Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I just started reading The Blade Itself, I'm 17% through it according to my Kindle. I'm really liking it so far, never read anything else by Abercrombie before. I picked it up off a goon recommendation. The dark humor really gets me, and I've found myself chuckling quite a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Can any one explain to me the lineage of The Maker and his sons, and Bayaz? Mostly how Bayaz threw The Maker off the tower and then...... I finished The Blade Itself and have moved on to the second book, but I have some lingering questions.

I am enjoying the hell out of these books so far but this one bit of canon.

Thanks duders.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Thanks for filling me in. It's not much of a spoiler, it just seemed like when it's explained in book 1 that he throws a bunch of names at you really quickly.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I've torn through over 60% of Before They Are Hanged in three sittings. The Blade Itself was really good but it seemed like by book two the characters really take hold and allow the reader to really grasp the difference between them. I've found myself fighting off sleep to keep reading it.

Still alive.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Can anyone offer me a physical description of the Gurkish and the Shanka? From what I can piece together the Gurkish are just savage men and the Shanka look like goblins.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I always felt Logen was basically Korgoth of Barbaria

And I imagined the Practicals looked like this:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I also finished Last Argument of Kings yesterday. Going to start Best Served Cold in a few days. I already have The Heroes but I definitely want to read them in order.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I picked up Best Served Cold today, and will probably start it tomorrow (it's my day off.)

I didn't realize that this thing was such a behemoth of a book. I swear to god my Kindle feels heavier after getting it.

More pages just means more bloodshed :black101:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

StabbedUp posted:

I did smile to see him claim in an interview that he's playing Red Dead Redemption as research.

I hope he's been playing the Undead Nightmare expansion. :zombie:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Well, I finished Best Served Cold and I loved it. The whole idea of revenge only brings more revenge really tied into Shivers character (hating Logen) and Monza's idea of payback.

I can't wait to start The Heroes tomorrow. The only downside is this is the last Abercrombie book I'll be able to read for quite some time.

Also sheesh duders I was kidding about the zombies.

Bump: Spent the past two nights reading The Heroes all night. At first I was sure it was pretty much just another Abercrombie book.
Then on day one when the actual battle started I was blown away. I love how he would describe some mundane commander or soldier and have them killed, then switch to the perspective of their killer. The leap-frogging around has me hook, this is his best one yet.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 14, 2011

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I tore threw the last 10 chapters of The Heroes this morning. The ending was a bit more of a let don than the other books. I'm not sure if I feel that way because it seemed uneventful, or if this is the last of this series for some time.

I really did like how he would describe the battle from both sides and flip flop between killers and the killed.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Yeah he knows what he wants but he goes about getting it in such round-about ways and in the end he just screws himself over

Also gently caress Bayaz, in the first book you admire him and then you slowly realize how he is such a cocksucker for no loving reason.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

That's why someone a few years ago made this pilot for [adult swim]. Unfortunately it was too expensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYJ8G_ou6Dc

I mentioned earlier that Logen is basically Korgoth.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Well the ending of Last Argument Of Kings made it seem like he's dead but I wouldn't be surprised if he does make an appearance.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I had not even thought of that .

:golfclap:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

That would be interesting if Ninefingers came back only to get axed almost immediately in The North. Seems like a pretty brutal way to have him go. Arrive gloriously and get taken out only a few pages later.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

It really clicked for me at about the 3/4 mark into the first book, I'd stick with it a bit longer. If Logen isn't growing on you by the end then I'd just finish it up and not bother with the rest though.

Gunslinger is right. For me the first 3/4 of the book was a decent fantasy novel but all of a sudden it just becomes really really engrossing and the rest of the series is completely badass.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I just started rereading the First Law Trilogy. I have all 5 books on my Kindle but snagged the trilogy in analog form and gave them to my brother to read for the summer.

He's hooked, the worst part is he doesn't even know how big of a oval office Bayaz is.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

You know, I read all 5 of these books a year ago and it's only just now on my second read through that I get the thread title.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Quick question, what music do you guys listen to while reading this series? I've been listening to a chick band called Warpaint. They really seem to nail a grim battle environment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssGW6n3YCHQ

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Logen is missing one of his middle fingers because in Before They Are Hanged Logen mentions how handy it is to have one middle finger wink wink nudge nudge.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Is there ever given an explanation as to why the magic is leaking out of the world? Is it just a results of the gates to the other side being closed all those years ago? I know the spirits and Bayaz both say that magic is leaving this world but there never seems to be an explanation.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I totally forgot that Terez of Talins is a lesbian

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I just started BSC again, and man are the first couple of chapters way better than the trilogy. He really hit his stride with this book and it shows.

That said my little brother (also a goon) is about halfway through Last Argument of King. He's been avoiding this thread for fear of spoilers. Its so funny to have him text me "Holy poo poo!" every few hours. He thinks that Sult is the Eater in Adua, not Sulfur.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

It's not an argument of whether The Union deserves him, if only for the fact that he's been at the reigns since day one.

The Union has been his pet project for a long time. Some one else mentioned earlier, and I agree, Bayaz doesn't give a poo poo about The Union. It's just a means to an end to him Destroying Khalul

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I finished round 2 of Best Served Cold tonight. Is there a backstory to Shenkt that I am forgetting? I know how he refuses to kneel to Bayaz and that he must undo all that he has done. But was there ever a reason why he left Bayaz? Is it purposefully vague or am I just being forgetful?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Above Our Own posted:

Gorst may be a natural killer, but Logen is a supernatural killer who shrugs off lethal wounds and blows fire spirits at people and poo poo.

I believe that all the spirits left the world at the end of The Blade Itself.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

The first one that Logen meets mentions that he is one of the last. Then when they reach the edge of the world to find the seed I believe the very last of the spirits hands off "the seed" before mentioning that he is the last of the spirits.

Maybe I am wrong, hell, I hope I am wrong but I just reread the trilogy.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I didn't realize this the first time I read The Heroes, but Craw mentions using an eye glass that he got off a frozen Union officer a couple of years back. That frozen soldier is Ladisla!

Beastie fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 15, 2012

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Your Gay Uncle posted:

....and in Bayaz's speech to Calder at the end of The Heroes it is implied he is eating a human steak. He aslo eats part of Black Dow for dessert, if I remember correctly.

That's not entirely true. At the end of The Heroes Deep and Shallow lead Calder to a meeting with Bayaz and Sulfur near a mass grave that has Dow in it. As they are leaving, Calder tells Sulfur to leave the meat "in case I am hungry later." He then jokingly asks for dessert, to which Sulfur replies as he leaves "Black Dow has it"

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I realized this while reading last night, but after reading this series twice I can almost not expect characters in other books to come out alright or have a happy ending.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I like the American versions of Best Served cold and The Heroes. They're cheesy as hell but totally awesome at the same time. Kind of like how the original covers of old sci-fi novels from the 60's look awful. Or how the Evil Dead films are so loving over the top that they're awesome.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I always pictured Bayaz As Locke from Lost, but with a beard.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I was under the impression that Bayaz was eating meat and had tricked Calder into eating Black Dow, although he doesn't make it clear until Calder mentions dessert. Bayaz then makes some off the cuff remark along the lines of "Black Dow has it."

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Oh man I wasn't going to read that but I lasted about 15 minutes. Cant wait!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I'm torn between the UK cover and the US one for Red Country. My three copies of the original trilogy all have the cover with maps and blood, while my copies of BSC and The Heroes are the hokey ones with the models. I get a huge discount at work so if I hold out and wait for the US version I get 30% off, but I have to wait until Nov. 13th.

First world problems in a First Law Series.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They take place a few years after the trilogy. I would highly recommend reading all three of the new books. Read Best Served Cold, then The Heroes, then Red Country. That's the chronological order.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I went camping this weekend and someone asked if I had a knife on me. I had three, and they asked if that was excessive, to which I replied "You can never have too many knives." :black101:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I got my "no cheating didn't get it off BookBarn early or from the UK Kindle Store" copy of Red Country today. I have a some good beer and some cheap whiskey to drink while Iread it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Papa Ring is totally Don King.