Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

If my OS drive on my home server is about to fail but I can still read the contents, what's the procedure for replacing it? I imagine I have to go through the procedure to remove the disc to get the files off the data part of it, but how do I go about getting the OS on another disc? Am I meant to take it out and just install afresh on another disc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

BorderPatrol posted:

Assuming you have duplication turned on, you just remove the old drive, insert the new drive and choose "Server Reinstallation". The rest will take care of itself but it may take a long time (a few hours to few days) depending on how much data you have.

I don't have duplication on for everything, but the drive is still functioning and I can get stuff off it. Will using the remove option in the OS then yanking it be the next best thing? And this reinstallation option, will that recreate the structure (shared folders and the like) of the old system?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thanks for the info. Finally, can I do reinstallation BEFORE removing the current OS disc? I've got an OS disc now that claims to be on the brink of failure. I want to have my OS on a new 2TB disc but the way it works out is I have to insert the 2TB disc before removing the 1TB one with the OS on now. Can I insert the 2TB one then do server reinstallation on it before removing the old one?

If I don't do it this way I'll have to stick the OS on an old 500GB one.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

BorderPatrol posted:

Why do you have to insert the 2TB now? Are you out of space? Are you going to leave the 1TB in during reinstall on the 2TB?

You MAY be able to do a reinstall on the 2TB with the 1TB still plugged in, but I honestly have no idea how it will react to not only the 2nd WHS install, but the rest of the partition which is supposed to have the current tombstones.

It's a pain in the arse logistical problem.

I've got 4 discs, a 500, a 750 and 2x 1TB for a total of 3.25TB. The 500 and a 1TB (with the OS on it) are showing 'caution' in CrystalDiskInfo and someone in HoTS told me to replace them, so I'm going to replace them with a 2TB. I've pulled the 500GB already and the only spare disc I have is a 500GB which I plan to put in to replace it for now. I am currently using 2.5TB of storage. If I am to go through the removal procedure for the 1TB that has the OS on it then I'll have to delete 250GB more stuff for everything to fit on the remaining discs (500, 750, 1TB), so I can put the 2TB in and install the OS on it.

The alternative is to put the 2TB in instead of the replacement 500GB BUT that means that I'll then have to transfer stuff off the bad 1TB onto the 2TB before I remove it and so I'll have to put the working 500GB in to install the OS onto because the 2TB will have data on it.

I either reinstall the OS onto the 2TB without removing the current OS, or insert the 2TB, get data on it, then pull the 1TB with the old OS on it, put a 500GB in its place and reinstall the OS on that.

Do you see what I mean?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've got a home server and I've just reinstalled the OS. I've managed to get it connected back up to my Macs just fine, yet ironically my Windows 7 PC is proving very difficult to connect.

The username on the 7 PC is Andrew, so I created an account named Andrew. I then try and connect to \\SERVER and it asks me for the username and password - I give it and it tells me it is wrong. I've also tried logging in specifically as that user (log in as another user option) but it has the same result. I've tried changing the username on the PC then creating a new account on the server with that name, but it has the same result. Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Waffle Conspiracy posted:

likely it's because the user on the server is in the domain SERVER, and your laptop's user is it's own domain.

when you specify the user when you try to connect try using the username "server\Andrew"

It thought about it for longer this time, but unfortunately it had the same result. All this time I'm thinking that this is pretty ridiculous, that my Macs got on just by specifying the username I'd created on the server for them, yet with the thing that is made by the same company I get given the runaround.

I've also tried logging in using Administrator.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 19, 2012

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Waffle Conspiracy posted:

have you tried specifying the Andrew account from your mac to verify at least one machine can successfully connect using that account?

Yeah, it works fine :confused:

I've also tried creating a test user (which works fine on my Macs), trying to log in as the administrator, trying to specify a 'SERVER' domain for the user, none of which have worked. Frankly I find this rather ridiculous, that my non-Microsoft machines work perfectly yet this one with the OS from the same company just refuses to.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

fagalicious posted:

I had this same issue before but it went after after rebooting. i can't remember if I had to reboot the whs too though.

Both machines have been rebooted in my case :(

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Now my server is telling me that the system volume is failing (though all works fine). I can't see the option to remove it (and get the data onto the other discs before I reinstall), what is the procedure to replace it? I assume I've got to waste another 48h on it reorganising all my data, but do I just totally remove the system disc, insert a new one, reinstall, then put it in afterwards? If so, will it discover the data on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I should have said, I have the original one and not 2011.

• Locked thread