Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

zerox147o posted:

Duplication doesn't need to be an all or nothing thing, does it? I want to have my documents and pictures duplicated, but my 800gb of tv really doesn't need it (at least not until i add a few more Tb- and there will probably be a variety of drive sizes between 1 and 2 tb each).

No, you can specific which directories/shares get duplicated and which ones don't.

To see the level of detail in that screenshot, you will need to install the add-on however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

nerox posted:

one of my computers has a folder that I want to stay synced with a folder on my WHS at all times, is there a good add on to let me do this?

I would do it from the client side and schedule either robocopy or SyncToy via the built-in Scheduler on Windows.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

stgdz posted:

Is there anyway to turn off duplication for individual folders? I am starting to rip some blu rays and I really don't want 80gb taken up for space instead of the standard 40gb.

I think only from a share level.

Create a new share via the WHS console and you'll be good to go, duplication IS enabled by default to be sure to uncheck that box.

qutius fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 19, 2010

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

sucko posted:

Any word on Vail performing an upgrade in-place? In the past all upgrades from 32bit to 64 required a total reinstall. I have no where to stage 6TB of data.

It isn't possible to move from 2008 x86 to x64, so I doubt it will be possible with Vail. This is a common issue across every Microsoft OS so it's likely to continue with this one too...

It'll be interesting to see how exactly migrations will be able to take place...with such little official info at the moment, speculation is the best we've got.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

I really like some of the new features on Vail, especially the remote access stuff and improved/re-done UI. Hopefully upgrade path info will be posted soon, I'm sure that will put a lot of questions to bed. The silverlight implementation is great IMO.

WHS is running on a headless Intel NAS, that's going to make upgrading pretty difficult for me...getting WHS installed in the first place took enough research and I'm sure people are starting to crack into it already with the public beta.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

EC posted:

So those fancy new Advanced Format drives are no good for your WHS now.

Source

So, I guess I need to figure out something to replace the WDGreen drive I've got in my server. I've been experiencing some file conflicts and the like lately. What the hell am I going to do with the advanced format drive, I have no idea. I guess stick it into the HTPC, but I'll never need that much space.

Isn't there a jumper on the drive you can set so that it will still work on an older OS? It'll format with a different block size so that the alignment issues don't take place I thought.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

DaiTengu posted:

Welp, I've just about had it with my WHS box. I can no longer play video back on remote machines without it becoming choppy from time to time due to drive slowness.

Originally it wasn't a big deal, it just took forever to transfer my 4TB of media to my WHS box. with 2 2TB SATA drives, 1 1.5TB SATA drive, 2 1TB SATA drives and a 3-disk 73GB 15k U320 SCSI RAID array, I was hoping I could avoid the slowness people were talking about.

It turns out that the 2TB SATA drives are WD Caviar Green drives, and they have ... issues. Now it is my fault for skimping on the drives and trying to save $20 each, I should have gotten the Blue or Black drives. However, the issues are quite pronounced. Unfortunately WHS does not support "Advanced Format" for these drives, and I don't have $300 to replace them.

So, I've got to find a way to back up my 4TB of media, format the server, and switch it to something else. It was a fun project, but I'm sick of dicking around with it.

I'd like to thank everyone in this thread, lurking here has been quite helpful when I started my project in the spring :)

I've been having the same problem, where drive activity will spike and the box sits dead in the water until whatever operation is running completes. This started happening out of the blue, really, so I'm not sure if I can blame my older format WD Green drives or what.

I used perfstat to capture some I/O stats and it seems the migration service seems to either cause the problem, or at least show symptoms of really high I/O reads/writes so its kind of frustrating.

Video playback, for example, will need to buffer or just "crash" back to the directory within XBMC. The disk light on my box will be solid for quite a while, then things will drop back to normal.

Has anyone else run into this? I'd really like to upgrade my CPU and somehow get a video card to upgrade to Vail at some point, both to get rid of this issue and to take advantage of the other new features...plus it'll be nice to get rid of the Windows 2003 base.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Jeratain posted:

Is there a proper source to get an ISO with WHS PP3 integrated into the entire install? MSDN does not seem to have the latest version and Connect keeps linking me to trial demos that do not allow for a user to upgrade to the full version.

I have a valid WHS key but I'm looking for a full integrated PP3 install so I can avoid having to go through multiple software updates once I reformat this machine.

Can you download the ISO from MSDN and slipstream in the updates into a new image? This is a fairly painless process for service packs but I'm not sure if the power packs behave the same way.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Scuttle_SE posted:

Alright, sounds easy enough... After writing that I came up with two more questions...

The first version o WHS used one disk as a "landing zone", meaning you had to periodically wait for the drives to balance themselves. Is that still the case? Or would I be better of using a smaller, faster disk for the system-drive?

I have today a bunch of 2TB-drives connected to a 2008-server. Some of them are WD-drives and I assume they use the new 4k sectors... will I have to reformat these drives if I connect them to WHS, or can I pull the information from them?

I was thinking of connecting maybe one or two empty drives, add those to the pool, connect a few of my full drives. Empty the full drives into the pool, then add those disk to the pool. Repeat until no more disks.

IMO, you don't really need to worry about the system drive speed/size...

You will be able to plug those new WD drives to WDS to pull the data off the drives, but you will need to set the jumpers to format correctly before adding them into the storage pool itself.

The migration plan will work exactly how you described it and will be fairly painless really.

As far as the whole DE fiasco, it really leaves me up in the air too. I plan on adding a video card to my box and adding a new 2 TB drive to the pool soon. At that point, I'll have the option to either continue using WHS v1 or more to a 2008 server build or something. I really like the idea of not having to manage disk space myself and having the flexibility of adding drives and sizes as I need to. Moving off of the Windows 2003 code would be great, tho.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

EC posted:

I've been feeling the upgrade itch, but haven't been able to justify it, especially now that DE looks to be gone in WHSv2. What would be the advantages of moving off of 2003 code, out of curiosity? Right now it does everything I need it to, and fairly silently as well.

Being able to run 64 bit, not having to mess with the new 4K sector drives and just the whole "newer code" thing are the main things in my eyes I guess.

Granted, that either isn't super important or has work a work around, but still...

I've been having issues when trying to stream video to my xbmc based front-end which either could be the hard drive or something within WHS. Has anyone else come across issues? It seems to be related to I/O more than anything else.

Either way, having a video card will make things a lot easier as far as re-installing and troubleshooting the performance problem, which will be nice. Finding a cheap x1 video card isn't easy. Having this card, plus an upgraded CPU that will do 64-bit (if the time comes) will be nice upgrades overall.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
It would be REALLY sweet if the xbox and WHS could interact more directly. Something like being able to copy games over to be stored on WHS or being able to download games from their online store directly to WHS via the xbox.

Clearly there are tons of reasons why this would never happen both from a business and technical standpoint, but drat if it wouldn't be awesome as gently caress!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

neolithic posted:

I wish I could schedule demigrator.exe to start at a time that's not loving random and generally during streaming 1080p movies, because it's really starting to piss me off.

I basically have to disable the service sometimes.

You could schedule a script to stop and start the service. Maybe have it running while you're off away from home during the day or whatever, then back off when you're most likely to be using it.

At this point, I need to try messing around with that thing to see if it helps my performance at all. My install is to the point where I can't really stream any video to either my laptop or XBMC.

What kind of drives do you have?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

redeyes posted:

You are blaming WHS when those drat WD drives are to blame. Its not so much that they are 5400RPM... its that they are SLOW AS loving poo poo. I have a Samsung 1.5 5400RPM in my server and no problems. I was having problems like you describe and after getting rid of those green power drives, everything works great.

That's basically what I've been reading too.

I may move to a Samsung drive or two...then retire one or both of these WD green drives to external enclosures and use them for backups.

What a pain in the rear end.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

neolithic posted:

Sigh... Literally 4/5 are WD. It's going to take time to migrate away because I'll be hosed if I'm buying another 4TB of HDDs.

Here's so more info:

http://tinyurl.com/2fvmphr

(from the we got served forum)

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I've rebuilt my WHS install and migrated away from the crappy performing WD green drives to fancy new 2TB Samsung drives. So far so good, but I did have one question that I'm having troubles finding any info on.

When I added my second drive back into the storage pool, it prompted on the option to add a disk as a backup drive. Can someone explain what exactly this backup drive would do, and how it plays into the data contained within the storage pool itself? It would be nice to toss one of the WD drives into an external enclosure and use it as a true backup disk but I don't want that drive's apparent lack of performance to continue to cause any issues on my new install.

I've tried to google this and seem to be failing this morning. The FAQ has an entry on taking a disk offsite and has the following response:

"Yes. In order to remove and store a drive offsite, you will need a second internal drive (or an external drive) that you set up as a backup drive in Windows Home Server. Backup drives are specifically meant for the purpose of backing up the Share Folder contents of Windows Home Server and to allow you to safely remove to be stored offsite."

Does the drive extender service interact with this backup drive or will it leave it alone and not tank overall performance? It would probably be easier just to plug it in via usb or esata and use robocopy to move files over, but I'm curious...

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Cool, thanks guys for clearing that up!

Still not sure how exactly I'll use this drive but setting one as a backup might not be a bad idea.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Jeratain posted:

If I choose to downgrade from Vail to WHS V1 PP3, will the install disc (assuming I configure it to be unattended) automatically partition the hard drive and install similar to how the Vail setup works?

Yes - as long as everything is in place for the unattended install to finish, all of the steps will be automatic and won't require any user intervention.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
WHS has been running smooth as silk after migrating off those WD green 1.5TB drives. All of my playback problems are gone, even during the midnight check disk, 1080p content is streaming without any stuttering (at best) or movies crashing back to the XBMC interface (at worst). Couldn't be happier!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

kri kri posted:

http://www.wegotserved.com/2011/02/...e+Got+Served%29

Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Hmm, sounds interesting but raises a hell of a lot of questions on stability and whatnot...

Some of the new features of Vail would be really nice and if this add-in is rock solid I'd love to upgrade.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
When I moved from 1.5TB to 2TB drives, I did option A. Using robocopy to move data from the individual drives to the new pool, then adding the now empty drives into the pool one by one wasn't so bad and didn't take long at all. Seemed to be the least risky too.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

kri kri posted:

Has anyone used one of the DE replacements yet?

I'd be interested in hearing any reports on this too.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
For those of you using the new version of WHS, what are the main things you like about it?

I just bought my fourth and final 2TB drive (my case can only hold four internal drives) and I need to make up my mind on moving over to 2011 or just sticking with WHS v1. With this new drive, I should be able to swing my data without too much trouble...

I currently don't have any machines backing up to WHS, but probably will again soon. I mostly use it for music/video playback to my HTPC front-end, but wouldn't mind expanding the feature set I use, are there any major features you like that are in one version and no the other?

My current machine will be limited to 2GB of RAM and an Intel E2200 dual core 2.2ghz which should be plenty for Vail - I'm not doing any type of encoding/decoding on this box, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Any thoughts?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I took the plunge into WHS2011 + drive bender over the weekend.

Drive bender certainly isn't perfect, and the read/write performance wasn't great during the data migration, and the setup of the pool isn't the cleanest process...but it does seem to work fairly well.

The virtual disk driver they are developing seems to be present the disk pool as a removable volume, which is a bit odd. I didn't get a chance to check on the duplication process after I kicked it off, but I assume it has completed that task by now.

I really like having Windows 2008 R2 as a base - the new dashboard and the remote access/web interface are pretty slick as well.

I'm hoping that drive bender development continues to go well and that they end up with a solid product...actual integration into WHS will be nice, but its not there yet.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
DriveBender just made another release today, version 1.1.5.0 and calling it Beta 4.

They have a list of changes/updates, bug fixes and known issues still being worked on. The upgrade process was a bit odd, with a couple reboots needed. But my config picked right back up where I left it and things seem to be running OK.

There's now a Drive Bender button/icon running along the top row of the WHS Console and presents a list of tasks. Pool management and folder duplication can be managed via the console as well, which is a big improvement. They have an option called "smooth stream" that basically uses caching to improve performance, from my understanding, that is disabled by default. There are a few other setting options as well, CRC checking disable/enable, file balancing enable/disable, logging levels and overall, just a much more polished/complete product at this point.

I haven't enabled smooth stream yet, but I'm interested to hear how that impacts performance. I'll run a test or two and see it makes much of a difference when writing/reading from the pool. I also haven't been doing any folder duplication yet so can't comment on any changes to that process.

The release indicates that they will be working toward release candidates now and that the beta program will be ending soon - they seem to be making a lot of progress with the last couple of beta releases!

qutius fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 21, 2011

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I am planning to build a WHS in the near future. What type of hard drives should I use? I am planning to transfer two of my WD Black 1TB's, and was also thinking about picking up two WD Green 2TB's. Should I pick up a smaller HD to install the windows on? Or just partition one of the Blacks. (I will have 6 SATA ports).

For what it's worth, I didn't have good luck with WD Green drives in my WHS install. Trying to stream HD content never worked all that well and my problems went away after moving to Samsung F4s.

VerySolidSnake posted:

edit: That was a stupid question.

New question: I'm looking at either using this or FreeNAS. The biggest thing I need is FTP user accounts, which both supports. While the primary purpose of the machine is to backup files, I also want clients to have read access to certain folders. Does WHS handle that pretty well?

Yes, WHS handles that quite well and makes it pretty easy. Will you be using 2011?

qutius fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 6, 2011

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Thom P. Tiers posted:

This is pretty much what I will be doing. Playing back HD content onto my TV. You would recommend the F4's then?

Yeah they're pretty solid drives and I've had good luck with the four I purchased so far.

I can hear the drives which was annoying at first when I had my NAS located in the living room, but it's tucked away in a closet now.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

EvilBert posted:

Any verdict out there yet which way to go: Drive Bender or Drivepool?

The system drive on my WHS 1 Box is starting to act up after 5 years and I want to upgrade but definitely not without drive pooling...

I've been using Drive Bender and haven't had any problems. They just released RC1 and I bought myself a license this morning. I think they've done a great job with development and have been quick to respond to issues. No complaints here.

Haven't heard anything bad about Drivepool either, but haven't used it myself.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

FCKGW posted:

It's only $20 for beta testers

Yup, 20 bucks.

I wonder about the performance difference between the two products, but so far I haven't really had any issues with what I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

MeestarK posted:

Posters above have mentioned they each like their respective DE replacements, but what I'm more curious are what are the cons you've found with Drivepool and Drive Bender? I don't care about spending money on software, I just want ease of use and no issues streaming 1080p content to my HTPCs.

I'm using Drive Bender - the only time I ever have issues with streaming 1080p content is when the system is doing something like moving a completed download into the pool or some other disk intensive background task. It's pretty rare and streaming Just Works otherwise.

Now that DB is this far along in development, ease of use is there too. Drivepool seems the same way, everything is integrated into the WHS Dashboard.

• Locked thread