Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
One thing I liked, and I don't think it's been mentioned yet, is how he handled descriptions. Rather than having pages and pages of world building things only warranted detail if the characters weren't used to them. I don't think Shanka got a proper description until the second book because the only people who encountered them until then had been dealing with them their whole lives and didn't need to stop and marvel at how they looked.

Similarly, Logen doesn't really get a proper description until he encounters people who've never met him before because the story's from his point of view and he doesn't care what he looks like. Jezal, on the other hand, is always preening about how good looking he is cause he's vain.

Wow, that sounded like a book report... anyway. I liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
I view the endings as being like in The Wire, where they're not fairy tale, or even happy but very satisfying. Logen's ending in particular was a great way to finish his story and although not classically happy was very fitting.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

In the trilogy, was Logen's age ever mentioned? I always thought of him being in his mid 30's.

I'm rereading it, it is and he is.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
You really don't need guns to be a western. It's all about frontiers and wilderness and such. Even when it isn't, it's pretty easy to do a western without guns - Yojimbo for example.

Abercrombie talked a lot about reading and watching classic war movies and books to prepare for The Heroes and there weren't exactly Union soldiers with machine guns in the book.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008

Kneel Before Zog posted:

So for those who read both stand-alone novels. Which one reads better?

They're pretty different. Best Served Cold is a serial revenge novel while The Heroes is one battle from many different perspectives. That said I think the Heroes is better written.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008

Clinton1011 posted:

What is this The Dresden Files, Glokta doesnt wear a hat.

What? He totally does! Every time he's outside he's described as wearing a wide brimmed hat. I've always pictured him looking like a member of the Spanish Inquisition.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
Honestly, they're all really fast reads. I got them all on my Kindle and was honestly shocked at how thick they were when I saw physical copies in a bookstore.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
Yeah, the only time I've really felt like an author decided "gently caress it, let's just torture the main character" was in Robin Hobb's Assassins trilogy. That just piled poo poo on until it drove me right out of the story.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
Has that much time passed? I always got the impression he was in his mid-late 30's but had done a lot of hard living. The North seems like a place to age fast and die young.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
True, but if there was ever a character who'd do well in a fantasy Unforgiven William Munney type role...

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
BSC spoiler: I'm re-reading it and still can't find confirmed incest - are people reading into the rumors that are around in the book or is it expicitly stated somewhere? I feel like I keep skipping a part by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
If anyone's interested Joe's doing a review of his own books on his blog as a way to help his editing on Red Country. It's interesting reading him critique his own work, especially as he picks on exactly the good and bad points that people here notice as they read them. It bodes really well for Red Country being pretty drat good!

http://www.joeabercrombie.com/news/