Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

WarLocke posted:

Anything after 3058 (3057? Not gonna dig my books out to check) was getting into munchkinland, seriously.

Although Some of the designs were still nice (loved the Gallowglas).

They really pull back the min/maxing after 3055 and 3058. Some of those designs are stupid good (Starslayerrrrrrr...) The newer TROs (3075 and 3085) are fun because they introduce the low-tech original mechs. We're talking the first domestically-produced units for most houses. They are AWFUL, but so fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Defiance Industries posted:

They really pull back the min/maxing after 3055 and 3058. Some of those designs are stupid good (Starslayerrrrrrr...) The newer TROs (3075 and 3085) are fun because they introduce the low-tech original mechs. We're talking the first domestically-produced units for most houses. They are AWFUL, but so fun.

Basically 3075 and 3085 are like 3025. Somewhere there's an assault mech that only has small lasers.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's not been the same since Hanse died :smith:

7thBatallion posted:

Plus, Dark Age mechs are easy as hell to chop up and make customs, and the infantry is about ten times cheaper.
You're not kidding. At one-man-per-penny to a platoon I managed to pick up enough infantry to do four and a half regiments for about five euro. Well chuffed.

Also you're thinking of the 3025 Charger. 5 smarll lasers, HUGE engine.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Arquinsiel posted:

It's not been the same since Hanse died :smith:
You're not kidding. At one-man-per-penny to a platoon I managed to pick up enough infantry to do four and a half regiments for about five euro. Well chuffed.

Yeah, I just need to get 26 clicly units of Flamer Squads. that'll give me 15 CBT bases with 10 per. I want to start having a large amount of troops ready to burn the forests down.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Damnit, don't make me spend MORE money on a hobby that I can never indulge in. :negative:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

WarLocke posted:

Damnit, don't make me spend MORE money on a hobby that I can never indulge in. :negative:

Bullshit. Battletech is like, a million times cheaper than 40k.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

So I got a couple new minis for Christmas, and I've been dividing them up to make company-sized sets. I finally have enough Clan mechs for a trinary but I'm stuck on what the hell to paint them up as since I don't really play Clan. Plus the combo is weird - 5 Dire Wolves, 3 Timber Wolves, 4 Nova, 2 Kit Fox and a Mad Dog. I guess that's a Clan Wolf combo?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tempest_56 posted:

So I got a couple new minis for Christmas, and I've been dividing them up to make company-sized sets. I finally have enough Clan mechs for a trinary but I'm stuck on what the hell to paint them up as since I don't really play Clan. Plus the combo is weird - 5 Dire Wolves, 3 Timber Wolves, 4 Nova, 2 Kit Fox and a Mad Dog. I guess that's a Clan Wolf combo?

Mech production and trials of posession make the Clan mechs pretty incestuous...meaning you can have all of those (nominally Clan Wolf) mechs and have them be any drat clan you want (Ghost Bear)

so you can be any clan you want (Ghost Bear)

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

7thBatallion posted:

Basically 3075 and 3085 are like 3025. Somewhere there's an assault mech that only has small lasers.

gently caress you, Chargers own.

If your design was ripped off of robotech in some way, and you are not a LAM, you are an awesome mech. Catapult? Awesome. Archer? Awesomer. Rifleman? Holy gently caress he has big as AC for arms this is how to build a giant robot!

edit: we should do a goon megamek ladder.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Red_Mage posted:

edit: we should do a goon megamek ladder.

It would be nothing but Timberwolf variants, and the occasional Urbanmech from someone trying to be funny.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Error 404 posted:

It would be nothing but Timberwolf variants, and the occasional Urbanmech from someone trying to be funny.

So make every match have a gimmick condition. No clan, 20 ton drop limit, capture the flag. Actually capture the flag with megamek would be funny as hell.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Red_Mage posted:

If I could justify my Merc company having another assault mech, I would add a Charger. As it stands, I already have three or so. Plus a Clan heavy.

Did I ever tell you guys why I left Battletech? I could have sworn I made a E/N thread about it. Anyways, I left during a turbulent period, when repros were common, and I was redflagged by the FBI as a terrorist. If you guys want to hear the story, let me know.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 2, 2011

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

That sounds hilarious.

For gimmick matches, my best friend and I sometimes used to do 'Iron Chef BT' with a mechbuilder like Drawing Board and megamek. Every match had a theme, like 'Battle GAY-C-5' wherein every mech had to shoehorn in an AC/5 somewhere of some kind (although we did limit it to one RAC per team). I think we had something like a 150 ton limit but within that you had to do four courses (mechs) each different from the others and field them as a lance.

It was awesome.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

7thBatallion posted:

The Peacekeeper in 3085 isn't quite a charger, but it's drat close. That thing is a shitbox. Also, the Gallant wastes an amazing amount of tonnage by being 70 tons rather than 65.

I've spoken with a lot of the staff that has been making the designs since 3075, and well... it seems that they get given a lot more design guidelines than they did in 55 and 58 (which probably resulted in all the uber designs). It's apparently a lot more like a design challenge thread than anything else.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 3, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Red_Mage posted:

So make every match have a gimmick condition. No clan, 20 ton drop limit, capture the flag. Actually capture the flag with megamek would be funny as hell.

I do believe we have a good idea!

At the very least, getting a few games going sounds like a plan.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

7thBatallion posted:

Did I ever tell you guys why I left Battletech? I could have sworn I made a E/N thread about it. Anyways, I left during a turbulent period, when repros were common, and I was redflagged by the FBI as a terrorist. If you guys want to hear the story, let me know.

Haha, I definitely want to hear this!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

7thBatallion posted:

You have to tell us the story now.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

WarLocke posted:

Haha, I definitely want to hear this!

A long long time ago, I can still remember how that music used to make me smile.

Wait, wrong story. I confused myself for Don McLean. My bad. Anyways, it was a long time ago, just a year or two after 9/11. This was back before I was a goon, before I was even a lurker. 9/11 jokes were fresh, the classic Knock Knock joke was still new, and terrorism was still slightly scary because they hadn't failed miserably 6 times in a row. I mean really, who tries to light plastic explosives? loving morons.

Anyways, there was this guy. I knew not his name, only that he went by Sarge and had a website called "Mechdepot." He started off by selling low quality casts of the Unseens. Generally we were cool with this, as the unseens are hard as hell to find, and poo poo, FASA didn't have the license for them so whatever. gently caress the Japanese, they took my Marauder IIC.

At least that was our attitude for a while. People started calling him on his repros, it started off as just one or two. Then he pushed it. He started making repro Zeus and Atlases, then a Stalker, and slowly he expanded his library of current issue Repros. That then spread to a handful, then over a dozen. Each time he was asked about it, he responded with The Bible. Now, I'm not religious, but when someone uses a religious text to defend their actions, I get pissed. We kept on calling him, and he got angrier and angrier, claiming that we were attacking him because of his Christian faith, that we were bigoted, and well, he was acting like a oval office. In an off handed remark, the equivalent to a mutter under my breath, I said that someone needs to c4 this bastards server.

Flash back to a year prior. One of the admins at LotB, Cache, sparred with me constantly. From the get-go he hated me, and took every opportunity to probate me. For simply arguing a point in the LotB version of LF, I got a week long ban, something that others did with impunity. this back and forth bickering continued until Sarge came into play. Cache was a friend of Sarge, and in a completely unrelated incident banned me for another week. I was in the middle of a trade for a coveted Marauder IIC in package. I emailed him asking for PM rights to at least finish the trade, in accordance with the rules, he said no. I asked again, he said no. I called him an arrogant oval office who has about as much rule as a fat kid on the playground who beats other kids up because his daddy touches him at night, he permabanned me. The permabanning took place right after my little c4 comment.

Now understand that Cache is a vengeful man. Not quite as I, but still, he likes getting the last word. So he called Sarge. And gave him a transcipt of my posts, and the contact info for the Seattle Division of the FBI. I had no idea any of this was happening until I found this on my door when I got back from my pissant technical college.

At first I assumed my dad was in trouble. He's worked with the FBI before, picking open safes in storage spaces while guys behind him are in full bomb gear. He also survived for years as a drug runner in the worst part of Seattle. Having the FBI involved with him would nothing new, but still a concern. I called them over 40 times from the home phone before I assumed it wasn't important and left for work in Seattle. I then called them from a payphone in the Metro Bus Tunnel, right next to where I work. He answered.

It turns out I was being investigated for domestic terrorism. Sarge has called the FBI claiming that I was threatening to kill him as a "militant athiest" and was "attacking him due to his religious beliefs." that's not to mention that he tried to play himself off as a serious business, called "Mechanical Depot, Inc." The Agent, Dennis, had a bit of tiredness and sarcasm in his voice. The standard questions were asked, if I possess explosives, if I want to kill this man, if I wish to acquire explosives, and such. The tone was monotonous, and I asked him if Sarge was a jacakss to hm too. He answered yes, and our phone call was over.

Of course the saga doesn't end there. Three years later Sarge is at it again. He was doing the same things he did before, but now he was covering all the unseens and an array of official 'Mechs. I wanted revenge. I wanted sweet victory. I wanted him wiped off the map. So I did the most horrible thing one could do. I made a deal with the devil. Literally. I called Harmony Gold. With his address, full name, website, and everything else that mattered, I left it in their hands. Last I heard was from his wife, who *somehow* got wind of all this, and left. With all his cash, his car, and anything else of value. He hasn't been heard from since. My FBI record has been expunged, Dennis has left the Seattle office for DC, and in the end, I won.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 3, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

7thBatallion posted:

Anyways, there was this guy. I knew not his name, only that he went by Sarge and had a website called "Mechdepot."

You know, I used to lurk there. I always wondered what happened to that site. :ms:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

7thBatallion posted:

Yeah, I just need to get 26 clicly units of Flamer Squads. that'll give me 15 CBT bases with 10 per. I want to start having a large amount of troops ready to burn the forests down.
One man per penny for infantry, that way you can stack them on tiles with mechs etc, for swarm attacks and being carried by omnis.

Red_Mage posted:

If your design was ripped off of robotech in some way, and you are not a LAM, you are an awesome mech. Catapult? Awesome. Archer? Awesomer. Rifleman? Holy gently caress he has big as AC for arms this is how to build a giant robot!
Catapult ain't from Robotech, you're thinking of the Longbow, which is a bit meh.

7thBatallion posted:

SARGE
I think he's still going on ebay, claiming that he buys bulk lots of old minis and puts the valuable ones up on ebay before melting the crap down for fishing weights.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Arquinsiel posted:

I think he's still going on ebay, claiming that he buys bulk lots of old minis and puts the valuable ones up on ebay before melting the crap down for fishing weights.

Already sent HG an email about it a week ago. I will ruin that man.

:tviv: The guy that I contacted at Harmony Gold? Same guy I talked to last time. I think I owe him drinks now.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 4, 2011

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Lords of the Battlefield has a colossally lovely community for the most part (with the usual exception or five noted). The political forum in particular is basically FreeRepublic.com 2.0. I'm glad you ruined one of its more obnoxious members.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Xotl posted:

The political forum in particular is basically FreeRepublic.com 2.0.

LotB is a cesspool of some of the worst people on the internet. from topics such as "Letting gays shower with straight troops is like having your wife showering with rapists"

"Chris Christie for president!"

"Obamacare casualties"

"Drug addicts get sterilized?"

On america's Chapel being torched, "And make me want to have the punishment fit the crime. ALL those in league with this, from the politicians (who wanted it done) to those financing it, to those who burnt it down should all be placed IN a building and stay inside while IT burns down."

On China not getting involved with North Korea. "Unfortunately, it will take the above mentioned steps from those rat, commie bastards and all 3 divisions of Marines and god knows how many regular army. "

"Another reason to hate unions"

LotB is worthless. Unless you sincerely love the Tea Party.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It seems to be the only reliable source of unseen mechs on the entire internet though, which bites.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
Most wargame or wargame-like forums are full of insufferable wannabe fascists, it is no surprise that a battletech forum run by an internet conservative would be awful.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

FWL Fan reporting in. I must be one of the few who actually enjoys the Holy Roman Empire in SPACE!!! (Fake Thomas Marik is just awesome.)

That said I am another one who would much rather read the fluff than actually play the game. For some reason even though it is just an excuse for giant stompy robots to shoot other giant stompy robots I enjoy the fiction.

One Question though anyone know anywhere where the Dark Age novels are still for sale I have had no joy trying to find them on the internet even tried :filez: and had no luck.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Ferrosol posted:

FWL Fan reporting in. I must be one of the few who actually enjoys the Holy Roman Empire in SPACE!!! (Fake Thomas Marik is just awesome.)

Haha you're with the guys who get stomped on every time there's a war. :negative:

Then again I was a huge Steiner fanboy when I first came across the universe. But then you get the whole FedCom merging and I guess now I'm even more of a Davion supporter. Doesn't help that every major Steiner was an asshat, I guess.

quote:

One Question though anyone know anywhere where the Dark Age novels are still for sale I have had no joy trying to find them on the internet even tried :filez: and had no luck.

Why would you read that crap? They're horrible. I swear, I read one where the main dude's 'mech (some made-up new DA design) suffered 'cracks in reactor shielding' at least 5 times over the course of the book. I loving swear that has to be some sort of click counter on the actual figure and the guy was just writing out games as he played them (shades of Stackpole :downs:)

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

WarLocke posted:

Haha you're with the guys who get stomped on every time there's a war. :negative:

Then again I was a huge Steiner fanboy when I first came across the universe. But then you get the whole FedCom merging and I guess now I'm even more of a Davion supporter. Doesn't help that every major Steiner was an asshat, I guess.

Why would you read that crap? They're horrible. I swear, I read one where the main dude's 'mech (some made-up new DA design) suffered 'cracks in reactor shielding' at least 5 times over the course of the book. I loving swear that has to be some sort of click counter on the actual figure and the guy was just writing out games as he played them (shades of Stackpole :downs:)

Well being the FWL fan that I am I want to see how precisely they stick us back together. Also on the losing wars front I think you have us confused with Lyrans who have lost in no particular order to the FWL,Draconis Combine,Clan Wolf,Clan Jade Falcon,Fedsuns,WOB. Admittedly we do fight the occasional civil war that knocks us down a bit, but that's the only thing holding back our awesomeness.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Ferrosol posted:

Also on the losing wars front I think you have us confused with Lyrans who have lost in no particular order to the FWL,Draconis Combine,Clan Wolf,Clan Jade Falcon,Fedsuns,WOB.

In their defense, four of those six were things everybody lost to for a while.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ferrosol posted:

Well being the FWL fan that I am I want to see how precisely they stick us back together.
You won't. They skipped ahead too far to give you much more detail than "it happened".

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Arquinsiel posted:

"it happened".

Goddammit. When did Dick Lochner start writing CBT fluff?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

7thBatallion posted:

Goddammit. When did Dick Lochner start writing CBT fluff?

Anybody is better than Loren Coleman. :emo:

(Stackpole will always be The Man :swoon:)

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

WarLocke posted:

Well, people would die in gruesome ways, but it would take 6 books to progress a single story and the first 2/3 of each book would be recapping the previous one.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 6, 2011

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
All the new mech designs are going to inexplicably have the no/minimal arms quirk.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

WarLocke posted:

Ugh, Stackpole. Some of the worst dialogue I have ever read comes from the Kai/Diedre subplot in BoK. And the Warrior trilogy is the story of the invincible hero beating the shot out of the smallest guy he can find, so that's somehow even worse.

Charette or bust.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Charette or bust.

Nystul, Billings, Pardoe. :colbert:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I really liked Pardoe when he did Exodus Road, but like many southern SF writers, hecwants to refigjt the civil war in space. Having people whose primary cultural traditions are Anglo-French and German allude to the US Civil War constantly is like having a Rambo movie where Rambo won't stop talking about Napoleon.

As for the other two, what did they write?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

For those interested, PoptartsNinja is doing a Battletech LP. Just started, and obviously relevant to us.

Also, the CBT official forums are apparently dead.

quote:

Due to a security breach the forums are being taken down indefinitely while the damage to the system is accessed. Because of the nature of this breach it is unlikely we will be restoring a backup of user accounts as it is impossible to know who's passwords and accounts have been compromised.

We are currently accessing our options and will get the forums back up in one form or another as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Jason M. Knight classicbattletech.com System Administrator

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, and they're highly competant forum admins too! :rolleyes:

Seriously, how hard is it to just restore the backups and set everyone's password to expire last week then patch the hole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LOLshevik
Dec 3, 2007

There is a Socialist Revolution unfolding...in my pants.
As far as I know, this hasn't been undertaken/circulated before.

Whether you think its warranted, or ascends me closer to nerd godhood, is another question altogether. :ohdear:

• Locked thread