Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I'm setting up my first (MediaSmart) WHS box now, and I'm just double-checking my thinking.

My backup strategy is Drive A (1.5TB) - the drive that came with the box. Big enough for everything right now, so that's where everything goes. Duplication on Photos and Videos. Add Drive B (not done yet, also 1.5TB); it gets added to the pool, so 3-ishTB of storage, but with two copies of the Photos and Videos folders. Come the end of the month, I take out Drive B, replace it with Drive C (another 1.5TB), and the Duplication happens again, storage goes back to where it was, and a puppy is born.

What happens if I add a drive D? Is there a way to say "Only Duplicate to Drive B, use A and D as 'main drives'?"

DriveExtender is a curious beast. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

BorderPatrol posted:

If you're trying to make backups of what's on the WHS, you can add a drive to your system and tell it NOT to be added to the pool. When you do that, you can then specify certain folders to be backed up to the drive, and remove the drive and store it elsewhere or whatever you want to do.

Ah, that's it - I was under the assumption that everything added to the WHS gets added to the pool, not that it was an option; might've figured it out when I added the second drive. *Maybe*. Sorry for the confusion, chaps!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Just had my WHS burn out on me - flashing blue health light of "holy poo poo nobody knows how to fix this for sure."

Pulled all the drives, running chkdsk /r on the main one; the other two are just a backup and a mirror, so I just need this ONE to run. I tried to do a Server Recovery, and it just crashes out on Step Four (There was an unidentified error. Thanks, Microsoft!).

• Locked thread