Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

The_Frag_Man posted:

Does anyone have an antivirus solution for WHS 2011 that they're happy with?

MS security essentials works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

kri kri posted:

How are you installing MSE on WHS 2011?
Remote desktop.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Sorry, looks like I have Windows Defender rather than MSE running on my server. What a strange thing that MSE isn't supported.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Too bad, it's treated me really well so far. I figured something like this was coming when the cost dropped to $50, and you keep seeing fire sales moving it for $30/license.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

I'm happy with my WHS2011/N40L combination for now, but I'm wondering what I'll do next. Ars Technica has an article about how Windows 8 might be a good successor to WHS2011 because of Storage Spaces, which is a smart drive-pooling feature.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/07/windows-home-server-is-dead-but-we-shouldnt-mourn-it/

There are a lot of cool things in WHS that you'd be giving up by moving to a Win8 platform (client backups/restores, notifications for servers and other clients, the remote media access), but I think I could deal with it if I had to.

The only thing I'm concerned with is which version would be necessary to RDP into the server, which version supports all the features I need, how much would it cost, and whether or not you could run the server headless, like WHS.

Anyway, it's not a concern now, but down the road. Too bad they couldn't just build storage spaces into 2011, but drivepool seems to be doing a fine job for me for now.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

modeski posted:

I knew it was too good to be true. The new/old system drive is failing too. I'll just have to go buy a new drive. Thinking about a 60Gb SSD. Will there be any issues going from 250Gb to a smaller drive?

Doesn't WHS have a minimum 160GB requirement for the OS drive?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

I keep seeing it dip down to $30. Even $50 is a good price for a OS license.

Or call it $30 + $20 for a drive extender extension.

Storage spaces is nice, but the full client backup and restore and other client monitoring is a really nice feature.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

EC posted:

Where do you see it for $30?

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...iw=1280&bih=907

Temporary clearance sales. I'm sure it will dip again, and I'll post here when it happens.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

quote:

Newegg has the Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 64-Bit Software (OEM) for a low $34.99 Free Shipping after Coupon Code: "EMCNBNG72" (Exp 8/9). Tax in CA, NJ, TN.

Well, hey. There's something close.

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/309642

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

widds2v posted:

Does anyone know how I could go about getting an HP MediaServer EX475 to work? I have no CDs for it and it has no drives. I have some spares I wouldn't mind throwing in there.

What do you want to do with it? If you order a copy of WHS2011, you can do a USB install (install DVD -> ISO, ISO -> USB via windows USB tool, from a PC with a DVD drive). Stuff it full of drives, and baby, you've got a stew going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

If anyone really wants a WHS2011 license still, I probably still have my disks and everything at home, along with a license to Drivepool. I've been playing with other OS's on my server and probably won't run WHS again.

• Locked thread