Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm about to set up my first server, a N54L with WHS11, and have some quick questions:

- What's the best way to monitor a server? I'd like to be able to check the temperature and ideally have something that shuts the server down before it gets too hot, since I'd like to put it in my closet where there's bad airflow.
- How do I access my server from my desktop? Do I just use the windows remote desktop utility?
- I want to stream video, is the bitrate of a video the same as the network speed I need to have in order to stream it? ie. if a video has a bitrate of 20Mbps, I'd need a steady 20Mbps wireless connection.
- When using Drivepool, can I add drives with data already on them to a pool and have the data on the drives be part of the new pool?
- Is there some way of automatically backing up specific files from my desktop to a storage pool?
- A guide about setting up WHS2011 that I'm using to orient myself says this about how you should set up your system drive:

quote:

Use this guide http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/answer-file-install-2.aspx build an WHS11 auto install answer file. Note using the example it uses only 60GB of the HDD, the remaining will be a D: drive. You want this!

Install any apps you want, but install them to the D: drive. This is why you created the 60GB partition and not used the entire drive. WHS11 will always backup all the data on C:. This isn't good if you have a downloading app, you don't want to backup what is being downloaded, only what HAS been downloaded – which should be to the D: drive.

Is this accurate, should I give the OS it's separate partition from the programs I'll use on the server?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread