Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

One Arm Manny posted:

2011 has software RAID but is lacking the drive pooling feature of V1 without add-ins. WHS V1 doesn't support 3Tb drives so you would pretty much have to use 2011 unless you have some sort of hardware RAID controller and skipped the pooling feature altogether. Even then I'm not sure if V1 could use all that space as a single volume. I could be wrong there.

If you want enough redundancy that you could loose 2 drives I think you are going to need RAID 6. I don't know that 2011 supports that with software, so you will probably need a RAID controller that could do it for you. That will probably be fairly expensive. You might also want to look at one of the drive pooling solutions for 2011 and duplicate all your data with that.

This isn't entirely true, there is a hack to make WHS v1 support 3TB drives. It's a bit of a process, detailed here but once done, you can use 3TB drives with no problems. I just added a pair of 3TB drives to my server to replace 4 aging 500GB drives and the process went very smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

savesthedayrocks posted:

Going to buy a new drive to replace a failing one. Just wanted an opinion from the group. This is on whsv1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136891
129.99 + 7.86 shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136471
139.99 + free shipping

I want to put the old drive in an enclosure to test for failure and hopefully get an RMA replacement, so I figured if I buy the second I get a free enclosure and strip the drive out and throw it in the server to backup all my info on to while I do the process for my old drive.

Thoughts?

Go with the internal drive and buy a cheap enclosure to go with it if you want to test the old one. There's a good chance that enclosure won't work with any other drives, and also a possibility that the drive in the enclosure won't have the proper SATA connections on it. Plus, if you remove the drive from the enclosure you're voiding the warranty, so you'd be out $139 if it craps out right away.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer
If I remember correctly from when I had a failing drive, the .dat files are the backup files from one or several of the computers you have backing up to WHS. If it can't recover them all, you'll have to repair the backup database to get things functioning again. If you have the physical space in your server for another drive, I'd get an advanced RMA from WD so you have another drive to copy your stuff onto.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

modeski posted:

This might not be the right thread, but what's the best way for me to extract as much data as possible from the failing drive? I have it in a spare computer now, running chkdsk /r. Hopefully that'll get it in a state where I can try copying as much data as possible.

WHS v1 uses a standard NTFS format with a hidden folder with all the data. Just mount the drive and go to ?:\DE\Shares and you'll see all the data that was saved on this drive.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

modeski posted:

Question - should I format the drive? I don't want anyone seeing the data that is still on there, but then I want to make sure they can see the drive is faulty.

Absolutely format the drive if you're worried about someone seeing the data on the drive. The hardware error will still be there after the format.

• Locked thread