Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'll add my vote and say Abercrombie is my favorite author at the moment. The man is a writing machine and I hope he keeps up the pace and quality. Someone mentioned it earlier but I don't think anyone writes a better fight scene than Abercrombie.

In regards to The Bloody Nine I'm assuming the man is possessed by a spirit when he goes into Berserker mode, right? Or am I the only one thinking that?

Also, when I heard news that they were making a series for GRRM, I started thinking about who they could cast for The First Law trilogy. Who do you think would make a good Ninefingers, Black Dow, Cosca and Bayaz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Ballsworthy posted:

Only one choice for Bayaz

Perfect choice. I was thinking Varro from 'Spartacus' for The Bloody Nine, or maybe just an unknown.

Also, Cosca has to be my favorite character. The man is like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of him.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 26, 2010

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
While Abercrombie is my favorite author at the moment, I still have a gripe or two with BSC. The biggest one is that it appeared he tried to turn Shivers into The Bloody Nine. I don't have the book on me so I can't pull the passages but there were several glaring bits of dialogue and actions that very closely imitated Nine Fingers. There can be only one.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Say one thing for Hughmoris, say he'll be downtrodden if the Logen Ninefingers does not make an appearance in Heroes.

I don't think anyone answered my question earlier in regards to the Bloody Nine. I'm under the opinion that when he turns into a killing machine, he is actually possessed. It seems that the masses think he just goes crazy. Any thoughts?

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 8, 2010

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Ballsworthy posted:

Possession probably wouldn't be the word I would choose, but yeah it seems possible that the transformation into the B9 is tied to his supernatural side. At the same time though he gains no supernatural ability (preternatural, sure, but not super) and spends the whole series lying to himself about what kind of person he is and his own history, even when it seems like he's being brutally honest he's still spinning or obfuscating somewhat based on Bethod's revelation at the end. Logen has a lot of dark work in his past without even adding any battle madness. Given that it also seems possible that the B9 is the real Logen and everything else in the series is him making a conscious effort.

Good point but the thing that sticks out is He never seems to remember the poo poo that he did while he was possessed. For example, when he carved up Crummock's son or when he wrecked the Shanka in the ruins of the old city. One passage describes his eyes as pitch black and fully dialated when he turns.
Then there is this passage, which I love:

quote:

He couldn't lift the old sword any more. There was no strength left. Nothing. The room was growing blurry.

All things come to an end, but some only lie still, forgotten…

There was a cold feeling in Logen's stomach, a feeling he hadn't felt for a long time. 'No,' he whispered. 'I'm free of you.' But it was too late. Too late…

Logen might be a black bastard at best but I don't think anything natural can describe what happens to him when he becomes The Bloody Nine.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

nutnmunch posted:

I think I read the chapter where West did this (or at least the page or so) a couple times over. It honestly just stopped me for a second simply because of how West was portrayed. I mean, you saw it coming in a way -- but to actually see it happen? More points to Abercrombie.

I had to reread the passage several times when Logen stabbed Tel Duru in the loving throat. I could not comprehend what happened. I did not expect a major* character to go out like that.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 10, 2010

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Evfedu posted:

I'd disagree with this, he literally wrestles Fenris to a standstill. A big strong bloke Logen is, no doubt, but Fenris is a magically imbued demi-human who was (at the point of stalemate) being empowered still further by Caurib's song/magic. I mean, by definition, the strength of the bloody nine is supernatural.

I didn't realise Abercrombie had referred to the "cold feeling" as far back as that too, that's incredibly impressive planning/foreshadowing for a first timer. Blimey.

Exactly, and since I love that scene so much, here is another one of my favorite passages to back it up:

*Do not read if you haven't read the trilogy yet.

quote:

*Dogman and crew just killed Caurib...

The Bloody-Nine felt the change. Like the first green shoot of spring. Like the first warmth on the wind as the summer comes. There was a message in the way the Feared held him. His bones were no longer groaning, threatening to burst apart. The giant's strength was less, and his was more.

The Bloody-Nine sucked in the air and his rage burned hot as ever. Slowly, slowly, he dragged his face away from the giant's shoulder, felt the metal slide out from his mouth. He twisted, twisted until his neck was free. Until he was staring into the giant's writhing face. The Bloody-Nine smiled, then he darted forward, fast as a shower of sparks, and sank his teeth deep into that big lower lip.

The giant grunted, shifted his arms, tried to drag the Bloody-Nine's head away, tear the biting teeth out of his mouth. But he could more easily have shaken off the plague. His arms loosened and the Bloody-Nine twisted the hand that held the Maker's sword. He twisted it, as the snake twists in its nest, and slowly he began to work it free.

The giant's blue left arm uncoiled from the Bloody-Nine's body, his blue hand seized hold of the Bloody-Nine's wrist, but there could be no stopping it. When the sapling seed finds a crack in the mountain, over long years its deep roots will burst the very rock apart. So the Bloody-Nine strained with every muscle and let the slow time pass, hissing out his hatred into the Feared's twitching mouth. The blade crept onwards, slowly, slowly, and its very point bit into painted flesh, just below the giant's bottom rib.

The Bloody-Nine felt the hot blood trickling down the grip and over his bunched fist, trickling out of the Feared's mouth and into his, running down his neck, leaking from the wounds across his back, dripping to the ground, just as it should be. Softly, gently, the blade slid into the Feared's tattooed body, sideways, upwards, onwards.

The great hands clawed at the Bloody-Nine's arm, at his back, seeking desperately for some hold that might stop the terrible easing forward of that blade. But with every moment the giant's strength melted away, like ice before a furnace. Easier to stop the Whiteflow than to stop the Bloody-Nine. The movement of his hands was the growing of a mighty tree, one hair's breadth at a time, but no flesh, no stone, no metal could stop it.

The giant's painted side could not be harmed. Great Glustrod had made it so, long years ago, in the Old Time, when the words were written upon the Feared's skin. But Glustrod wrote on one half only. Slowly, now, softly, gently, the point of the Maker's sword crossed the divide and into the unmarked half of him, dug into his innards, spitted him like meat made ready for the fire.

The giant made a great, high shriek, and the last strength melted from his hands. The Bloody-Nine opened his jaws and let him free, one arm holding tight to his back while the other drove the sword on into him. The Bloody-Nine hissed laughter through his clenched teeth, dribbled laughter through the ragged hole in his face. He rammed the blade as far as it would go, and its point slid out between the plates of armour just beneath the giant's armpit and glinted red in the sun.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 10, 2010

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Weaponized Cum posted:

Whoever recommended Night Angel's Trilogy: gently caress you.

I'm not sure if you're joking but I agree. I purchased the book and got about 50 pages into it and gave up. The writing style, plot and characters were terrible to me.

On a brighter note, I'd rather have seen HBO make The First Law trilogy instead of ASoIaF. Or maybe make a movie trilogy. The stories definitely have the characters and plot for it, although I think that poo poo might be a little too dark and depressing for Hollywood.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 7, 2010

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

A Nice Boy posted:

Just wait till you get to Best Served Cold. There's a scene with a main character that will make you squirm.

It should have been you.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bummey posted:

Another book? So soon? Will this mad man never stop?

I pray not. Those fuckers GRRM and Rothfuss should takes notes.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Kneel Before Zog posted:

You'd think 3 guys in an alley wouldn't seem like such a big deal for this Conan-esque barbarian.

If I remember right, he did think about throwing the money at the bum's eyes and stabbing him while he was distracted.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I wish Abercrombie would write a book about the early years of Logen Ninefingers. I was thinking how that would never sell because of how dark and bloody it would be but then I realized, his current books aren't exactly a ray of sunshine.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mr.48 posted:

From Joe's blog:

"Secondly, Calder has a tough, strong, honest, loyal older brother with a pea for a brain before him in line."

I don't know if Honest and Loyal are good words to describe Scale given what we saw in The First Law books.

From Calder's perspective he might be.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mr.48 posted:

Wasn't Badesh killed by Glustrod in the first war?

I could be remembering wrong though.

Nope. The last time the books talk about Bedesh is when he commands the spirits to release the Seed only to one who carries Juvens' staff.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Unkempt posted:

Mmmmm.

I haven't actually read 'Best Served Cold' yet, but I think I'm going to read this first anyway.

Life is not fair! :mad:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Unkempt posted:

His name gets thrown around a lot but no.

Well, that sucks a donkey dick. :mad:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I don't have much knowledge of the literary world but how do you assholes get these advance copies?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Ninth Layer posted:

She's not in the trilogy at all. I think the idea is that she wants to kill everyone either directly or indirectly involved in the death of her brother. Foscar and Mauthis didn't kill him but they didn't do anything to warn her or stop his death.

If I recall, Nicomo does speak about her briefly in the trilogy.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm getting the vibe that he is a fan favorite around here but I'm not a big fan of Shenkt. I haven't read it in a while but he just struck me as a "super powered, totally awesome killer who never fucks up and has no flaws" type of character, which seems to go against every other character that Abercrombie creates.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I loved all of the scenes involving the House of The Maker. I hope we get more future books.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I love that cover.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone else reading through The Heroes right now?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

A Nice Boy posted:

Well? Any non-spoilery things to say about how you're liking it?

I finished the book at about 0230 this morning. I have a habit of powering through my first reading of a good book, then going back and re-reading multiple times to find small details and nuances that were missed. I'm not comfortable enough yet to give a full critique but I'll give you some broad strokes...

This is a great book, well worth the price of admission. You will not find any surprises in Abercrombie's writing style or themes but that is not a bad thing. He is slowly perfecting his craft and I believe it shows with the amount of polish on this book. My main non-spoiler complaint is that I wish it was longer. I think I was spoiled by his First Law trilogy.

I have a few other minor critiques but they are better left for darker discussions with those who have read the book. I will post those thoughts when I have a little time. For those who haven't yet read it and are eager to know any spoilers about characters or plots, I'll be happy to answer.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 30, 2011

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Barbe Rouge posted:

a review from amazon:

That review is almost spot on. While it is a great book and I enjoyed reading it, for me its the least favorite of the 5 he has written so far. In a gist, I really didn't care about what happened to any of the main characters. Maybe it is because they are one-dimensional, or maybe it is because he tried to fit so many into one book. I'm holding my breath for his next trilogy, not so much on the next stand-alone.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Also, for those in the states, go check your local bookstore. I found The Heroes on the shelf today at a Barnes N' Noble in Florida.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Does Ninefingers show up? I don't want any more detail than that, just a 'yes' or 'no,' please.

No. I am still sad about that

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

savinhill posted:

I'm reading Heroes now and Bremer dan Gorst is awesome, he's like a medieval Mike Tyson.

My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bummey posted:

Logen not appearing in Heroes isn't exactly a spoiler. Logen is gone, forever, get over it! His story ended perfectly, exactly as it began.

edit: Gosh. It's not really a big deal.

To be fair, his story last ended on a cliffhanger (heh) so why wouldn't his status in future books be considered a spoiler?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bummey posted:

Not if you're a thinking person with half a brain. As I said, his story ended exactly as it began, with him jumping over the edge of a high cliff and into a river. That's left open ended for a reason: Not so readers can expect to see more of him in the future, but to poetically leave him exactly where he started. He's either going to fall back into his old bloodthirsty ways "Aww gently caress it I'm already fat might as well keep eating", or move on to a new location and attempt to be a better man only to fail yet again. Either way, it doesn't matter. It would just be retreading ground that he already covered over the course of three books.

Logen's story ended perfectly. Just like Costa in the trilogy. It was ultimately harmful bringing him back in Best Served Cold.

Your opinion appears to be speaking for a lot of people. There are those in this thread who actually wonder if Logen will be back, not if you think he should be. The answer is in spoilers for them. As for Cosca, I'm of the mind that his character is what made BSC.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Oh, yes. Goddrat :smith:

I finished The Heroes about a week ago but looking back now, was there ever any mention of Glokta?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Joe (we are on first name basis) has a new post up on his blog, concerning material for his next novel. I cannot wait.

http://www.joeabercrombie.com/news/

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Logen Ninefingers. William Munny. Boom.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

silly posted:

I have thought a lot about fantasy in a gunpowder universe though. I think it would be interesting but it strains a lot of the genre's conventions the further you get away from the more medieval settings.

We are of a singular mind. While gunpowder would be interesting, I hope Abercrombie doesn't introduce it anymore into his stories. In the trilogy, was Logen's age ever mentioned? I always thought of him being in his mid 30's.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I thought the Shenkt plot was probably the best written part of BSC. You spend most of the book reading about how he's out 'for vengeance' and since he's an assassin and a badass you figure he's hunting Monza for some unknown reason. In your head you're thinking the big reveal is going to be him facing Monza down and telling her why he's seeking revenge against her, probably something to do with her being the Butcher of Caprile, which is an incident we don't really get the story on until the last book. Plus he's an Eater so he's got to be a bad guy, right? Then he's randomly Vitari's husband and then there's the big twist, about him being Bayaz's old apprentice. Really well done, I didn't see it coming.

For me, the Shenkt plot was probably what I enjoyed least from the book. Every single one of Abercrombie's characters have weaknesses and flaws, which is probably why I enjoy the books so much. I didn't really see this with Shenkt though. I thought he was too perfect, everything he did was badass and nothing ever got the better of him.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bedesh works with Shenkt, calling it now. Note that I said 'works with' not 'commands.'

He does not kneel.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Megaflare posted:

I just finished TFL. 'No one gets what they deserve' indeed. Sigh. Still, I enjoyed the ride.

Anyway, my favorite exchange in the whole trilogy is probably

'The worst? You sure? What if Bethod does come, and his Carls kick your wall over like a pile o' turds and kill every last on of us?'

'True. That is worse. You got a fast mind, lad.'

That was the end of Laffa!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Gunslinger posted:

I always just assumed that's because of the damage he sustained but fair enough, perhaps I didn't read enough into that encounter.

Yeah, she has changed. I included the telling part below:

quote:

A figure stood in the thick shadows beside the door. A one-armed figure, swathed in rags. The few pieces of armour still strapped to him were scuffed and gouged. His face was a dusty ruin, torn skin hanging in scraps from white bone, but even so, Ferro knew him.
Mamun.
'We meet again, devil-blood.' His dry voice rustled like old paper.
'I am dreaming,' she hissed.
'You will wish that you were.' He was across the room in a breathless instant. His one hand closed round her throat like a lock snapping shut. 'Digging my way out of that ruination one handful of dirt at a time has given me a hunger.' His dry breath tickled at her face. 'I will make myself a new arm from your flesh, and with it I will strike down Bayaz and take vengeance for great Juvens. The Prophet has seen it, and I will turn his vision into truth.' He lifted her, effortlessly, crushed her back against the wall, her heels kicking against the panelling.
The hand squeezed. Her chest heaved, but no air moved inside her neck. She struggled with the fingers, ripped at them with her nails, but they were made of iron, made of stone, tight as a hanged man's collar. She fought and twisted but he did not shift a hair's breadth. She fiddled with Mamun's ruined face, her fingers worked their way into his ripped cheek, tore at the dusty flesh inside but his eyes did not even blink. It had grown cold in the room.
'Say your prayers, child,' he whispered, broken teeth grinding, 'and hope that God is merciful.'
She was growing weaker now. Her lungs were bursting. She tore at him still, but each effort was less. Weaker and weaker. Her arms drooped, her legs dangled, her eyelids were heavy, heavy. All was terrible cold.
'Now,' he whispered, breath smoking. He brought her down, opening his mouth, his torn lips sliding back from his splintered teeth. 'Now.'
Her finger stabbed into his neck. Through his skin and into his dry flesh, up to the knuckle. It drove his head away. Her other hand wormed round his, prised it from her throat, bent his fingers backwards. She felt the bones in them snap, crunch, splinter as she dropped to the floor. White frost crept out across the black window-panes beside her, squeaked under her bare feet as she twisted Mamun round and rammed him against the wall, crushed his body into the splintering panels, the cracking plaster. Dust showered down from the force of it.
She drove her finger further into his throat, upwards, inwards. It was easy to do it. There was no end to her strength. It came from the other side of the divide. The Seed had changed her, as it had changed Tolomei, and there could be no going back.
Ferro smiled...

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

zoux posted:

What's his next project?

A stand-alone western themed one, then a trilogy I believe.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I always got the feeling that The Bloody Nine was in his early-to-mid thirties, in the trilogy. I think Heroes takes place 8 years after that. I said it before when I heard Abercrombie was going with a Western Theme:

Logen Ninefingers. William Munny. Boom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Clinton1011 posted:

Do we know anything about where or what Crummock-il-phial is doing during The Heroes?

He is up in the Hills, speaking to the moon.