Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

So who plays the Dogman in the inevitable HBO miniseries? My money's on Steve Buscemi.

How is he going to play Dogman and Forley at the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

onefish posted:

Perfect Buscemi role. He's kind of funny, kind of a good guy, but everyone shits on him and he can't catch a break.

Actually, I guess that makes Forley the Weakest an even better Buscemi role.

(And yeah, I like Buscemi in most of his roles)

If the Cohen brothers did it, Steve Buscemi would have to play Forley. And it would loving rule. See: No Country for Old Men.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

IRQ posted:

My take on the geography is that the Union is France and the North is the british isles.

As far as Glokta, Wallace Shawn is too old for it now but would have been great.

To satisfy Hollywood tradition when doing film adaptations, for no reason at all a non-black guy will be made black to make up for the important black character that was cut out (also for no reason). Gentlemen, I present Sand dan Glotka:

[center][/center]

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Oh man, I just read the part in LAoK where Logen kills Tul Duru and Crummock's kid (at least I think that's who the boy with the axe was, I stopped at the end of the chapter) and jesus christ that has got to be the saddest loving thing I've ever read.

Now, if my predictive skills are anywhere near right, and they've toggled between nearly predicting stuff down to the paragraph (saw Jezal becoming king from Bayaz's first lecture) to being dead wrong (thought for sure he'd end up marrying Ardee somehow, now I get the feeling she'll end up "with" Glokta in some way although that's got to be wrong, she'll probably just suffer some ignoble death brought on by being too bitter to live) so I'm still hoping I'm wrong, but, Logen just needs to be ostracized, probably agree and decide, "welp, I'm irredeemably evil", probably be forced kill someone he doesn't want to while in his right mind to cement it (Crummock is a likely suspect, possibly Shivers (unlikely, he needs to be re-embittered, in any other series I'd say he needs to forgive Logen, but either way he's unresolved), maybe Dow although I think he's got a different death coming, if it's Dogman I swear to gently caress I'm done reading this goddamn book), and then die fighting the Feared.

If this book wasn't stuffed chock full of some of the best characters I've ever read I would have put it down halfway through the first book, but god drat this motherfucker can get inside a character's head, and I am flat-out addicted. Of course, once he kills all the "good guys" off I'm worried I won't give a poo poo about the story anymore--as bad-rear end as Bayaz is, I'm not reading it for him.

The only thing I haven't seen yet is a viewpoint from a clearly evil or clearly innocent (not to be confused with good) character--a Bethod POV would be nice at some point, or a minor like the dudes Luthar used to gamble with. After three books, he's starting to fall into the "unexpected is expected, everybody sucks" trap, and it's an open question in my mind whether he doesn't write those characters at all because pure greed/hate/idiocy is uninteresting and flat, or because he can't get into their heads. Or, even better but I'm doubtful by this late in the trilogy, getting into someone like Bethod's head would flip things around.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

From now until the end, things just get realer and realer. Come back and read that post when you're through (and then again when you read BSC and The Heroes, since some of the plot threads are left dangling) and you'll have a laugh.

Ahahaha I just read Glokta's proposal to Ardee. All I can say is, loving brilliant. And that he pulled it off in a believable way ... man it sucks that this is almost the end, this trilogy is amazing. The best part is, I have no idea what to expect.

Of course, there's a side of me that says he only wrote what I spoilered to give some sort of hope for a semi-bright future for Logen and the gang, just so there's something to take away at the end. He's never been hesitant to be a cocksucker to his characters before...

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

The Gunslinger posted:

I might have missed it but does he ever go into more detail on what happened to the last son of Euz? Bedesh I think his name was.

While we're at it, who the gently caress is Shenkt? I feel like I should know this.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Hughmoris posted:

For me, the Shenkt plot was probably what I enjoyed least from the book. Every single one of Abercrombie's characters have weaknesses and flaws, which is probably why I enjoy the books so much. I didn't really see this with Shenkt though. I thought he was too perfect, everything he did was badass and nothing ever got the better of him.

Vitari is pretty fuckin squishy, compared to Shenkt. If I wanted to hurt him, I'd hurt her, and if I wanted to hurt her, I'd hurt her kids.

Your complaint is perfectly valid if you look at BSC as the stand-alone book it's billed as, but really, it's not a stand-alone book and I don't think I'd have enjoyed it nearly as much as I did if I read it that way. It's a side-story, maybe, but not stand-alone. Shenkt will be back, and he will be hosed with. I doubt Joe's gonna let him stick his finger through Bayaz's eye quite as easily.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

systran posted:

:words:

You thought there were too many battles? Weird, I was thinking we didn't get to see the main characters fighting enough. As for Logen going all Bloody Nine, he did that, what, four times in the entire trilogy?

wellwhoopdedooo fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 16, 2011

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
ok, that's two of you now, my OCD will not allow this.

It's Logen.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
She got hers.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
I really hope he writes a book or two that delves more into the magic system he made. That scene where Bayaz loses control on the way to get the seed and reality starts warping was one of the most potent moments of "holy gently caress that's cool" I've ever read in a book.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Oatgan posted:

Yeah they shouldn't have ever made The Godfather, Gone with the Wind, The Shining, L.A. Confidential, Psycho, No Country for Old Men, Goodfellas, Silence of the Lambs, or Ice Station Zebra into films. What a total waste of time those endeavors were.

Okay maybe we could have done without Ice Station Zebra.

I would have 12 miserable hours of my life back if they never made Godfather.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Yeah that'd be about as cool as Randall Flagg's ending.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Bring back Logen!

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
It's surprising coming from someone who has had some of the best titles in fantasy, but (A) Red Country is (A) Terrible Title.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

onefish posted:

Not at all. Gets the point across pretty well. I do prefer it without the 'A' though.

Oh, it "works", mechanically. It just feels weird. They're both kind of generic words, and "country" ... I don't know. It just doesn't flow as well or have the same feel as The Blade Itself or Before They Are Hanged.

I get that he was playing Red Dead Redemption, and it's a western, but I really don't like the flow of it. Maybe it's different with a UK accent.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
I've never once read a scene by Sanderson that consisted only of somebody's eyes vibrating, bookended by commercials.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
And yet you can't spell his name right.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
I think Joe's restraint in using Shenkt shows that he'll manage to write these very powerful dudes in interesting ways. It's hard, not impossible, and when pulled off properly, it's the definition of awesome. :fap:

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Nope, it bothers the living crap out of me, and is a big part of the reason I always look on iBooks first. I've bought all of WoT, every book Sanderson's ever written, the two Rothfuss books that are out, the first couple Malazan, and a few one-offs for a total of 25 books, and have yet to find a serious issue with formatting. The worst I've seen out of all of those is the occasional spurious hyphen and very occasional oddly-spelled word.

IIRC, the Abercrombie books do get better as you go along on the Kindle. At least, I don't remember being bothered by it... actually I just looked, and all the books are fine once you hit LAoK.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Above Our Own posted:

Thanks for the responses, I guess I'll read BSC first. Abercrombie can write a hell of a character arc and I don't want to miss the setup if there's recurring characters between the two books.

A wise choice, because Shivers' arc is so awesome it hurts, and I don't think he'd be nearly as cool in The Heroes without reading it.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Kekekela posted:

Yeah, I read Heroes first, just finished BSC last week, and only realized who Shivers was in Heroes after reading this page and googling. :drat: Definitely gonna have to do a reread of Heroes. Its funny because I had a hard time believing that guys actions towards the end of Heroes on my initial read, but it makes sense now.

For me, his actions toward the middle were the most chilling goddamn thing ever.

*poke* *poke* *poke*

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Hughmoris posted:

I'm waiting for him to get to "It should have been you."

It was like, "Do it to Julia!" level creepy, and sudden, and hateful, and ... good.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Hughmoris posted:

Another point of different strokes for different folks. I loved Morveer's chapters and felt that Shenkt was the weakest point of the story.

I dunno, I feel like Shenkt was weak in BSC, but I can't wait to find out exactly what kind of shitbag he really is.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
I think you're thinking of:

quote:

"Normally I am a taciturn man. Too much time spent alone, perhaps." He flashed his corpse-smile at her. "But I find you ... bring out the best in me. The mother of my children is the same. You remind me of her, in a way."

Monza half-smiled back, but in her gut she felt a creeping of disgust. It mingled with the sickness she was feeling every so often, now. That sweating need.

She swallowed. "Could I--"

"Of course." He was already holding the pipe out to her.

And then the next section starts with her trying to close her fist. So, no immediate rapey vibe, although it seems like it might have gone there if she'd stayed and decided she didn't want to bang him--the fist closing scene shows that he doesn't really take "no" for an answer as a matter of policy. He's not portrayed in a sympathetic way, that's for sure.

Then as it goes on the book then goes on to slowly show him as more and more of a moral character, until by the end he's practically the hero of the book, and while you're "in it" you tend to (or at least I did) either forget how morbid his entrance was, or almost feel bad for thinking he was a bad guy to begin with.

Which, to me, in this series, means that he's probably going to be most awful, moralizing, evil gently caress since Hitler (or Bayaz if you prefer).

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

That whole subplot did seem really weak. I barely remember any of it besides the cool fight at the end.

To be fair, it was a pretty cool fight.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Duck and burger posted:

I decided to give The Blade Itself another shot and I'm enjoying it quite a bit (about 1/3 through). I'm making my way through Dogman's chapter, though, and it's a somewhat overstated summation of the tone of the book as a whole so far. I'll keep reading just based on Abercrombie's other strengths as a writer, but I'd like to know if I can expect anything other than very well executed dick waving.

what?

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
gently caress that poo poo, lovely ambiguous endings are a trope now and Joe's out to blast them all! gently caress yes, motherfucking Logen's back!

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

UncleMonkey posted:

I would love a Logen/Ferro reunion. :3:

Totally, I really liked those two broken-rear end people getting together and experiencing some real affection. Just, no more sex scenes with slurping noises please. That was a little much.

When he did it with the Jezal/Ardee, I thought he was making a point about how kind of twisted their relationship was, and it had a somewhat powerful effect on me, but after the second or third time I realized that's just how he writes a sex scene. I almost hope that he's got some point I'm missing, because as it is they're these uncomfortable moments that don't seem to add much to the story, and I'd just rather not read them.

Like I've got nothing against a sex scene, even if it is uncomfortably realistic, but if you're going to actually describe it I feel like it should have more to say than could be accomplished with a pan to the fireplace.

When I have sex I know there's just as much schlurping and stuff going on, but that's not what I hear while I'm in it, you know? So it makes reading them feel not only voyeuristic, but like I'm an alien watching the strange and gross mating rituals of a couple of bags of wet meat.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Ahahaha yeah I forgot about that, that was excellent.

I still think they were slightly creepy, but they were definitely a world better than the standard flowery description of how the virgin hero is an indefatigable sexpert who walks out triumphantly in a velvet robe as his concubine lays in a quivering puddle.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
I like roffles' idea better.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Well, revenge for her brother, and maybe also for betraying, trying to kill, and successfully mutilating her.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
I never got the incompetent vibe from him, just inhuman ruthlessness.

He definitely tried to play it off that way though, just not well or anything. He seemed to put just enough effort into it to allow Monza to lie to herself that he wasn't a complete sociopath, because he knew she'd take any out she could get to not separate from her last living family.

For readers though, I think it was always pretty clear that he was a bastard unless you're counting when he was a little kid.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

BananaNutkins posted:

Read the Heroes first if you want. I am one of those people who think Best Served Cold and the Heroes are really good, but can't easily recommend the original trilogy. You won't miss out on too much other than the background of Shivers, who is a minor character in the trilogy, and if you really like the Heroes you can work backwards.

You'll miss some little nudges and nods, but its not integral.

I'd recommend it in order, because I loved the entire series, but only the trilogy really needs to be read in order. And getting to know Shivers first in The Heroes will only make his character arc even more interesting when you read it flashback-style.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Am I the only one that pictures Bayaz as looking like this?

Once I started seeing him like that, the voice came along for the ride.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
I think it was more the strain of recovering from poo poo starting to get out of control. The floating rocks I don't think was supposed to happen. He did a lot more when he set the trees on fire, and that just made him tired.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
It's intentionally vague.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Ahaha the oxen named Scale and Calder is great. And if the extract is any indication, it looks like this book, true to the really good westerns, will be big on drama. Hot drat I'm excited.

As much as I'm loving these outriggers though, I hope he does the next trilogy and progresses the main story soon. I really want to see how poo poo gets real when the barriers break down, and I want to see Bayaz in over his head. That fucker is just too cool.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I agree, but it's the fact that he apparently hasn't slowed down that kinda hurts my suspension of disbelief, and that's why I'm saying if he's around for the next trilogy he should be significantly slowed-down. He's in his what, mid-sixties now? If we assume that around a decade passes between every trilogy/standalone (which seems to be the case) then anyone from the first trilogy should be decrepit graybeards by the time this third trilogy rolls around.

I don't think it's a spoiler to discuss the fact that Logen is in the most recent book, or his age, so this is going in the clear. There's a very minor spoiler quoted, so don't hover that if you're anal about it.

Anyway, he was in his 30s in the trilogy, and AFAIK The Heroes was about a decade later, which puts him at more like somewhere around late 40s to early 50s for Red Country. This page, although it doesn't list a citation, states that it's 13 years after the trilogy, which seems like a fairly specific number to pull out of your rear end. It jives with what I previously understood though, which is The Heroes occurring about a decade after the trilogy.

As for looking old as gently caress, living out in the poo poo ages your appearance quick, but if you've ever seen a 50-year-old farmer work, you're still plenty physically capable if you don't spend your life in an office chair. One particular dude I know is 60 years old and looks decrepit as gently caress, but if you tried to start something with him, he'd rip your head off and poo poo down your neck without breathing hard. Seriously, this it the guy I picture when I read Logen, right down to the heavy brow, sunken knuckles, and crooked sneer of a smile. When he fights people in bars now, he slaps them with his gorilla hands instead of punching so he doesn't fracture eye sockets, and I've never seen him even come close to losing, he's just freakishly fast and strong. At least three times, I've seen him slap people unconscious in one hit, it's honestly hilarious, he's just there like magic when a fight starts, and then it's over. So, by my estimation as long as next trilogy occurs within 15 years, it'll be (fantasy story) believable for a nice old-fashioned Logen massacre.

For anyone worried that this is spoiling Red Country, I'm discussing whether Logen will be able to trade punches in the next trilogy, if you want to see whether he actually gets into it in the current book you'll have to hover the spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Space Pussy posted:

a very specific scene in the first book of the trilogy which clearly shows that supernatural poo poo is going on with Logen.

I've only read the books once, what scene is this?