Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
Whats the proper way to add WD EARS drives to the pool with WHS v1 and PP3? Not using any as a system drive. Just leave the jumper off? Do I need to align them once they are added?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

EC posted:

Set the jumper per the directions to make it a non-advanced-format drive (or whatever they call it), then install as usual and add it to the pool.

These are drives that I have been using for a while now, do I need to delete the partitions first or anything else?

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
Got WHS installed this weekend, Add-ins installed and it's running like a top. Moved over most of my data, then realized I forgot to set the jumpers on my 2 WD Green EARS drives :negative:

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
So I got WHS all set up and went shopping, come home and the motherboard had poo poo itself. Godspeed Asus p4c800-e deluxe, you were a awesome board. Thank goodness newegg had a awesome shellshocker today.

stgdz posted:

I meant to say 5tb and I am recovering my important files now.

Well this isn't fun, WHS just booted up and skipped over the re-install CD. The new motherboard never recognized my old rear end CD drive so it went straight to the regular boot prompt.

Check the BIOS setting for hard drive priority, maybe it's detecting it funny.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
Does anyone have any opinions on defrag programs made for WHS? Good/Bad?

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
So iTunes 10.5 broke DAAP with firefly media. It was fixed in mt-daapd but it seems nobody does a compiled version for windows. Anyone know of a fix or another app that I can run on my WHS box that works with iTunes?

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Suniikaa posted:

So iTunes 10.5 broke DAAP with firefly media. It was fixed in mt-daapd but it seems nobody does a compiled version for windows. Anyone know of a fix or another app that I can run on my WHS box that works with iTunes?

Anyone? Not having a way to stream my tunes is kind of lovely :(

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
I had to do a server reinstall of WHS v1 because of a dying hard drive last week, and now Home server SMART can't see any SMART data from my Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 and just gives the blue circle with the question mark in it. This isn't the first time I've done a reinstall of WHS v1 and I used the same drivers I use every time. Hard Disk Sentinel can see the SMART data just fine though. Why the heck can't home server smart see it?

Edit: Solved this. Found some slightly newer drivers and all is fine.

Suniikaa fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 5, 2012

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Anjow posted:

Now my server is telling me that the system volume is failing (though all works fine). I can't see the option to remove it (and get the data onto the other discs before I reinstall), what is the procedure to replace it? I assume I've got to waste another 48h on it reorganising all my data, but do I just totally remove the system disc, insert a new one, reinstall, then put it in afterwards? If so, will it discover the data on it?

You can give this a shot http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6826

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Esk1 posted:

Still using WHSv1 on a outdated single core celeron. The whole thing is just a data tank and I think I'll have to go this path because I want a drive pool. Having 8 2tb drives is just getting ridiculous. I do not look forward to the upgrade process when I finally bite the bullet.

I just updated from WHSv1 to WHS 2011 + Drive Bender and it was pretty painless. Drive Bender allows importing disks while leaving the existing file structure in place. Worth the 20 dollars in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

EC posted:

I'm reading through the DrivePool quick start guide and it says the following: Adding a hard drive that is already formatted will not alter its existing contents.

Does that mean I can physically remove a drive from my WHSv1 box, install it in the 2011 box, and add it to DrivePool without having to gently caress around with copying all my data over? That would save me an incredible amount of time.

Yes.

• Locked thread