Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Does anybody have any experience with the Syrp Magic Carpet slider? It's waaaaay smoother than the Kessler we used to use, but the metal around the mounting point bends so easily that the move turns into an arch and it's super off-level on either end. I was thinking of mounting a thicker chunk of metal to the bottom, and wondered if anyone had any better ideas. I'd prefer not to use two tripods since I have to be moving around and getting a variety of shots really quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you don't need the glide cam on the BMPCC I don't see why you'd need it on the DSLR?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Rocksicles posted:

It's easier than trying to use a DSLR video rig with Magic Lantern and possible massive glide cam.

it's size makes it easier. I can stealth it with minor bolts on in a crowded club.
I like the idea of both ways, i already use a GoPro, for static DJ booth stuff

The size might make it easier, but the menu/UI for sure don't especially since this one doesn't have a touch screen like the other Blackmagic cameras do.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
With the other flavors of prores and the easing of the fixed pattern noise the 4k is starting to look a lot more attractive. I can't help but think we'll see a version 2 of the camera next NAB though. Probably not smart to buy either way.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Unless they can give me that extra stop of DR back I see no reason to spring for any of their 4k models.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Well, they did just graciously add a couple of the features that every digital camera ever released has always had, like a drive remaining indicator.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Is there a good mac app for testing read/write speeds of cf cards? Trying to diagnose a card.

I swear I saw one on fstoppers but can't seem to google-fu my way to it.

jabber jacket
Jul 15, 2004

the_lion posted:

Is there a good mac app for testing read/write speeds of cf cards? Trying to diagnose a card.

I swear I saw one on fstoppers but can't seem to google-fu my way to it.

I've never used it myself but I've seen the Blackmagic Disk Speed Test mentioned before

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Blackmagic has a tool that can test i/o of any drive, I believe. Might even be in the App Store, but I'm pretty sure it comes bundled with Resolve.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

That looks like one! Thanks guys.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Anybody play with Sony's new little 4K camcorder? Thinking of picking one up to run around with for personal stuff. Packing around a DSLR is almost as bad as bringing one of our bigger cameras.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
I haven't touched it but from what I read it's supposed to have a really nice image. Just watch the rolling shutter.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Did about 4 hours of shooting with the Blackmagic Pocket. It's not bad. Rolling shutter appears to be non-existent, even better than the BMCC in comparison, controls are lovely without the touchscreen but otherwise it functions just like the BMCC. Used the Speedbooster with Nikon primes.

I haven't messed around with raw shooting since I only have 2 64gb Sandisk 95mb/s cards and shot solo, but ProRes on this is just as good as it is on the big brother BMCC. I even did the whole shoot in ProRes LT and the footage seems to hold up well with like 5 nodes in Resolve.

I didn't notice any FPN, black spots, or hot pixels (but perhaps those come later).

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bought an A7s last week and did a shoot at the beginning of this week. So far I really like it. The rolling shutter isn't as much of an issue as I'd worried, especially since the crop mode looks great and cuts it down significantly. Shooting in S-Log 2 is really weird without any kind of display LUT available. For the best look once I'm in post I have to shoot everything so it looks very overexposed compared to what I'm used to. Thanks to the 3200 native ISO I desperately need a better setup for ND filters as well—in bright daylight I can't get variable ND's dark enough without getting some artifacts.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a compact mattebox or similar to make dealing with ND's a little easier? I suppose I'd need rails too since most of my lenses wouldn't work with a clamp on mattebox.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I dunno, some pieces of welders' glass can filter out 12 stops so you might try that. I think most of them are like 4x5 inches though, so you might have to figure out a DIY way of getting them into your filter tray.

Also you're gonna have to deal with color shifts because iirc there's no way to filter out that much light without massive infrared pollution.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the issue I'm having might be more because of the polarization on variable ND's—I looked through some of the footage and my big issue is dark spots on the sky and and on the grass where there's reflection, so a 2.1 IRND might wind up being fine. I also noticed that lee as a 3.0 ND filter.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I have a Formatt Hitech 10 stop filter, as soon as I get the right filter tray for it (accidentally got a 3.3x3.3 instead of 4x4) I'll put it's through it's paces - it's way cheaper than the Lee one. Hell, their 3.0IRND is cheaper than the Lee Big Stopper.

While a 2.1 IRND would absolutely be great in most situations, I'd be wary about using it to shoot in bright daylight though since my current variable ND at 10 stops was barely enough to get 2.8 on a Blackmagic Pocket/Speedbooster at ISO 800. At ISO 3200 you'd have to stop down more (though I guess that's mitigated by the larger image area).

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Got a couple of friends using lighter cameras (micro 4/3rds) and a reallybasic camera cage. This one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DIWY558?pc_redir=1409140357&robot_redir=1

They're looking to weigh it down more, trying to find some cheap counter weights on eBay/google but not finding any.

Mostly they're not using follow focus or audio gear so they probably just need a little extra weight.

Any advice? (Besides the obvious "invest in a shoulder or two handed rig")

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Um, I guess they could see if they can find the weights used in the Glidecam systems. Or buy someone's spares.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Dumbells and gaffers tape

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Those ankle weights from the 80s. Every thrift shop has them for a dollar.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Constellation I posted:

Um, I guess they could see if they can find the weights used in the Glidecam systems. Or buy someone's spares.

Wild EEPROM posted:

Dumbells and gaffers tape

Chitin posted:

Those ankle weights from the 80s. Every thrift shop has them for a dollar.

Great ideas I hadn't considered. Thanks a heap!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I don't know much about video, but I'm interested in trying it out. I have the option to get a Sennheiser MKE 400 hotshoe mic for a really great price, would it be a decent starter mic? It goes on a Canon 6D for what it's worth.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I've never used one, but reviews seem to indicate that it's comparable to the Rode VideoMic Pro. In that case, if it's a good price then go for it.

The Rode mic seems to be the standard, but I have my own issues with it. The rubber anti-vibration mounts on it are a piece of poo poo and always slip off. You get accustomed to putting it back on though. But yeah, general build quality of it feels super cheap and pretty overpriced. But hey, what isn't with video poo poo.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Is there a GoPro GCT somewhere? I'm wondering what early adopters think of the Hero 4. It's cool that it finally does a useful framerate at 4K, but its footage never meshes well enough for me to accept using it for non-hobby means. Night mode looks cool, but not enough to run out and allocate capital to getting all new GoPros.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
We actually were using our Hero 3+ on a Phantom 2 for some aerial stuff to be used as Day For Night. Actually worked quite well. So we decided to try to go out today and, using some doubles, get some running footage in the woods. We were under a tree canopy so we were going to blend this shot (via blur/ramp) with a similar shot that flies out of the tree canopy to see a vast expanse (which we already have).

We probably got about 50 loving shots all intertwined throughout the forest without nary an incident...until our very last shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=085HatSjyjc

There was some sort of delay and then the fucker just started to fly up. I throttled down almost immediately when I figured something was wrong, but there was zero time to react. Fell about 30 feet or so. Took a hard hit to a hard forest floor. Broke a prop, bent one of the prop arms (enough to break the plastic a bit, but not enough for the prop to touch the body), bent the poo poo out of the H3-3D gimble and some other damage. Switched out the prop, did a bit of minor surgery to pop some plastic back in, and that fucker was up and running again. Those Phantoms and GoPros can take some serious hits.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

Slim Killington posted:

Is there a GoPro GCT somewhere? I'm wondering what early adopters think of the Hero 4. It's cool that it finally does a useful framerate at 4K, but its footage never meshes well enough for me to accept using it for non-hobby means. Night mode looks cool, but not enough to run out and allocate capital to getting all new GoPros.

If you de-fisheye it properly in after effects and slap on some neat video I think it can be cut with much more expensive cameras. Check the shot at the end of my eco doc trailer: https://vimeo.com/104297159

Filmconvert also helped here to match it with the BMCC and get rid of the neon go pro stock colors.

BeavisNuke fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 8, 2014

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

BonoMan posted:

We actually were using our Hero 3+ on a Phantom 2 for some aerial stuff to be used as Day For Night. Actually worked quite well. So we decided to try to go out today and, using some doubles, get some running footage in the woods. We were under a tree canopy so we were going to blend this shot (via blur/ramp) with a similar shot that flies out of the tree canopy to see a vast expanse (which we already have).

We probably got about 50 loving shots all intertwined throughout the forest without nary an incident...until our very last shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=085HatSjyjc

There was some sort of delay and then the fucker just started to fly up. I throttled down almost immediately when I figured something was wrong, but there was zero time to react. Fell about 30 feet or so. Took a hard hit to a hard forest floor. Broke a prop, bent one of the prop arms (enough to break the plastic a bit, but not enough for the prop to touch the body), bent the poo poo out of the H3-3D gimble and some other damage. Switched out the prop, did a bit of minor surgery to pop some plastic back in, and that fucker was up and running again. Those Phantoms and GoPros can take some serious hits.

I've been consistently impressed at how durable the Phantom is. We were flying two of them last week for the show I've been working on, and we nearly lost them shooting a guy chopping down a tree. I managed to get mine out of the way and barely catch the shot of the tree hitting the ground ... and the DP running the company Phantom into a tree and flopping down 30 feet into the dirt. Lost the last ten seconds of the shot, but it flies as well as it ever has.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I was given a GoPro3+ Black a couple of weeks ago and I've been really enjoying messing around with it. I'm not going to be making any serious videos, just a bunch of out-having-fun kinds of things that the GoPro seems perfect for. I've also got a Pentax K-5 that can make videos, though obviously nothing to compare quality-wise with the top-level stuff people are using around here. I'm hoping to put together some short videos - youtube stuff - mixing both those cameras, stills, video, and time-lapse.

I don't see a thread for rank amateurs like myself - this thread is full of high-end DSLRs and (to me) exotic camera rigs that are WAAAY outside my budget, and the Film & Video Post-Prod thread in CC is similarly packed with professionals. Would anyone object if I start a messing-around-in-video thread so I have a place to rant about my frustrations with various free video-editing software and the battery life issues absent-minded folk like me always seem to have?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
While I suppose an amateur video thread could be worthwhile, none of the video threads get very frequent posts as is, and there are plenty of amateurs and cheap gear havers already posting.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

ExecuDork posted:

I was given a GoPro3+ Black a couple of weeks ago and I've been really enjoying messing around with it. I'm not going to be making any serious videos, just a bunch of out-having-fun kinds of things that the GoPro seems perfect for. I've also got a Pentax K-5 that can make videos, though obviously nothing to compare quality-wise with the top-level stuff people are using around here. I'm hoping to put together some short videos - youtube stuff - mixing both those cameras, stills, video, and time-lapse.

I don't see a thread for rank amateurs like myself - this thread is full of high-end DSLRs and (to me) exotic camera rigs that are WAAAY outside my budget, and the Film & Video Post-Prod thread in CC is similarly packed with professionals. Would anyone object if I start a messing-around-in-video thread so I have a place to rant about my frustrations with various free video-editing software and the battery life issues absent-minded folk like me always seem to have?

I do not see why it would bother anyone. Check out DaVinci Resolve Lite.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
It would be cool to hear from people who use them a lot more than I do. We have our Hero 3s and they're great for some stuff, worthless for others, but we rarely use them unless it's car or boat related. Trip reports from owners of the new one would be cool before we run out and get new ones.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I kinda lurk this thread, I've got a Hero3 Black I shot some footage with this summer (motorcycle trip in Japan). Most of it's pretty boring, actually. Need to watch some iMove tutorials so I can edit stuff together.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I need a setup for recording news clips, as cheap as possible without being bad, and it needs a mic input. I love my X-T1 for still but the 15 minute limit on video and the 2.5mm jack is stupid as hell. I love my NEX5N for video but it doesn't have external mic input. What's my best solution here? I don't mind grabbing a new camera if it isn't expensive. Say $300-500.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Geektox posted:

I need a setup for recording news clips, as cheap as possible without being bad, and it needs a mic input. I love my X-T1 for still but the 15 minute limit on video and the 2.5mm jack is stupid as hell. I love my NEX5N for video but it doesn't have external mic input. What's my best solution here? I don't mind grabbing a new camera if it isn't expensive. Say $300-500.

The new smartlav+ by rode is a good choice-plugs into your iphone/tablet and the audio is quite good. We use these at my work.

Assuming you use Premiere, you can physically clap or use a clapper board and that will help you sync the smartlav audio with the captured audio from the camera. Then you just turn off the cruddy in camera audio.

These work great for locations like big rooms that echo-just need to hide the mic on your subject.

Around $60-90.

There's heaps of ways to hide them too. Just make sure you use a good app on your device that records wav or uncompressed.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I use 2.5mm to XLR adapters pretty often with good results, so I wouldn't worry if that's the only mic input on the camera. Having separate headphone and microphone jacks so you can monitor what you're recording is kind of important, though. Nikon DSLRs have those, Canons don't and I haven't really kept up with the mirrorless world so I'd check to see if whatever camera system you're looking at can manage.

If you end up looking at the Rode Videomic Pro, I'd recommend Audio Technica's AT-897 instead. The audio's a bit better and the build quality is far more solid for the same price. The down side is that there's no on/off switch, so you'll have to screw it open and insert/remove a battery every time you use it without phantom power.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Whoa, I didn't know anything about audio syncing, that's awesome and makes my life infinitely easier. I have multiple little audio recorders for interviews and they all have mic/headphone jacks so I'll use that and I'll look into getting the AT mic as well.

There's audio syncing stuff in Final Cut too right? I use both.

Sorry for all the noob questions

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Don't apologize for noob questions, or I'll have to, too.

What's half-decent free software that will let me make a time-lapse out of a set of images I exported from LightRoom? I want to run it at around 15 frames per second. Windows Movie Maker won't let me control the framerate so it makes this ridiculous 6-seconds-per-image mess, and GoPro Studio looks at my images of the lunar eclipse and decides they're empty black nothingness.

I'm downloading VirtualDub right now but if there are any other options worth exploring I'd love to hear about them.

EDIT: VirtualDub appears to be unable to import .jpg to make a timelapse. Oh well.

EDIT2: What's a non-linear editor and why would you want to use one?

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 19, 2014

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Geektox posted:

Whoa, I didn't know anything about audio syncing, that's awesome and makes my life infinitely easier. I have multiple little audio recorders for interviews and they all have mic/headphone jacks so I'll use that and I'll look into getting the AT mic as well.

There's audio syncing stuff in Final Cut too right? I use both.

Sorry for all the noob questions

If there's not, you can get Pluraleyes. Best thing is that it syncs multiple clips in the background. I think it takes a while though but does a pretty good job.

We have it but I make short videos so Premiere is my way of doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Geektox posted:

You could do a Tascam DR-60. XLR and quarter inputs, fits under your camera, and has line out to whatever your camera takes in addition to a headphone output. Last I looked they were hovering around 200 but I think they just announced a new model so that might have come down.

• Locked thread