Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!

Ornamented Death posted:

A Kindle does not allow me to stand back and bask in the glow of my shelf full of signed and limited edition books :spergin:

A Kindle doesn't mean you can't still buy first editions, and such. But, do you get -every- book you read signed, or buy them as firsts? I totally get the appeal of -books- as physical objects, but unless everything you get is going to be hardcover, paperless is awesome.

And, on actual topic...I was -really- impressed with the way he wrote the battle...not the action scenes, themselves(which were great), but it is rare that I read a novel about a fictional event of this scale, and feel like it could be something written about a well-documented historical battle from the fictionalized narratives of 'real' individuals.(does that make -any- sense?)

Whomever mentioned Killer Angels, had it right...for a novel focused exclusively on a single battle, Abercrombie knocked it out of the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!

IRQ posted:

My take on the geography is that the Union is France and the North is the british isles.

As far as Glokta, Wallace Shawn is too old for it now but would have been great.

I always have taken it...Union is England(more Georgian in style,and after having absorbed a few other nations), Northmen are more of a Scottish with a Norse twist culture, Styria are the warring pre-unification Italian city-states... and then you've got that big old crumbling Byzantium analog. And the Gurkish are terribly obvious. But it less geographic, and just more cultural analogs.

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!

TShields posted:

Yoru Sulfur is Bayaz's assistant. My "First Law" books are on loan to someone, but I was trying to remember if he was a cannibal. Weren't there cannibals? If so, when Bayaz was eating the nameless "meat" in front of Calder at the end.. :gonk:

I hate replying all in spoilers but...

Sulfur is a cannibal, yes. The mages gain their awesome power from eating people. I'd say the nameless meat was leftovers from the battlefield!

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!

John Charity Spring posted:

There was definitely a hint of that in that scene, except that Bayaz does not, I am fairly sure, break the second law. He's happy enough to use servants/minions who do (Yoru Sulfur, Shenkt before he split) but he doesn't do it himself - Bayaz' powers seem to have altogether harder limits in terms of endurance and the physical toll they take than those of any Eater.

Yeah. You're totally correct. I don't know why I was thinking he did...though it was an odd bit of hinting around the nameless meat, wasn't it? It makes me wonder if something has changed, off-screen for Bayaz.

off-topic comment..
We need a Flashman thread. You've got just the name to start one.

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!
I just finished the Black Company series, two days ago...going to go ahead, and join the chorus of folks suggesting it. If you enjoy Abercrombie, you'll likely enjoy Cook's series. I even really enjoyed the weird directions that it went, once I got over missing the narrator of the first three novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!

Karnegal posted:

The way pigeons were used is fairly different than ravens. The ravens in GRRM are wildly more versatile than real world pigeons as they seem to be able to just fly wherever as opposed to one specific place or back and forth from two specific places. I don't know about other historical carrier birds, but Abercrombie's have more in common with GRRM than carrier pigeons.

I feel like such a nerd, but I just re-read Sam's part in the Other attack on the Fist of Men, last night, and he is pretty specific about having separate cages for ravens trained to fly to different Watch castles. So apparently maesters have a fuckton of birds for the major holds around Westeros.