Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 handles footage off my 5dmkII in real time. This is a pretty serious step forward for editing on the PC. I was able to do this in Pinnacle before, but it wasn't nearly as fast as this. I'm not even using a CUDA video card to really take advantage of the Mercury Engine hardware acceleration.

Now if I can only get around to shooting something besides my parrot in his cage...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

orange lime posted:

:aaa:

I have a CUDA card. I must get CS5.

You can get a 30 day trial of it (or any other CS5 app) from Adobe's website.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's a typical focal length commonly used in movies? I'm going to try my new T2i tomorrow and want to take only one lens with me, to not end up being a pack mule (have to carry lots of other things). I kinda want to use my 30mm Sigma, but with 50mm effective, I feel like I might gimp myself. I'm going to film mountain bikes jumping off various constructions.

Do you have the 17-55mm kit lens? If you're filming during the day and don't need really fast glass, I'd just take that.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

TheLastManStanding posted:

The 7D isn't superior to the T2i in low light and it isn't leagues better. The 7D is a more professional camera that offers many advantages over T2i, but their picture quality is indistinguishable from each other.

I believe the 7d is the only Canon DSLR that can output 1080p signal via HDMI while recording. The T2i and 5Dmk2 can output at 1080p for viewfinding, but as soon as you hit the record button, the screen goes blank for a second then comes back on in standard definition. At least I'm pretty sure that's the case (my 7" Lilliput monitor hasn't arrived yet).

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

a foolish pianist posted:

I've been shooting videos with my DSLR and a Sigma 8-16 while hiking peaks in Colorado:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuLJnHE9pf4

The problems with shooting like this are at least two-fold. One, getting stability and smooth video is tough without some kind of stabilizer, and two, carrying heavy things up 14,000 ft mountains really, really sucks. Anyone out there have solutions for strenuous outdoor activities and video?

I've had a bit more success shooting video from a flatwater kayak, but there, the problems (worrying about dropping 1200 dollars worth of equipment in the water) is different, and the stabilization isn't quite so problematic.

I imagine a monopod would only add a few ounces to your gear and give you some much improved stability.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

1st AD posted:

The Scarlet just absolutely pisses all over the Canon. It's a couple thousand cheaper and shoots 4k RAW.

Are we sure we're comparing apples to apples here? I think the price quoted for the Scarlet was just for the brain. How much are we talking before you have a usable camera (monitor, audio, storage, etc)?

I agree that the specs on the Scarlet are vastly superior.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Cheap Canon DSLRs are getting HDR video:

http://www.gizmag.com/magic-lantern-hdr-video-canon-550d-600d-60d/20909/

I'm continuously impressed by the work A1ex and the rest of the Magic Lantern team put in to this device.

Jalumibnkrayal fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 21, 2011

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:staredog:

loving wow.

Wait, so I don't know if I understand the post-production thing they're talking about. When you take a video in HDR mode, will it write the HDR video to the memory card? Or will it write two separate videos, one light and one dark, so that you can do it yourself in video editing software?

The camera will record one video, but alternate ISO every frame. Then in post you feed that file through some programs that (I think) do the interpolation stuff for you and spit back out the finished video. But this would mean that it's automatically selecting which parts of which stream you want in the finished product.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

1st AD posted:

I'm not really sold on the idea, especially since it sounds like you're limited to 720p mode (which moires like crazy). BUT it's a cool toy that I'll play with once they update ML.

The video is not 720p/60 and split into two 30fps streams.

It's 1080p/25 and split into two 12.5fps streams with magical frame interpolation to fake the missing frames. How well does it fake it? No idea.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

1st AD posted:

Here's a test I did using the HDR feature in Magic Lantern:

https://vimeo.com/34322803

This is using the interpolation workflow that was included - maybe another workflow would produce better results, but even at 60p it's pretty clear that motion rendition is awful. It's too bad, because you can get a great image out of this workflow - I shot this using just a bare 105w CFL bulb and a shoe-mounted video light and once I graded the scene it just immediately made me go, "drat."

Yeah I'm hoping that software/script tweaks might get us smoother interpolation. Nice effect at the end regardless. :)

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Peacebone posted:

I installed the latest Magic Lantern for the first time on my T3i, and while I'm pretty sure it's installed the only thing that worries me is that the magic lantern logo doesn't pop up when I turn on my camera. However, all the different settings and configurations as well as the firmware saying it's installed are there. Should I be worried that I messed up?

No I think you're fine.

quote:

Also, any guide to what settings you should be using / changing with Magic Lantern?

You can waste a whole lot of time messing with the bitrate option, trying to push your memory card as fast as possible. It's really not clear if you gain anything practical by increasing the bitrate beyond the 1.0x standard.

The "natural" Canon ISOs (160/320/640/etc) get unlocked and look a bit better than the standard ones. The natural ones are green in the menu when you cycle through them.

Access to real audio DB values is useful if you're pairing it up with an external mixer/amp.

Focus peaking, zebra stripes, and live histograms are great if you use them sparingly and as part of a process when you're setting up your shot. Having the screen covered in little charts and graphs that obscure your frame while recording is not good.

There's some talk about a future version of Magic Lantern offering "clean HDMI out", but what that means exactly is unclear. Right now these cameras offer clean HDMI out, but it's got weird resolution issues that require you to blow up the footage in post or shrink it to 720p. I'm trying to keep myself ignorant of this so I don't run out and invest in an SSD data solution. :)

On a slightly different topic, it looks like Canon will be announcing the successor to the 5dmk2 on Tuesday, and the T4i in the next two weeks. The expected specs for the 5dmkX:

22mp
61pt AF
100% VF
3.2″ LCD
Dual CF/SD Card Slots
Price: Around $3500 USD

I don't know if that means two card slots for each format, or one each. Either way it's a nice feature, but everything else is a wash. 61 autofocus points mean jack poo poo for video. I'm hoping the comparatively low pixel count means they have a jacked up processor that will do away with line skipping/moire/jello effect. I think in the end the main benefit will be flooding the market with used workhorse 5dmk2s for $1000-1500.

I don't think there are any specs for the T4i yet. But the idea that used T2is could drop to the $299 pricepoint makes me smile.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
The 5Dmk3 is now a thing.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847545-REG/Canon_5260A002_EOS_5D_Mark_III.html

I think most people had low expectations, and it meets those. Headphone jack is very nice, but should we really be cheering this on a $3500 camera? HDMI out is not clean and only in 720p. New faster processor "almost" gets rid of moire.

It's not a leap forward by any stretch of the imagination. I think this is a good iteration to skip.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
https://vimeo.com/37644454

This is a little video I shot to test out a few of the possible configurations and settings you can achieve with the following gear:

Canon T2i running Magic Lantern, AGC disabled.
Rode NTG-2 Mic.
Zoom H4n.
Sound Devices Mixpre-D.

For the longest time I'd been recording audio onto the Zoom and syncing it in post. In December, based on a few recommendations I read on this forum, I purchased the Mixpre-D. I was on the fence and spent a while deciding between that and a much cheaper Juicedlink pre-amp. The deciding factor was that I felt more confident in the Mixpre-D holding it's value if I have to upgrade to something else in the future.

When I get a chance I will upload the same footage with all the audio normalized, which should highlight the differences in the signal to noise ratios.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

LiquidRain posted:

I just read about the "180 degree" rule (aka "shutter speed at double your framerate for natural motion blur")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/180_degree_rule

180 degree shutter rule is what you're referring to.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

A smug sociopath posted:

How are people finding the Magic Lantern software?

I've been using the 550D with factory settings for about a year and a half now, and have begun looking at the AL for some added features. I have a feature film production starting in June, and it includes mostly outdoor scenes with some pretty difficult locations. The thought of having to drag an external audio recorder along feels kind of undesirable.

You're shooting a feature film and you are planning on not using an external recorder? You're just going to plug your mic into the T2i? While ML adds some good audio tools, there's still no headphone jack on the camera, so you can't monitor it. And the amps in the camera are terrible.

Drag along the external recorder.

quote:

I'd like to hear some goon opinions about the Magic Lantern, and perhaps some pointers about how to utilize it. How usable are the variable bitrate options, for example, and the HDR video mode?

I think the best features of ML are the histogram/waveform/peaking/etc. The monitoring features, if you will. I don't do timelapse stuff but I'm sure those controls are very useful if you do. I haven't seen anything that demonstrated that increasing the bitrate has a useful real world application. You can decrease bitrate to shoot longer if you are running out of space, but that doesn't seem to useful either. Some of the HDR footage looks nice, most looks gimmicky.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Have we talked about the 6D yet?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892349-REG/Canon_8035b002_EOS_6D_Digital_Camera.html

20.2MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
3.0" Clear View High Resolution LCD
DIGIC 5+ Image Processor
Built-In Wi-Fi and GPS Connectivity
Full HD 1080p with Manual Controls
11-Point AF with Center Cross-Type Point
63-Zone Dual Layer Metering Sensor
Extended ISO Range of 50-102400
Up to 4.5 Full Resolution FPS
Built-In HDR and Multiple Exposure Modes

$2099 for the body, has the same ALL-I codec as the 5Dmk3.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This isnt exactly the thread where this belongs, but I think its the closest.

New GoPro coming out that shoots 4K video, and 1080P at 60fps.

http://gopro.com/hd-hero3-cameras

If theres a better thread, someone direct me to it.

And it has built in Wifi so you don't have to burn the backpack slot on the wifi adapter it seems. I've got a narrative project in pre-production where I was struggling with using Hero2's. This not only solves my main dilemna about the backpack slot, it offers significantly better video to boot.

This...is a big deal. I can't wait to see some user tests of the new lens and lowlight capabilities.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
BestBuy is selling the new GoPros today. What's tragic is that the White and Silver models need a firmware update (due mid November) to be used with the GoPro smartphone app. The GoPro Black also needs this firmware update, which is due out "Winter 2012".

So tempted to hit up BB after work.

Edit: Here's the manual

http://gopro.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/HD3_UM_Black_ENG_FINAL_Web.pdf

No manual exposure control, and the wording for white balance is really odd. It seems to say the default camera mode is auto white balance, but if you enable ProTune on the camera it unlocks these other modes (including "Cam RAW"). However, it then says that in ProTune mode it overrides your selection and always uses Auto WB?!

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Not really, but that's a good read anyway. I'm sure I'm just misunderstanding the manual.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Skeletron posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread, but I'm considering picking up a Sony NEX 5n for filmmaking. I'll be using it mostly for filming synthesizer demos and music videos in high quality for youtube. I'm more of a musician than filmmaker...I'd just like something that can give me a nice shallow depth of field and record at 1080p. Being discontinued recently, it's available on Amazon for $478 with the 18-55mm lens kit. Would this be a good choice, or will I be disappointed down the road?

I've read that the NEX 5n overheats after about 23 minutes of recording but that Canon DSLRs have the same constraints due to file size limitations. I was also considering the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 60D but the 5n seems like a pretty good deal at the moment. Someone justify my purchase. :smith:

Just make sure you research it from the holistic filmmaking approach. Does it have all the necessary inputs? Can you get a battery grip for it that will let you change batteries without removing it from a tripod? How is the codec the video files output through (will your editing software play nice with AVCHD)? Do you have full manual control over everything you need?

If any of those cause issues, just grab a workhorse T2i and a nifty fifty. You'll have such a shallow depth of field that if your talent leans forward an inch it will blow the shot. Enjoy! :D

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

BeavisNuke posted:

I work at Lynn and put some behind the scenes footage together of the debate last night. Used a 7D on a merlin for the steadicam shots.

https://vimeo.com/51964130

Awesome stuff!

I picked up a GoPro 3 Black last night. Here's a little stationary sample footage I shot before going to work this morning:

https://vimeo.com/52004301

Download for original 2.7K clip straight out of the camera.

Edit: Oh and the iphone app lets you control the camera, it just doesn't let you preview the video.

Jalumibnkrayal fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 23, 2012

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

And some ProTune low light tests I shot. You can download the originals if you want to play with them:

2.7k -- https://vimeo.com/52134403
1080p -- https://vimeo.com/52134878

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Atticus_1354 posted:

Also, here is my first attempt at a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USV-y_-N50g

This is really good but the DOF is a little too narrow. I think if you could have gotten a few more inches of focus it would be even better. Well done!

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Vimeo says these are both private

Yeah I took them private after a few weeks. There are plenty of other (better) Gopro samples you can download on Vimeo.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Nushergrudger posted:

After some research I decided it was between the 7D or the GH3. I might just have to dish out a little extra for that GH3. Definitely seems like a good deal. Thanks for the suggestions.

The 7D is basically a more expensive version of the Canon T2i/T3i/T4i. It is more ruggedized, so that might be an issue depending on how careful you are with your gear, but it's not worth the increase in price IMHO. It also uses the oldest tier of image processors (2xDigic III). If your main concern is image quality, get one of the Txi's. You'll save money, have more features, and better Magic Lantern custom firmware.

1st AD posted:

My friend just received his Blackmagic Camera. I got to tag along for a shoot.

Any power issues? I read that some folks who are using battery packs are having a lot of trouble. I'm eager for this generation of RAW video cameras, but I need them to have better designs before I jump in.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
http://cinescopophilia.com/order-a-kineraw-mini-camera-today-for-around-3-grand-delivered-late-march/

~$3k for 12bit RAW S35 sensor. I'm shocked it will supposedly be shipping next month.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Cool Matty posted:

I would say $1000 would be the absolute most we could spend, and even then I'd have trouble justifying it. I don't have a hard budget, since it's just a matter of what we can scrap together, but I figured we'd be in the $500-800 range. I haven't seen these types of cameras though, I'll take a look and see if there's one like that more in our price range. Thanks!

If that doesn't work out, you could try a GoPro3 Black. They output HDMI, though how well they will operate over a long period of time is questionable. They also don't zoom if that's a big deal. But if you just want a wide angle shot of a room of nerds, it should work well enough. It even does 2.7K resolution @ 30fps, but obviously HDMI would only pass through 1080p.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Unless you need full frame or RAW, T2i is the best option on the market. Lenses are everywhere, storage media is approaching free and aftermarket batteries are like $5. All the major editing suites now play nice with the codec, and Magic Lantern adds a lot of professional features.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5247.msg34074#msg34074

Magic Lantern has unlocked 1080p 14bit RAW recording on 5Dmk3, assuming you have a 1000x speed CF card. They're still ironing out the kinks though.

EDIT: and there might be some RAW capabilities unlocked at lower resolutions for other Canon models if I'm not mistaken.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

schmuckfeatures posted:

I wonder what the T2i will have available through this?

There are people using the same firmware to test modes on the T3i, but I haven't seen mention of the T2i.

Edit: The buzzkill is the data rates required for HD RAW are about 8x higher than what normal class 10 SD cards are capable of. Would UHS SD cards allow the camera to record data faster, or is that also limited by the camera hardware?

Jalumibnkrayal fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 14, 2013

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

1st AD posted:

I'm pretty sure the 5D doesn't have a high speed SD card slot, so you're stuck with 1000x CF cards or nothing.

5D doesn't have any type of SD card slot, but the T2i/T3i/etc do. I think they can do SDXC but I don't know about anything faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

1st AD posted:

The 5Dmk3 takes both CF and SD cards.

Ahh. Good to know.

• Locked thread