Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

anathenema posted:

I dug it, but I'd be hard-pressed to deny the charge of juvenile dialogue.

"Look, son, maybe you could just be gay without sleeping with everyone in town?"

"Why, dad, can't you deal with it? GAWD!"

Didn't his Dad have his lover slowly and publicly impaled through the rectum in the city square? I didn't think it was just juvenile bitchery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

neongrey posted:

He at least appears to have some sort of crippling depression issues, as opposed to just, you know, not writing. The net result is the same to the reader, but I find it easier to be sympathetic towards someone who's got actual problems as opposed to vague writer's block.

And I think that the next book has actually been delivered and is on schedule to be released this spring.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
Say one thing for Joe Abercrombie... say that motherfucker just got paid.

http://www.joeabercrombie.com/2011/01/04/new-year-new-deal/

4 more books after the Heroes (a standalone and another trilogy). Nice.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
Just finished the Heroes. I liked it quite a bit, it kind of feels like Abercrombie was just wrapping things up in the North so that whatever he does next can be somewhere else without people moaning about wanting to know what the Dogman is up to.

There is at least one answer to a question that people have asked about the end to the First Law trilogy. poor west

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Bummey posted:

Have I forgotten this much about what happened in BSC? What did Bremer do to deserve this?

all he did was get knocked out by Shivers in that whorehouse. then he got made a scapegoat for the entire fiasco.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

gninjagnome posted:

The only thing I really didn't like about the end of Heroes was Bayaz's "this was my plan all along!!" with getting Calder in power. I thought that was dumb. I don't mind Bayaz getting what he wants, but I would have preferred if he just made use of the situation at hand rather then having orchestrated any part of it.

"Good planning allows for accidents, it makes sure all accidents are happy ones." I took that to mean Bayaz was hoping to use Calder, but had some other alternatives. Shivers stepping in during the circle was totally unplanned, and if not for that Calder's plot line would have had a much different ending. Given that Scale was still alive and in Bayaz's hands, Bayaz likely would have just stuck Scale on the throne after getting Tenways or Stranger to off Dow.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Kneel Before Zog posted:

An odd request but could someone spoil the major events that happened at the end of BSC? I never finished the book and left it back home but I've been holding off Heroes because of this.

Where did you leave off? Was it before or after Shivers gets his eye burned out by torturers?

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

anathenema posted:

So, our friend Abercrombie gets a mention in this blog by scared old people as a fallen, bankrupt nihilist.

He's got a point or two (in that Abercrombie tends to be needlessly negative at points) that are quickly overwhelmed by various old school fanboy wank. The comments are pretty golden, though. See how long it takes you to find the Islamophobe and the conversation praising Gor for its "unabashed political incorrectness" and "turning Women's Suffrage on its head."

The simple fact that "Heros Die" is cited along with the First Law and Malazan in that article is almost enough to get me to overcome the shame that would come with buying something with that awful cover. Can anyone tell me if its any good?

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

gninjagnome posted:

I like that he put's Conan up on a pedastal, as some sort of mythic hero of good in line with the heroes of LOTR. If I recall correctly, Howard let Conan sleep around, leave friends to die, backstab people for money, etc.. many of the things the that guy is ragging on modern fantasy for.

I'm reading one of Howard's Conan stories on the project gutenberg website right now, and it is hilariously racist and sexist. Prose so purple that it might as well be black except Conan doesn't like things that are black

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
How does everyone feel about Abercrombie's fellow nihilist/corruptor of fantasy Richard K. Morgan? I ask because it looks like Morgan is almost done with the sequel to the Steel Remains and just posted a new sample chapter on his blog. It is... gross.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Hughmoris posted:

We are of a singular mind. While gunpowder would be interesting, I hope Abercrombie doesn't introduce it anymore into his stories. In the trilogy, was Logen's age ever mentioned? I always thought of him being in his mid 30's.

I think he was the same age as Bethod, and Bethod had two sons that were both adults by the end of the trilogy. That'd put Logen between 30-45 I'm guessing.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Notahippie posted:

Specific to that, I may be missing something obvious but I couldn't work out what Yoru's message to Bayaz was in the scene where Bayaz is getting extremely pissy because the lord marshall is going to sue for peace. Sulfur comes up and whispers in Bayaz's ear, and suddenly Bayaz relaxes and says "go for it." What message do you think he passed on? I was looking for strange or unexplained phenomena after that scene, but I never caught it.

It may have been news that Stranger Come Knocking was ready to switch sides

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

While I recommend reading Best Served Cold, there's some other information that was missed in the above point that relates to the grander story.

1) Styria was basically a proxy war between Bayaz and Khalul
2) Bayaz had a second Eater apprentice named Shenkt, who turned his back on Bayaz
3) Shenkt is the father of Vitari's children and a tremendous badass
4) Shenkt becomes an advisor to Monza as Duchess of Styria and has her turn away offers of aid and alliance from both the Union and the South, making Styria a nation independent of the mechanations of the apprentices of Juvens

5) Shivers gets an eye burned out with a hot poker by people torturing him for information because they don't believe that he is telling them the truth. He then goes absolutely crazy and eventually just replaces his burned out eye with a steel ball.
6)A random Styrian noble likes piss play

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

A relatively important character tells the main character that he likes strong women and asks if she'd piss on him. She just walks out. It's done more for comedic effect than anything, and nor is it much of a spoiler.

Does she walk out? I kind of thought the scene cuts out at a point where she goes "well.....".

Anyways, its a totally unimportant detail that I threw in there as a joke.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

cultureulterior posted:

Richard Morgan's The Steel Remains.

If you read this, you can read the sequel in october.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

zoux posted:

What's his next project?

Another trilogy in the same world and two more stand-alones I think.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

I dunno, I feel like Shenkt was weak in BSC, but I can't wait to find out exactly what kind of shitbag he really is.

Well at the very least he is the kind of shitbag that is married, finds a horribly injured woman, hauls her to his private cannibal shack and then rapes her while she recovers but is too injured to get away.

e: I do like that these books feature a character that we see repeatedly killing and eating people, including children, and it is entirely understandable when people say, "I wonder what his character flaw is going to be."

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Clinton1011 posted:

Did I miss something? I don't remember that happening or even being implied.

Edit: when did he eat a child?

Maybe I'm mis-remembering but I thought there was a scene where he is creepily tending to her wounds and says something along the lines of, "you awake certain passions in me that only my wife has ever been able to excite" then cuts out and returns with a line along the lines of "when he was finished..." which I read in the worst possible way, given Abercrombie-world.

As for eating a child I know he at least kills one during the final battle in the castle.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

I think you're thinking of:

And then the next section starts with her trying to close her fist. So, no immediate rapey vibe, although it seems like it might have gone there if she'd stayed and decided she didn't want to bang him--the fist closing scene shows that he doesn't really take "no" for an answer as a matter of policy. He's not portrayed in a sympathetic way, that's for sure.

Then as it goes on the book then goes on to slowly show him as more and more of a moral character, until by the end he's practically the hero of the book, and while you're "in it" you tend to (or at least I did) either forget how morbid his entrance was, or almost feel bad for thinking he was a bad guy to begin with.

Which, to me, in this series, means that he's probably going to be most awful, moralizing, evil gently caress since Hitler (or Bayaz if you prefer).

Yep, totally my bad. Glad he wasn't as much of a creeper as I recalled.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah I can agree with that. TFL spoilers She gets reincarnated by making a deal with blah blah on the other side just so she can get revenge. Yet she has several opportunities to gently caress him over and she just lets him live for no apparent reason. Her character motivation is supposedly revenge but she doesn't bother despite it being simple for her to renege on her end of the deal.

I think that while she is driven by revenge, she is also supposed to have been driven completely insane by the voices / demons / other side and was more or less just doing their bidding.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
It is entirely possible that I just made that up like I made up the Shenkt-rapey vibe thing. My reading comprehension is apparently not so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

DarkCrawler posted:

I think Yoru Sulfur was doing some other stuff, in the swamp or spying on Ishri or something like that.

Wasn't he off negotiating with Stranger Come Knocking or some such?