Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Also, whenever Bayaz does any kind of magic, it drains him physically quite a lot, so it's unlikely he'd be manipulating Jezal constantly like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

sarsbar posted:

I wasn't referring to the fencing tournament. I was talking about after Jezal was crowned.

Yeah, this is what I meant too. It's very clear when he does it during the tournament, but after that I didn't notice any instance when he is clearly manipulating things with magic

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I dunno, I pictured Bayaz as looking less imposing and more "plain", like a sad middle aged guy who works at Borders because he can't find a teaching job.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

PonchtheJedi posted:

On Logen, The Bloody-Nine, and Best Served Cold Spoilers :

I thought the Bloody-Nine was just a personality disorder until somebody on this board said Logen might be possessed. That didn't fit well with me until Best Served Cold came along, and in that book there is a scene where the North man Shivers goes into a blood rage, and starts saying the same things the Bloody-Nine says : I am the Great Leveller and all that. Shivers even remarks that it is the Bloody-Nine's words coming out of his mouth before he starts cutting his enemies to shreds. That certainly seems to point to either a curse of the North Men, or that Logen was possessed by some kind of demon (which I guess suggests that he died before Best Served Cold) or something. It seemed to indicate that a lot of the Bloody-Nine's badness wasn't Logen's fault at all. At least to me.

I agree. Also, Logen is able to communicate with the spirits, so it's already established that he has some sort of link to forces like that.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Just got an email from Amazon that "The Heroes" will be arriving on January 27th instead of February 9th. This makes me extremely happy.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Barbe Rouge posted:

Did Abercrombie say that next up will be a trilogy?
Could be about the soon to be Styria-Union war...

He said that the next book will be another stand alone, followed by a trilogy.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I've been really busy this past week so I'm still not very far in The Heroes, but I just read the part where (semi-spoiler from the first 200 or so pages) It follows a Union soldier until he gets killed, then the Northerner who killed him until he gets killed, etc etc for a bunch of deaths until it gets to Gorst riding in a like a badass at the end. So loving cool, the battle scenes here are already the best Abercrombie has written, and I'm only a third of the way through the book.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

silly posted:

One thing that did bug me (fairly big ending spoiler) The whole bit with Calder and ha! ha! Bayaz runs everything (AGAIN) bit was a bit lame. Bayaz' influence is getting a bit ridiculous if half the warriors on the Northern side answer to him. It also makes the point of the war a lot less clear. Also it doesn't really address Ishri and the whole larger conflict

As others have speculated, everything in these books seems to be building up to a major war between Bayaz and Kanedias. Maybe now that Bayaz has control over Calder, the Union and the North will be forced to become allies against the South in the next book or in the upcoming trilogy.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Clinton1011 posted:

There is a character arc in Best Served Cold that I think you would want to read before you read The Heroes. It's not required to enjoy The Heroes but the character is in both books and it just makes sense to follow their story in the correct order.

That's the most major thing, but there are a couple of other things too. Even though they are stand alone stories, several references are made in The Heroes to the events of Best Served Cold. While they aren't spoilers that would totally ruin the book, they definitely give away some of the ending. Monza is referred to at least once as gaining political power (or something along those lines) so you know she succeeds at least partially in her mission. Both the fact that Shivers is back in the North and has lost his eye give away most of his arc. Also, BSC contains the scene where Gorst "fails" the king, which helps to explain much of his angst in The Heroes.

The two books could definitely be enjoyed in any order, but I'd still recommend reading BSC first.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

AcidCat posted:

Finally finished the First Law trilogy today. The books took a while to build up steam, but I really like the direction everything ended up going in, and I think the trilogy had a really solid, satisfying ending.

Any advice on the next Abercrombie book I should go to from here?

Best Served Cold is next, both in terms of publication order and chronology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Also I think the writing gets better as the books go on. The Blade Itself was his first novel ever, and I think it shows.