Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Gravy Jones posted:

I haven't read Best Served Cold yet but I really enjoyed the First Law Trilogy. Very fast paced, a lot of fun and a lot of the boring (to me) fantasy stuff trimmed back to a minimum.

Despite the bleakness and death and all that they can be pretty funny as well in a slightly achronistic Black Adder kind of way.

I just started Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding and thought it had a similar feel. Not far enough into it to give it a solid recommendation either way. It's similarly fast-paced, brutal without getting too bogged down in lore and world building and really doesn't feel like it's going to be super-happy-fun time for the obviously very flawed protagonists. It's more steampunk (guns and airships) than high fantasy. But in terms of tone it might be worth a shot for people who prefer this kind of fantasy to the density of something like the Malazan books.

And while he's not as handsome :allears: they share a similar taste in dust jacket photos

Chris Wooding wrote a couple of novels I liked a whole loving lot, The Fade, and the, um, Weaver trilogy? I bought an omnibus version of that one, and I read it all in like 3 days, that poo poo was mad awesome. Especially The Fade, that book ruled hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU