Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

BorderPatrol posted:

WHS will, if enabled, duplicate that file on your server onto another harddrive if space is available. This means that there are always 2 copies of the file on 2 physically separate drives. Here's an example of what I mean.

This is an add-in called Duplication Info, and it shows where my files reside over the 8 drives in my server. You can see from the file above that every file is stored on 2 separate drives at all time. The bottom shows the last time my server drives were balanced.

To the OS, this is seamless, and when it copies a file to the OS is copies it to whatever 2 drives have the most free space. The OS will also balance the drives when needed, moving data from drive to drive as not to fill one single drive up first.

One great advantage of this over RAID is that if you were to pull a drive out and hook it up as an external on another machine you can read your data on that drive without rebuilding an array or anything. They're stored normally in a hidden folder on the drive. There a database on the main OS partition that tells OS where exactly the files are. WHS also supports shadow copies, so if you accidently delete a file you can recover it which is something RAID can't do.

If you have a 1tb and a bunch of 120gb drives and want to use duplication just take the total combined space, minus 20gb for the OS partition, and halve the size. So a 1tb and 3 120gb drives would offer a total of 670gb available space.

Maximum PC did a good build guide a few months back

Duplication doesn't need to be an all or nothing thing, does it? I want to have my documents and pictures duplicated, but my 800gb of tv really doesn't need it (at least not until i add a few more Tb- and there will probably be a variety of drive sizes between 1 and 2 tb each).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

qutius posted:

No, you can specific which directories/shares get duplicated and which ones don't.

To see the level of detail in that screenshot, you will need to install the add-on however.

Okay, thought so. Was just making sure as I would have to hold off on buying my parts another week or two to get a few more drives together. The way he described it confused me briefly. And that addon looks very handy, /bookmarked.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Just ordered my parts for a server, will probably picture the build and set up process for the thread. Came to just under $500 after taxes and shipping for a case that will hold 6 drives + another 3 if I mod the two 5.25" bays + Celeron dual core + 2gb ram. Specs come out a bit ahead of the mediasmart tower with more room for expansion and easily upgradable to 64 bit.

How hard is it to replace drives? I have two 1tb drives to start off, probably going to order 1 more once I sell some stuff today or tomorrow. I have two 500gb drives in an external sitting in a closet that i essentially use as loaners to friends. Is it worth the effort to replace them later for having that bit of extra storage now?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

blackswordca posted:

Newegg.ca lists it as $110 canadian

I don't know if this was meant to be sarcastic, but given the context one can assume he meant disk space. It is not very large, probably would be doable with a 16gb stick easily with room to spare.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

blackswordca posted:

I wasn't meaning sarcastic. I thought you meant cost. Im torn between WHS, UNraid and a headless Ubuntu install at the moment... Im just trying to get all the info about WHS before I throw down the cash for it.

What are your needs? I run a server that is just for within the house/access for friends and family to back up their stuff and access my movie and show library. WHS is easy to run and use for my purposes. Now if I wanted to start hosting anything that would get any decent amount of traffic, I'd start running into some trouble.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

What kind of trouble that you wouldn't run in to on WHS alternatives?

Fair point. It is a nonissue for me, but I remember when deciding what to run for a server reading that WHS can get bogged down pretty easily. It very well might be a problem with home servers in general and more to do with bandwith limitations than anything in the hardware or os.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

So I decided to set up my WHS for remote access yesterday. I have my desktop and server away from the router itself set up through powerline networking and an ethernet switch. While trying to configure remote access I played around with the port settings (80 to 8080 and 443 to 4433) to try to get past my ISP, but was unable to. Eventually I was about to get a response at servername.homeserver.com as I had set it up in the domain registry, but upon "add an exception" it just took me to my routers set up page. Gave up and came back a few hours later to find that my server and desktop now cannot see the rest of the network and I get a 400 bad request error whenever i try to access 192.168.1.1 to check the router, and no access otherwise. Took my desktop off the switch and directly into the powerline and it doesn't recognize anything. The desktop that is in the same room as the router is wired in and works fine. Wireless works fine. What did WHS do and how can I fix this?

e: tried system restoring a day back but I'm not sure what is going on. The desktop is now seeing the rest of the computers attached to the network, but is going incredibly slow and is still giving the 400 error. Its like its reading the home server as the router and going through it for everything.

e2: I think I've undone all the settings changes so that whs and my desktop are once again part of the house network, but I still am lacking remote access. Though I'm going to go ahead and assume that having the Router -> Powerline -> Ethernet switch -> WHS is something to do with the problem. Will run a cable straight between the linksys and server and see if that allows remote?

e3: No goddamn clue. Put the WHS box directly into the router and it didn't recognize it was even there. Not sure what the hell happened in this networking clusterfuck.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 11, 2010

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Obviously Erratic posted:

So I want to build a Home Server box, but I'm limited by cash at the moment.
My idea was to build a box with 1 or 2 2TB Green drives to begin with and as more funds become available purchase more, eventually having 4 x 2TB or more.

DriveExpander seems to be able to do this beautifully. But Vail doesn't support it?

I'm comfortable with a Unix server, however are there any competitors to the DriveExpander? My understanding here is that if I build a Unix or even Server2008 box, and wanted to add in more drives later, I'd have to blow away the RAID array and rebuild it?

I love that I can just physically install a new drive, format it and add it to the disk pool with DriveExpander, but are there any alternatives? Free/OSS would be even better!

In WHS you can add or remove drives at will, they will be added or removed from the drive pool and you don't have to jump through any hoops to do it. Plug it in, go into the console, and select "add to drive pool" where it will be formatted and added to the array for files. Easy.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

heeebrew posted:

For my backup solution, power consumption is a concern because I'd like to "set it and forget it" and not worry about noise or it heating up the room. Can I install WHS on a NAS device? How can I get a systemic daily backup + imagining on a NAS device? Should I track down a netbook with a broken screen for cheap and hook it up to some usb drives for WHS? What's the best+lowest cost+lowest power consumption solution for my needs?

I built my own Celeron based WHS box with 5 Tb in storage space for under $500 including drives. Power draw is minimal, the two fans built into the case on their lowest settings are near mute + keep everything cool, and it runs like a dream in a house with 7 regular users. Getting a netbook, even busted, is spending too much in areas you don't need. Look at newegg of Fry's deals on motherboards and see if you can get one that is compatible with a low power draw CPU and it will def come out cheaper than a netbook setup while allowing you to use a proper case instead of whatever abomination you would create of external drives plugged into a broken machine. I keep my WHS box under my desk and use it as a footrest, nothin but cold air comes out of those fans.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

So my WHS box has 4 drives in it. I have duplication set up on almost every folder inside. One drive has died and many folders are now yellow status with Failing (Check Health) notices. Loading folders in many cases leads to empty files/please attach messages. This is the first time I've had a drive fail for this system.

In order to get things back in order should I remove the failed drive from the drive pool, and then go into settings Backup Database Repair? Or am I wrapping this drive up and putting it in the freezer overnight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Coredump posted:

Oh drat. Which program are you using for folder duplication? Stablebit or are you on WHSv1 and you're using the built in folder duplication?

Built in duplication. I have the thing powered down and the failed drive currently removed on my desk.

• Locked thread