Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
So is it possible to have user specific shared folders? Like the client runs and logs them into WHS and then the shared network folder they see is just their stuff not anyone elses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

EC posted:

Every user you create via the console will automatically have their own folder in the Users share. Default permissions are setup so that only the admin and that user can access it, I believe, but you can change that if you want.
That's exactly how I want it! Can I also create a folder that everyone has permission to see? So like this structure:

-Root
--User1
---User1Data
--User2
---User2Data
--Public
---PublicData

I want people to be able to back up their computers to the server, but not have everyone see all of the files and give them some private storage room. Then have media files be in the public folder.

Also, how are the MediaSmart servers? Would it be better to roll my own or does it not really matter? Pricewise how close would it be, I'm looking for ~5-6TB of space in the server.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

EC posted:

Yeah, there are default shares created from the get go (Videos, Photos, Software, etc) that you can control access to on a per-user basis. You can also create whatever share you want. Edit: I just checked and there's a Public folder there as well, I've just never noticed or used it. So out of the box it'll do what you want.

My father-in-law has a MediaSmart, and I like it for the most part. Had to almost disassemble it to upgrade the RAM, but I think that's only a problem on the early models. It is quiet compared to my custom built box, and shinier, and probably uses much less power. If I had to do it over again, I might go for a prebuilt box, but I'd want the ability to have more than 4 disks.

Also, the MediaSmart came with a shitload of software I didn't find particularly useful. Antivirus trials, streaming add-ons in the console...I felt like I was buying a computer from Office Depot circa 1999.
Yeah I was thinking of getting a prebuilt just because I assume it will be very quiet and well put together compared to anything that I find the time to throw together these days. With 2TB disks these days the 4 disk limit doesn't bother me too much and I don't anticipate anyone filling it up too quickly. Can you limit the space that a person is allowed to have in a share? I'm assuming you can, but just to be safe I thought I would ask.

I was thinking of getting the EX495 and 2 2TB drives to bring it up to 5.5 TBs of space, how much usable would space would this give me with driver extender? Do I need to set up raid or anything or is it all done for me with WHS?

So many questions, I'll just sum it up!

Basically I just want to be able to set up a share for each person (5 of us) of ~200GB each for misc. files and such, have a backup space for important files (with VSS or w/e) and have a large public share for media stuff. Would WHS be good for this?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

EC posted:

I also dig that it's a Windows box, so I can remote in and run various server related programs like uTorrent, SAB, EyeFi manager, Growl, etc. I hardly ever have to actually do anything on the server, but it's nice that I have the option.
This is perfect because it's basically what I want to do with it besides file backup/storage.

Thanks for answering all of my questions! It would be nice to have built in share quota/limits, but I can do without. Thanks!

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Wiseblood posted:

The WDxxEARS drives are those advanced format drives that will require some effort to get working properly in the current version of WHS (Vail should support them natively). It's probably more trouble than it's worth.
What drives do you recommend?

• Locked thread