Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Pompous Rhombus posted:

What's the deal with editing 1080p movies on a monitor with less than that resolution? Totally a bad idea, or can you get by? I'd like to be able to keep a copy at 1080p output for later, is it feasible to work on something with a lower-res screen? It'd just be hobby stuff messing around, not pro quality or anything.

I've been looking at a Dell Studio 15 for a while because those have the option for a 1920x1080 LCD panel, but if it's not 100% necessary I might like to expand my search, maybe consider a 13" Macbook Pro instead.

No matter what editor you're using, you'll only be using a small portion of the screen anyway. The timeline and clip viewer and bins and stuff will take up like 3/4 of the view. So, for your primary monitor, bigger is always better, but I do editing on a 1680x1050 screen just fine.

It's always good to have a monitor that can show 1080p for proofing, but a decent LCD TV should be fine for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

didi-mau posted:

The hardest part for me is dealing with the H264 codec on a PC through Premiere. The timeline has to be re-rendered every time you adjust something on the timeline which makes the whole process painfully slow.

After all that it's still a trial to find the right export settings for uploading to vimeo or youtube.

I think that converting your video to HDV or AVCHD before you start editing should let you do real-time stuff (as long as your computer is fast enough). Not sure though. I know that HDV is an older format and easier on your system, but I don't know if this is because the quality is worse or if it's just lower compression (= larger files but less CPU to decode).

Alternately, there is a way that you can make a low-resolution version of the video, edit on that (much faster and easier), and then automatically transfer all your edit decisions to the original high-resolution footage at render time. I'm not sure how to do it exactly but there have to be tutorials.

As far as export settings, once you find a combination that results in a good balance of quality and file size, you can save that as a preset and just automatically export to it every time. For YouTube stuff I think I usually export as 480x(height) 1 Mbps H.264 (variable up to 6) and 64-96Kbps AAC. Works pretty well for me and my slow internet connection.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 21, 2010

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Mozzie posted:

If people say otherwise it's because they are loving morons.

You can call me a moron if you like, but you don't know what you're talking about. At all. Every line in your post has a mistake in it. Maybe there's something wrong with your brain, because not one of the reviews I've seen of Public Enemies said "film did not appear to be moving" or "no persistence of vision" or even "cinematography was poorly-executed". I don't even want to start arguing against you because literally everything you said is wrong, wrong, wrong.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 handles footage off my 5dmkII in real time. This is a pretty serious step forward for editing on the PC. I was able to do this in Pinnacle before, but it wasn't nearly as fast as this. I'm not even using a CUDA video card to really take advantage of the Mercury Engine hardware acceleration.

Now if I can only get around to shooting something besides my parrot in his cage...

:aaa:

I have a CUDA card. I must get CS5.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

DelLobo posted:

If you had a choice between using a 7d or an HVX, is there any reason to go with the 7d? I've been told by a bunch of friends about how great video on these dslr's is, but if you already have access to an HD video camera, why bother? Especially if you are trying to capture sound to it (which, as the sound guy on this next shoot, is my major concern. they are asking me to use an external recording device if we go with the 7d, but this just seems like a HUUUGE hassle for the editor when he has to sync everything up in post)

It looks like the HVX is a better choice unless you want the depth of field that you can get with a digital SLR or the much larger SLR lens selection. I don't know how significant the depth of field differences are -- it would be much more pronounced when comparing a 5D2 and an HD video camera.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

pwn posted:

I use Adobe Premiere CS3. It works fine with Nikon's avi files, no idea how it works with whatever Canon poops out. It takes a while to learn it well enough to fully exploit what it can do, which I imagine is true of any real editing program. If there's a decent public access station near you, you should consider volunteering, that's where I learned to use NLEs (non-linear editors.)

Premiere also works fine with Canon's MOVs. The interface is very similar to what Final Cut Pro uses as well, so if you later switch a lot of the tools and concepts will be the same.

Get CS5 if you have a new nVidia card because it has video card acceleration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

TomR posted:

Here is a hand held video with a 300mm lens on a 7D. It was dark enough that the camera would not lock on with autofocus. I tried to focus manually and follow the subject, but I jerk the lens around when I focus.

Baby duck eats a fly:
Click

Cute, and surprisingly stable for a handheld shot at 480mm equivalent. What's the awful noise in the background? Could you maybe replace it with something else or just lower the volume a little?

• Locked thread