Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

1st AD posted:

If you're talking about changing ISO in the raw tab, that was always the first correction before anything else is applied like LUTs, curves, etc.

I'm not sure but the way I understand it is where before you were just adjusting gain you can now overwrite the metadeta itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
No, the raw tab never worked like that. Adjusting the "gain" was always handled in the normal color controls.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
Would this be a bad time to mention how much I love the dual record feature of the C100 MII? It's features like this that get overlooked by people comparing cameras on spec sheets alone.

Here's a wedding I shot with it two weeks ago: https://vimeo.com/124542801

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Thoogsby posted:

DJI is showing off a new trimmed down Ronin model at NAB that looks to be geared towards DSLRs and Blackmagic cameras.

https://vimeo.com/124775834

This is up on B&H to pre-order for $1,399 which is a pretty huge cut from the regular Ronin

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I have a question for you guys. I want to set up an external battery connected to a dummy battery but I'm worried about breaking things.

Camera: Nikon D5300
Standard Battery: Rated at 7.2 volts
Dummy Battery: Generic, designed to connect to AC adapter which puts out 9 volts.
External Battery: Puts out 9 Volts.

Would this dummy + external battery be safe for the camera? I have no idea how electricity works other than its made from dinosaurs. It is magic to me.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Is it just me or does the footage from this short film showcasing the new Ronin M look not stabilized and kind of bouncy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zx7JCnx83I

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn't think it looked very good either.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I snapped up a Shogun at a reasonable discount for use with my a7S.

Now that my lenses, camera, and recorder are taken care of, do I need anything else to round my setup out? Are there SSDs I should get or avoid for use with the Shogun? I've heard that the HDMI port on the a7S is flimsy, and that there's some port extender that helps with this, but that doesn't sound essential.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Now that my lenses, camera, and recorder are taken care of, do I need anything else to round my setup out? Are there SSDs I should get or avoid for use with the Shogun? I've heard that the HDMI port on the a7S is flimsy, and that there's some port extender that helps with this, but that doesn't sound essential.

Do you have a cage to mount the shogun? A monitor that large on the tiny a7s body isn't exactly user friendly.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

To the contrary that port protector is a goddamn life saver, and it should have come with your a7s. HDMI ANYTHING is a godawful standard for production equipment as the connectors just aren't as durable as industry spec stuff like BNC. Without a protector you WILL end up bending the cable to breaking point within a few days. Before that you will loose essential takes because one end of the cable got jiggled and knocked out the signal to the Shogun.
I second the above post: Get a cage and a magic arm, a good one, the Movcam cage for the a7s is amazing if a little fiddly to get on and F&V make halfway decent magic arms, though you may want a Noga brand one as they are more lasting. The hotshoe on the a7s is shoddy as gently caress as it's smaller than the standard Nikon/Canon one and has sensitive contacts on the far end. I had a camera op knock my $2000 focusing monitor onto concrete because we couldn't get the magic arm to sit right in the hotshoe.

DSLR format cameras are the worst thing to try and rig for proper production..

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also of note is that the Shogun is built like a cheap piece of poo poo. We have one and already had to return it because it's built with really cheap plastics and several buttons stopped working pretty quickly.

I was actually surprised at how cheaply it was built for the price. So, treat it with a bit of extra care.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Panasonic announced the GH7 yesterday. Looks like a stripped down GH4 but can still do 4k internally.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
G7, not to be a pedant. Interesting camera. I'm waiting to hear about bit rates and what comes out of the HDMI port.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bitrates: 100 for 4k, 28 for 1080 60p. Not sure on HDMI yet.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
I really hope they bring V-Log to this and the GH4. Otherwise I think I'd go for the LX100 for that built-in lens.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Got a question about a budget dslr recording setup for a small time videogame company. We've had some success with youtube videos in the past couple of years and management is willing to throw some money towards improving the quality of our recordings. Our previous videos were guerilla location shoots shot with a Canon Rebel t1 with the kit lens and a tripod. The camera's OK for what we need to do so I think the 300-500 budget would be better put towards lenses/camera steadying rig/off-camera audio recording.

This is roughly what we're trying to do at E3 this year, interviews, over the shoulder shooting and getting B-roll from the show floor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryv23OEak9U

If you folks could recommend some basic beginner gear that we might need to get started it'd be a huge help!

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Got a question about a budget dslr recording setup for a small time videogame company. We've had some success with youtube videos in the past couple of years and management is willing to throw some money towards improving the quality of our recordings. Our previous videos were guerilla location shoots shot with a Canon Rebel t1 with the kit lens and a tripod. The camera's OK for what we need to do so I think the 300-500 budget would be better put towards lenses/camera steadying rig/off-camera audio recording.

This is roughly what we're trying to do at E3 this year, interviews, over the shoulder shooting and getting B-roll from the show floor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryv23OEak9U

If you folks could recommend some basic beginner gear that we might need to get started it'd be a huge help!

I would look at a fluid-head video monopod and a Rode SmartLav+ and Videomic Go for audio. Maybe a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 if you want to upgrade the lens.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For something with on the fly interviews like that I'd want to have a hand mic on hand, and if I had to choose between that and a lav, I'd choose the hand mic. With quick interviews like that it's easier than trying to wire people up with lavs. I've used a Shure SM63L and JuicedLink in similar situations with good results. The mic input on my camera is good though—don't know what its like on the T1 so you might need a recorder instead of XLR interface.

Fluid head monopods are great for that kind of work too.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll start looking at monopods.

Right now, looking at buying these to get started:

Lens: New EF-S 24mm 2.8
Audio: Since there's no built in audio in jack, looking to use a Zoom H1 for a handheld interview mic
Monopod (any recommendation for budget ones?)

We also have a second-hand stabilizer like this

as well as a small Audio Technica lav mic that we can plug into the Zoom.

Bottled Water
Aug 22, 2008

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

We also have a second-hand stabilizer like this

If you're looking for stable video while moving, you're better off getting a shoulder rig. Glidecams (or whatever that is in the picture) give pretty good results, but they're can be difficult to learn and will tire you out very quickly.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

I've been looking at shoulder rigs myself, for use with a Sony a6000. Before I select one of these cheapo knockoffs that's floating around Amazon, I wanted to ask if anyone has a recommendation.

The camera is light, and I'm just messing around for fun, so I know I don't need anything fancy, but it can be hard to tell if I'm looking at something that's just basic and affordable or something that's going to snap in half and drop my camera down a storm drain.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Trip report from E3. The Zoom recorder worked pretty well to get audio in the convention center/show floor, and the monopod performed perfectly for what we needed to do. It was also a good opportunity to see what other people were shooting with, lots of folks with DSLRs and Canon camcorders with monopods/shoulder rigs. It felt more like a camera expo at times with all of the gear on display. So far the Rebel T3 seems to be our biggest achilies heel. It would be great to get an affordable canon DSLR body with an audio in jack, some way to zoom the liveview while recording for pinpoint focusing. Then again without getting into fancier lenses we probably could get by with a Vixia R600 or something like that for future videos

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Trip report from E3. The Zoom recorder worked pretty well to get audio in the convention center/show floor, and the monopod performed perfectly for what we needed to do. It was also a good opportunity to see what other people were shooting with, lots of folks with DSLRs and Canon camcorders with monopods/shoulder rigs. It felt more like a camera expo at times with all of the gear on display. So far the Rebel T3 seems to be our biggest achilies heel. It would be great to get an affordable canon DSLR body with an audio in jack, some way to zoom the liveview while recording for pinpoint focusing. Then again without getting into fancier lenses we probably could get by with a Vixia R600 or something like that for future videos

You don't want to try to zoom the liveview while recording for focusing. You want an external monitor that offers focus peaking. Seriously it's an essential piece of kit. poo poo can look so sharp on those little DSLR screens and just not be when you get it in post... it's a nightmare. Having a 5" or more screen attached gives you more comfortable viewing options, a bigger view (which is almost always better) and tons of little options like focus peaking and other stuff that helps along the way.

Check out SmallHD or Atomos.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Magic Lantern will also hack in focus peaking.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
What about Glidecam? Good? Bad? Better options?

Mostly be using it for hobbyist stuff and a 70D. Don't really need one but have been watching videos and I like the results.

Three Pixel
Jun 13, 2003

In space no one can hear your anime stare downs.
I have a Glidecam I never really used. A HD-2000 model from about 3 years ago. I'm looking to sell it since I bought a used Ronin a few weeks back. If you're interested toss me a PM.

My opinion of the Glidecam is that I found it cumbersome to balance and so I never really put the time into using it and learning it.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
The Glidecam HD-4000 is pretty good, it's wayyy easier to use than the Steadicam Merlin, at least from my experience. Those were the options at the time for about the same price range. Balancing it isn't too bad if you use a lightstand/C-stand. A quick release plate is essential though since the Glidecam's "plate" system is just dumb. My main issue with it is that you really gotta work on your arms 'cause that poo poo gets heavy without a vest. For hobbyist stuff, I'd suggest getting the HD2000 for best bang for your buck. For anything beyond that, gimbal systems are also coming down in price, so it may be better to invest in those.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like the blackbird thing too. Because of where the handle is I thought it was a little easier to hold. The bar on the bottom can make it a little extra awkward to move with though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Constellation I posted:

The Glidecam HD-4000 is pretty good, it's wayyy easier to use than the Steadicam Merlin, at least from my experience. Those were the options at the time for about the same price range. Balancing it isn't too bad if you use a lightstand/C-stand. A quick release plate is essential though since the Glidecam's "plate" system is just dumb. My main issue with it is that you really gotta work on your arms 'cause that poo poo gets heavy without a vest. For hobbyist stuff, I'd suggest getting the HD2000 for best bang for your buck. For anything beyond that, gimbal systems are also coming down in price, so it may be better to invest in those.

I think that was the biggest surprise for me way back when I used a Glidecam system. Even in my healthiest form I was surprised how tired my arms got so quickly!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Curls and deadlifts every day, then you can rock the vest and stabilizing arm all day.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

So, I am building my own kit for video purposes etc. My kit so far is Canon 70D with Grip, Tamron 17-50, 17-135STM, 70-300 Tamron VC, and 60mm Tamron Macro. I want to be able to make videos when I go abroad.

Things I know I need: Shotgun mic, Steadicam apparatus, wireless lav (potentially) but it stops there. I'm kind of new to the dslr game in terms of video. What should I be looking for in terms of completing this thing? The budget really isn't so much the issue as this is a large work in progress. I do video work at the job I am at now and they use a Panasonic P2HD for all of their stuff despite my desperate attempts to tell them to switch to DSLR. For a professional get up, what would be preferred?

The STM is great with the video and the AF noise.

Ideally, I'd love to get a Mark III or something and go with full frame, but that's a long ways away.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

What kind of videos are you making?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Thoogsby posted:

What kind of videos are you making?

For my job?

Military Public Affairs. I do videos on events the Army does and all that poo poo. Sometimes boring like change of commands, but sometimes cool. Like I just got back from Australia, was hard work, fun and interesting.

For my kit, it'd be more of a mockumentary type stuff with my family. More like something I can do to go about with my family, chronicle the trips, milestones, etc. Not to mention having a ready to go kit just incase I decide I want to try and do a freelancing thing like a wedding video or something one of my friends wants. I've been labeled the 'de-facto' wedding dude in my family, so I get some requests already

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Any advice on buying XLR cables?
Obviously, you want a balanced cable and don't buy a cheap ebay cable right?

(Long story short, we need just a short cable for running from a Zoom h6 to a Rode NTG3 for the place I work. We're mostly using Zoom H1's and Lavs for most stuff).

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
They're pretty much all the same. If you are doing field work then I suppose get something thats a little more durable?

I've got this blue parrot one or something that was thrown in for free because the guy at Guitar Center was desperate for a sale. I've taken it out on quite a few shoots and its held up.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

https://www.monoprice.com

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

iSheep posted:

They're pretty much all the same. If you are doing field work then I suppose get something thats a little more durable?

I've got this blue parrot one or something that was thrown in for free because the guy at Guitar Center was desperate for a sale. I've taken it out on quite a few shoots and its held up.

Rad, thanks guys!

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
So I edit videos in my spare time, usually with footage given to me by other people. I'm interested in doing it as a side job instead of just as a hobby, and I figure it's a lot easier to get one's self hired if you also shoot the footage. I want to do DSLR video so I can get good still photos too. How much am I looking at for the basics here? What are the real essentials?

Tripod or shoulder rig, shotgun mic, camera, a few lenses, SSD, flash?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what your market is like but where I'm at good editors are harder to find than shooters and IDGAF if the editor I hire can shoot too. Of the three main editors I hire only one of them shoots regularly too and it doesn't make him any more attractive than the other two. Not saying it doesn't make sense in your situation, but I wouldn't discount getting hired just to edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

So I edit videos in my spare time, usually with footage given to me by other people. I'm interested in doing it as a side job instead of just as a hobby, and I figure it's a lot easier to get one's self hired if you also shoot the footage. I want to do DSLR video so I can get good still photos too. How much am I looking at for the basics here? What are the real essentials?

Tripod or shoulder rig, shotgun mic, camera, a few lenses, SSD, flash?

It really comes down to what you're filming and what kind of results you want. Lavalier mics are handy for getting clean voice recordings when you're filming in an environment with noise or an echo, and most freelancer networks require you to use one, so that's probably worth looking into. Even if you like doing a lot of shoulder rig/handheld/gimbal work, you're probably going to run into situations where you want a locked down shot, so I would definitely get a tripod sturdy enough to keep your shot from shaking. Fluid heads are nice, and you can probably find one suitable for a DSLR on eBay for around $300, but you can get by without one for interview/testimonial/talking head type shots. Lighting makes a big difference, and there are a bunch of guides for DIY lighting setups around the internet, but it's hard to go wrong with something like a small Lowel Tota kit (I found a two-light set on Craigslist several years back for $150, and it's enough for most of the one-man-band videography stuff I do).

Hopefully some of that was helpful. If you can elaborate a bit more on what you want to film and link to some footage that looks like what you're hoping to come away with, I can offer more advice.

• Locked thread