Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Yes. They're called Flamberge 2s now. And they hurt. A LOT.

e: Both 2 AND 3.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Defiance Industries posted:

The fixed wing mechs are a much better use of the idea, I think. The whole "mech turns into an airplane" thing is a poor fit for the aesthetic of the universe in general. WoB and the Society were clearly allowed to do a bunch of poo poo that they weren't going to continue with going forward, which is the only reason we saw them again I think.

I was originally so convinced that a lot of the older players treated anything with more than five Un-Improved Jump Jets like some kind of anime anathema, that it drew a lot of vitriol out of me.

Didn't the Blakists bring out Superheavy 'Mechs for one book? I mean, it was great that there were even a whole new set of rules written for them, but I didn't like how the Omega was a flaming turd and how most questions to Catalyst staff about details in the 'Mech type's rules application have gone unanswered, as if the whole concept was only supported by one guy and he dropped the whole idea like a rock or something.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I can see where you're coming from with Final Reckoning and the Era Reports. They do seem to contain designs that are mostly to help set up games for the time period, considering most of them are terrible. Except for things like the Woodsman, which always seems to make a few Clan fans cry because they wish it was a front-liner or something for the Classic eras.

While I hope I'll enjoy reading ER:3145, I'm really holding out hope for whatever the gently caress all-encompassing super TRO Catalyst is doing for this era for designs to play with. Ever since TRO3075 I've been really impressed with some of the design ideas these newer writers have been trying, playing around with the construction rules and such.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'm going to guess you're talking about the Barghest? I'm with you on that, then. Workable speed, loadouts for different duties, synergy in making up for a Heavy Gauss Rifle weakness, and an experimental upgrade that was so good it got approved for production, right? All in 30 in-universe years, no less.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Another breakthrough that many people don't mention about the Barghest is that it represents the Lyran breakthrough in making quads look cool.

The TRO art gave me a little vertigo what with its DRAMATIC FORESHORTENING perspective giving its limbs and guns kind weird proportions, but after playing with the miniature itself, I can say that its shapes are much more robust and suitable for a giant robot than most.

Axe-man posted:

Yeah, I really found myself disliking those books when I was reading them. Min-maxed mechs really get boring as all gently caress.

I really wish they would focus on making more faction differentiation, but that is just one of my quips. They are doing that a bit, but in my opinion, a lot of them are saddled with some new tech and given a new paint job in my opinion.

Occasionally I get the feeling that when a certain design idea ends up being really spread out in faction availability, it's to fill in a hole in that faction's abilities. I found it kind of ironic that the Capellans had a dual Snub-Nose PPC 'Mech configuration since Record Sheets 3060u and and the Draconis Combine didn't have one. Then Record Sheets 3067u came out and that was solved, but it was cheapened again when in the same record sheet pack, the Capellans got yet another dual Snub-Nose PPC variant, this time with Stealth Armor.

Sometimes I react in the opposite way from that kind of stuff, though. I look at the Hellstar and I just want to punch whoever designed it in the face for being utterly boring. Or laugh at him for being mad that the Masakari went out of production.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Weissritter posted:

Man, that is why I like the Diamond Sharks. But I know them even less than most of the other (invading) Clans.

One of the fun schemes they have is offering export models of 'Mechs to Inner Sphere forces who don't know any better and then keep the variants that are actually good for themselves. Reference the Ha Otoko and the most recent upgrades of the Mad Cat Mk. II compared with the old.

For general purposes, they are a very good adventure hook that can justify how in the flying fart someone managed to get his Spheroid hands on Clan tech.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

kingcom posted:

Are they any good or?

The Strategic Ops rules are easy enough to understand. Grade A field refits are the easiest, Grade F factory overhauls are the hardest. There's a time multiplier that applies to each bash job and a +1-4 penalty for the roll depending on how hard it is.

See page 188-190.

E: Failure reduces a Quality Rating of sorts that is really up the GM for how much it affects you; the rules also mention that Quality Ratings can eventually decrease due to wear and tear anyways.

E2: The above can be battled with refurbishments that count as Grade E.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 4, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
If you wanted to know, flyingdebris has done art for both BattleTech and ALL of MechWarrior Online's 'Mechs, but according to him they're separate jobs for him with no real directive to make them similar to each other or anything.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

I figured that out when they decided forced migrations were a good idea, I think.

Meanwhile, at that point everyone was too shell-shocked and tucking their faces in between their legs with thumbs in their mouths that they didn't care.

Except the Capellans, that stuff made the Capellans feel insecure enough to riot.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I believe there was something said a couple years back before or during the Jihad writing, by a Davion fan no less, that the whining they were doing was only making the developers want to kill them more, so the rest of his faction's fans needed to shut the hell up for good reason.

Generally it seems like the remaining fans on the official forum are very interested now, and the ones who hosed off were probably too childish to ever accept what they didn't want to believe anyways. I wonder which of those groups will make Catalyst Game Labs more money in this day and age?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Images from the next installment of TRO 3145 were posted on Facebook.

E: couple more

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 27, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Weissritter posted:

Well, part of the fun for me is to look at what mechs they have easier access to fluff wise, then try to get a force out of that.

So if going with the exiled Wolves, they have:

Timber Wolf
Hellstar
Arctic Fox
Arctic Wolf
Pack Hunter
Verfolger

Not sure about Linebacker and Phantom - I think they were produced pre-split, so not sure if they actually can produce them anymore. I suppose other than that, they have access to 'general' clan mechs via trading (with the Diamond Sharks) and Trials?

I know I have asked something similar to this before, though this time more curious about their production lines.

You can go ahead and add the Arctic Wolf II, Pack Hunter II, Ursus II, Icestorm, Mangonel, and upgrades of the Wolfhound to that list. I might be missing a few still. Not that you can't just go off the Inner Sphere General list, anyways.

The most rational way to build a faction force with flavor is to think of a strategy you'd like to try and then pick what fits it.

E: Also the Cygnus, but it's a poor excuse for just yet another Hellstar.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 21, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Arquinsiel posted:

You all saw this right?

Ooh, plastic BattleMaster. I could go for one of those.

Weissritter posted:

How would you rate those mechs? At least in their official configurations?

I know Hellstar is considered cheese, and the Timber Wolf still appear to be rather good.

The thing is that there's more than one official configuration for all of those robots they make. I can only really say that in general:

Arctic Wolfs are nasty short-range gankers,
Pack Hunters are trollish head-shotting skirmishers that usually jump every turn and are hard to bring down without either Pulse Lasers (have to get pretty close) or low Gunnery skills (2 or lower),
Icestorms zip around and TAG things for Arrow IV missile-carrying backup vehicles,
Verfolgers are usually vanilla trooper-types,
Mangonels snipe,
the Ursus II jumps around slower than a Pack Hunter but fits the trooper role a bit better in crap terrain,
and Wolfhounds are flankers that go okay with Arctic Wolfs, they can take at least a couple more hits and don't get ammo explosions.

But really, there's no need to go straight factory-production for those guys. Part of the whole flavor of the faction is a taste of all kinds of styles, from Lyran Gauss-walls to Clan white-elephant blasters to Mercenary, uh...efficiency?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
^^There does seem to be a disconnect to which 'Mech Catalyst wants to pimp out. Atlas for the history, Timber Wolf for the Clan/video game connection, or BattleMaster for the whole Reseen agenda?

Captain Foo posted:

Verfolgers are excellent mechs. 5/8, ERPPC, LBX10, 3xML. 65t.

Serviceable, but quite outclassed by Falconers. The only downside to swapping one for the other is increased BV cost (if you play that way) and a tiny amount less crit-seeking. In exchange, you get increased range, head-capping, more armor, and Jump Jets.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

BattleMaster posted:

There's a good reason for them to pick those three.

I meant to speculate about why just one single 'Mech hasn't been picked and stuck with. Most people are better at letting one iconic image drive their enthusiasm rather than several, all with different artists with different aesthetics.

Regarding the LB-10-X: :shrug: I might have a skewed preference. I'm sure MegaMek rolls its dice more properly/fairly/predictably than I can on a table top, since I haven't done much of anything effective enough with Cluster rounds to make myself prefer them. I find the psychological effect of shearing off fifteen or twenty or twenty-five points of armor with a single die roll to be more effective, if even just for how it affects opponents' decision-making rather than dealing any sort of consistent damage.

And yes, that was me taking a smug and disdainful tone to BV. Real players have full knowledge of faction flavor and take imaginative and varied approaches to force composition so that each lance resembles its own special flower oh and they also make gentleman's agreements to do so :colbert:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

BattleMaster posted:

Then I think that's the BattleMaster since it's heavily used in all the new branding.

There jsut aren't any new games pushing the Timber Wolf, and the Atlas is only on the cover of the new box because it's one of the included units.

I really wish the writers would make the BattleMaster a lot more powerful if that was the case. Most of its variants even as early as going into the Clan Invasion are just dumpy tanks that try to crawl to where the action is supposed to be only to maybe do a little damage at close range and then subsequently get ignored thanks to not being worth the stupidly large effort to mission-kill them.

Fraction Jackson posted:

Of course, both mechs are still a tier below the truly absurd cavalry heavies like the RFL-6X, the EXC-CS, the OTL-6D/8M, and so on...

I also like Arguses. Arguses are amazing. All of their variants.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Fraction Jackson posted:

You can do that within the BV system too! I try to. Or at least I did after I grew out of my "why yes I see nothing wrong with putting eight Stealths in a force" phase, anyway.

That's arguably the best compromise, though I will say that there are things that BV can't account for, like combined heat load on a platform (i.e. works for Stealth Armored Pillagers, does NOT work for Stealth Armored Marauders).

Kommando posted:

:frogout:

Will you also play a Clan Wolf invasion force with 4 Man O' Wars and one Firemoth? Because thats what 60% of the TOE was.

Real players my rear end. Beardy grognards more like it, I bet you balance by tonnage too.
Thats a No True Scotsman fallacy https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/no-true-scotsman

Kinda had the overbearing tone on my "explanation" of my parentheses for a reason, guy.

But wait, what? Where are you getting the Man O' War 60% number? Because if you're getting that off of a Random Assignment Table you're thinking grogs take those waaaaaaaay too seriously.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Ah yes, the phonebooks that FASA did. Yeah, I get the feeling Catalyst wishes they could hold a worldwide book-burning of those, with their attitude.

But yeah, I recall reading about those kinds of people before who took those as holy scripture. And still want to impose it on all the rest of the factions in the universe. Oh god.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'm not very enamored with the Reseen Beemer variants, either. Finally getting both a Gauss Rifle and two head-stripping backup weapons on the K4 comes close to utility with its IJJs, but for the most part if a 'Mech's base speed is going to be that slow, it might as well make attempts at controlling the areas that it can actually reach with its weapons.

And by controlling, I really mean being able to tear medium 'Mechs apart in one salvo akin to what the Devastator can do.

Guys, I think I have Clan SitTech weapon-envy. :smith:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Weissritter posted:

Thanks for the responses guys, my current idea for a post-Jihad/3145 star is:

Timber Wolf Prime
Timber Wolf D
Verfolger VR5-R
Mad Dog Prime

Looking for a decently mobile star that is okay at all ranges. Not sure what mech to round off the star, or if the Mad Dog fits in there.

The Mad Dog is fine. You could either add another Verfolger (VR6-C with the missiles) or Arctic Wolf, those could back up the T-Wolf D, or you could add a Pack Hunter to take advantage of back-shots.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Adam Kensai posted:

What's good amongst the new Catalyst Technical Readouts? My FASA 3058 is worn down from use,

None of the new 'Mechs look like eggs anymore. It's very sad. :smith:

quote:

I like the mix of units and also like the succession wars -> clan invasion periods. The Catalyst website is a bit confusing since it marks, for example, the 3067 and 3085 TRs as succession wars-applicable. I guess because there are older designs outlined within?

TRO 3067 I know has the very special exception of the Cronus with regards to low tech levels. TRO 3085 is this giant multiple-project TRO with sections on a bunch of things ranging from Land-Air 'Mechs to refits of the old Macross standbys like the Warhammer to tiny DropShips that can bring down those stupidly large WarShips that used to be around.

quote:

I grabbed the new Total Warfare and TechManual, and I'm digging them. So far the only thing that seems wonky is conventional infantry construction, which if I'm reading it right is a system that really needs you to stick to lore friendly options rather than powergame your squad sizes / support weapons / etc.

Even if you do powergame your conventionals, it's making a marginal difference in your force composition if we're talking about 'Mech-scale combat. Also, it barely makes a scratch in The Holey & Undefatigable Order of Cannonn. If you're into faction-flavored standard infantry kits, I recall the Tactical Operations book has specific ratings of them for each faction, with regards to armor especially (in addition to Field Guns/Artillery, also really cool). Also, for a very large number of new options and tons of additional faction flavor, check TRO 3085's section dedicated to specialized ops conventional infantry.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Tactical. Tactical Operations has the fancy toys. Strategic Operations is for running multi-session campaigns.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I liked the Hobgoblin, the Boggart and the Sprite. They were ProtoMechs, but didn't look like animal suits.

Too bad none of the factions will ever be able to use them again.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Adam Kensai posted:

Edit to The Gate below: There are things about them that I like, but I feel like we have a running treadmill of "introduce unique Clan thing, give thing to the IS, need to make something new."

Let me introduce you to the (formerly Capellan) Plasma Rifle....

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Very curious now. I'd certainly like to see if it was easy to introduce to people without them falling asleep before a turn ends.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Good stuff, was waiting on getting two of the 3145 TROs and now's the chance.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
It's also literally good, and I'd like to see more.

It reminds me of the Wraith, except with limbs that don't suck.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I don't really get into the TROs, so I guess I missed those.

I'd really recommend reading the TROs starting from 3075 onwards if you haven't already. Quite a few of the entries have actually decent write-ups if you're a fan of the novels, as opposed to "nerd lists off things on the record sheet". Many of them are for Dark Age minis game units. Also the artists are Awesome and worth supporting, as they are fans too AND THEY WALK AMONG US

Okay I am done being a shill, carry on.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Does anyone remember those blueprints and cross-sections of the Timber Wolf among other things? That was some serious make-believe technical drawing right there.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
The Shadow Hawk reminds me of a Leo from Gundam Wing. Such a beautiful machine wasted as target practice for angsty assassins.

From what I understand, IntOps is in content-bloat hell. There are so many inane ideas apparently going into it that it's in a bad way, considering how rigidly Catalyst tries to keep pumping out new products every year.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 27, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

If they're militia, and you're coming to rescue them, you probably don't want them to be too particularly competent, just well dug-in.

Speaking of digging in, there are rules in TacOps for sandbagging a platoon up so they don't all get immediately mowed down by a single machine gun if they have to set up in the open and take the double-damage penalty. That and things like higher-quality armor.

Refresh my memory, could conventionals take fire-resistant armor or was that BA only?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
That would work.

Yeah, most players don't have much business taking AI weapons to begin with, so be prepared for a long game.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Also there's a DI Schmidt with a Masakari kill, which is pretty noteworthy because I think there were only like twelve of them left in the Inner Sphere after the Jihad.

Between this and the anti-Hellstar Quasimodo I'm glad the most efficient SitTech cERPPC turrets get poo poo on in fluff in proportion to how well they tend to do in games.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Weissritter posted:

Are there any Wolf-in-Exile units in the TRO? Wondering if they are continuing the trend from the era report of them being folded together with the LC, or they will have them in the clans TRO (if the WiE even get any new toys to play with).

WiE doesn't exist anymore at the time of these TROs. They're rolled in together with everything else Wolf, with some, uh, very map-changing consequences for the Inner Sphere. Era Report: 3145 is a highly-recommended read, by the way.

vvv Welp, that's what I get for not having read the PDF yet. oh, and the still-being-in-exile part. Cripes, I'm so out of touch with this game now. :downsgun:

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 31, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Pony BA riding Ponymechs vs. Marauder BAs riding Marauders. Duct-tape them on if you have to.

Plog makes quadvees look good.

Enemy MARAUDER wants to battle!

Enemy MARAUDER sent out MARAUDERARMOR!

PONYMECH sent out PONYTASUIT!

PONYTASUIT used ABSURDITY!

It's super effective!!

okay bad joke, i do believe fast battle armor can eventually replace slow medium 'Mechs if played right however.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 12, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Made a post on another thread and almost spit my water out.

Hello custom av/title. Thank you, mystery benefactor.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Being ilClan is like being First Lord of the Star League. Ask Christian Mansdottir how cool that was. Nobody's technically obligated to obey you anymore, since the invasion that had that particular stipulation was ended by the Great Refusal, so it's a completely hollow title unless you can actually hold Terra and use its manufacturing capability, which Alaric didn't do.

Also, it's not that Clan Wolf. WiE is abjured, Clan Wolf (the one who attacked Terra) is not.

I love a good Pyrrhic victory.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I forsee Randall caulking the wagon and floating it across the river successfully. Not much changes as long as he's still alive, and the few people who would even be considered for the job are pretty much in with him.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Radical Heat Sinks are pretty ridiculous if I'm reading them right. The system's pod-mountable, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Holybat posted:

But see he's a great character because he learns from his mistakes! :downs:

In the Shakespearean tragedic way, so it's artsy too!

• Locked thread