Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

So what, are you quitting to join Homo Explosion?

Oddhair posted:

WHS is one of the best things to come out of Redmond.

True that. It's sad that so many of their slam runs are minority products. SQL Server, Visual Studio, Windows Home Server, Windows Server (I think?) are all home dunks. But then I think of Windows Vista/7, the Zune, and their overall marketing strategy... It's just so sad... I kinda want to invest in them but they're pretty terrible. If I could somehow invest in only the teams that have great products, I would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Replacing drives is physically easy. The only thing you might want to be worried about is doing the math about how redundancy plays out if you remove a drive. You might be setting yourself up for a window of no redundancy.

All you have to do is give the OS a heads up that a drive is decommissioned or no longer for pool use. I'm not sure if the approval process for that is instant or if it will rebalance then tell you it's okay. So you wait, then pop out the drive, and then add the new one into the pool. So easy.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Nope, you would have to reinstall the OS on a new disk using recovery mode or whatever. It would inherit the existing pool (which is duplicated).

You can back up your server settings I think. But not the OS itself.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

That's how it works, for folders you've marked for duplication. You can have it store single copies of files if you want. Also, this approach has certain advantages over RAID. RAID arrays generally can't grow in size and may have strict requirements on what size the participating partitions have to be. WHS can grow however with whatever. Also, RAID needs the RAID controller to stay alive to read the data. WHS drives today can be read by any NTFS reader even if it blows up.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

No, I don't think so.

In the next version of WHS, the innards are a lot more intimate, so maybe. But in today's version, it's a pretty dumb service.

Edit: One of the only smart things it does is if you move a batch of files over to the server (like an album's worth of music) it will try to keep all of those files together. So it assumes they'll be read together later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

I love how Windows Home Server has this weird, super active community backing it. It's so unlike Microsoft. :confused:

• Locked thread