Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.

quote:

West in "Furious mode" (if you can even call it that)
Beat the poo poo out of his defenseless, oval office of a sister (who totally had it coming)
Bit a dude in the face

I think I read the chapter where West did this (or at least the page or so) a couple times over. It honestly just stopped me for a second simply because of how West was portrayed. I mean, you saw it coming in a way -- but to actually see it happen? More points to Abercrombie.

I finished the trilogy quite a bit ago and I'm pretty sure I might pick it up again this summer. It is honestly one of my favorite books/series and I can't stop suggesting it to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.

A Nice Boy posted:

Nah, not that descriptive. Anyway, good worldbuilding isn't about describing every single mundane object in the environment to the point where you want to blow your brains out.

In the second book the locations the characters visit are described in much more detail. Same deal with the third. The focus in these books is without a doubt on the characters more than anything else, though.

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.

sarsbar posted:

There's already a song that pretty much covers him... sort of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MhYBGzcNMQ

Haha, I've listened to that song a ton and I've never thought of Logen before.

Now I always will and it will be better for it.

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.

DangerDummy! posted:

I'm not entirely sure why, but I thought it'd be a good idea to read Best Served Cold first. I'm about 100 pages into The Blade Itself now and a few things make a little bit more sense now.

I used to get annoyed at people who said "Jim Butcher/JK Rowling has flaws as a writer, but...", but now I get to say that about Joe Abercrombie. I love the hell out of what I've read so far, and the guy can weave a drat good tale, but I find the gripes about Butcher repeating phrases and themes and whatnot are applicable to Abercrombie too, only a lot more noticeable.

All that said, I can't wait to get through the First Law trilogy. As a fantasy hater, I can say the man comes proper with his poo poo. Looking forward to bugging my friends into reading his books.

Really, you aren't a fan of the repeating thing? I thought it was pretty cool, especially in the case of Logan.

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.

quote:

Eh, just because she's gay doesn't mean she can't be a complete bitch too...but for the most part, I agree on female characters in the books not really being that greatly written. For being the main character Monza was the lamest part of the fourth book and Finree in some points just felt like a smarter Ardee West.

Really? I agree on everything else, but I liked Monza. I thought she was an interesting character, even if she didn't grow that much chapter to chapter. It's been a bit since I've read it though, so maybe I'm forgetting something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.

quote:

Unlikable characters: 99%

I've heard many complaints about the trilogy, but this is not one of them. I was in love with both Ninefingers and Glokta after the first 50 pages.

As the others did, I'd suggest reading the whole trilogy. The first book is mostly setup, although if you seriously found the characters that boring, maybe not.