Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
I loving love Nicomo Cosca. "I remained firm yet amusing throughout..."

edit: Shivers is probably my favorite, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
^^^ Revenge stories are so the best stories

Mr.48 posted:

I hope he's better than in Last Argument of Kings, because he was a total bitch.

To say that he grows up a bit in Best Served Cold would be a pretty big understatement.

I called Bremer for a main char as soon as he first announced Heroes, so that's cool, but the guy I really want to hear more about is Shenkt, sounds like him and Bayaz have quite the history.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

Gravy Jones posted:

Despite the bleakness and death and all that they can be pretty funny as well in a slightly achronistic Black Adder kind of way.

I think they're loving hilarious, his sense of humor is one of my favorite things about the books. Frost's lisp and the Dogman's clumsiness in particular gave me some pretty unexpected laughs.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
Nope, Monza totally hosed her brother

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
While I'll never understand people complaining about how they don't want to be bffs with a main character, I just reread BSC a couple weeks ago and I definitely noticed all those other things you mentioned. It's just that all the things Abercrombie does that I like, characters/setting/voice/humor, more than make up for it for me.

ninja edit: and while the plot can be thin on the ground floor sometimes, the overarcing conflict Bayaz v Khalul definitely has me interested still.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
Big surprise coming from a freakin carebear :)

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

Evfedu posted:

I had thought, the diamond in the blackness was Glokta getting into power. If you can rely on anyone to work selflessly, it's him.

Even better, Glokta isn't alone anymore, he at least has someone to talk to now in Ardee

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
^^whether he comes back or not (he will) I choose to believe Logen lives

TShields posted:

Yeah I'm about a quarter of the way through "Best Served Cold" and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Someone please refresh me- we saw Shivers fairly briefly in the other books, right? I'd look myself, but they're loaned out. He was the son of someone and wanted to kill Logen initially, but then ended up liking him? It took me a while to pick up on Vitari being Glokta's old lackey too, had totally forgotten she existed.

He's Rattleneck's boy . . . no, the other one . . . work it out.

Shivers was the leader of the carls that left Bethod and went to fight with Threetrees, Logen killed Shivers' older brother when Shivers was still a boy, so there's some bad blood there, yeah. Also in case you missed it the banker on Monza's hit list is the same banker that bailed out Glokta in Dagoska.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
Only one choice for Bayaz

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
I love how cheerful Shivers gets when he decides to stop trying to be a good man.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

Hughmoris posted:

Say one thing for Hughmoris, say he'll be downtrodden if the Logen Ninefingers does not make an appearance in Heroes.

I don't think anyone answered my question earlier in regards to the Bloody Nine. I'm under the opinion that when he turns into a killing machine, he is actually possessed. It seems that the masses think he just goes crazy. Any thoughts?

Possession probably wouldn't be the word I would choose, but yeah it seems possible that the transformation into the B9 is tied to his supernatural side. At the same time though he gains no supernatural ability (preternatural, sure, but not super) and spends the whole series lying to himself about what kind of person he is and his own history, even when it seems like he's being brutally honest he's still spinning or obfuscating somewhat based on Bethod's revelation at the end. Logen has a lot of dark work in his past without even adding any battle madness. Given that it also seems possible that the B9 is the real Logen and everything else in the series is him making a conscious effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
^^ I'd forgotten about that "I'm free of you" line, that's pretty big, but I still think it could go either way.

Mr.48 posted:

Not really. All the poo poo Bethod says simply describes an ambitious young man who knows he can beat anyone else in single combat. Its fairly easy to see how a rash young man could see unifying all the disparate warring northern clans into a single nation as a noble purpose. By that token offering to duel would save many lives as opposed to just a massive battle where many more lives would be lost. The only truly "evil" thing he did was ordering that town sacked, and he seems to genuinely feel terrible about that and doesn't deny it. Him killing Shivers' brother was probably the B9.

Although I also kind of like the idea that B9 is not a separate entity, but the "real" Logen before he decides to try and become a good man. However, his first childhood episode where he kills his friend and doesn't remember why seems to indicate that the B9 was always a result of possession/split personality/some other mental illness.

You're whitewashing Logen, there's nothing in the text to indicate he was fighting for peace and the Bethod/Logen confrontation makes it very clear he was fighting for pride and bloodlust. "That's not how it was," whispered Logen. But he knew that it had been. He didn't kill Rattleneck's son in battle, he murdered a prisoner and nailed his head to Bethod's standard.

Ballsworthy fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 8, 2010