Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Above Our Own posted:

:stonk:

No not really I don't remember any rapes at all.

There's some implied but I don't remember any "on screen".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Bussamove posted:

There's one scene that immediately pops to mind, but it is resolved very quickly and never really touched on again afterwards.

I forgot about that one, not the one I was thinking of. I guess there are two.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

UncleMonkey posted:

She almost does. But West shows up in time to stop it and throws Ladisla off of a cliff in one of my all time favorite moments in all of the books so far. It's how he earns his name..

And yeah, poor Terez. I felt so awful for her.

There is another part of The Heroes I'm thinking of. It's not on screen, but Two girls get kidnapped, Finree is released, they imply the other girl is to spend the rest of her life as a sex slave of the mountain man. It was pretty horrifying, even if it was only alluded to.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

Yoru Sulfur and Shenkt, I don't think anyone else has been shown.

If Shenkt knows then Monza probably knows.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Blue Raider posted:

Wasn't there some speculation that Logen was unwittingly an agent of a third brother or something like that? The mythology of the books has Kanedius and Juvens, but I seem to remember a third sibling that was hardly ever mentioned. I don't know. It's been a long time since I read the trilogy, and the mythology has always been a bit murky to me anyway, but I want to say your point has been raised somewhere in this thread. Where, I do not know.

There were four of them, Glustrod is the one who tried to use the seed. I think the fourth one IS the spirit talking one, but I forget his name. They don't know what happened to him, which to me implies that he is very much still in play.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Huskalator posted:

I have always felt the Bloody Nine was part demon. As I recall Bayaz says something in the trilogy about Demons and humans crossbreeding way back in the past and that the offspring had immense power. He says that in the present there still may be humans around with a little demon blood in them and that even that little bit would make them much more powerful than the average human. IMO the Bloody Nine is part demon and this is even hinted at in Red Country.

Being part demon was why he needed Ferro. The bloody nine was neededfor talking to spirits. If Logen were both, Bayaz would know, and wouldn't have gone through the trouble of saving Ferro.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

loving sweet.

Man, I hope Bayaz will finally get what's coming to him. Though knowing these books he will probably end up winning.

I wonder if we'll finally get a Gurkhish(?) perspective in these. It is still the big mystery land, we don't hear a lot about them other than through rumor/Bayaz/Ishri. Sounds like it's going to be a long time so I'm ready to be patient, but I'm excited for him to continue the "meta-conflict" in full force that he's been dancing around for awhile.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It was most clear in the trilogy, where they were clearly spread too thin. They were an island nation that also had little bits of colonial territory on both the landmasses to the north and south. Defending both Angland and Dagoska was probably impossible.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

So It Goes posted:

Can you post the world map? The only one I can find online is a specific map of the far country area, not a map of the world.

Wasn't there four brothers including Juvens and the Maker. Did the other two do anything or matter in any way?

Glustrod was supposed to have the power to talk to the outside. I think he was denied it and made the seed and did it anyway, unleashing a bunch of demons. I believe Juvens stopped him.

The other one is Bedesh, who had the power to talk to spirits(like Logan). I believe it is unknown if he is alive, and if so, where he is.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

No one cares about your stupid, made-up anecdotes comparing people who like a series to people who have a thing for sex offenders.

I care about them. Please tell us the story of the tortoise and the Malazan fan next.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Rurik posted:

I've never cared much about Gorst. B9 was my favorite character in the trilogy, but I feel like his glory days are kind of over now. I'd like to see Ferro. And Bayaz. Each time we've seen Bayaz after the trilogy it has been only a glimpse at most. drat it Joe, you know we know how important he is. Just let us look what he's doing already! :argh:

The next trilogy is going to have to be pretty inclusive given all the stuff they've set up. Save for Logan I think the Red Country characters were at a good place where he doesn't need to go back to them, but the story definitely calls for more Monza, Calder, Ferro, and someone in the union leadership(hopefully Glokta). (Bayaz goes without saying.) Granted, he eschew expectations and tell the whole thing from the Gurkhish perspective, but no way do those characters not play a role.

Personally I want a Khalul perspective but I don't know if he wants to kill the mystery there.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 18, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Play posted:

Surprised no one's mentioned Cosca as an awesome character yet. He's definitely among the best. Maybe I have a really soft spot for eloquent, nihilistic drunks. Morveer was good too, kinda like Gorst with his almost automatic hate and bile for others yet always wondering why people don't treat him well.

Morveer was certainly awesome but Cosca definitely wore out his welcome by Red Country. I wasn't amused by his antics any more, I just wanted him gone. I guess I don't share the love for Gorst others have either, I never really felt sympathy for him the way I did even for Morveer.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Umph posted:

I loved every Abercrombie book, reread the series getting ready for red country, and the heroes is one of my favorite books of all time.

I can't finish Red Country. I don't know why but I hate it. It's like there's a different author. I tried to get more than 1/3 of the way through twice and I can't. It's getting OK reviews too, I don't know what's wrong with me.

The second half is an improvement for what it's worth.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Vivoviparous posted:

Hopefully this is a stepping stone to a party-based CRPG set in the First Law universe. :gizz:

I propose hack and slash action game starring Logan. It doesn't have to be canon at all, have Logan fight the Feared and Shivers and Bayaz and the Maker's dragon.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Prince of Nothing is more grimdark than asoiaf could ever be and I still like it, there's just...weird choices in there.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Above Our Own posted:

Bayaz shows a ton of restraint. The only time we even see Bayaz harm many innocent people is when an army of superwizard cannibals breached the city walls and that was more indirect fire than anything else. Other than that we see him generally put up with people who antagonize him, handsomely reward people who will obey him, and even give his enemies a chance to cooperate. He's really more like a fantasy extension of a mob boss than a figure like Stalin or Hitler.

He does really selfish poo poo to secure his own power and plans, so he's not a good guy. But he's not a force of chaos or evil either.

There was also that time he led that army to war over ...something? That counts as harming many innocent people.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Above Our Own posted:

You could say that sending your nation's armies (mostly volunteer armies, too, by the way) off to fight in wars of conquest is evil, but I think that's an overly black and white way of looking at it. I also thought there was some reason that the seed had to be "activated" in Adua. But even if not, I don't know that directly engaging the armies who were laying seige to the city was even an option. As for handing himself over to certain death, yeah right. That's a tall order for anyone.

My impression from Sheknt's character was that they don't have a choice at all. But maybe they do and Shenkt just isn't willing to give up his power, which would add some (much needed) moral complexity to the character.

loving yes.

It was explicitly stated that it was only at Bayaz's demand, and it was over a price dispute. Choosing to send all those people to their deaths over that is pretty clearly evil. I think that's pretty black and white, don't go all fallacy of grey on me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Ardee? Finree? Beck made a terrible mistake but I think he learned from it and isn't a bad person. Craw betrayed Calder but seems mostly alright.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I don't think avoiding combat in a pointless is war is immoral or wrong. He seems callous from the years of war, but I think Tunny's alright.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I don't think he's ever killed a pov character offscreen. I doubt that is what happened, we just have no idea what's happening in Gurkhul and haven't from the beginning. I'll bet the new trilogy has someone from there's pov.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

nutranurse posted:

On the subject of people having babies, didn't Abercrombie say that the next trilogy deals with the children of the protagonists/next generation of people to be screwed over by Bayaz/Khalul?

I'm sure most of the original POV characters will be in it, just not the focus. I doubt he'd go so far as to set it after their deaths. Surely Shivers will be redeemed one of these days(nope)!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I love the way Ishri just keeps appearing out of nowhere and freaking everyone out.

I always imagine her smirking and musing "I never get tired of that" to herself.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah the first book is mostly setup.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Add in the fact that Eider was working for him and it clinches it. It is undoubtedly Glokta.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

No more First Law books until 2017 then. Pack it in it's gonna be a long thread.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

John Charity Spring posted:

As thread creator I hereby decree that this doesn't become another Bad Thread. For the love of God please.

I mean he has good reasons, if he's really gonna publish the trilogy all together then it is going to be awesome. We don't have enough catchphrases to make this a bad thread.

Excuse my while I photoshop this picture of Abercrombie and write Monza-Terez erotica.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Duke Orso wasn't that nice a guy anyway. Seems like the best thing for everyone was her and Cosca fake fighting and keeping the locals out of it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'm going to skip spoiler tags, go read the books if you haven't!

I just reread the trilogy also, and a lot of stuff clicked into place. Despite Red Country taking place around the Old Empire, I assumed the emperor that they didn't want to piss off was the Gurkhish one, and didn't make the link until I noticed the strange title "Legate" in Before They Are Hanged, which was important in Red Country. I had also confused Zacharias and Yulwei as to be consistent with my Gurkhish empire idea. An Old Empire revival is interesting to say the least, especially given that the Union was concerned with their sovereignty and didn't want to step on their toes. It makes me want to reread Red Country despite not being crazy about it. I also forgot about Pike, aka Salem Rews, who was mentioned as a superior in Red Country, and Brint a general.

God I want the new trilogy now...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Did they ever state where Caurib was from in the trilogy? Was she an eater? (This was the sorceress empowering the Feared.) I know they talked about the Feared being made by Glustrod, but I don't remember any backstory on Caurib. She certainly counts as some source of magic.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

UncleMonkey posted:

Wait, Rews was Pike? Holy poo poo! I must have completely missed that because I never put it together. Wasn't Pike (originally) the prisoner working as a blacksmith or something in the prison camp that West takes on as a soldier? If so, what does that say about his "daughter" then? It was pretty much stated that she wasn't actually his daughter, just some girl he was protecting, right?. Was that not true either?

Man, I really need to do a re-read apparently. Wow.

It's weird because both West and Glokta knew Rews from the war, West recognized him at the open council meeting, and yet didn't put two and two together in the north because of his "facial injuries". Pike aka Rews most certainly knew who West was.

West even chided Glokta for sending him off by telling him a positive war story about Rews after seeing him banished.

vvv Glokta recognized him immediately, though he noted that he looked different, had seen him more recently up close, and has an, uhh, investigative mindset I guess?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 15, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Braking Gnus posted:

ed: Also, it was Jezal who was at the open council meeting and recognized Rews. He had had dealings with his father and was justifiably concerned.
West definitely brought him up in a conversation with Glokta, I thought he was present as well, and was trying to make Glokta feel guilty. They were certainly in the same unit. Maybe I misread the situation, I know that Jezal also knew who he was.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Big Bug Hug posted:

I haven't read the entire thread because I want to avoid spoilers, but I'm just about near the end of the Last Argument of Kings. I'm listening to the audio book, which has one of the best narrators I've listened to (Stephen Pacey). The books took a while to grow on me, then I started noticing how awesome Abercrombie is at character descriptions, and started totally falling in love with his writing. I think I'll listen to them all again when I'm done, or read the ebooks since I've bought the first for kindle as well.

I believe I first looked him up on a recommendation by GRRM funnily enough.

You probably know this already but there are three standalone books that follow after the trilogy, and they are awesome so you should definitely read them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

TOR posted the entire short story Abercrombie wrote for the anthology Dangerous Women, Some Desperado. It features Shy South from Red Country before the events of the book.

http://www.tor.com/stories/2013/11/some-desperado-joe-abercrombie

Cool, thanks for the link. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I really want to read the short stories about Craw and Gorst that are only in a Compilation/special printing of the Heroes.

vvvvvv I didn't know that one, I know there is a Cosca one for Red Country as well.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 4, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Suxpool posted:

As an avid fantasy fan, Abercrombie is far and away my favorite author. When he said he was going to set aside the series I love so much to work on a trilogy of YA novels I was greatly disappointed.

After reading that piss ant of a chapter I'm excited all over again.

edit: Also has anyone else noticed this trilogy makes 8 out of 9 Joe Abercrombie books where the main character is defined or repeatedly hindered by a crippled hand... I wonder if it's been pointed out to him.

He seems pretty big on missing/crippled body parts in general. Glokta, Logen, Monza, and Shivers. Jezal got his nose bashed in overseas as well but that's not as permanent.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Why did Monza have to goon out about mending fences with Shivers like that? :( I was really frustrated by that and still really liked that book, I definitely agree with you. It is tough to say if it is better than The Heroes in my eyes, I didn't like Gorst but ended up liking Calder of all characters? I never thought I'd see him redeemed. (Frankly him killing the weakest dude in the trilogy didn't really fit with his character in Heroes.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Smiling Knight posted:

From another perspective, she is starting anew the chain of petty wars that tore Styria apart in the first place.
Yeah and they are still ongoing as of red country where they got news of her conquering Sipani (who were neutral in orso's war).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Did Shivers say he still was looking for revenge? He seemed pretty over his beef with Logen, like he was just there because Calder sent him and it wasn't personal any more. Maybe I'm not remembering things though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I like the books a lot too but his criticism is pretty valid, it is fine for some characters not to change but it's weird that none of them do and his post added to the thread by making me think critically about the book. Also y'all are responding to criticism like console warriors, jus sayin'. READ THE REVIEWS DUDE THIS BOOK GOT 3.5 STARS YOU ARE RETARDED GAMESPOT GAVE IT A 9/10.

Seriously like:

List of POVs who change positively:
Jezal...a little
Temple stops running away from things
Beck

Change negatively:
Shivers

Don't change at all:
Logen
Bayaz
Glokta
West
Ferro
Cosca(I think he had a POV?)
Vitari
Morveer
Friendly
Shenkt
Gorst
Calder - (okay maybe a little bit, but he mostly says the same)
Craw
Finree
Flood

Not sure:
Monza - ehh I don't think so
Shy - don't remember well enough

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 26, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Grand Prize Winner posted:

e2: also, Calder changes a bunch from his appearance in The Blade Itself to The Heroes. That was all offscreen, though. It's fair to say it doesn't count.
Yeah this is true. His personality in the trilogy seems pretty out of place for how he is written in The Heroes, having re-read the trilogy after reading The Heroes it almost seems like a continuity goof. Did Calder ever talk about how he changed, or is it just not being king poo poo of poo poo mountain under Black Dow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

"Possessed by a demon" uhh yeah that's it I was totally possessed.