Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Can anyone recommend some good mixes? I'm specifically looking for darker dirtier style stuff. I usually listen to dubstep, but I've always been a little interested in DnB, just never knew where to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out as soon as I'm not relying on my phone for internet. I do like Dieselboy, but I've only heard one album, I think it was System Upgrade or something like that. I remember really liking the Stakka & Skynet tracks on there.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
OK, finally got a chance to put some DNB on my phone to listen to in the car, managed to get a DJ Hype mix, a High Contrast mix, and the Pendulum essentials mix. They all kick lots of rear end, thanks for the suggestions!

Also, I don't have speakers at my work PC, but isn't Reso more of dubstep producer? Or does he go back and forth between genres? Anyways, if you like Reso, the Reso - Shower Half Hour mix is absolutely badass.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

zeldadude posted:

Get Hospital Mix 7, thank me later. And Weapons of Mass Creation 2. Oh man what a good compilation! Woooooo buddy! CLS & Wax - Quite Perfect from WOMC2 is just pure awesome :)

I'll see if I can't hunt them down... if they aren't free it's gonna be a while, can't afford to spend money on music right now so I'm looking for podcasts and the like at the moment.

And on the subject of podcasts, thank you so much whoever recommended the Mechabyte podcasts, they are exactly what I was looking for, some of those tracks are so dirty I want to take a shower.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

SUBFRIES posted:

There used to be local house DJ who played out as KY Jeffy.

This is the best thing I have ever seen.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
OK, I've got another request guys - I'm going to New Orleans this weekend, 6 hour drive each way, and my friend who is riding with me requested that I not play dubstep the entire way there and back. He said DNB would be ok. DNB will also keep me awake. Can anyone recommend some podcasts/ free mixes / any BBC Essential Mixes available for download? I already have the entire Mechabyte series (awesome), and the essential mixes from Pendulum, High Contrast, and DJ Hype. Thanks in advance.

Also, long shot, but if anyone knows of any DNB events in NO on Saturday, I'd appreciate the heads-up, not really expecting the cards to fall like that though.

e; Also, thanks for whoever recommended Mechabyte earlier in the thread, it's exactly the filth I was looking for. I really enjoyed the High Contrast mix I got as well.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

chrix posted:

Podcasts:
Autonomic Podcast
This one's on the minimal side of dnb. It's more of the "thinking man's" version of dnb. Really crisp sounds and can get you vibing nicely. No chatter, it's all mixing.

Hospital Reocrds Podcast
Easily my favorite podcast. I usually listen to every single one and I haven't found one I didn't enjoy. There's a bit of chatter, but sometimes that's ok. It's a lot of fun and they always play great tunes. Hosted by London Elektricity himself, who is head of Hospital Records.

DnBArena Podcast
This one is very similar to the Hospital Podcast, but they don't focus on one single label as much as diversifying the track selection to the whole spectrum of DnB. Still very good, hosted by a semi-famous MC, The Risky. They usually have guest mixes, so check the listings to find your favorite artists.

Shogun Audio Podcast (link is on the main page)
I've just recently started to get into this one, but so far, I've been impressed. This one's similar to the Hospital Podcast because a lot of what they play is released on Shogun or by an artist with releases on Shogun, but still very, very worth while. Hosted by a LEGEND in Dnb and Head of Shogun Audio, DJ Friction.

Thanks! Unfortunately, I don't use iTunes so it looks like I won't be able to get to a few of these. Looking forward to the Autonomic podcasts though, I've always been a fan of the minimal techno and dubstep, can't see why minimal DnB would go any differently. Here's hoping my phone's mp3 app can play .m4a files.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

SUBFRIES posted:

The Autonomic ones you can download directly off of their site.

Also, take a look at the archives on http://www.rinse.fm -- quite a few drum'n'bass shows on there lately.

I know, that's why I said I was looking forward to them :)

I'm really interested in the DNBarena podcasts, but sadly they require iTunes to download. Thankfully, I just tested one of the hospital podcasts on my phone, and it works like a charm.

I'll go check out rinse.fm right now, thanks for the tip!

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

SUBFRIES posted:

Sure thing. You might be able to find mirrors of the other podcasts. Also, here is one more site to check out:

http://www.dubplatedigest.net/

OK, now that is the poo poo, thanks so much! Looking forward to checking out the mixes from TC, High Contrast, and a few others. I don't think I'll need to ask for suggestions again for months with this site.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

chrix posted:

Just put together a new set today.

DJ Hollow Point - Minimal Funk
Length: 39:10
http://www.mixcloud.com/djhollowpoint/minimal-funk/

tracklist

Rockwell - Stowaway Dub - Digital Soundboy
Data - Splice - Metalheadz
D Bridge f/ Intsra:mental - Blush Response - Exit
Triad - La Calma - Critical
Electrosoul System - Fun (Henree Remix) - Blu Saphir
Triad - Fiasco - DSM
S.P.Y. - Moving In CIrcles - Soul:r
Data - Torn - Horizons
Commix - Bear Music - Hospital
D Bridge - A Lost Cause - Exit
Rockwell - Snare Drum Awareness - Digital Soundboy
Rockwell - My War - Shogun
Sinistarr - Leeroy Jenkins - Influence

Is there a way to DL this? I do all my listening in the car because I can actually crank up the bass.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

chrix posted:

FYI, download link is up and working :)

Thanks man, I'll be jamming this on my way home today, and if the cards fall right, might use it to test out the new subs I'm hoping to install this weekend :)

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
LTJ Bukem and MC Conrad are coming to Houston next month, are they worth seeing for ~$20? I'm still a DnB noob, more into the dubstep side of things, and while his name seems familiar I don't recall where I've heard it.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I'll take your word for it and by my tickets when I get paid this week. I'll hunt down Fabriclive 46 to listen to later. Is it an album for sale, so that posting a link would be :filez:? If so, I'll probably just grab it on AmazonMP3.Appears so, Don't know why I didn't just google it in the first place.

Also, your mix you posted last week kicked rear end, I enjoyed the hell out of it. Thanks for putting it up for download :)

Dramatika fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 20, 2010

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Another question - I need a break from juke or else my brain going to dissolve into a jumble of nothing but "pop yo back guuurrrl" and "SHE FREAKIN ME ON THE FLO", and I listened to one of Murderbot's jungle mixes the other day and it was freaking awesome. Does anyone have any other jungle mixes that are fun? I'm a little sad that I was a metal kid back when DnB and jungle were really big, I'm just now learning about all the awesome stuff I missed out on.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Mike_V posted:

MASSIVE jungle show going down on Rinse at the moment.

Thanks for this, makes my work day a bit better :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The Upbeats just released their new album "Primitive Technique" yesterday, and from what I've heard so far, it's pretty dope.

Here's the lead single, "Diffused". Apparently it was released in January, but I hadn't heard it yet and I looked through the thread and didn't see it posted, either. It's quite the thumper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgedbueyk0M

Edit: Yeah, the whole thing is positively filthy. Get on this if you like your drum n bass dripping with grime.

This is the first time I've spent money on music instead of just downloading DJ mixes in years. Thanks for posting, this is amazing.