Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking about picking up a D5300 as a third camera for video. I'd been hoping to find something a bit more interesting that would double as a compact stills camera for personal use, but nothing quite fit. The Sony a6000 looked like a cool option due to the EVF and some nice features on the stills side, but the 50mm OSS I was hoping to use with it turns out to have a craaazy long throw on the manual focus. Haven't been able to figure out if the 16-70 f4 has the same issue. If not, it's on sale for $300 off with the camera right now.

As much as I don't have any desire for another DSLR, the D5300 has given me great results every time I've rented it. Is there anything else in the price range or a bit more I might have overlooked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

powderific posted:

I'm thinking about picking up a D5300 as a third camera for video. I'd been hoping to find something a bit more interesting that would double as a compact stills camera for personal use, but nothing quite fit. The Sony a6000 looked like a cool option due to the EVF and some nice features on the stills side, but the 50mm OSS I was hoping to use with it turns out to have a craaazy long throw on the manual focus. Haven't been able to figure out if the 16-70 f4 has the same issue. If not, it's on sale for $300 off with the camera right now.

As much as I don't have any desire for another DSLR, the D5300 has given me great results every time I've rented it. Is there anything else in the price range or a bit more I might have overlooked?

Why would a long focus throw be a problem?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

powderific posted:

If you're manually focusing lens for video anyway, you could always go for a good manual lens and just use a convertor for the mount I guess. I use a helios 58mm for some stuff for example and it's been pretty good- check out the mflenses forum online if you're looking for something specific.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Long focus throw (if that's the right term for it) means that I can't do a decent rack focus. To go from, say, 2ft away to 10 ft I'd either have to do a crazy contortion or interrupt the focus to reposition my hand.

I love old MF lenses, but I want to have IS so I can go handheld without any kind of support. Right now I brace a monopod or tripod under my arm to do steady handheld with the D800 and non-IS lenses. With a lens that has decent IS I can just handhold the bare camera. I've done this with the D800 and a 24-120 or 70-200 but it gets very heavy. My other option would be a camera that's designed for shoulder mounting, but that doesn't look to be happening for under $20k or so investment. I'd definitely by buying Nikon for anything MF since, outside some specific cases, it'll all mount on the D800 without converters.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

Chitin posted:

I'm not getting the GH4 hate - the reviews I've seen have been universally positive. The only source I've found for 8 stop DR is one YouTube video where the dude hasn't even responded to questions about whether he brought back super whites. All the footage I've seen has looked great, if a little bit processed, but nowhere near the awfulness of most DSLRs.

On paper you really can't argue with the specs. They are amazing. The image I just don't jive with though. Stu sums up my thoughts: http://prolost.com/blog/2014/5/16/a-gh4-in-the-hand-vs-sony-a7s-preorder.html

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
I don't know, I guess I disagree. I certainly prefer the video I've seen to Canon DSLR color, which makes skin tones weird and pink. I'm not saying it's an amazing image - I'm just not seeing what compares in the price range given the reliability/usability of the unit.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wound up finding an A6000 on KEH so I picked one up along with a 35 1.8 OSS and the pancake 20mm. After thinking about it a bit I decided that it'd be the best option since it's very interesting to me as a stills camera and it doesn't give up that much over the D5300 on the video end. Once the A7s hits the shelves I might see if I can sell my XF300 to help finance one.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

Chitin posted:

I don't know, I guess I disagree. I certainly prefer the video I've seen to Canon DSLR color, which makes skin tones weird and pink. I'm not saying it's an amazing image - I'm just not seeing what compares in the price range given the reliability/usability of the unit.

I think I will like it a lot better when filmconvert comes out with a profile for it, or when I see footage in the hands of a really skilled colorist. Right out of the camera you get those neon green trees and grass and ultra-sharp video-ish resolving power. The highlights clip pretty hard too. Just doesn't look cinematic to me.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wound up selling the GH3 partially for the same reason. I'm by no means a colorist so this is partially on me, but it always felt too contrasty and I could never get the quite how I wanted. And most of what I shoot is for some form of web delivery so I wouldn't get that much out of a super sharp image anyway.

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.
I asked this question in the gear thread and was directed here instead for your opinions:

Currently, I shoot videos using my D3200 with the provided 18-55mm lens, but the auto-focus sound is quite loud even with my external ME-1 mic used. I generally shoot fashion, make-up, and tutorial related things, so the ability to move and show fabrics, textures and colour is really needed; however, I generally shoot on my own so I don't have someone to manual focus the camera for me every time I make a move on screen. I don't move around a whole lot and the shot is generally of me sitting while talking. Is my best bet to move my mic further away, or is there a quieter lens with an autofocus capability? The idea was thrown out that I could get a boom mic and eliminate the sound interference that way, but I am woefully uneducated about all things related to the inner-workings of my camera and it's filming capabilities.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

squeee posted:

I asked this question in the gear thread and was directed here instead for your opinions:

Currently, I shoot videos using my D3200 with the provided 18-55mm lens, but the auto-focus sound is quite loud even with my external ME-1 mic used. I generally shoot fashion, make-up, and tutorial related things, so the ability to move and show fabrics, textures and colour is really needed; however, I generally shoot on my own so I don't have someone to manual focus the camera for me every time I make a move on screen. I don't move around a whole lot and the shot is generally of me sitting while talking. Is my best bet to move my mic further away, or is there a quieter lens with an autofocus capability? The idea was thrown out that I could get a boom mic and eliminate the sound interference that way, but I am woefully uneducated about all things related to the inner-workings of my camera and it's filming capabilities.

If you have a USM lens, that is a relatively quiet one, and move your microphone off the camera (so yeah new external mic) it should solve your issues. I dunno if Nikon has anything like STM lenses, but you shouldn't even need that much if you get a good enough mic setup (like a lav).

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

powderific posted:

The upside to the D5x00 is the hinged LCD screen. Unless you're doing a lot of floor-level dolly shots or holding it up on a pole for overhead shots, the D7x00 has much better ergonomics (buttons for everything instead of having to wade through menus for ISO and white balance and the like).

For proper filmmaking, I'd probably go with a D5x00, because that hinged LCD is surprisingly useful (I had a Canon P&S with that feature and loved it). For an all-around body, I'd get a D7x00 and save up for an external monitor. Case in point: I mostly do stills, saw a D5200 at WalMart on sale cheap, realized I could afford to get my own DSLR, researched it, ended up paying $100 more for a lightly used D7000, because the D5200 was just too clunky for my tastes, since I was used to pro bodies issued by my employer.

For $1000, I'd recommend the newest used D7x00 you can find, unless you really need the prehensile LCD. But rent one and try it out before buying, of course. Your personal tastes may differ. You may prefer going through a bunch of menus to change things that really should have a dedicated button.

(x=highest number you can afford)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the hinged screen was part of what I like. My main camera is a D800 and, while I love the look of its video and it's obviously spectacular for stills, using the LCD can be a bear in certain situations.

I wound up getting the A6000 despite the main lenses I like (35 1.8 and 50 1.8) having really long focus throw. It's the same sensor as the D5300 with, for some stupid reason, maybe a little less good of codec. But the A6000 has an EVF and is much more versatile for me personally since it'll make a good compact stills camera for non-work use. It also has a bit better ergonomics than the D5300 with the extra control wheel. Not to mention you can change aperture while you're shooting :v:. I also couldn't ever decide on a midrange IS lens for Nikon I liked while the A6000 has two extremely cheap and readily available options.

As a sidenote, the A6000's autofocus in video mode is kindof amazing. For certain shots it's better at pulling focus than I am.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
So, hints have been dropped that an EF to MTF speedbooster will be dropped June 3rd. I'm not 100% sure if it means I should start thinking about the GH4 again, though.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

IanTheM posted:

So, hints have been dropped that an EF to MTF speedbooster will be dropped June 3rd. I'm not 100% sure if it means I should start thinking about the GH4 again, though.

I found some of the first footage I've really liked from the gh4. Looks like you have to play around with the in-camera picture profiles quite a bit, and do some counter-intuitive stuff compared to what we always did with canon cameras: https://vimeo.com/95809517

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Eh, to me it still doesn't look as nice as a BMCC. The color and dynamic range just aren't there.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
Yeah I agree, just less videoish than I've seen previously. If it can do those colors with that sharpness in 1080p 60p, I would definitely use it a lot and take the DR hit.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

1st AD posted:

Eh, to me it still doesn't look as nice as a BMCC. The color and dynamic range just aren't there.

I really wonder how the A7s fares, and what it can really do with its 15 stops of DR & Slog. I'm not even that interested in its 4K (I can't support the workflow) but I wonder if it'll be good enough that I can't ignore it. Luckily I can lay low with the purchases at the moment, and I'm not that interested in anything from Blackmagic.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

1st AD posted:

Agreed, though I don't think they're really targeted at the same people.

I'll be interested to see if the 8-stop DR thing is sensor or codec or what. If the 10bit HDMI out doesn't have the same issues then, well, whack an Atomos on it and you're done. Still well below cost of something like the BMCC and with better ergonomics.

IanTheM posted:

Where are you getting these hints? Google's turning up nothing.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 3, 2014

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

XTimmy posted:

Where are you getting these hints? Google's turning up nothing.

EOSHD guy posted that it'd be announced soon, but apparently they're having delays again.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

I record a lot of shows in small theaters. My videos come out like this and this (10-20s will give you the idea).

Usually I use a Sony Handycam 15-35 feet from the stage and a Zoom H4N at the same distance (using its built-in mics). I also have a Canon 5DmkIII I rarely video with because I can't stay beside it to restart recording and I have a Rode Videomic I don't currently use because it didn't make a very noticeable difference over the 5D's built-in mic (I should really try it with my Handycam sometime). I record almost entirely in the two places shown in those videos, plus one more that's probably 175% their size.

Is there an excellent mic for small theater spaces, or can someone tell me what qualities I should look for in one? My Rode mic is a medium-length shotgun mic (it's this), will people on the edges of the stage start to be missed if I set it up 20 or more feet away?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Plug the zoom directly into the theatre's mixer with XLR.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Guy I know got a GH4 to play around on and tried out remapping the 96 FPS to 288 to see if it would work. It does not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wMqJbyVpME

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Slim Killington posted:

Guy I know got a GH4 to play around on and tried out remapping the 96 FPS to 288 to see if it would work. It does not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wMqJbyVpME

Why did he JUST use time remap on that? What about timewarp?

Also Twixtor would help, but GODDAMN Twixtor takes some serious cajoling to get good results. It's not easy and not the least bit intuitive to start really slowing things down (with masks and such).

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

1st AD posted:

Plug the zoom directly into the theatre's mixer with XLR.

Speaking of which, I saw the most ridiculous rig last night at a House of Blues, the operator had a matte box with a huge shotgun mic plugged directly into a 5D or similar camera and was using what looks like a kit lens (or maybe it was a 7D and he was using a 17-55, I dunno). Also he had a Zoom plugged into the side of the rig for some reason even though the mic wasn't plugged into it.

There was a press patch available right by the sound guy's booth. Like come on, plug your loving portable XLR doohickey into that. Also his rig was so big and unwieldy that he basically spent the whole night in one spot while his b-cam operator spent the whole night like right next to him with a similar setup. I was shooting photos and even moving around and stuff it was hard to get really good shots from in front of the elevated stage with a 70-200, can't imagine trying to do it without a tele.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

I'll be teaching beginner DSLR video for photographers at a college. They've asked me to scope out pricing for them.

We do have some LED lighting gear as well as some halogens, I know there's stuff like cheaper Yongnuo stuff but i'm wondering what the next steps are up from that.

1st AD recommended the Fiilex a while back but I forget which exactly model he was using. This looked awesome, and I might put it on the list.

Are there any good alternatives out there I haven't thought of?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It might be cheaper to get tungsten fixtures for teaching. I have two Fiilex P360's and they're great, but a bit weak if you want to use large-ish diffusion or a softbox. Bare or with the fresnel accessory they're bright enough for anything I do and I like the quality of the light.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

powderific posted:

It might be cheaper to get tungsten fixtures for teaching. I have two Fiilex P360's and they're great, but a bit weak if you want to use large-ish diffusion or a softbox. Bare or with the fresnel accessory they're bright enough for anything I do and I like the quality of the light.
Ah, thanks-this helps!

I personally use cfl's but I always thought tungsten generated heaps of heat and were more breakable than cfl?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I usually rent the 3 light Fiilex kit with 2 P360s, it's super expensive but I think it's roughly an equivalent to some of the lower end Lowell kits in terms of output.

I use photo modifiers with them, so beauty dishes and really long strip softboxes. Haven't noticed problems with light output; you have to treat these as portable location lighting kits and not try to light huge scenes with them.

Action Andy
Feb 5, 2007

Out From Animals
Can anyone with more experience with the GH4 give me some advice?

I'm worried that there's something wrong with my GH4.

I have read about faulty sensors causing noise. is this just what the camera's like? I just can't seem to get the nice clean images that I keep seeing everywhere

that's a quick screen shot from a 4k video when I was buzzing around my kitchen before. should it really have that much noise?

(that's at iso 200 by the way! and set up as recommended after reading a LOT of different forums.) this is the cleanest I can get it. (look at the shadow area on the right hand side, urgh)

My settings are : cinelike d : contrast -5, saturation -5, nr -5, saturation -2, hue 0.
highlight/shadow curve flat.
i.Dynamic and iResolution both off.
master pedestal at zero
luminance 16-235

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I'm not seeing a problem? Try going up a stop in exposure and pulling it down a stop in post and compare the difference.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
That's a pretty normal image, apart from being totally flat. If you're talking about demo footage you've seen on the GH4, yours doesn't look like that because you're not using an $18,000 lens on it.

Action Andy
Feb 5, 2007

Out From Animals

^ really, this is a normal amount of noise when shooting 4K at 200iso? (this is before any post work) If so I'm very disappointed with the camera.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I'll buy it from you.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Action Andy posted:

Can anyone with more experience with the GH4 give me some advice?

I'm worried that there's something wrong with my GH4.

I have read about faulty sensors causing noise. is this just what the camera's like? I just can't seem to get the nice clean images that I keep seeing everywhere

that's a quick screen shot from a 4k video when I was buzzing around my kitchen before. should it really have that much noise?

(that's at iso 200 by the way! and set up as recommended after reading a LOT of different forums.) this is the cleanest I can get it. (look at the shadow area on the right hand side, urgh)

My settings are : cinelike d : contrast -5, saturation -5, nr -5, saturation -2, hue 0.
highlight/shadow curve flat.
i.Dynamic and iResolution both off.
master pedestal at zero
luminance 16-235

Those super low contrast/flat picture profiles are always noisier in the shadows than other settings, but you can crush the noise in colour correction.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Action Andy posted:

^ really, this is a normal amount of noise when shooting 4K at 200iso? (this is before any post work) If so I'm very disappointed with the camera.

Yes, especially in a scene that's not lit by anything but practical elements already on set.

If I shot that same scene on a RED Epic it wouldn't look much better other than less muddiness due to the low bitrate.

Also, if you read the thread you would've known that a lot of us weren't impressed with the GH4's image (though you're being awfully pixel-peepy). So you have no one to blame but yourself :colbert:

1st AD fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 28, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Crosspostin' from the cinematography thread -

B&H has a deal on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera - $500 :aaa:

Yeah I bought one.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've got some filming to do at nightclubs for the local Drum n Bass nights. I was considering getting a BMPCC for ease of use but i'm not against using a DSLR... Talk me out of the DSLR idea...

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

At this point you're never going to receive a Blqckmagic Pocket Camera, they're projected to be 4-6 weeks back ordered.

Also lol and anyone getting a Blackmagic anything for ease of use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's easier than trying to use a DSLR video rig with Magic Lantern and possible massive glide cam.

it's size makes it easier. I can stealth it with minor bolts on in a crowded club.
I like the idea of both ways, i already use a GoPro, for static DJ booth stuff

• Locked thread