Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

Posted this in the NAS thread, but I figured since I am going to be running WHS, thought I would get everyones opinion:

What would people recommend for a basic/decent 4 (maybe 8) port sata II card. I was given a board I like, but it only has 4 sata ports on it, so I need to come up with 4 more ports, and eventually 8. This is the board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16813128424

It has 1 pci-e x16, 1 pci-ex1 and 2 PCI slots.

Looking at newegg there are some good 4 port options, but wondering what peoples preferences are. I dont need raid or anything, just 4 or more ports with the ability to slap another card in down the road if needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

12th post on this very page (and 26th post on the NAS thread page where you asked)

You would think after reading the entire thread I would have caught that, thanks. I guess its somewhat what I am looking for, although a 50/50 rating on newegg is always concerning. I think I am going to not use the above board anyway, after reading some data nightmares about the Nvidia based chipsets, and look for something with 8 sata ports native, and buy an expansion card once I grow out of those. Thanks.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

Obviously Erratic posted:

I'm looking at picking up an Antec Three Hundred case to transplant my WHS box. Possibly with the EarthWatts 750 PSU.
Anyone had any experience with these? I've read a few reviews, but what I'm after is cool and quiet.

I have used a 300 before as a normal case. I bought the illusion model that comes with all the fans and stuff for like $10 more bucks than the bare 300, and it was actually really quiet. I had the fans set to low, and everything inside stayed nice and cool. Cool enough, that I am building my WHS box in the exact same case. And newegg has is right now for $59.99 and $10.00 off with a promo code, ending today.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

zapf posted:

I just bought an Acer easyStore H340. I fully updated everything, so it's on PowerPack 3, but for some reason file transfers are ridiculously slow. They'll go at ~60MB/s for a bit, but most of the time they're at 10MB/s or below. Disabling McAfee doesn't seem to help, and the interface will feel very sluggish over RDP while I'm doing the transfers. CPU usage is almost entirely System, which averages probably around 18%.

I can't imagine this is normal, so any ideas what could be causing it? I only have the system disk in there right now, so maybe it's just extraordinarily slow or doesn't have write caching enabled or something along those lines?

What is your network setup? Router? wiring? etc? I have read a number of articles about older routers that dont have jumbo-frame support and them being slow. There are a number of factors that can cause slowness over a network.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

To be honest, the Samsung drives are my favorite drives at the moment. I've got a bunch of F2's, F3's, and I just added a 2TB F4. They're great drives, and don't seem to have any of the niggling issues that people have with the WD Greens. On top of that the Samsungs aren't any more expensive.

Im in the same boat. I love the samsung drives and even more so the hitachi drives. I run 15 hitachi 2TB drives and 5 2TB samsung drives and havent had a single issue with them for the past year, they just work. Even if they are $10 or so more per drive, the investment spread out over a couple years is very minimal to get good performing 7200rpm drives.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

kri kri posted:

Jesus christ, what case are you using for all this?

I have a new norco to move everything into next break/vacation I get from work. Right now, everything is in two antec 300 cases. One holding all the hardware and 8 drives, the other csae modified to hold 12 drives. (its a mess, and this thing grew much faster than i had planned)

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

Quick partition alignment question: if I hook up advanced format drives to a Windows 7 PC and create verified-aligned partitions, can I install WHS onto those and have it just work?

Dont think so because WHS is just going to reformat whatever you have setup already.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Would this suffice as a motherboard/processor for running WHS?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.564797

Looks pretty good to me. WHS doesnt need much computing power at all. And its nice that board comes with 6 sata ports, so you can get some decent expansion there. Would that cover all your needs for # of drives?

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

kri kri posted:

How much was your norco?

$250, its the RPC-4020 model. It is a best, but it will be nice to have everything in one case. I might wait to swap everything and convert some of the drives to 3TB or 4TB if those are going to come out in the next 8 months.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

kri kri posted:

Nice - can you post the rest of your hardware? Might be nice. Thinking of getting a norco myself :cheers:

Case: Norco 4020
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3 (really anything with onboard video and 2+ pci)
CPU: Intel i3
PSU: 750w Corsair
Sata Controllers: 2x Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8
Ram: 4GB g.skill DDR2

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

EC posted:

Would these Samsung 2tb drives be allright? I'll be using it to replace my WD EARS drive that I'm pretty sure I hear loudly clicking in my server.

Those are nice drives, esp at $99 each.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

jeeves posted:

How hard is setting up a raid5 in WHS? It seems like a better solution than just file duplication which seems like a weird raid1 instead of raid5. Wouldn't file duplication lower your amount of diskspace by half, whereas raid5 is number of discs-1?

Then there really is no point in running WHS if you setup a software/hardware raid. You might as well load a better os (server 2008 r2) and setup a raid on that. Or some ZFS system that can pool similar to WHS. Unlike WHS with duplication, raid5 can result in data lose if more than 1 drive fails from the array.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

Drizzt01 posted:

I really hate when people say this. WHS does more than just drive extender. I have a few computers in my house that I keep backed up, and have restored on more than one occasion. That alone would be worth it, but also the website and free dns that you get for things like sharing pictures (if you have kids) make WHS more than just a drive pool. So yes there is a point in running WHS if you have a raid setup. Honestly WHS works wonderfully on a raid array, you get the n-1 disk space and all the extra features of WHS.

Pretty sure they were just asking about duplication vs Raid5. This is true that WHS has a few nice features outside of duplication.
Backup - If you run windows 7 there is an awesome built in backup utility that can write to a shared drive, lets say a drive on a server 2008 r2 box.
website/hosting/ftp - You can set this up with pretty much any OS. Configure IIS and from there you can cover all these things. I still dont see a feature that WHS has that you cant get with a 2008 r2 machine?

With that being said, I do really like WHS because its plug and play, but then again, I only use it for drive extender and duplication. My server 2008 r2 box handles backups, web hosting among other things.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Whats the price difference between server 2008 (and the CALs) vs. WHS?

No idea, I am a dev so I get them free through MSDN.

Server 2008 obviously offers WAY more features than WHS, and you are going to pay for that. But those features arent really going to draw the typical WHS user in, and justify the price.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

univbee posted:

Trying to put together a colossal server, I'm talking one of those Norco 20-bay cases. I'm mulling over my approach, anyone had any success with 20+ hard drives in WHSv1? What are the biggest hard drives that exist that don't have that 4k issue, 1.5 TB? I'm thinking of either building it that way or doing some sort of ZFS system with a 10-drive array with two redundant drives, keeping the other 10 drives for eventual size upgrading (e.g. start with 10x 2TB drives in bays 1-10, when that's no longer enough get 10x 4TB drives for bays 11-20, transfer data and destroy the 10x 2TB array, replace the initial drives with 8TB drives in a few years, rinse/repeat), I'm just paranoid about data loss; WHSv1 at least lets you recover the data from bare drives without the server if poo poo hits the fan. Anyone with experience in these size ranges?

I have a "colossal server" built with a norco case. I would buy the number of drives you need and not many more until you need the space. I am holding off filling the last 5 spots in my Norco until 3-4tb drives come down in price. Hopefully within a year that will be realistic to buy 5 of them.

WHSv1 works just fine with massive amounts of drives, etc. Myself, and a few friends all have a similar setup without any problems. (30+tb systems)

Just make sure to build it right, and dont cheap out on components, especially if you are looking for good throughput.

Here are my specs (from a few pages back)
Case: Norco 4020
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3 (really anything with onboard video and 2+ pci)
CPU: Intel i3
PSU: 750w Corsair
Sata Controllers: 2x Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8
Ram: 4GB g.skill DDR2
HDDs: 15x 2tb Hitachi 7200rpm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

What do you need 16gb of ram for in a whs box? I run 4gb on a 32tb whs box, use xbmc on it, among other things with no problem.

• Locked thread