Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I hadn't used any really advanced features, but as stated in the OP, WHS is one of the best things to come out of Redmond. In my house, it's just a 3.47TB file server, on a 1500VA UPS, which can run for about an hour without AC service. The backup, however, leaves me feeling all warm and fuzzy. I can flatten and reinstall, with multiple (many and manifold, too!) sets of backup data from which to pull, and play with 100+GB datasets and not worry about running out of space, or worse running out of space on this drive, since it's just one big storage pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Fat Man posted:

So I've done some looking, and I'm getting ready to build my WHS. Already have a decent amount of storage purchased when it was cheap. An old 1TB, 2 2TBs, and a 750GB portable drive that I want to only use for traveling, but I've had to use for storage because I don't have a WHS built yet.

The problem is.... I don't have anything else.

Everyone says that you don't need much power for WHS, but so many of the WHS sites are now talking about Vail/2011, or are completely outdated (The WeGotServed Wiki talks about DDR2).

Basically just looking to use it for the standard stuff. Music/Video Storage/Duplication/Streaming to the HTPC. Torrent Downloading. Document Backup. Haven't looked into it, but preferable to be able to share over internet.

So yeah, how good of a cpu/ram do I need, and are there any good hotswap bays/cases.

I use an Asus board which only supports 2GB of RAM and an E5200 and my server handles torrenting, the typical web sharing built in to WHS and streaming (but no transcoding) with no snags. Vail isn't in my future due to the RAM limitations and loss of DE, but V1 works great and doesn't seem to choke on anything, though I'm not taxing it hard at all.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

The limitation on V1 was 80GB for the system drive.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I already knew that, without Drive Extender, I couldn't upgrade like asked on the previous page, but what about backups? Are they able to be preserved from V1 to 2011? I have reinstalled my main machine twice since the install of my WHS V1 box, so it's got backups going back to before I had Windows 7, when I was on Vista Ultimate. I seriously doubt I'll need anything from them, but if possible I still wouldn't mind holding on to them.

I'm also about to build a new box, so my current one was going to rotate into my WHS, since it adds more SATA ports. I could definitely use 64-bit addressing for more RAM, and my WHS could perform additional functions via hosted VMs (which also currently happens on my main rig) but I don't feel any need to upgrade to WHS 2011, just a vague desire to "update something, dammit!"

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

This probably belongs in HoTS, but I'll ask here before asking there. Recently my power fluctuated and corrupted my main machine's BIOS save and install, so that it would crash to blue screen reliably at the same time on startup, rebooting too quickly to create a dump. I even tried restoring from a WHS backup from hours before the crash, and it would still crash the same.

Now I can restore the backup after reinstalling Windows, but the boot record wasn't on the C drive previously, because I installed with my old HD still in place, so it simply kept the boot record on the old 500GB drive instead of my SSD.

How can I add a boot record to this drive if my WHS restore wipes it?
Will it wipe it?

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

redeyes posted:

Luckly it was cheaper than even Windows 7 for me. Still MS completely destroyed the product.

See, this is why when I finally upgrade my main machine I'll probably stick with WHS V1 when I migrate my old mobo over to be my WHS, since it's got more SATA ports. Being functionally limited to 2TB drives isn't terrible, and the built-in pooling and backup and such are pretty nice. I expect that the new version would suit my needs well, but I've had the old one for 4+ years and it's just chugging along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Couldn't you stagger the drive startups and potentially get a single PSU to provide enough power, or are all those drives in a big volume?

• Locked thread