Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I know the dude was involved in video production before he started writing books but I want to believe

e: holy poo poo tables

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

What did the tables ever do to you? :(

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Joe posted:

On the subject of change, yes, it was very much a deliberate decision. In fantasy – and maybe fiction in general – we’re used to seeing a lot of smooth, lasting and meaningful transitions: the farm boy who learns to be a great king, the used up man of violence who finds his heart, the young couple destined for perfect romance, and even on the grand scale, great battles that usher in a changed society and a new epoch for the world. In real life we often make big changes in response to some great upheaval, but when we’re back in our familiar lives among familiar people they often don’t stick, and the great wars very rarely fundamentally change the nature of things, or even of the people in power. So I wanted to offer a fantasy that sits on the other side of the scale from those simple changes, in which change seems extremely difficult, maybe even impossible, and at the end, after all the blood shed, the world seems very much the same as it was at the start...
Eh, this worries me.

He's done this in both TFL, the Half A Series and explored the characters further in the stand-alone stuff. I've never been dissatisfied with his work but I'm not sure I could deal with another trilogy that ends "and so you see life is poo poo and will remain poo poo. Bye.". Watch This Space I guess.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Joe has always been a character guy. Even if the world basically stays the same, the characters since the original trilogy change and have arcs.

Also I got to ask my favourite author like three questions. Woo! Yay, internet.

But I never asked why the lights still worked in Strokom...

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
I really loving hope we get some First Law storyline continuation. It really seems like Abercrombie is trying to avoid tackling it by doing the standalones and the young adult series. The Juvens, Kanedias, Bayaz and magi mess was what was really interesting I was kind of expecting a First Law book before 6 unrelated books released.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
He's outlining the whole next trilogy before publishing anything, so it will be awhile.

Long blog post here: http://www.joeabercrombie.com/2013/07/19/half-a-king/

quote:

I hope to have those two books finished not long after the publication of Half a King in July 2014. Then I’ll start work on the adult trilogy in the First Law world. So that’s me kept pretty busy ’til … at least winter 2017, I’d say. Which is both rather nice and rather horrifying.

Also the standalones are great and it's not like they don't involve the plot thread you mention.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 21, 2016

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
They are good, but you just get snippets of plot thread compared to the first three. I'm just hoping he doesn't pull a GRRM somewhere along the line as 3 mostly and 3 entirely unrelated books makes it feel like he is avoiding tackling that plot.

And I feel like the reason this thread has had so little activity is because his last three books especially were a little forgettable compared to his others.

Destro fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 21, 2016

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I dunno, I think a political chess game of wizards is one of the LEAST interesting parts of these character-led stories. Doesn't it work better as an unknowable factor permeating the background?

In other Joey Abs news, Tor posted what is presumably one of the short stories from Sharp Ends and its pretty loving good. Plus, more Whirrun!
http://www.tor.com/2016/01/12/twos-company-joe-abercrombie/

And Jeff Winger from Community randomly endorsed the Shattered Sea trilogy, so that's cool.
https://twitter.com/joelmchale/status/686977683691978753

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Destro posted:

And I feel like the reason this thread has had so little activity is because his last three books especially were a little forgettable compared to his others.

I heavy-heartedly have to agree, the Shattered series didn't quite grab me like the First Law did. Maybe it's because viking stuff doesn't do much for me, maybe it was the YA approach. Looking forward to new First Law stuff, and hoping in vain for some kind of TV or game adaptation of it which will never happen.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"It's nice that you're broadening your perspectives with literature Jeff"
"Dont read too much into it, Annie, this crap will literally take a year off my studies. Figuratively speaking"

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Mr Underhill posted:

I heavy-heartedly have to agree, the Shattered series didn't quite grab me like the First Law did. Maybe it's because viking stuff doesn't do much for me, maybe it was the YA approach. Looking forward to new First Law stuff, and hoping in vain for some kind of TV or game adaptation of it which will never happen.

Eh, I'm working through Half a war now and 13 year old me would have eaten these books up. Much better then the Dragonlance / Forgotten realms garbage I had in the early 90s. I have not really read any other young adult stuff and I'm old now so I don't know how it stacks up to modern YA fantasy but it's readable. Good on Joe for trying to cash in the the Hunger Games trend.

He needed a break and can hopefully come back to the First Law refreshed, makes sense to me. I don't think he is going to pull a GRRM or Patrick Rothagross on us.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

spandexcajun posted:

I have not really read any other young adult stuff and I'm old now so I don't know how it stacks up to modern YA fantasy but it's readable.

Try Frances Hardinge. Fly by Night series (2 books), A Face Like Glass and The Lost Conspiracy. I haven't named her latest 2 books because they didn't really grip me like these 4.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

spandexcajun posted:

Eh, I'm working through Half a war now and 13 year old me would have eaten these books up. Much better then the Dragonlance / Forgotten realms garbage I had in the early 90s. I have not really read any other young adult stuff and I'm old now so I don't know how it stacks up to modern YA fantasy but it's readable. Good on Joe for trying to cash in the the Hunger Games trend.

YA is my guilty pleasure, and there's plenty of good stuff around - especially the Mortal Engines series by Philip Reeve, that's I think the best YA I've ever read. Abercrombie just absolutely shines when he's in full grimdark territory and can explore complex characters like Glokta. The Shattered series books are good, they just don't (understandably) have any character on a deep enough level for more mature audiences to relate to. Still my favorite fantasy writer, by far.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I tried reading Half a a King until it became clear that it was YA fiction.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Ok.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

How did it become clear? I knew what it was going in and still enjoyed the ride, so I'd like to hear why you didn't.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I remember Half A King reading like edgy YA, but then in the second book he kinda gave up and aside from teenage protagonists, it was just as fuckin' bloody and nasty as standard Abercrombie fare.

I assumed the lack of Shattered Sea discussion in here was down to so few people giving the series a chance. Or down to the fact that it so closely resembles his other work. You can see paralells for almost every character.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Grand Prize Winner posted:

How did it become clear? I knew what it was going in and still enjoyed the ride, so I'd like to hear why you didn't.

Instead of Abercrombie's normal pulp stuff, you get a more or less standard adventure wrapped around the tepid story of a young man's development. It didn't have any of the thrills of the First Law stories, or the intelligence and wit of something like Long Ships . It read more like Robin Hobb's lousy Assassin's Apprentice books.

I've never seen the point of the "YA" label anyway. Why do you need step between "children's literature" and "normal literature"?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 26, 2016

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

VagueRant posted:

I remember Half A King reading like edgy YA, but then in the second book he kinda gave up and aside from teenage protagonists, it was just as fuckin' bloody and nasty as standard Abercrombie fare.

I assumed the lack of Shattered Sea discussion in here was down to so few people giving the series a chance. Or down to the fact that it so closely resembles his other work. You can see paralells for almost every character.

Waaay less cussing, though.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

He's outlining the whole next trilogy before publishing anything, so it will be awhile.

Long blog post here: http://www.joeabercrombie.com/2013/07/19/half-a-king/

Also the standalones are great and it's not like they don't involve the plot thread you mention.

I remember a couple of years ago before his YA trilogy was even out, he said that he was thinking of jumping ahead timeline wise in the First Law world and continuing the story through the children of some of the characters from the first trilogy and standalones. He also said a reason he was doing this is he was interested in exploring the industrialization of the world more deeply iirc. Has he said anything about any of this recently?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I don't think he's said much of anything besides "okay uhh, shattered sea is done, time to get going on outlining this here trilogy".

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

VagueRant posted:

Yeah, probably why the second one was my favorite. Very violent. But the sex was marginally less graphic, so...

Seriously though, Thorn fighting all those dudes that are trying to assassinate the princess owns so loving hard. It is one of my favorite scenes Abercrombie has written.

e: also this.

Waaay less cussing, though.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Was it the tight narrative or the well written characters that ruined it for you?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

VagueRant posted:

"Parallels," sure. But different in important ways. The one I thought most obvious is below.

Yarvi gets his teeth kicked in, throughout and at the ending. Bayuz always wins.

Also:

Whoever you call the Logen and Ferro equivalents, the Shattered Sea variants aren't quite as set in their ways and loving their lives over as a result.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Was it the tight narrative or the well written characters that ruined it for you?

"King's Circle" instead of "crown".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

"King's Circle" instead of "crown".

I figured it was like a tiara or something, but it'd be way to embarrassing to call a boy's hat a tiara so they needed a new word

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I figured it was like a tiara or something, but it'd be way to embarrassing to call a boy's hat a tiara so they needed a new word

It's actually described as a diadem.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

It's actually described as a diadem.

Well, there you have it.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

RCarr posted:

The Heroes, Red Country, and the Shattered Sea series would all adapt well to the screen.

Who would play Logan?

A jacked Josh Brolin.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Well, there you have it.

Words for a golden headband worn by a monarch better than "King's Circle":

- diadem
- band of gold
- crown

It's just dumb after Abercrombie has been willing to call a spade a spade for six books. The Contest, the Old Times, the High Places, Open Council, etc.

If I wasn't so kind and forgiving, I would have judged the book only by its Bulwer-Lyttonian opening.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 27, 2016

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I felt like the post apocalypse books using dumb post apocalypse signifiers was okay. It was YA for sure, but they weren't billed as anything else. Kind of annoyed that he had Yarvi kill the witch woman's family to get her back. It makes sense and all, but it was pretty obvious from the moment she said that her family had been killed that Mother Waxwood(?) hadn't had anything to do with it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

spandexcajun posted:

Eh, I'm working through Half a war now and 13 year old me would have eaten these books up. Much better then the Dragonlance / Forgotten realms garbage I had in the early 90s.

Bite your tongue! Dragonlance was the poo poo back in the day. The Dragonlance Chronicles still rank in my top 5 favorite series of all time (could be because I read it in 5th grade).

Like some others here, I could not get into Abercrombie's YA venture. I'm eagerly awaiting his next adult series though.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Shylo Vitari, according to First Law Wiki (by Jay Sylvano)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

Bite your tongue! Dragonlance was the poo poo back in the day. The Dragonlance Chronicles still rank in my top 5 favorite series of all time (could be because I read it in 5th grade).

It's definitely because you read it in 5th grade.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

wait a minute... are these books anime...

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I hate everything about that.

I always pictured the practical masks looking more like scorpion or subzero's masks.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Never look for illustrations of things you like from books. Way better to let the theatre of the mind thing happen than to rely on someone else's imagination.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Peztopiary posted:

Never look for illustrations of things you like from books. Way better to let the theatre of the mind thing happen than to rely on someone else's imagination.

there are exceptions to this, like jaime knocking over the cup is best seen live on youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Now that's loving horrible.