Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Leperflesh posted:

"3160 Black hole opens near Sol", hilarious! Just randomly hey bam there's a black hole here now!

Sometimes you just need to gently caress with Sol system. It's how they keep time in the Battletech universe, they measure the massive threats to Terra and surrounding regions. When something massive threatens and/or takes control of it, the status quo has probably changed. The random dickery of the factions against each other just sort of blurs over time, and nobody really cares. Without Terra as a neutral arbiter of when poo poo has gotten 'real', people really wouldn't have any idea how worried they should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Xotl posted:

It was posted on April 1 guys - it's a joke.

Yes, but that's what the joke is. "Ok, this giant list of fake poo poo needs some way to brutally gently caress with Terra somehow". Otherwise it's not a 'real' [fake] Battletech timeline.

quote:

Either that or I need to start working on TR 3250: Rollerskating Disco Mechs.

Also yes, you should be doing this anyway.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
To be fair like 90% of the setting that isn't just "Random dudes" is a racial stereotype, and probably a racist Asian stereotype at that. It's one of the reasons I could never entirely hate the Word of Blake. Sure they were genocidal religious fanatics, but at least they took steps to actually attempt to change the status quo and advance humanity in the face of terrible....terrible factions. Why shouldn't they feel insane rage at the idea a bunch of incestuous feudal douchemongers banded together to drive the Clans back for nine seconds, then immediately fell apart and focused on their petty dominance games again? The Clans entire purpose is controlling the Inner Sphere and taking Terra. They are a militaristic society that has eliminated natural breeding as a normal thing in their quest for martial dominance, and their one goal is loving up everyone you know. Maybe you take a century or two and put them in the ground before you get back to pretending your ethnic cosplay matters.

Mostly I loved the fact they played up the idea in places that the WoB knew they could never really win over a long enough timeline, they just wanted to make everyone else suffer for being so poo poo before they went out, and possibly to make something new rise up in the chaos of their attack. After the ultimate wet fart that was the Clans entire existence, it was nice to see someone take a *real* shot at destroying everything that opposed them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
You have one goal as a society, you have hundreds of years to plan for it, you have technological superiority over your incredibly fractured enemy, you have infiltrated their society and they have *no idea* you even exist, and when the time comes to make your move...you almost instantly fail, and are counter-invaded so hard *they* reach *your* capital. And it's not even like your enemies were trying very hard when they stomped you. You got the B grade effort, and it crushed nearly everything you put in front of it.

Comparatively the WoB was just a natural consequence of fully unleashing the always vaguely talked about technological and industrial superiority of Terra and Comstar. Sure they were always going to lose because they were *massively* outnumbered and they were attacking absolutely every single thing possible to attack, but they made everyone pay in blood to take them out. The Clans showed up and....ultimately nobody even cared that much. That is just so sad. I like that the end result back in Clan space was the clans having a psychotic break and tearing each other apart, and other clans just fleeing to the Inner Sphere to ultimately become something not really Clanish.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Leo Showers posted:

gently caress aerospace, all the fun is with BIG STOMPY ROBITS

To be fair it's really really fun to have that moment of quasi-realism where you completely wreck someone's poo poo with a bunch of aerospace units and go "Walking tanks are stupid, why would you think that would ever work? :smug:". Generally shortly after that you want to mess around with the stupid robots again, but that voice deep inside that says "Just get a Warship and glass their planet from orbit" never quite goes away for good.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
The Clans literally based everything they did around one single action: Returning to the Inner Sphere and taking over. They failed, miserably, against a force that honestly wasn't even *vaguely* organized and that was technologically inferior to them. They then got counter-invaded and lost an entire Clan. When you institute a warrior society and fight an unorganized enemy with inferior technology? You have to win for your society to continue. The fact they got their poo poo packed just made them go insane and self-destruct that much faster.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

DrPop posted:

What have they worked on in the past, besides Shadowrun?

Jordan Weisman was one of the founders of FASA, and so games he's worked on in the past would include "This game that his company created in the first place". He had one of the more successful Kickstarter campaigns to get his new company the money to make a Shadowrun game himself. It seems to have gone alright. Made money, learned from mistakes, second Kickstarter was also pretty successful. So now they are thinking of branching out into the other old FASA IPs he got the rights to years back, including Battletech and Crimson Skies. Honestly I'd rather it's Crimson Skies, as I think it plays to their strengths better than trying to do justice to a Battletech game would.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

Did ANYONE? It's always just been a mishmash of every faction's "good" quality from WK trying really, really hard to make people care about the Republic.

I liked the attempt at having someone pull their head out of their racially stereotyped rear end for nine-fifths of a second to try to build something that matters rather than masturbating their ego at their chance to be a quickly forgotten warlord trying and failing to stomp their name into the history books. I just liked them knowing they were always going to fail. Conversely I can not see a single Clan that could make it to ilClan I wouldn't hate, because all Clans are stupid and incompetent. They basically have no choice but to fire off a series of the most bullshit deus ex moves in a row for any of those chuckleheads to even have a chance of sniffing the air on Earth.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

Dude, Devlin Stone named their money after himself and vanished in the most ~mysterious~ way possible so that people would keep asking where he was. There was a fuckload of masturbation involved. The only difference between him and the guy who founded the Marian Hegemony is that the Marian guy wasn't handed control of Terra and ComStar and he wasn't ceded some of the most important planets in the Inner Sphere because everyone decided they wanted to be his best friend.

Ah, but I didn't say I like them. I said I liked them knowing they'd fail. It makes everything about them excusable, because they clearly won't be sticking around for that long. Watching one nation trying to build some cross-faction unity and rebuild the ideals of the Star League is fine, they are clearly going to lose because it's a war game. And when they screw up in the same ways as the others, well, I won't have to put up with it long because they are clearly going to get stomped by someone. Like the Jihad. It was never going to succeed, so it's fun to watch the Word of Blake just make a suicidal charge against the Houses for being feudalistic assholes, and the Clans for being Nazis. Were they *also* total monsters? Sure, but they at least were going to lose and be taken off the table. And it's also fun to give the total monsters a point, so you can remind people that just because he ate a baby doesn't mean you weren't a total rear end in a top hat. And the Republic was never remotely as bad as the WoB, so it makes it easier to like them trying to do something different.

It's easier to excuse the flaws of a nation you know will take a hit and be eliminated.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Solaris is an excuse to go "How heavy and how fast can I go to survive long enough to deliver one insanely massive melee attack?" in a environment you are unlikely to have to worry about massive armies or air support or any other thing other than fighting another really crazy built mech. Take that excuse.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Kommando posted:

I'm tired of these munchkin robotech special snowflakes demanding so much attention.
LAMs are dumb Transformers that return us time and again to special rules territory, all so munchkin players can WiGE around in airmech mode and pretend to be anime heroes. To the detriment and chagrin of the other players.

CGL is right to nerf them and write them out. Bad unbalanced ideas are allowed to die.
Except, it seems, in Battletech.

Psst. Hey.

Hey buddy.

Giant robots are objectively stupid and impractical and anyone with sense would just bomb poo poo from orbit forever with the technology they have, making irrelevant the entirety of Battletech as a setting. Everyone that plays this game is the anime.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
God I hate Clan Wolf, and would be profoundly happy if they get wiped out in the ilClan madness. That is all I hope for out of this, the final destruction of Clan Wolf. There are way too many clans, it's time to thin the herd. Might as well start there.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
We need to be down to zero, the clans lost all reason to exist the second they failed at the one thing they spent centuries planning to do. Even if one of them takes Terra now, it will only be because the rest of the Inner Sphere had such a hard on for fighting each other they didn't even bother to put up any resistance. None of them are actually competent enough to win against them when they are trying.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Strobe posted:

They can't stop existing, because it would require fundamentally altering the attitudes of every single member of the ruling caste simultaneously, which will never happen.

But of course it already has in so many of the Clans in the Inner Sphere. They are day by day marching away from what it meant to be "Clan", and becoming something new. It got so bad in the minds of the purists back home they literally went insane and started to cull their entire population. And since that day it's only escalated from there. Almost none of the Clans that are left are something that would be accepted by the original Clans and their beliefs on how to act. No matter what happens, the Clans as they were have already been fundamentally destroyed simply by the existence of the Inner Sphere and contact with it.

quote:

Whether or not that's still identifiably Clan (it is) is largely pointless to discuss, since the Ghost Bears in particular and the Ravens in slightly less effective fashion have decided that existing is a worthwhile goal in and of itself.

I don't think it is, because it makes the point. The Clans don't really work outside their bubble. The ones that prosper are the ones that acknowledge that and change, or who get handed authorial fiat to thrive for some reason. Pretending any of that ilClan bullshit still matters considering how much every remaining Clan has flouted what they all originally stood for? Would be cra-cra.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

You get that the intention of all the "Clan-ness" of Clan society was to preserve the society until such a time as the return could be effected, right? If anything, but NOT abandoning Zelbrigen and their social structure to subsume themselves into a reconstituted SLDF the second they decided to go home they already abandoned what it means to be "Clan" entirely.

Yes, the Clans are terrible on every conceivable level and the only one of them worth a drat was Wolverine, who actually stopped and went "Yeah....this all seems kind of like a hosed up messianic war cult, we aren't putting up with this bullshit." and peaced out, but there are degrees of hypocrisy. They've all forgotten what the Star League actually stood for, that's just a given, but even as eugenics obsessed war cultists they've gotten pretty far from the line. The longer some of them still keep playing the same games, the sadder it looks.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Strobe posted:

I'm getting this weird sense that since you personally dislike the Clans' value system that makes them bad as factions, characters, and story telling elements.

The Clans aren't bad because they're hosed up, that's awesome because they're hosed up. One of the best examples of a truly alien human culture in science fiction.

They are cool to introduce, but when you come around to a century of their presence they get sad. They are just vandals, hilariously ironic barbarians at the gate that came from some of the best and brightest of the Star League leaving in disgust at what it became. The fact their caste system has some weird genetic manipulation issues added doesn't make it any less traditional caste bullshit, and the oddness of their eugenics program is matched only by it's total irrelevance. They spent centuries trying to build the perfect warrior, and lost the only fight that ever mattered to them. Even now their only advantage is how massively some of them focus on war, and their vague and kind of retarded advantage of "Clan Tech". They don't really seem to fight any better than any given well trained Inner Sphere force. It's fun to see what they become next at this point, and much less so to see some trying to do the same thing again. Trying to do "Clan Invasion, but this time they win" seems like missing the point of everything interesting about them assuming you play it straight. Which is, to be fair, a big assumption about a thing that hasn't meaningfully happened to any degree yet and they may not do. It just seems that some people want it played straight, and I do not get that in the slightest. Even from a "It's a war game, we want to war" perspective, it's turning this arc into another "Lets get Terra!" ending, and pretty much ensuring the next arc is the same thing.

Like I don't hate all the Clans as narrative entities. Ghost Bear, Snow Raven, Diamond Shark/Sea Fox, a bunch of them are doing interesting things beyond "Lets war up and smash things, I don't know, I'm sure it'll work for us better than it has for everyone else in this shithole of a galaxy that tried it". The thing is it *is* a war game, everyone is going to war up. That's a given, and doesn't make you interesting. Having an identity beyond that can be helpful, especially if you actually win. The population of Terra is practically already genetically engineered super people by the yardstick of the vast majority of the Inner Sphere, and they tend to pick up a great deal of knowledge in their very...very long lives. What the rear end would something like the Jade Falcons even do with that? I mean it's kind of funny to imagine come to think of it. "We grow babies in vats and our old leaders are like 50, also we didn't really make a plan for what to do after winning." meets "We tend not to have children until middle age. You know, a hundred. Also my waiter knows more than your Clan techs, and is only doing this job to fill time in his day.". That type of wacky odd couple hi-jinks *could* be amusing to see.

Then we should wipe out all the Clans that are still acting like roving bands of war obsessed assholes.

e: And I don't know, a Great House. Mix it up!

Mulva fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 22, 2016

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Man I would not want to be someone working on ilClan, that seems like a book that has a million ways to fail and maybe one way to succeed on average.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Cascade Jones posted:

This all makes the Jags sound much more interesting than they are in canon. Clan Kawaii Jaguar Elementals would not be beaten in hand to hand combat by VSD.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but Victor *is* senpai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Hey it's only like 11,000 dollars for am 86 inch touch screen, that's practically a steal!

• Locked thread