Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

BorderPatrol posted:

You have a lovely board because it was made 10 years ago. It doesn't support SATA, it has support for ATA/33. You have a CPU that is 100mhz over the minimum specs. You don't even have enough RAM for minimum specs. Your spare DDR2 stick won't fit. Your USB is 1.1 speeds. You're trying to run a modern server OS on decade old hardware. You're going to have issues, your server will crawl to nothing when it tries to rebalance your data on your drives, and you will never be able to upgrade WHS ever. Please, please don't do this.

Listen to this guy. I bought a neat old Sony Vaio slimine PC a couple years ago(1GHZ PIII/512meg max) for 20$ and figured it would make a neat WHS box because it's small and quiet. So I installed a PCI SATA card and a USB 2.0 card in it's two PCI slots, hooked up some 1 TB drives and a backup ESATA drive and loaded it up.

It works OK, been running it for a couple years, but it does run at like 40% processor load all the time just balancing itself, and it REALLY bogs down when I'm trying to access files remotely through WHS's Web interface. I really wish I'd have started with stronger hardware in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

Would I be able to back up select folders using my eSATA dock? Right now I back up my main PC using Acronis and I know that throwing a bunch of drives in WHS only keeps a given file in at most two places at once.

You can use an external drive(eSATA or USB) as either a pooled drive or a "normal" external drive, used for backups and such. It's generally not wise to use external drives as pooled drives, though, because if one gets unplugged, it throws the whole drive pool into massive chaos, WHS thinks a drive failed. USB is particularly bad for this.

That said, I don't have enough drive bays in my WHS box, so I use external eSATA drives in the pool without any problems in 18 months.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Stutes posted:

All four of the hard drives in my WHS started failing simultaneously. I don't think I've lost any data yet due to folder duplication, but there's no way this is just a coincidence. What could have possibly happened to my WHS?

Sounds like hardware to me - are the drives defintely bad, or is WHS just saying they're failing? You could have a disk controller making GBS threads the bed. Also, a hosed-up power supply can be REALLY hard on disk drives.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Yeesh, that *is* an odd problem, especially with two different controllers.

Personally, I'd probably go out and replace the PS, just for shits and giggles. They're not horribly expensive, even for a good one, and testing them for weird transient voltage issues isn't worth the effort. Also, it might be worth it to run a good UPS, they'll take care of any voltage oddities coming in from the line.

I read an interesting column from the editor of Maximum PC - he said that PC's on one side of their testlab had an amazingly high rate of disk drive failures compared to the other side, but it took a year for someone to notice that the failures were confined to one area. Ended up being a power issue in the building.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

The_Frag_Man posted:

Here is an interesting link about it:
http://www.geoffchappell.com/viewer.htm?doc=notes/windows/license/memory.htm

This idiot is full of :tinfoil:.

MS doesn't give a flying assfuck about how much RAM you're using, and the RAM constraints of a 32-bit OS(all of them, not just Windows) have been well-documented forever. It doesn't even make any sense on any level, 64-bit Windows isn't any more expensive than 32-bit.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Longinus00 posted:

He's talking about PAE and windows. Microsoft does care about how much RAM you're using or else they wouldn't limit how much ram windows could use. Try sticking 16GB into windows 7 home basic and see what happens.

My bad, I forgot about that gimped version, but doesn't Home Basic only come on low-end netbooks and such that don't have the capability of more than 2 or 4 gig anyway? Even the $399 Best Buy cheap boxes have Home Premium. As for PAE, that's a huge can of worms for a home Windows OS in terms of drivers and I don't blame MS at all for avoiding it entirely.

The author of this link is still a goddamn nutjob.

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Nebulis01 posted:

Buy a copy of Windows Server 2012 Standard and enable the Windows Server Essentials Role.

Isn't WS2012S like $500, though?

• Locked thread