretty grating. If you want to check it out, try and find a set with Skibadee who I think is pretty much the king of this sort of thing. I've seen skibadee a couple of times and he is a real genuine G and a pretty good hype man. If you see an event poster and it has more MCs listed than DJs it's probably gonna be this sort of thing.

Essential links

https://www.soundcloud.com
https://www.rolldabeats.com
https://www.dnb-sets.de

Sites for buying mp3 & vinyl

https://www.beatport.com
https://www.redeyerecords.co.uk
https://www.chemicalrecords.com

Forums
https://www.dnbforum.com
forums.breakbeat.co.uk
https://www.dogsonacid.com

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons
dear Auspex and Rageaholic Monkey, i am beginning to gather than neither of you have ever gone to a jungle party ever, would this be assuming correct?

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
God damnn! I love the recommended tracks for netsky part. He has too many sick songs to pick a favorite! "Let's Leave Tomorrow" is awesomeeeeee

Auspex
Dec 21, 2005

Threatis posted:

dear Auspex and Rageaholic Monkey, i am beginning to gather than neither of you have ever gone to a jungle party ever, would this be assuming correct?

Nah I've never been to a specifically jungle night before but I've seen a few jungle sets here and there. I always enjoy them a lot but the music is just from before my time I guess. If you're clued up about jungle please educate me!

Auspex fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 26, 2010

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Threatis posted:

There's a weekly DNB/jungle night at a local club, and I've been to that a couple times. The tunes spun there were a bit too repetitive for my tastes, and there was barely anyone in attendance the times I went, so I stopped going after a couple times.

And Auspex, Jesus Christ. I'll either copy/paste that whole thing into the OP or take sections out and add them into the existing OP later. Thanks for all your effort! That's really comprehensive :)

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

I don't understand why people still try to sub-sub-subgenrelize dnb, a genre of dance music that is so wide and varied. Especially given the direction DnB has gone in the last 2-3 years.

Sure there are differences between a Camo & Krooked track as opposed to an EZ Rollers track compared to a Dillinja track, but each producer doesn't sit down and think: "Hmmm, I think I'm going to make a strictly Techstep track". They create tracks by taking elements from all kinds of different tracks. Hell, sometimes a single producer will have his tracks sorted based on the SAMPLE they use. It's silly to watch people try to compartmentalize DnB based on what they've been exposed to. People STILL fight about what's considered Jungle or what qualifies as Liquid Funk. It's dumb.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Auspex posted:

Nah I've never been to a specifically jungle night before but I've seen a few jungle sets here and there. I always enjoy them a lot but the music is just from before my time I guess. If you're clued up about jungle please educate me!

Jungle doesn't really exist anymore since it was more of an era instead of a specific sound. Sure, ragga jungle still exists, but it's such a niche audience and it's evolved quite a bit from the pure jungle roots.

For example:
Jungle - Deep Blue - Helicopter Tune
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMPhr20XPTo

Ragga Jungle - Krinjah - Bam Bam (Remix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YBcjBQLnZE

The biggest difference between these tunes is about 30 bpm. Obviously by listening you can hear the same kind of off-beat breaks used (to varied degrees; ragga jungle tends to borderline ridiculous).

Both tracks are considered "Jungle" but not because they sound the sound alike, it's because they use many of the elements (broken, chopped up breaks and drum patterns).

Subgenres like Techstep/Neurofunk/Liquid/Jump-up are building blocks for producers instead of strict blueprints.

Auspex
Dec 21, 2005
I agree with you mate which is why I said theres no official doctrine on subgenres and I wasnt gonna get too hung up on it but I reckon it makes sense to try and list things broadly in groups that sound fairly cohesive musically to help people who are just getting into dnb find tracks similar to stuff they like :). No ones fighting (yet) about what isnt what subgenre and I hope this thread doesnt devolve into that because I do agree that is stupid.

Thanks for those tracks, yeah you can see there's a gulf of difference between them even though theyre built from the same elements. I do see your point about techstep/neuro etc being building blocks rather than blueprints but no ones saying a producer is gonna sit down and say "right I'm gonna make a techstep track". However I do think the finished sounds they come up with can be _very_ broadly categorised into just a small number of rough groups. It's pointless to ignore the difference between say netsky and original sin especially when youre trying to help people discover new music they might like. :)

Auspex fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 26, 2010

EMUpirate
Oct 30, 2002

Koo Koo Ka-Chaw Koo Koo Ka-Chaw
5000 words and not a mention of clownstep?! I'm joking, Agro isn't technically a genre title and I guess the term it is more commonly referred to as is (Chris don't hate me) Darkstep (I guess anyway could be called Hardstep too but, DOA calls it Skullstep sometimes). I've been stuck with limited internet access and files for the past few weeks and I've become addicted to Noisia's Machine Gun and the Spor remix. I'm also starting to enjoy some Wonky but that's not even for this thread.

EMUpirate fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 26, 2010

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mexican Samurai posted:

Edit:

Also, this song is absolutely incredible.

Dude it is drum and bass u just skank to it. Listen for the upbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

chrix posted:

I don't understand why people still try to sub-sub-subgenrelize dnb, a genre of dance music that is so wide and varied. Especially given the direction DnB has gone in the last 2-3 years.

Sure there are differences between a Camo & Krooked track as opposed to an EZ Rollers track compared to a Dillinja track, but each producer doesn't sit down and think: "Hmmm, I think I'm going to make a strictly Techstep track". They create tracks by taking elements from all kinds of different tracks. Hell, sometimes a single producer will have his tracks sorted based on the SAMPLE they use. It's silly to watch people try to compartmentalize DnB based on what they've been exposed to. People STILL fight about what's considered Jungle or what qualifies as Liquid Funk. It's dumb.

You cant tell me theyre nit totally different cliques. This jump up local dude opened for Limewax and that poppy dude got way scowlled at.