Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Jekub posted:

If you go look at Joe's blog you'll find he's been doing a bunch of character introductions other then last few weeks for The Heroes, lots of good information and possibly some spoilers as well. Interesting to see that Bremer dan Gorst is back, and that Joe has thought of the effects that events in Best Served Cold might have on King Luthar's body guard. He didn't have a great deal of character in the first books but I'm interested to see where he goes with him.

Also there is an extract from the book over here.

from the blog:

quote:

We’ve also had a side-order of Beck, a more minor point-of-view character on the Northern side - a young lad obsessed with tales of heroism, and desperate for the chance to fight and win himself a name on the battlefield, and a high place in the songs. Just like his father, Shama Heartless, a famous champion killed in a duel with the Bloody-Nine. Knowing how my stuff goes, I’m sure that will all turn out exactly as planned.

:D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Did Abercrombie say that next up will be a trilogy?
Could be about the soon to be Styria-Union war...

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

a review from amazon:

quote:

"Another war," Clod Threetimes growled, "for another king who doesn't give crap for us. Seems a bit pointless, it does."
"Maybe," Nosegay shot back, "but do you want to be the one to let Tarry Blackstool down? Tell him how pointless his throne is!"
"Or maybe you want to take his place," Chug Beerbreath added, grinning as the fire shot sparks onto the toes of his deerskin boots. "King being such an easy job in a fantasy novel and all." He spat into the flames and resumed honing the edge of his axe.
"Not me," Clod said, rubbing his hands over the fire. His fingers hurt at night, but the fire helped with the worst of it. "I'm too old for that kind of thing. I only wish..." He trailed off. What exactly did he wish? For the return of his friends from the mud? For the vigor of his youth, in his sword arm and loins? For the chance to take a good dump without worrying about getting an arrow in his back?
The youngster's snotty attitude almost roiled Clod's temper; almost, but not quite. "I only wish," he went on, "that I wasn't spending another 600 pages in something that sounds like a drat out-take."
That put Nosegay back a bit. He leaned his sword on the boulder next to him, stroked his beard, and admitted, "You speak true there, Threetimes. I picked up on that myself. For at least a chapter I've been wondering why we all keep speaking in these war-weary tones. Aye, I've grown weary of all this war-weariness, and I expect a few readers have, as well."
Clod scratched the scars along his rib cage. "Back in the old days," he mused, "a book started with a proper thumping to someone. Something that got your blood racing. Like the Bloody Nine jumping off a cliff to save his hide, or two wonder-kids getting thrown off a cliff, but not the same cliff as the Bloody Nine. Which would have been a hell of a coincidence, when you think about it."
"That's how an adventure ought to start," the Chugger agreed. "Not like nowadays, when books start with a bunch of bit players trading menacing glances and tough-guy dialog, shuffling here and there until they get lost in bloody battle scenes with no point." He looked up at the grizzled Named Character. "Do you think those days will ever come again?"
"Days don't come back," Clod said. "At least not as long as Abercrombie continues milking the same world and characters that he already used to death twice before, without adding anything new. Even Bayaz just seems to be going through the motions nowadays. He's ever tossing his staff down in undignified ways and speaking brusquely and rudely, like Basil Fawlty with a bad hangover."
"We need some new ideas," Beerbreath muttered, "we surely do, but only Abercrombie can give us them." He heaved a sigh. "Until he does, we're just a bunch of well-written but one-dimensional swordsmen, trying to convince ourselves that this big war isn't just a fistfight between two bullies, played out on a grand scale."
"Or a money-making scheme," Threetimes agreed. Chug barked harsh laughter in response.
"At least this time I'll probably get laid," Nosegay said hopefully. "And in a very detailed, even gratuitous, way, Gods willing. That's a treat, even for a fictional character. I only hope she doesn't come on to me in a stilted and unconvincing manner, as if she were being paid to tart it up like --"
His remark was cut off as an arrow pierced his right eye, sending his flopping corpse tumbling into the darkness. Screams erupted from beyond the stone ring as a squadron of Tarry Blackstool's deadliest clichés sprang their trap. Beerbreath swung his axe about his head, roaring his battle-belch, while Clod sighed and thrust his sword between the ribs of yet another opponent. If only there was a point...

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Plucky Brit posted:

I think that death struck completely the wrong tone- I still don't understand why he wanted the sword (obviously one of the Maker's) to be buried. It seemed so completely out of character.

Because the blade itself incites to deeds of violence :smug:

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

John Charity Spring posted:

I've not read it but one of my friends - whose opinion on books I trust completely, and hasn't steered me wrong yet - read it due to all the praise it was getting and completely loathed it. Said it was one of the worst-written books he'd read, bankrupt of any virtues.

I liked Heroes die, but I think the other 2 books (The blade of Tyshalle & Caine Black Knife) were better.

It's bloody, fun and interesting enough to keep me waiting for the next book.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Late 70s?
BSC happens a bit after the trilogy, and Heroes happens a bit after BSC, so he'd be his trilogy age plus a few years.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Kekekela posted:

I think my favorite part of that exchange was:

"drat, so I guess Shivers was working for you too huh?"
"No, just got lucky there lol"
:stare:

here's a part I liked:

"Knives, and threats, and bribes, and war?"
Bayaz' eyes shone with the lamp light, "Yes?"
"What kind of a loving wizard are you?"
"The kind you obey."

all he needs is a "Bad rear end Motherfucker" wallet.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

joe, you bastard, making me cheer for a bloodthirsty psychopath again

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

savinhill posted:

Yeah, pretty much this. One thing that I think pointed to the Bloody Nine being possession in Red Country was when Logen was fighting the Dragon People on that bridge and he was about to start attacking Shy and his stepkids too, until others interfered. Say what you want about how much of a violent prick he is, but I don't think Logen would want to kill children he loved and raised.

I don't see why he wouldn't kill them if he has multiple personalities or some other mental disorder.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

http://www.orionbooks.co.uk/books/detail.page?isbn=9781473201675

This is insane. 3000 pages. It'll fall apart after the first read.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Fire Safety Doug posted:

I think "E-book" is the operative word here :)

ma bad, that sounds normal

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

he's not possessed, he's just a goddamn lunatic

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Space Pussy posted:

Try reading the books.

there's a :smuggo: smiley missing in your post

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Xenix posted:

Well, he does hold his own (while grievously wounded) against a pre-Bayaz creature who is being helped by something akin to High Art. He then kills said creature when that help is no longer available. I mean, Fenris made Northmen poo poo themselves in fear when he was just in their general vicinity, but I guess some mental illness and telling yourself that it's better to do something than to live in fear of it will get the job done in a pinch.

Now, that's not to say that he doesn't make bad decisions and isn't in complete denial about enjoying violence.

We know that he's not a regular human (speaks to spirits etc). That doesn't have to mean that he's possessed by a demon. Who says he's not somewhat resistant to whatever makes Fenris Fenris.

I don't like the possession angle because it sounds like a justification for him, as in "oh poor Logen, he wants to be a good man but he's got this ultraviolent demon in his head".

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Above Our Own posted:

I don't know why people love the theory so much that they'll jump way out of their way to prop it up. Yes, there's tons of evidence that it is an actual possession.

The list you made isn't evidence. There's nothing there that really points to demon possession.

Above Our Own posted:

If you want to read some alternate personality theory into the text then I can't stop you, but you have to at least concede that the personality is so strong that he really has no control over it so it doesn't change the question of his guilt, and then you've got to come up with retarded theories to explain the superhuman poo poo instead of just sticking to the text.

The retarded theory explaining the superhuman poo poo is - he is superhuman.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Half a World is set in a post-apoc version of our world. Or at least, a world that had skyscrapers and computers.

I had a feeling it was. Are the "ancient elves" the pre-apoc humans then? And magic is the technology that survived?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

spandexcajun posted:

I have not really read any other young adult stuff and I'm old now so I don't know how it stacks up to modern YA fantasy but it's readable.

Try Frances Hardinge. Fly by Night series (2 books), A Face Like Glass and The Lost Conspiracy. I haven't named her latest 2 books because they didn't really grip me like these 4.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

team overhead smash posted:

So based on the prophecy I'm assuming we all think Logen Ninegfingers is going to show back up in book 2 based on the prophecy mentioning a lamb eating a wolf or whatever it was

No, remember how at the end the people are calling Orso the lamb.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Gantolandon posted:

I have no idea who the owl is supposed to be. Maybe Bayaz?

the owl is a symbol for wisdom, iirc, so probably bayaz

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Rustybear posted:

He was at the Bloody Nine/Fenris the Feared showdown... but it's strongly implied everyone in the north including unborn babies held a shield at that duel.

I know people are gonna say relax he's just a new guy but they way Joe keeps repeatedly teasing the reader just makes me think there's more here than he's letting on. He's clearly well known to Shivers and it just seems like a weird beat to have Caul Shivers (the hardest bastard in the North) be so clearly afraid of some old guy the readers never heard of before.

Is Dow definitely dead? Dow would fit.

abercrombie isn't teasing readers, he's establishing clover as someone who has a Name and used to be a bigshot (or at least a midshot) but got his head screwed on the right way after fighting in the circle and now he avoids the battles etc but is still not to be hosed with (clearly for those who know him from the steep field days, and not so clearly for the new breed of northmen)

this is just going overboard with "everything is a mystery!", which is something that happens when you have prophecies and callbacks to earlier books like what's going on in the first law universe

by the way, how would black dow fit? you mean the former ruler of the northmen is walking around pretending to be this other guy and black calder, scale, shivers, all these other guys are just going "well hey there buddy"
it's like obama going incognito as a white house intern
and shivers having a friendly chat with logen is ridiculous

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Fly Molo posted:

Yeah, based on that prophecy the Weaver is 100% Bayaz. He’s engineering a massive crisis, and I think that’s why he wanted the Burners to seize Savine. Glokta might be on in it (with Bayaz promising Savine won’t be harmed), or perhaps not.

Right now, the Union is like pre-revolutionary France. Kings and governments are impotent because old nobles still assert their privileges and control huge amounts of the nations’ wealth. The Revolution shattered the old order and broke an entire social class’s power, but just a few years later, an absolute monarch (Napoleon) was ruling, with far more absolute power than any previous king.

In a way, Savine is a perfect ruler in Bayaz’s eyes- Jezal’s firstborn, Glokta’s heir, and a smart, ruthless, business-savvy CEO-type. He could kidnap her, use the revolution to break the nobles, have Orso as an impotent bitch unable to fix things, then present Savine for the reactionary conservatives to rally behind, and crush the revolutionaries. Plus, this weeds out anyone with revolutionary sentiment in the population.

Then Bayaz could use Savine to set up even better, self-perpetuating tools to crush the serfs (corporations) and turbocharge industrialization, with no more troublesome nobles to get in the way. And what better pretense for a huge reordering of society and consolidation of power than a near-collapse?

so basically, bayaz has decided that capitalism will grind the poor into an even finer paste than feudalism and is trying to effect the transition

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

PopetasticPerson posted:

My biggest question is why Shivers left Calder for the Dogman. There has to be a story there but nobody ever even looked twice.

It was probably finding Logen and closing that chapter in his life. Plus there's what Rikke said about him being lost but still being there inside, maybe he saw the Dogman as someone he actually wanted to follow or as the least bad of all the Northern leaders/warlords.
People probably did look twice but let's be real here, if Calder was gonna send a spy he wouldn't send Shivers, the heavily scarred man with a reputation for brutality and a Name, all of which makes him stand out, the opposite of what a spy should be like.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Ccs posted:

Wait when is she shown to be magically competent? And when does Glokta talk about burning things down before retirement?

in the new book

“Sometimes,” he (Glokta) murmured, “the only way to improve something is to destroy it, so it can be rebuilt better. Sometimes, to change the world, we must first burn it down.”

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

if you regret getting invested in a character only to see him die then you're looking for plot armor, which to be fair is quite common in fantasy and scifi
orso was a king during a revolution, that he was alive at all at the end of the book is a miracle
rikke's betrayal was pragmatic. think about it. helping a deposed monarch escape so he can threaten to take back the throne? and meanwhile you're on a war footing with the union, after already having a massive civil war? how would that be a smart move?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

cloverfield lol

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Tofu Injection posted:

Bayaz wouldn't be doing that, given that he murdered Juvens and all. unless its an accident, but my guess is accidental or otherwise that was Glustrod

and beyond the door a figure rose from the seething sea, a figure made of blinding light, and his feet left smouldering footsteps in the shingle, and he spoke in thunder.

Great Father Khalul. Arch Priest of the Temple of Sarkant. Holiest of all whose feet touch the earth. Humbler of the proud, righter of wrongs, teller of truths. Light shines from him as it shines from the stars. When he speaks it is with the voice of God.

I doubt this is it, "I am returned" implies it's someone who's been away for a loooooong time and khalul has only recently disappeared
but I would like to finally "see" him, since he's never appeared in any of the TEN books

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Paddyo posted:

You mentioned KJ Parker earlier in the thread and I just picked up Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City. Pretty interesting so far, but I can't figure it out - is the setting supposed to be Byzantium or just a Byzantium analog?

the setting definitely isn't byzantium so I guess it's an analog
almost all of his works are in the same world except the temporal distances between them can be thousands of years
so it can happen that in one book you meet the robur, a refined people with an immensely powerful empire, and in another you hear talk of these savages called robur (which is presumably the precursor nation/people of the robur empire)

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Sinatrapod posted:

When it's Sword Time everybody else is trying to play some other kind of mental game, either snarling intimidation or rope-a-doping or playing to the crowd or frenzied theatrics or whatever else, while Gorst is like Sad Goku who only leaves the Hyperbolic Time Chamber to whip your rear end in the most efficient way possible.

IIRC this, without the sad goku part, is what shivers' fight in the circle was like in the 2nd book

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Crespolini posted:

That's what Isern said, and Rikke wearily agreed, but...once they get out of Adua, why do they have to keep him at Carleon, exactly? Just send him on his way to Sipani.

the question is what kind of relationship would the north then have with the union. remember, orso existing is a direct threat to not only leo's rule but his life as well since in case of a counter-revolution orso would definitely kill him. I doubt Leo would just ignore that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

I'd go with Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City. The third book either came out recently or will soon be released.

All his books share a lot of names and places, but it's more he seems to like to re-use names rather than them being in the same setting.

or it's the same setting but hundreds if not a thousand plus years apart