Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Hell yeah (although it's apparently not public yet):

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-server-code-name-quotvailquot-public-preview-announced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

manwh0r3 posted:

Seems to be available here, https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer

Looks like that page just got updated, the Vail blurb wasn't there before.

EDIT:

There's a video here that I don't recall seeing before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmnFoI8iqC8

It's worth noting that the beta will wipe whatever you install it on. :)

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 26, 2010

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

It certainly is convenient to be able to recover disks without any other specialized software, but seems like a bit of an over reaction right now to say thing like "no one is going to want this".

If all we're talking about is a driver, I don't see why Microsoft couldn't make that available for recovery purposes.

EDIT:

I would've liked to see some more additional new features, maybe they'll do more "power pack" type stuff down the road.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 27, 2010

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

kri kri posted:

They really dropped the ball I think regarding MCE support. The improvements to the disk extender look good, it isn't really a big deal about recovering as I am sure Microsoft or some developer will come out with a recovery tool.

I'd really love to see more "cloud" integration native, with better online backup, maybe some live mesh integration, etc. but we'll see what happens there.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

modeski posted:

Does anyone know if it would be feasible to install an email server on top of WHS? I'm thinking that since my WHS will be on 24/7 then I may as well use it as an email server as well, since I rather like the idea of not giving my data to third parties. I have to admit zero clue about running a mail server, but I'm game.

Yes it's certainly possible, although it opens up a whole new can of worms in terms of successfully running an email server on what I'm assuming is a residential ISP (although you can certainly setup smart hosts to relay through your ISP, etc)

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 8, 2010

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

jeeves posted:

If someone buys a WHS server without a video card, what exactly do you do if you need to reinstall. Nothing? Or can WHS be installed over a RDP?

I am pretty sure there is not a usb to video or something that would be a crappy work around seeing how something like that would need drivers that a WHS install disc most likely does not have.

HP has restore discs that you fire up in a different PC and then hit a reset button on the home server to wipe it back to factory, not sure exactly what it does.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

qutius posted:

Hmm, sounds interesting but raises a hell of a lot of questions on stability and whatnot...

Some of the new features of Vail would be really nice and if this add-in is rock solid I'd love to upgrade.

It has stable in the name! :downs:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

DarkStryke posted:

A post on another forum got me thinking. Are VM's able to be run on top of WHS2011, or did they gut that functionality out of the Server 2008R2 underpinnings?

I sense another project this weekend...

It can't run the hyper-v role as far as I know, you'd have to use something else.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Tivac posted:

My ex485's OS install crapped out and I got a cheap copy of 2011, so I'm installing that now. Are Drive Bender/DrivePool/MonStor worthwhile replacements for DE yet?

Any other good add-ins I could install?

Did you install 2011 on your EX485? If so, how's that working?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

One Arm Manny posted:

Is anyone doing any offsite backups using Crashplan or a similar service? What are you using, and what do you think of it? Is there one that integrates well with WHS?

I just had a tree fall through the roof of my house and my home server got wet. I think it's going to be OK, but it has me thinking about backing up my important data offsite. Right now I just have my photos and documents on multiple computers and an external drive.

Cloudberry has an add-in for WHS v1 & 2011 that will dump your crap out to S3.

http://cloudberrylab.com/default.aspx?page=backup-whs

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Has anyone upgraded their HP EX485/EX487 to WHS 2011? Just curious to get people's impression of how everything works...

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Nebulis01 posted:

HP seems to have moved out of the home server market and switched to letting their proliant micro server series support WHS. So you'd be forced to buy a server, a copy of WHS2011, a drive and then do the install yourself.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/15351-15351-4237916-4237918-4237917-4248009-5153252-5153253.html

This is good hardware though. Newegg has run bundles on this + WHS 2011 in the past, but WHS 2011 is pretty cheap on OEM form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Well, looks like 2011 is the end of the line for WHS:

http://www.wegotserved.com/2012/07/05/microsoft-draws-windows-home-server-era-close/

quote:

Q: Will there be a next version of Windows Home Server?

A: No. Windows Home Server has seen its greatest success in small office/home office (SOHO) environments and among the technology enthusiast community. For this reason, Microsoft is combining the features that were previously only found in Windows Home Server, such as support for DLNA-compliant devices and media streaming, into Windows Server 2012 Essentials and focusing our efforts into making Windows Server 2012 Essentials the ideal first server operating system for both small business and home use—offering an intuitive administration experience, elastic and resilient storage features with Storage Spaces, and robust data protection for the server and client computers.

Too bad Essentials costs 10 times more.

• Locked thread