Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

So last weekend, I bought for the low low piece of $8, an original TRO:3025, with the misprints and everything. Some dude has offloaded his collection at Guardian Games here in Portland, so they had all kinds of poo poo. Had the really old Clan SBs, the Wolfs Dragoons SB, and Living Legends, the goofiest of all MW adventures.

So in closing, it was a good weekend.

Furillo rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They've got a whole rack of minis set up now, which is pretty cool. All the staffers I talked to were saying they're moving a lot more BT merch lately and the game has been trending up.

A dude on the CBT.com forums ran a demo even there a couple weeks ago; I missed it because it was at like five and by then I was already wasted. Shame.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

WarLocke posted:

Anything after 3058 (3057? Not gonna dig my books out to check) was getting into munchkinland, seriously.

Although Some of the designs were still nice (loved the Gallowglas).

They really pull back the min/maxing after 3055 and 3058. Some of those designs are stupid good (Starslayerrrrrrr...) The newer TROs (3075 and 3085) are fun because they introduce the low-tech original mechs. We're talking the first domestically-produced units for most houses. They are AWFUL, but so fun.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

7thBatallion posted:

Basically 3075 and 3085 are like 3025. Somewhere there's an assault mech that only has small lasers.

The Peacekeeper in 3085 isn't quite a charger, but it's drat close. That thing is a shitbox. Also, the Gallant wastes an amazing amount of tonnage by being 70 tons rather than 65.

I've spoken with a lot of the staff that has been making the designs since 3075, and well... it seems that they get given a lot more design guidelines than they did in 55 and 58 (which probably resulted in all the uber designs). It's apparently a lot more like a design challenge thread than anything else.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 3, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

WarLocke posted:

Anybody is better than Loren Coleman. :emo:

(Stackpole will always be The Man :swoon:)

Ugh, Stackpole. Some of the worst dialogue I have ever read comes from the Kai/Diedre subplot in BoK. And the Warrior trilogy is the story of the invincible hero beating the shot out of the smallest guy he can find, so that's somehow even worse.

Charette or bust.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I really liked Pardoe when he did Exodus Road, but like many southern SF writers, hecwants to refigjt the civil war in space. Having people whose primary cultural traditions are Anglo-French and German allude to the US Civil War constantly is like having a Rambo movie where Rambo won't stop talking about Napoleon.

As for the other two, what did they write?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

LOLshevik posted:

As far as I know, this hasn't been undertaken/circulated before.

Whether you think its warranted, or ascends me closer to nerd godhood, is another question altogether. :ohdear:

I have a hard time calling Davion good, since their entire society is built around military conquest of their neighbors and nothing else. They're not really any better than Kurita except that their methodology isn't batshit. I have a hard time knowing where the AFFS ends and the rest of the Federated Suns begins.

And ComStar? Old ComStar is Lawful Evil, post-Schism ComStar is a sort of bumbling Lawful Good.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

7thBatallion posted:

Clix saved Battletech from death. You owe WizKids everything. Except your money, you owe Catalyst and Games Workshop that.

I don't know if clix saved it, since FanPro sublicensed the line almost immediately. WK certainly did, and Weissman, yeah. OTOH BT is what made Weissman, Weissman used that capital for WK, WK saved BT, so really... BT saved ITSELF!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Banshee-3E? Ughhhh. I mean, I know it can't be the 3S because then you have the best L1 assault breaking poo poo all over the place, but why not the 3Q?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tempest_56 posted:

FM: Crusader Clans, normally. But Kappa Galaxy was formed late, after that book was written. That's after they stopped assigning unit specials, I believe.

Best bet? Half the clusters in Kappa didn't exist before, and the other half were part of Omega Galaxy at the time of FM:CC. So go with Omega's specials which are FM: CC, p.178.

Check out Masters & Minions. Not only is it a fun book, it also has special unit rules for a bunch of new units formed between the FM and the time M&M came out.

Sadly still no rules for the Lyran Irregulars, though.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

lilljonas posted:

On a scale from 1 to 10, with 1 being Star Trek Hippie Enlightened Future and 10 being 40K Grimdark, where would you put the Battletech universe when it comes to how dystopic it is?

Others are pretty square but one big factor is where you live. If you live on some Davion skid row world your life is pretty lovely. You probably can't read, have no access to health care, and maybe don't even own a tractor for your dirt farm, just a mule. The planet is probably poor in resources and trade almost never comes. The ComStar post is like a wizard's tower.

If you live on a world like Furillo or Coventry, you probably drive your fusion-powered hovercar to work each day and enjoy access to near-Star League level health care and education. On these worlds, the Golden Age of the Star League isn't a vague idea, it was a time when there was just less war.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

All Clan logos are lovely. Just like the Clans: designed by someone with brain damage.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I just picked up the Operation Klondike historical and am reading through it. I'd just like to say: holy poo poo most of these people were really unbalanced who founded the Clans. Andery Kerensky seems like the only one who has his head on halfway straight.

e: Oh, and the dude who founded Clan Cloud Cobra. He seemed okay. Too bad nobody listened to him when he was like "Yo, reeducation camps? That's kinda messed up, Nick. Some of us spent time in those."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Haraksha posted:

Most of the time, there's some kind of reasonable offset to these super weapons. What is the downside of taking that machine gun array? Is it just the range?

Really short range plus rolling on the cluster table.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Field Report: LAAF came out today. Not only did the 2nd Donegal make it through, but they moved to the top of the supply chain. Yeaaaah.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

WarLocke posted:

In the 100-ton bracket you literally need nothing but the Atlas (for IS mechs anyway). :black101:

If you need more assaults take your pick between the Banshee, Cyclops, Stalker, Zeus, Victor and Awesome.

Eh, I'd take a Pillager, Fafnir or Devastator. And a Hauptmann over any of those.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I rather prefer IS 3050+ tech to Clan equipment. Clantech is too drawback free for me to be really keen on it most of the time.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I mean like, all Clantech weapons are just like they took L1 IS weapons and made them lighter and do more damage. The stuff that interests me are things like HGRs and SNPPCs, which do different damage at different ranges, C3, Stealth armor... you know, complicated poo poo.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I know a couple of the guys on staff, but your best bet is to attend GenCon or other similar events. Almost all the big players at Catalyst man the booth themselves, which is pretty cool.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ice Hellion is already gone. CHH and CJF wiped them out when they tried to move to the Inner Sphere .

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

By the late 3050s, when they introduced all the other clans, there are basically two axes on the Clan spectrum. You have Warden (protect the Inner Sphere from outside predation, which basically means other Clans and assholes in the deep Periphery) and Crusader (invade and take over Terra) but also an Invader and Home axis.

Being an Invader Clan gives you access to a lot of power, in terms of resources and population. The Kerensky Cluster is way lovely. So the Clans who are in that position want to limit who has it, and the Clans who aren't generally want to be. An invading Crusader Clan like CJF might work with a Home Warden Clan like the Coyotes to keep another Clan from coming to the IS, or even an Invading Warden Clan so the two of them can stay on top of the heap.

Basically Clans had four groups and you could pick two.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The origins are in Wolves on the Border, far and away the best BT novel ever.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It was another Stackpole moment basically. He kills like four mechs by himself, including a Marauder.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He's pretty awesome until you hear the dialogue Stackpole makes him say.

In fact, every character Stackpole has written is diminished by them having give Stackpole lines. Jesus christ.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Diogenes Cynicus posted:

"Kai Allard-Liao felt the weight of his ancestors upon him as he tried his best to live up to his parents' imaginary expectations. 'I ruin everything I touch,' he thought, effortlessly downing a fifth Clan heavy in his Centurion."

Anything that came out of Diedre's mouth after she and Kai started loving made me roll me eyes and wonder if Stackpole had ever actually had sex with someone and then talked to them after.

PeterWeller posted:

Stackpole can't be as bad as Robert N. Charette.

I'm not a fan of Wolf Pack, but Wolves on the Border is awesome. Charette wrote one book that was as boring as the stuff Stackpole wrote, and one book that's better than every other BattleTech book there is. Charette wins.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PeterWeller posted:

I'll give the guy another shot if I can find WotB at my local Half Price. Is it going to take until page 300 for some mechs to start fighting? I'm not reading Btech novels for high drama and great dialog; I'm reading them for sweet robot fights.

I read them more for bastardly behavior, myself. The mech fights are all pretty much the same; read enough BT novels and you just start skipping them.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

7thBatallion posted:

So I have this crazy plan when I get a job and/or win the lottery. I need to make the Mechwarrior outfit from MW4: Vengeance. It seems pretty easy, a Gentex flight helmet and some sort of tactical vest. I figure I could easily paint it up in my company logos, put a bigass Starlancer II logo on the front, get the Gentex mics hooked up to a GMRS radio and go all out in a Battletech pod. That I can di with a simple job.

Now for the big question. How hard would it be to modify a Battletech pod? for about a year I've wanted to rewire the eject button to be over the pilots head and attached to an ejection seat handle that you have to pull, and toss in an actual ejection seat while I'm at it. I also figured I as well as upgrade all the buttons, rockers, and panels up to milspec, while making the pod so compact as to be slightly uncomfortable. Basically one of these days I want to personalize a pod to be as accurate as possible without making a Neurohelmet.

How loving insane am I?

Well, for one thing, you missed a super important part of the outfit. You should be wearing nothing but the vest, hot pants, and giant armored boots with super-thick soles.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

CampingCarl posted:

When I think of neurohelmets I think of the helmet Magneto from Xmen has. There has to be one of those in toy stores now.

Nah, needs to be more giant.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tetsuhara is one of the like... three characters who were major novel characters that I don't hate.

He's that good.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PeterWeller posted:

Well, aside from him and Jaime, every other major character is some dickbag trying to gently caress over him and Jaime.

The villains in the book are comically villainous.

E: "I'm too honorable for this poo poo."

No, I mean all novels.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PeterWeller posted:

What the hell do you read?

Tetsuhara is pretty loving cool, but he's no Samuel Hamilton or Joe Kavalier.

I meant within the BT context. I like a lot of characters who appear in sourcebooks or the short fictions therein, but novel characters besides Tetsuhara and a couple others are all so. loving. Annoying.

Obviously I don't hate all characters in all novels.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

S.J. posted:

The 'Mech in the trailer is a Warhammer, that's one of the Unseen, right?

Yeah, a lot of the more universal designs in 3025 are. The unseen fiasco made it hard to do any new products in that era that would have art for a while.

The argument with some of the designs is resolved, though. The Thunderbolt is okay again, for instance. Catalyst prefers not to use out of house art anymore, though, to avoid it happening again.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Haraksha posted:

I thought this was the whole point of Project Phoenix? They could reintroduce the unseen with changes to their appearance so that they wouldn't be afoul of HG. Yeah, some of the new designs suck, but some of them are fine.

The Phoenix designs were introduced in the 3060s. MW5 takes place in 3015 (the absolute lowest point of tech in the Succession Wars, might I add!)

I think all the teeth-gnashing about how the classic designs were "ruined" prompted that stance, versus TRO:3055, whose new art is a straight retcon. Course nobody was attached to the 3055 art cause it was ugly as gently caress.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think, generally, they did a good job with the mediums and assaults, not so much with lights and heavies.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well, anything that straight up looked like an airplane for a CT (Stinger, PHawk, Valk) is going to be an upgrade, natch.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PeterWeller posted:

How can someone so intelligent say something so, so, so utterly loving wrong. The veritech designs loving ruled.

The new valk and phawk do look pretty cool, but not nearly as cool as they used to.

They made sense as LAMs. As standard, non-transformy machines they were just out of place.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

WarLocke posted:

See, this is why you should ignore any tech introduced after 3055 or so. Stuff like protomechs is just loving dumb. :colbert:

Counter-argument: HGRs, Light Engines, PPC capacitors, ELRMs.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Don't mind those either.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Holybat posted:

The release of this book has just accentuated how the CBT forums are a pit of :negative: and it's hilarious.

I saw one guy bitching for like 12 posts about how his faction's being ruined and how he's never buying another Catalyst product again.

And he had the balls to rank the Historical: Reunification War as a 6/10. gently caress THAT

As a regular poster, I can assure you that he's not even the worst of them.

The guy who goes through all the FMs and averages every single faction's RATs and upgrade ratings to prove that he's being discriminated against is.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Where do you guys find miniatures for specific mechs? Like I see a protomech in a book and I'm like, "drat, I want to cover that mech in paint."

Is there a good website where you can find / buy mech miniatures by era / book / mech type?

Have you checked Iron Wind Metals? They're the ones who actually make them.

• Locked thread