Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Finished the first law trilogy, great books, took me a while to get hooked but i think I went through argument of kings in 3 days or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

In case anyone's interested, here's a panel from this past weekend with Joe Abercrombie, Brandon Sanderson, Jim Butcher, Peter V. Brett, Deborah Harkness, and Naomi Novik:

http://vimeo.com/15695484 (part 1)
http://vimeo.com/15696007 (part 2)

Recommended for fantasy nerds in general. There's a lot of talk about the direction fantasy is taking these days.

edit: In the second part he talks about GRRM being an influence on him. This doesn't surprise me.

Wow, Sanderson is a complete dork, and a microphone hog too. No one wants to hear you talk that long.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Heroes talk here I thought the book was OK, but it was very one dimensional and I got tired of hearing Craw talk about straight edge, and the Northmen playing the stereotypical part. As well as seeing more incompetence from the Union, both of which have already been done over and over again in the other books. Someone posted an amazon review earlier in this thread, and it kind of hits the nail on the head. I think Joe could have done more with this if it was a longer period than 3 days. 3 days is not enough time to give anyone character development, except maybe Calder, but he didn't change all that much, killing Tenways, and Reachey after the battle. Too bad about Bremer too, should of stayed in the North. I'm really more interested in the Prophet and Bayaz conflict, so far we don't know anything about the Prophet, so there is some unexplored ground yet for Joe to cover.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Bizob posted:

all he did was get knocked out by Shivers in that whorehouse. then he got made a scapegoat for the entire fiasco.

I think that he is actually just making an excuse to make himself feel better by saying that he was made a scapegoat. Finree says that he was drunk with a whore in Sipani, and that it had happened before. He also internally monologues that he would never let himself get weak again like he did in Sipani during one of his running sessions or something.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Yadoppsi posted:

I must have missed that then. I don't remember reading about any mark.

I remember reading it, but for some reason I had forgotten all about Kanedias, so it didn't make any sense to me at the time either.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Some hatin of Cosca going on here, he wasn't always jaded, if you remember in BSC he taught Monza and her brother how to read. So he hasn't always been a heartless person, but during the time frame of the stories we read he is. It would be interesting to read his story from the beginning I think.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Really wanted to read the Gorst short story, Yesterday, Near a Village Called Barden. A shame it was never released in anything but 5000 hardcover books sold in England. At least we'll get to see it next year. Just a whole book of Gorst plowing through people would be fine with me.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
I really loving hope we get some First Law storyline continuation. It really seems like Abercrombie is trying to avoid tackling it by doing the standalones and the young adult series. The Juvens, Kanedias, Bayaz and magi mess was what was really interesting I was kind of expecting a First Law book before 6 unrelated books released.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
They are good, but you just get snippets of plot thread compared to the first three. I'm just hoping he doesn't pull a GRRM somewhere along the line as 3 mostly and 3 entirely unrelated books makes it feel like he is avoiding tackling that plot.

And I feel like the reason this thread has had so little activity is because his last three books especially were a little forgettable compared to his others.

Destro fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 21, 2016

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
I thought the comic was decent, there just wasn't enough interest to keep it going unfortunately.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

FordPRefectLL posted:

its funny bc bremer dan gorst and finree both hate everyone but gorst does it in the gooniest way possible so it's awful when he does it

You take that blasphemy back, Gorst owns, I could read for days about him goonily crushing everyone under his boots.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Yeah that scene did own.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Khizan posted:

One thing about Logen is that all through the original trilogy, he wasn't really actually angry.

Oh I think Bethod might have something to say about that

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
25 bucks for the hardcover man are real books expensive now, poo poo isn't even that thick.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
I wonder why they even have separate covers at all, at least at initial release I would guess it would be cheaper just to go with one cover and call it good.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Sjonkel posted:

Finished Sharp Ends recently, and really enjoyed it. My favorite story was the one told from the view of random characters involved in some of the scenes from Best served cold. Probably not the first time someone has written from that point of view, but it was clever and pretty interesting.

I haven't read any of Abercrombie's YA stuff. Is it worth it for a guy in his thirties if I've enjoyed everything else he's written?

As a guy in his thirties who read them I thought they were definitely his weakest titles. Some cool stuff, but mostly it seemed he took alot of the character personalities he made in the First Law books and put them into some of the YA characters. It wasn't nearly as interesting either and I've forgotten most of what happened didn't feel emotionally invested in anything that happened. They aren't terrible books by any stretch, they just felt like 'filler' books someone who needed a break from what he was writing would write.

That said I'm looking forward to him getting back to the First Law world now as I really did like those books and read them maybe 3-4 times.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Grand Prize Winner posted:

When's the last time he put out a SoIaF book? When's he gonna put out the next one? I think his problem is that we've all read his stuff already. Also lemoncakes.

wild cards and cons bro

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Tree Dude posted:

I just read that mild spoiler and don't remember really any of that apart from who the "she" refers to. I think that means I can read the series again and have it feel pretty fresh. Woo for my terrible memory.

It was from BSC when Yoru comes to offer Monza the backing of the bank after she took over Talins. Shenkt then told him to gently caress off.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
I'm kind of jealous I wish I was reading the books for the first time. I felt the same way in that it took me over half of the book to actually get into it. You're definitely in for a ride.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

King of Foolians posted:

I never thought that the relatively few sex scenes Abercrombie has were all that graphic, especially considering some of the other fantasy novels out there.
But he also tones down the cursing in the Shattered Sea trilogy..

They always seemed more humorous than anything

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

ZekeNY posted:

I didn't see anything that made me take that sequence at anything other than, er, face value (sorry).

Same I'd have to re-read that section to be sure but I thought there was still a bandit not dead that he forgot about when he was celebrating killing 2 of them.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Totally agree I abandoned it in the 90's when I was in love with trope fantasy, Just how much filler do you need to add to make something happen?

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
I thought BSC was a great fast paced and fun read. I imagined the scene where Faithful Carpi gets ridden down into the river, then shouts out how he was faithful to everyone he served before getting pulled into the water wheel so vividly that it's probably my favorite moment from the book. Can't wait for the next First Law book though, its been a long time, at least Abercrombie put 3 other books in another world out during that time, but overall they were pretty overage and just left me wanting him to go back and finish the First Law books more than anything. From what I understand there will be a cast of new characters but the old ones will still be around and I'm really interested in seeing what they've been up to and can't wait for Bayaz and the Prophet to go at it.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Notahippie posted:

I just reread through the books in series, and one thing that stuck out to me in doing that was Javre. No spoiler tags because none of this seems spoilery to me, but be warned.

The Templars of Hoskeep have the only magic weapons we've seen in the world, and the only magical items you see in the series that i can recall with the exception of a magical McGuffin that is never really dwelt on in one of the Sharp Ends stories. That seems significant to me even though the Javre & Shev series of stories is mostly a comic take on Fafhred & the Grey Mouser. I can't figure out if Abercrombie included all the magic swords because that's he genre he was working in, or if he intentionally is suggesting that there's a lot more magic out in the world than the really limited witches & magi that show up in the main series. If so, there are potentially a lot of new directions the new trilogy could go in terms of upsetting the geopolitics we've seen so far.

There was also the Divider in the Maker's house with one blade in the real world and one in the other or whatever, been a while since I read it.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The banking conspiracy and Islamic cannibal monsters are a bit suspect storytelling devices in my opinion.

e: Also I love the implication that I single-handedly introduced is disagreement and dislike into the thread.

What are your thoughts on the books tie-ins to real life lizard people and the Zionist agenda?

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Though this is the most posts I've seen for years in this thread, usually pretty dead so that's a positive. Also can't wait for the next Law trilogy

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Coincidentally, my first crush was a horse

I feel bad for the horse

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Ccs posted:

He just wrote a big takedown of Abercrombie’s books in the Bonfire of the Genresthread if you guys wanna read that.

Nah I'll pass

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Someone should read those and tell me if any are good. Please? Also self published book covers are always the best.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Don't recall that glokta was snipped. Wouldn't make sense to marry and claim the kid if he had.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Everyone would probably know if he was snipped so he wouldn't have any explanation as to how he was able to have a kid so no one would believe him if he said Ardee and Jezal's kid was his.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

spandexcajun posted:

Glokta dick chat:

I remember something like this as well, I don't think he was cut. But the kid POV is probably Jezel's bastard.

it's definitely jezals kid

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

ZekeNY posted:

That's interesting, though. If she's Jezal's kid, will she be as generally worthless as he is? Or if she's competent and ruthless, is that a tell that she's Glokta's kid?

Probably she will turn out fine, is the kid a girl? She's only going to be Jezals kid by blood, but being raised by Glokta and Ardee probably will be competent and ruthless. It's definitely Jezal and Ardees kid though since Glokta never did anything but talk to her until she was pregnant.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Think I'd like to see Bayaz and Khalul go at it for a finale to either of them. I'd also like to know more about the lore in the past that he has intentionally left vague, the Tellers of Secrets and Glustrod and all that poo poo would probably make 3 more books.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

cargo cult posted:

bro I'm trying to power through Name of the Wind because my cousin insisted and the main character hasn't expressed a shred of self-doubt or faithlessness a single time in 600 pages

Sounds like an unreliable character to me

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I didn’t like Glokta but I really can’t stand the “magnificent bastard” type character—he irritates me in the same way Tyrion does. But they always seem to be the most popular characters so maybe it’s just me.

Logen was always my favorite because I’m a sucker for the “former bad guy tries to go straight and leave his past behind but it catches up with him” cliche. But even then I feel like Abercrombie drew too stark a line between Logen and the Bloody-Nine so 9 often felt like a whole separate being that occasionally possesses Logen’s body rather than just the nasty side of Logen that he tries to compartmentalize.

Really fun books though. I originally wasn’t sure how to feel when it was announced that the sequel trilogy(?) would follow the children of this trilogy’s protagonists, but after giving it some thought I think if Abercrombie pulls it off he can get the best of both worlds: build off of the characters and storylines from The First Law without being totally beholden to them or undercutting any of the characters’ endings.

In Red Country Logen made it clear part of him enjoys being the Bloody Nine. IIRC he told shy he felt relief when they got to the farm and found her family hanged, because then he knew he could go back to being what he was. Still possible that he gets possessed, but he probably doesn't fight it too hard and then feels bad afterward, and that is the nasty side of Logen.

Destro fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 18, 2019

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Did I mention I'm really looking forward to another First Law book this year. I liked BSC, The Heroes and Red Country. The young adult trilogy he did was mediocre I thought, but it's been a long time since he's continued the main story of Bayaz vs Khalul, which I want to see.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
But he also did in Ladisla so it all evens out right?

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

loquacius posted:

Agreed with everyone that Clover's climactic scene was really well-done; it shocked and surprised me while also leaving me feeling like I should have seen it coming. Kind of retroactively affected my opinion of the character too.

Going forward with my reread and there are definitely some supernatural elements to Logen and the North that just kinda got dropped -- the shanka I don't think have come up in a very long time, for example, and more importantly I straight up forgot that Logen had psychic powers. Like, besides him knowing how to call spirits, there were the parts where he caught a deer with his bare hands by meditating, and where he held a campfire in his mouth and used it to explode a guy. That was all in the first 10% or so of book 1. It was never really explained and he just kinda stopped doing that stuff eventually IIRC.

I kinda feel like Logen's character started off as a Norse mythology epic-hero pastiche, with all of these vaguely-defined nature-oriented special talents, and ended up just being a particularly bloodlust-y career soldier with a violence addiction.

Been a while since I re read but I kinda remember the fire spitting as him spitting a spirit of fire or something which goes with his talking to spirits. Abercrombie maybe chose to drop those elements since magic is leaking out of the world etc..., but it was also his first book ever and probably nothing was very concrete back then. Probably he just decided that being the Bloody Nine was enough supernatural elements for Logen to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

loquacius posted:

here lies Gorst, he never scored

e: one of my favorite lowkey moments from the new book was Leo geeking out when he finally got to meet Gorst in person but immediately being disappointed by Gorst's weak handshake, because that proves that sadly this famous war hero is actually bitchmade

In the scene where Gorst and Savine were sparring Abercrombie was passing Gorst off as being weak too, until he got let off the chain. Dude lives only for fighting hopefully we get to see him go back to it.