Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Viper_3000 posted:

I shot this for a friend on his 7D a few weekends ago. I didn't realize how hard it was going to be to pull focus in daylight with that tiny rear end screen. Next time when I get more than a few hours notice I'll look into renting one of those eyepieces and an actual shoulder rig. I'm still happy how it turned out though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ-XNZKlxb4

I love the Pete and Pete references. Well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I was shooting some breakdancers last night (totally impromptu, so no preparation on my part) with my D5000 and a fast, non-VR 50 prime. The video quality itself isn't too bad, but my hands are jittery as hell. Would a VR lens help? I don't know if VR kicks in during video.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

pwn posted:

You did pretty loving good for no shoulder rig. Great video.

Yeah, something with a follow focus and a viewfinder would have made this a lot smoother and more in focus. I'm fine with what I got though.

And yeah, I dig the Pete and Pete concept my friend decided on doing. The editing makes it, as he's a way better editor than I'll ever be.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
It looks awesome, what lens were you using?

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

ease posted:

It looks awesome, what lens were you using?

Used a 50mm for the shallow DoF shots, mostly just a kit lens though(18-55).

I'm broke so I don't have many options. I'd like the 24-70L glass, but I'd be eating ramen for 1/2 a year to get one.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
How many times did you shoot the band playing the song? How many hours all told to shoot?

Hats off to the editor, he did a fantastic job as well.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

pwn posted:

How many times did you shoot the band playing the song? How many hours all told to shoot?

Hats off to the editor, he did a fantastic job as well.

I did 3 separate takes of the band doing the whole song in the front yard. One for front coverage, one from behind the band and grabbing some more front coverage, and another where I got creative and shot what I thought would look good. Then in the back yard we did 1 take of the entire song, as no one likes being in a warm kiddie pool. Then we did 2 takes in the front yard with smoke bombs starting at the breakdown.

Seth, the director/frontman of the band/editor/DP, shot most of the B-Roll stuff in between performance shots. (Basically the band would do a take, then take 15 to cool down as summer is in full effect in Tennessee. I think the heat index was 104 that day.)

All in all it took about 4 hours to shoot, as I got there at 2:15 or so, and we wrapped by a little after 6. Most of that time was spent waiting for extras for the crazy performance shot at the end, and the party stuff by the kiddie pool.

I stuck the camera on a tripod and slung it over my shoulder as a makeshift rig, which worked okay, but I really couldn't see the LCD to focus at all. I'm normally a sound guy, so this was a crash course in camera op-ing, but I now understand why you guys like your counterweighted shoulder rigs with follow focus and a big viewfinder so much.

It's kinda like why I like my lightweight shotgun and my boom pole with the XLR through the pole and a connector on the side and not the bottom.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I need to spend some time and learn how to edit video. What do people use for that?

Here is a clip I shot straight out of the camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tom_rintjema/4754086859/

pwn
May 27, 2004

I use Adobe Premiere CS3. It works fine with Nikon's avi files, no idea how it works with whatever Canon poops out. It takes a while to learn it well enough to fully exploit what it can do, which I imagine is true of any real editing program. If there's a decent public access station near you, you should consider volunteering, that's where I learned to use NLEs (non-linear editors.)

pwn fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 2, 2010

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

pwn posted:

I use Adobe Premiere CS3. It works fine with Nikon's avi files, no idea how it works with whatever Canon poops out. It takes a while to learn it well enough to fully exploit what it can do, which I imagine is true of any real editing program. If there's a decent public access station near you, you should consider volunteering, that's where I learned to use NLEs (non-linear editors.)

Premiere also works fine with Canon's MOVs. The interface is very similar to what Final Cut Pro uses as well, so if you later switch a lot of the tools and concepts will be the same.

Get CS5 if you have a new nVidia card because it has video card acceleration.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

orange lime posted:

Premiere also works fine with Canon's MOVs. The interface is very similar to what Final Cut Pro uses as well, so if you later switch a lot of the tools and concepts will be the same.

Get CS5 if you have a new nVidia card because it has video card acceleration.

I snagged the Adobe package cheap as a student, but since the school uses Final Cut I've never gotten around to trying Premiere since I have't been up for trying to learn a new interface. I think I might give it a shot now, though. Do you know if there's a simple way to change the keyboard shortcuts in it to the ones from Final Cut Pro, or do I have to do it myself if I want that?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This thread will not go gently into that good-night

The D3100 officially puts Nikon in the 1080p camp with Canon! The following shooting modes are:

1920 x 1080 (24p): 24 fps (23.976 fps)
1280 x 720 (30p): 30 fps (29.97 fps)
1280 x 720 (25p): 25 fps
1280 x 720 (24p): 24 fps (23.976 fps)
640 x 424 (24p): 24 fps (23.976 fps)

No manual exposure controls yet as far I can tell. :argh: The buttons are also a bit different; now you flip a switch to turn on Live View and there's a button in said switch to record/stop record.

What some people think is the biggest handling improvement is the autofocus mode during shooting. I haven't used it, but it's probably pretty useful for some stuff (live music, family videos, anything that isn't scripted.) There's still no substitute for manually focusing, if you're using MF glass or at least MF-era AF.

pwn fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 21, 2010

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
The D3100 really needs an audio input though. Even the T2i has an audio input. outrageous

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Isn't the T2i a couple hundred dollars more expensive?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I'm not so sure what the big deal is with audio input. I agree it's a pretty simple feature for them to be lacking, but if you really want good audio, get a external recorder and sync in post?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Here is a hand held video with a 300mm lens on a 7D. It was dark enough that the camera would not lock on with autofocus. I tried to focus manually and follow the subject, but I jerk the lens around when I focus.

Baby duck eats a fly:
Click

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

ease posted:

I'm not so sure what the big deal is with audio input. I agree it's a pretty simple feature for them to be lacking, but if you really want good audio, get a external recorder and sync in post?

I think it depends on the usage. If I'm starting and stopping the recording a lot then it would be nice to have decent audio already tied into the clip and not have to spend the time syncing in post. Maybe in the D3100s its a case of not having enough space to put it in.

Beastruction posted:

Isn't the T2i a couple hundred dollars more expensive?

Yea, you're right, I thought they would be priced at the same point.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

TomR posted:

Here is a hand held video with a 300mm lens on a 7D. It was dark enough that the camera would not lock on with autofocus. I tried to focus manually and follow the subject, but I jerk the lens around when I focus.

Baby duck eats a fly:
Click

Thats actually great looking for handheld. If I don't have something attached to the camera to help me stabilize, everything looks like poo poo.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

TomR posted:

Baby duck eats a fly:
Click

Cute, and surprisingly stable for a handheld shot at 480mm equivalent. What's the awful noise in the background? Could you maybe replace it with something else or just lower the volume a little?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

ease posted:

Thats actually great looking for handheld. If I don't have something attached to the camera to help me stabilize, everything looks like poo poo.

I've found that holding the camera away from your body with the strap tight around the back of your neck is really the only way to hold it by hand and not have it shake like a leaf in a thunderstorm.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Maybe the noise is the IS motors and crickets mixed? I should have mentioned the lens has IS, that helps a lot with hand held video.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

The D3100 really needs an audio input though. Even the T2i has an audio input. outrageous

I bet for 98% of D3100 users they wont even know what an audio input would be used for let alone why it is better, you need to remember this is pretty much the entry DSLR from Nikon. I am sure they could have added it but it would not be worth it to increase the price of it for that 2% of users that maybe know what it is and want to use it.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I think it depends on the usage. If I'm starting and stopping the recording a lot then it would be nice to have decent audio already tied into the clip and not have to spend the time syncing in post. Maybe in the D3100s its a case of not having enough space to put it in.

Theres that plugin where you record on an external recorder and just use the inbult mic and it will take both the sound files and automatically sync it in based on what has been recorded by the inbuilt mic.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Fists Up posted:

Theres that plugin where you record on an external recorder and just use the inbult mic and it will take both the sound files and automatically sync it in based on what has been recorded by the inbuilt mic.
I need this, what is it??

edit: please

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

pwn posted:

I need this, what is it??

edit: please

This is the one
http://www.singularsoftware.com/pluraleyes.html

pwn
May 27, 2004

Awesome thank you! If this works well I will put together a sound team* and go nuts.

*Musician friends lol

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Note I haven't used it.

I've just seen it mentioned in many blogs about people who say its great.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Here's a video about some guy selling PL mount modifications to 7d/5ds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDRR0mlX1B0

And a good interview with Rodney Charters :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7l6e0Y4NkU&feature=related

And a cinema PL mount 7d:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eduhm7G01io&feature=related

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Finally have a PC I can edit video on, so spent an hour with a friend at the skate park demonstrating how much I suck at aiming a camera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd7c8ugCVfU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Filming skate stuff with a DSLR is tough, I could never keep it still enough and any motion jiggle gets compounded like crazy. But, one day I will rent a fisheye and make it look epic. My favorite skate camera right now is the HV40 with a baby death wide angle lens.

edit: Here's some sick footy from a goon http://www.flickr.com/photos/bearandyeti/4918153414/ using a DSLR

AIIAZNSK8ER fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 6, 2010

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
^^- That video is awesome.

My friend is borrowing my tam 17-50 on his vacation, so all I had was my 50mm macro. I had the camera on a tripod with 2 legs up using it like a monopod or just tilting the head and holding onto the thing like a long stick. Definitely was fun tho. I love skating.

ease fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 6, 2010

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

ease posted:

Finally have a PC I can edit video on, so spent an hour with a friend at the skate park demonstrating how much I suck at aiming a camera:

It might not be what you were going for, but this has a cool vintage-y look to it :)

pwn
May 27, 2004

ease posted:

Did you pull blown hightlights in post on the clip at 00:50-01:00? That was otherwise a badass shot.

You did good for hand held, especially pulling focus. I tried shooting at a skate park, once, with still photography. It did not go well.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's a typical focal length commonly used in movies? I'm going to try my new T2i tomorrow and want to take only one lens with me, to not end up being a pack mule (have to carry lots of other things). I kinda want to use my 30mm Sigma, but with 50mm effective, I feel like I might gimp myself. I'm going to film mountain bikes jumping off various constructions.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's a typical focal length commonly used in movies? I'm going to try my new T2i tomorrow and want to take only one lens with me, to not end up being a pack mule (have to carry lots of other things). I kinda want to use my 30mm Sigma, but with 50mm effective, I feel like I might gimp myself. I'm going to film mountain bikes jumping off various constructions.

Do you have the 17-55mm kit lens? If you're filming during the day and don't need really fast glass, I'd just take that.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Kind of the same for your typical photography primes. 85, 50, 35, 24/28 etc.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I like using video to try things I've always wanted to do. I can't wait to do a dolly zoom shot someday :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y48R6-iIYHs

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

pwn posted:

I like using video to try things I've always wanted to do. I can't wait to do a dolly zoom shot someday :3:

I've played with it on a small scale, where I just use a tripod, and tilt the head where the camera stays parallel to the ground and I just use a 17-50 zoom on some toys on my desk.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

GH2 officially announced - some interesting features.

- 40 fps mode edit: burst at 4MP
- 1 to 1 pixel digital zoom function
- manual audio levels
- touchscreen focus
- 1080p24 24Mbps avchd now with b frames
- live hdmi output
- variable frame rates of some sort
- zebra

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
A client wants me to try and put together a flash video of various landscape pans. Whether I take them as actual video pans or fake it with stills making the video should be relatively easy, but I'm not sure how to make that into a flash movie. Converting to flv isn't tough, but getting it onto a web page is the hard part. I'd really like to avoid spending $700 on flash creator, so I'm hoping there is some open source/free/cheaper solution?

I don't need any interaction. Ideally just something that plays a video on loop would be perfect.

• Locked thread