Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

coyo7e posted:

He does come back as a supporting character in a later book (BSC, iirc?), which provides a lot of closure imho.

It's Red Country, and I wouldn't call him a supporting character so much as he's a main character who's not a POV character. His change over the course of the book is one of the major threads of the story, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah, whichever was the Spaghetti Western. :clint:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
He's with us in spirit in BSC through Shiver's attempts at putting all his catchphrases into action.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

savinhill posted:

He's with us in spirit in BSC through Shiver's attempts at putting all his catchphrases into action.

Yeah, that kind of put a sour taste in my both for Shivers. There is only one Bloody Nine. :mad:

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
But Shivers is no ones dog. :black101:

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
I felt so bad for shivers throughout that book. The whole time it was just "Man, you're a badass stop letting things happen to you." I wish he would have just talked things out with people or just left way earlier in the book. The end of red country I thought was perfect for Shivers though. I thought it showed real character growth in a positive direction. Which is lacking at times in Abercrombie books.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

packsmack posted:

I felt so bad for shivers throughout that book. The whole time it was just "Man, you're a badass stop letting things happen to you." I wish he would have just talked things out with people or just left way earlier in the book. The end of red country I thought was perfect for Shivers though. I thought it showed real character growth in a positive direction. Which is lacking at times in Abercrombie books.

Jezal was arguably a better person by the end of the trilogy, it just didn't matter.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
Jezal is definitely changed. I actually think that most of the characters have incremental changes throughout the trilogy. I guess I was kind of unclear. A lot of people have a lot of changes throughout the series but it is not always the easiest to pick up on. So it doesn't always feel real, because they are only small changes. Which is realistic when you factor in that the books only occur over a small time frame when given in reference to a person's life time. The author was, at times, subtle about the development of characters throughout each individual book. Subtle to the point that it was possible to miss it.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

west doesn't really change though, unless you count his rise through the ranks

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

As for West, I completely disagree that he was a bad person. The regicide was more than justified and if not entirely an accident, certainly not premeditated. He punched his sister out once, not regularly. What appeared in the story was the first time, and then he avoided her out of guilt, shame, and fear that he'd do it again until he died. In every other instance, he was fair in all his dealings, thoughtful to people under his command or social status and on multiple occasions stood up for them when he had absolutely nothing to gain from doing so. He was a mostly-selfless and kind person with clinically significant anger issues. I'm not saying that beating his sister is in any way justifiable, but it's literally the only way he wasn't a classic hero in a hosed-up world.

Totally agree about West, he wasnt perfect, but he was easily the most decent person out of the whole male cast. And since when is regicide necessarily a bad thing? Kings suck, deal with it monarchists.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I've started reading The Blade Itself after recommendations from some people in the Rothfuss thread. It's ok so far - I'm just not sure if it's for me, but it could just be that the story hasn't really picked up yet. Crossposting myself:

I posted:

Logen is chilling with Bayaz, the king of the north showed up and threatened them, then Bayaz gave Logen a sword. Fenris the Feared scared a bunch of people at some council meeting, and Glokta is interrogating the guy who's been assassinating mercers.

Glokta is a great character (made better by Steven Pacey's great voice acting) and I like the prose, but it hasn't really gripped me the way something like Prince of Nothing did. Does the plot start going interesting places, or does it stay at sort of this pace for a while? If the latter then I'm not really sure I appreciate it. Though from what I hear it's very character driven and the characters haven't had a great deal of development yet.

Is there a point at which you'd say "If you don't like it yet, it's unlikely you'll start liking it"? Or have I passed it already?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Boing posted:

I've started reading The Blade Itself after recommendations from some people in the Rothfuss thread. It's ok so far - I'm just not sure if it's for me, but it could just be that the story hasn't really picked up yet. Crossposting myself:

Some similar thoughts from page 86:

the JJ posted:

Soooooo... just got done with the first First Law book. I was, how to put it, unimpressed? I mean, it was fine, but it had been talked up a lot. I was expecting something like a new Glen Cook. Instead I got a better than average but generic as poo poo fantasy novel.

Notahippie posted:

You're getting out of it exactly what Abercrombie wants you to, but it's because he wrote the First Law trilogy specifically as a way of criticizing and playing with standard fantasy tropes but did it subtly enough that it takes most of the trilogy before you realize what he's doing. The first book is almost completely standard modern fantasy, but in doing it that way he's leading you down a garden path - he's setting up archetypes that you'll be basing a lot of your interpretations of the characters' behavior on so that when he gives you the series of big reveals, you can go back and see all the clues he built in. Avoid spoilers, keep reading, but expect the payoff to wait until the last book.

John Charity Spring posted:

Personally I think some of the payoff comes in Before They Are Hanged, but aye.

Above Our Own posted:

I think you'd enjoy the trilogy because Abercrombie's entire shtick is subverting just about every trope you mentioned in your last sentence there. He does it well and it makes for an amusing read, but the whole first book of the trilogy is just setting things up so the author can turn the genre conventions on their head over the next two books. It's not a great structure but it does get much better.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Thanks, that sounds good. I'll keep at it and wait until later to be impressed!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Totally correct, the first novel is probably half boring exposition and setting up characters. Once The cocky kid holds the bridge alone though, things start shifting from what you are used to.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Boing posted:

Thanks, that sounds good. I'll keep at it and wait until later to be impressed!

I would avoid this thread at least until you've finished the main trilogy. Its been long enough that the spoilers are coming fast and loose in here.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
I honestly thought the whole trilogy owned bones from the second Glotka fell down the stairs. So, uh, keep reading at your own risk.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Fucken double posting from my phone.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mars4523 posted:

I just finished Red Country. Man, I really liked it, and I'm not even a huge fan of Westerns. I actually was way more interested in the Fellowship and Crease scenes than the climactic parts of the story (although I still had to love a climactic wagon chase). And I loved Shy (and am kind of torn between being glad that she gets to exit the narrative being happy and alive and being sad that we'll likely never see her again). See, it is possible for your dark and edgy "gritty" fantasy to have female characters who play a direct role in the story and do not fall neatly into the category of whores(/sex objects), rape victims(/sex objects), or (emphatically not sex objects, probably villainous).

Not such a happy ending for Lamb/Logan (is that even a spoiler?) though, although it is an appropriate one. And he did settle down and spend 10+ years as father figure to a bunch of kids, though. So there's that.

Monza isn't any of those categories. :colbert: Well, okay, maybe she's a little villainous.

Edit: and to link into an early discussion about sympathies, I relate a deeply worrying amount to Calder and Finree. I love Calder's last scene with his brother in particular. :unsmith:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 11, 2014

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Monza isn't any of those categories. :colbert: Well, okay, maybe she's a little villainous.

Edit: and to link into an early discussion about sympathies, I relate a deeply worrying amount to Calder and Finree. I love Calder's last scene with his brother in particular. :unsmith:

That whole Monza thing is great and I'm going to spoiler it because it's right near the end of the book. She's not really villainous, but her brother is and she loves him so much she's totally blind to it and he is playing her for a fool. Meanwhile everyone else sees it as so loving obvious that they assume she must know what's going on. Hence the stabby stabs.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

My only problem with Calder is that he's jezzail mk2. Also something tells me he's going to come to a poor end.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Rhymenoserous posted:

My only problem with Calder is that he's jezzail mk2.

This is literally the opposite of fact. A fiction, if you will.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Nah Calder is in every way suited to be a ruler while Jezzail isn't. Making deals, betraying allies, playing politics is Calder's meat and bread. He isn't perfect at it or anything, look at him and Dow, but he's actually been brought up in that life. Jezzail just isn't at all equipped to end up where he ended up. What makes you think Calder is going to come to a poor end? Certainly nothing in the books suggests it. He's gotten rid of his major enemies, he's consolidating his power, and he knows exactly how dangerous Bayaz is so he's unlikely to gently caress that situation up.

At what point do we stop using spoiler tags? I'll admit I feel like 80+ pages is enough but I don't want to spoil things for new folks. In the Bad Threads we gave up on them really quickly, but that was because we hated everyone and everything.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Peztopiary posted:

At what point do we stop using spoiler tags? I'll admit I feel like 80+ pages is enough but I don't want to spoil things for new folks. In the Bad Threads we gave up on them really quickly, but that was because we hated everyone and everything.

Forum Rules have it as "4) Spoiler Policy: For most threads, please use spoiler tags for any major plot events no matter how old the book is, unless it's common knowledge (Romeo and Juliet kill themselves?!?) or if you're in a discussion thread for people who have read that specific author or book. If you *are* in a discussion thread for a specific author, book, or series, use spoiler tags for anything that's been out less than about six months to a year."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I think it's more like "the thread participants generally decide how the thread should go". Personally I find them annoying for old stuff but I also don't ever read past the first post until I've read it if it's a book/series that interests me. Definitely anything new should be spoilered but the trilogy is pretty old now. Bayaz crossbows his father Juvens dead on the toilet etc. Honestly if all plot points end up spoilered I'll probably just throw a big old spoiler block around any genuine discussion post, it's pretty onerous to specifically spoiler individual sentences.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

It depends on threads, on some threads people (well not all people but at least those who spend too much time here) assume that people read most of the thread before posting, you get lots of "ohhh but we discussed the relation of autism and magic system back in 2012 already" if you mistakenly try to discuss something old that's new to you (Sanderson thread for example), but then on others it's "keep the newbie questions coming baby" (Malazan or Dresden threads for example). If your own attitude is former then I'd spoiler everything because no one wants to read shitload of spoilers while trying to get caught up on new author. Personally I prefer latter, if I'm new to author I just prefer to post my newbie stuff and only start following discussions for real when I'm caught up.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
Having to spoil stuff is irritating, no question. But when you see totally unrelated threads recommend The First Law series, like the US politics thread was doing a few days ago, you see the importance. Throwing around uncovered spoilers in here and ruining someone's realization of What's Really Going On ought to be a crime. Remember that dawning "Oh poo poo!" feeling you got when everything came together? What kind of monster wants to take that away from people.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Then again, what kind of a dumbass reads a thread about a book before finishing it on Somethingawful.com forums? :shrug:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The OP should definitely be edited with a warning if we allow spoilers - looks like the OP still posts on these forums so that's viable. I think any book is hurt by even spoiler-warninged discussion of it, unless its a book club type deal where everyone reads to a certain point and discusses it.

mallamp posted:

It depends on threads, on some threads people (well not all people but at least those who spend too much time here) assume that people read most of the thread before posting, you get lots of "ohhh but we discussed the relation of autism and magic system back in 2012 already" if you mistakenly try to discuss something old that's new to you

lol

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

Then again, what kind of a dumbass reads a thread about a book before finishing it on Somethingawful.com forums? :shrug:

This works fine for a thread about a specific book, but it's a bit unfair to expect someone to have read every author book before looking at an author thread.

I generally try to just spoil the really big end of book reveals like the fact that bayaz is the evilest guy ever or things from other books like if I mentioned that ned dies in Game of Thrones.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Jeffrey posted:

The OP should definitely be edited with a warning if we allow spoilers - looks like the OP still posts on these forums so that's viable. I think any book is hurt by even spoiler-warninged discussion of it, unless its a book club type deal where everyone reads to a certain point and discusses it.

What sort of thing would you want edited in? Just a warning that most of the books are fair game for spoiler-tag-free discussion in the later pages so get out if you haven't read them and don't want to be spoiled?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nevvy Z posted:

This works fine for a thread about a specific book, but it's a bit unfair to expect someone to have read every author book before looking at an author thread.

Sure...but it's not unreasonable to expect that anything that is, say, more than one year old you have read or don't care about being spoiled....

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

John Charity Spring posted:

What sort of thing would you want edited in? Just a warning that most of the books are fair game for spoiler-tag-free discussion in the later pages so get out if you haven't read them and don't want to be spoiled?

Sure, that would be fine, but I don't mean to make the decision for the thread - that was sort of conditional on consensus being reached.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Yeah just pop something in the op about spoilers maybe not being strictly adhered to in the thread so probably don't read an 88 page conversation about Joe's books until you've actually read all the books just in case.

Still, I think I do prefer spoiler tags personally because I know I hate being spoiled and after reading one book in a series I'll go to a thread and go "hey dudes I just finished this cool book by the author this thread's about! I'd like to talk about it!". But I'm a horrible neeerd.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
If the book is over a year old, don't expect spoilers seems like a pretty good concession.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It seems to me kind of pointless to have an author thread that people new to the author can't read or start a conversation about the book they just finished because someone might have just ruined the ending, more so when a new book in his primary setting hasn't come out in 2 years so all of the people who already read it are pretty much rehashing the same "yeah that guy's a dick but I loved when he..."

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Half the reason I don't post in any TBB thread (other than the fact that most of them are dedicated to trashy genre novels) is because I don't want to end up spoiling something for myself.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Nevvy Z posted:

It seems to me kind of pointless to have an author thread that people new to the author can't read or start a conversation about the book they just finished because someone might have just ruined the ending, more so when a new book in his primary setting hasn't come out in 2 years so all of the people who already read it are pretty much rehashing the same "yeah that guy's a dick but I loved when he..."

It's also kinda dumb to have to spoil entire posts talking about poo poo that's been out for ages.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
The OP has just about all the information someone needs to decide whether to read the books or not. Just add a warning at the end of the OP that there are spoilers in the thread, and that you should not read it until you finish the books if you want to avoid them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

If someone really wanted to help they could demarcate the thread pages where new books came out, but that's hard. I forget what books this thread encompassed but I think it was at least the heroes and red country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I started it before Best Served Cold was out if I remember rightly. Also there's a big troll spoiler on like page 1 and 2 so even those aren't safe, exactly. I should probably just put a warning in the first post and be done with it.