Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I just want to check my understanding before I jump in to this. I'm looking to get a pre-built system to backup the 2 laptops I have, and serve as a media host for my media pc's and ps3.

With the pre-built systems that have only one drive, how are they protected from hd failure? Can I select certain things to back up (pictures mostly) if I add a smaller hd?

So if I put all my videos in a folder on the WHS, can I just point xbmc to the folder on the WHS and have it stream it, or do I have to use a proprietary WHS add on to do so? Same with itunes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I bought a pre-built WHS to act as a media server, but I'm having some problems already.

1) When I set up my XBMC, I pointed it to server/videos for all my media. XBMC finds the folders for everything, but does not show any of the video files. Just the .tb file.

2) How do I set up PS3 media server on the WHS? The only ways I have been able to connect to the WHS is through windows explorer and the icon in the tray. Neither of those ways seem to have a way to install programs.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Uziel posted:

Maybe I'm missing it, but how can I monitor my cpu and mobo temperatures in WHS? I built my own so my WHS console doesnt have a hardware tab under Config?

Mine was prebuilt, so it may be different. On the top there should be a >> arrow, click that then system information and it is down on the bottom under health monitor

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Speaking of restoring a computer, my wife's laptop needs to be restored. I inserted the disk, plugged the network cable in to my wireless router, but the pc can't find the server. On my laptop, I can see and log into the server.

After I choose for the recovery disk to find the server automatically, I tried to type it in manually but no luck there either.

Any ideas?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
It never gave me a ip address field to put in.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I'm getting ready to add some storage to my ACER WHS, any suggestions for drives? I remember reading some drives that didn't work in this thread but don't remember which ones they are.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Didn't know whether to post here or the hardware questions. I've had an acer easystore with whs v1 on it for a while now. I threw in 2 more hard drives and they have also been working perfectly. Recently one of the hard drives started making a spinning noise (as loud as an old xbox 360) when it gets accessed. It only makes the sound for about 15 minutes and then goes away.

Is this something I should be worried about? If so, how do I know what drive is making the sound?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Going to buy a new drive to replace a failing one. Just wanted an opinion from the group. This is on whsv1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136891
129.99 + 7.86 shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136471
139.99 + free shipping

I want to put the old drive in an enclosure to test for failure and hopefully get an RMA replacement, so I figured if I buy the second I get a free enclosure and strip the drive out and throw it in the server to backup all my info on to while I do the process for my old drive.

Thoughts?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Didn't think about the warranty, good point. Thanks!

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I'm getting mixed findings from the WD Green advanced format drives. What is needed to make them work in whs v1 (other than setting a jumper on pins 7 and 8)? I see that wd has a format utility, but it doesn't run in whs.

savesthedayrocks fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 15, 2012

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
My system drive is starting to go out on my WHS v1 drive, so this gives me a reason to upgrade. If I plug the current system drive into the new WHS 2011 +DrivePool, will it let me take the data off of it and leave the OS on it?

Basically, I'm asking the easiest way to remove the data leaving only the os on that drive so I don't lose any data. It's a 1tb drive that has the OS and a bunch of other stuff on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
So if I were to add it, and then remove it would it keep a copy of the old os on the new system too?

• Locked thread