Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

savesthedayrocks posted:

I just want to check my understanding before I jump in to this. I'm looking to get a pre-built system to backup the 2 laptops I have, and serve as a media host for my media pc's and ps3.

With the pre-built systems that have only one drive, how are they protected from hd failure? Can I select certain things to back up (pictures mostly) if I add a smaller hd?

So if I put all my videos in a folder on the WHS, can I just point xbmc to the folder on the WHS and have it stream it, or do I have to use a proprietary WHS add on to do so? Same with itunes?

You aren't protected from failure if you only have 1 drive. If that one drive goes just like your PC there is no backup. So you should get either another internal or external hard drive to be able to have two copies of your important folders.

Duplication is turned a per share basis. So you can turn it on for documents, user folders, and pictures but leave it off for video. If you have home video you want to keep you'd have to create a new share for home videos and turn on duplication.

For XBMC you just tell it to view \\<server name>\videos and XBMC will see the rest. For iTunes I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

EC posted:

I've started having a helluva time trying to rename/move folders on my WHS box. Almost every time I try it says the folder/filename is in use, even though it's not open anywhere. This had to start relatively recently, but I haven't changed anything on my server or workstations for quite some time.

Highly loving irritating.

I've had a ton of problems with my local machine updating thumbs.db for music/picture/movie folders. I usually just move on and come back to those. Very annoying but nothing you can really do about it.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Nanpa posted:

Okay, I've decided to give Windows Home Server a go on an old machine I have lying around. When I tried to install, it said it was going to wipe all connected drives. Can I install to one, and then plug the rest in later (thus keeping the original contents of most of the drives)?

You'll have to plug the drive in but DO NOT add it to the drive pool. Copy everything off the drive to the drive pool and then add the drive to the drive pool. When you add a drive to WHS it formats it and starts fresh.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

BorderPatrol posted:

EDIT: This site says that if you put the jumper on prior to adding the drive to the pool, you should be fine. If you have issues with a 4k drive currently installed, you should be able to remove it from the pool, add the jumper, then re-add it and be OK.

Also you can only use the these drives as a drive pool drive. When you put multiple partitions on it starts messing up the later partitions by having earlier partitions possibly copy over it. So your main OS installation needs to be a normal non 4K drive but the storage pool drives can be the advanced drive as long as you have the jumper set. At least what I have read about it.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

modeski posted:

EDIT: Some people are telling me that I should put the OS on a separate drive. Is that necessary?

I'm pretty sure you can't. WHS will partition the drive to have ~20gbs and the rest goes to the drive pool

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
Why not remove the 4K green drives from your drive pool, jumper them to not be 4K drives, and readd them to your drive pool? The reason you are having so many issues is your using 4K sector drives with an OS that doesn't use them properly. I have an ACER WHS box with 4 green non 4K sector drives and can stream 1080p content over my LAN to an ACER Revo without any problem.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

modeski posted:

You're probably right, it's not worth the risk. I mean, as it is I have all the data on my current computer anyway, so it's not as if I'm losing anything by waiting a while for the retail release.

Setup WHS1 just for the backups but leave all your data on your machine. Unless you are backing up now then yes it doesn't matter too much

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Digital War posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Acer Easystore H340?
I had been looking at the Synology DS410j but the Acer is the same price with two drives included.

I have the complete opposite experience as Jigoku San. I really enjoy my Acer H340. I have 4 WD Green drives (between 3x1tb 1x1.5tb) and the box is pretty quiet ~2 feet from me. I think it does run a bit hot though.

Also, the Atom 230 is a 64 bit processor but that doesn't future proof you for Vail when it comes out. I haven't looked at prebuilt WHS in a while but I would suggest the H340 to someone who wanted a WHSv1.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

EC posted:

I need to copy a helluva lot of data from one WHS box to another, around 4tb worth. What's the fastest/easiest/safest/sanest way to accomplish this? Something like rsync?

Can you add another drive to your WHS box? If so put the drive in but don't add it to the drive pool. You can copy everything over to your drive pool.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Mister Fister posted:

Oh sweet, thanks a lot, i'll check it out.

I think BorderPatrol was asking if you can remote desktop into the box to install Subsonic. I will state yes you can. I just set Subsonic up a week ago and it's pretty simple to do. It will be worth the ~$15 for a Subsonic license so my wife and I can access our music anywhere with our Evos.

EDIT: You Remote desktop to the PC and login as administrator and whatever your console password is. Then just install Subsonic it will set itself up as a service and you are done. Just log into the Subsonic configuration website and pick your settings.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

I use JungleDisk to Amazon S3 right now, but I'm going to be moving to Crashplan's $5/mo plan. Works with v1 and v2.

Any reason why you are moving off S3 and onto Crashplan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
Just to give another opinion I have 4 WD Green drives in my Acer WHS box and never had an issue streaming 1080p content over ethernet.

• Locked thread