Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mars4523 posted:

I just finished Red Country. Man, I really liked it, and I'm not even a huge fan of Westerns. I actually was way more interested in the Fellowship and Crease scenes than the climactic parts of the story (although I still had to love a climactic wagon chase). And I loved Shy (and am kind of torn between being glad that she gets to exit the narrative being happy and alive and being sad that we'll likely never see her again). See, it is possible for your dark and edgy "gritty" fantasy to have female characters who play a direct role in the story and do not fall neatly into the category of whores(/sex objects), rape victims(/sex objects), or (emphatically not sex objects, probably villainous).

Not such a happy ending for Lamb/Logan (is that even a spoiler?) though, although it is an appropriate one. And he did settle down and spend 10+ years as father figure to a bunch of kids, though. So there's that.

Monza isn't any of those categories. :colbert: Well, okay, maybe she's a little villainous.

Edit: and to link into an early discussion about sympathies, I relate a deeply worrying amount to Calder and Finree. I love Calder's last scene with his brother in particular. :unsmith:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

denimgorilla posted:

Best Served Cold, while good, did seem like a little too much of a bummer for me. Every character in it is broken and only trying to inflict their pain on others.

You got a problem with Friendly and his dice? :colbert:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Damo posted:

I finished Last Argument of Kings last night. I don't really even know what to say about it right now. Still processing. When he writes "no one gets what they deserve" boy did he mean it. At least that means one person got a happy-ish ending, even if he probably deserved it the least _____Glokta_____.

It was good though. Every fantasy reader should read this trilogy for sure. I'm going to miss reading about Logen and Glokta so much.

Bayaz deserves his happy ending less.

Although he did work pretty hard for it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Grand Prize Winner posted:

You know the thing that weirds me out about Abercrombie's YA stuff? They're like action movies. Not much sex or swearing, plenty of violence.

I mean, a book for teens that starts with a kid getting shanked in the neck? Whoah.

Counterpoint: Roald Dahl was goddamn morbid and is basically the best children's author - not YA, but actual tykes - ever to walk the Earth.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I genuinely like Calder and Finree. :ohdear:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Neurosis posted:

What's wrong with Finree?

She's a manipulative borderline-sociopath? (Who uses her powers for good, mind.)

The combination of which is why she is the best, except maybe Calder for loosely similar reasons. I love his last scene with his brother to BITS.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

But what about Sardinia

Autocorrect is a motherfucker.

There are other people in the series who come up with a scheme to benefit their employees / people at large - my personal favorite probably has to be Finree, since we never actually see Calder get his poo poo together (other than his last scene with his brother :3: ) whereas Finree has a nonzero track record of looking out for the folks who were getting trodden underfoot and will probably make a really good wife-of-administrator. Almost certainly a better person than Cosca on balance, seeing as how the only people Cosca gave a poo poo about were A) himself and B) his employees, in that order.

Finree's big problem (and Glokta's to the extent that his job doesn't inherently make him a terrible person) is that when presented with the opportunity to move up within the Union's moderately unpleasant system and work within it, fully aware that it's unpleasant and some of why, she made the obvious, sensible choice and said "gently caress yeah". She'll get to do some genuinely good things while being an effective cog in the machine of empire.

Not that I don't love Cosca, mind you. He's a fantastic character and not completely bereft of redeeming qualitiies.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Suxpool posted:

Anyone who doesn't think The Heroes is the best of Abercrombie's work is just all kinds of wrong.

I loving love The Count of Monte Cristo Best Served Cold, but The Heroes is phenomenal.

Edit: and Calder and Finree are two of my favorite characters anywhere. That last scene with Calder and his brother. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Imagining my ruler softly crying in his chambers as I force him to pick the scorn your wife option because I need to save the gold for a bribe to the pope

Huh. Guess I'm sold on the comparison (although i generally try to RP my character in those decisions, no matter how bad the results inevitably are)