Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

DelLobo posted:

If you had a choice between using a 7d or an HVX, is there any reason to go with the 7d? I've been told by a bunch of friends about how great video on these dslr's is, but if you already have access to an HD video camera, why bother? Especially if you are trying to capture sound to it (which, as the sound guy on this next shoot, is my major concern. they are asking me to use an external recording device if we go with the 7d, but this just seems like a HUUUGE hassle for the editor when he has to sync everything up in post)

It's really not that hard unless your editor is a complete retard.

Just make sure to slate every take, and take halfway decent sound logs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I shot this for a friend on his 7D a few weekends ago. I didn't realize how hard it was going to be to pull focus in daylight with that tiny rear end screen. Next time when I get more than a few hours notice I'll look into renting one of those eyepieces and an actual shoulder rig. I'm still happy how it turned out though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ-XNZKlxb4

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

pwn posted:

You did pretty loving good for no shoulder rig. Great video.

Yeah, something with a follow focus and a viewfinder would have made this a lot smoother and more in focus. I'm fine with what I got though.

And yeah, I dig the Pete and Pete concept my friend decided on doing. The editing makes it, as he's a way better editor than I'll ever be.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

ease posted:

It looks awesome, what lens were you using?

Used a 50mm for the shallow DoF shots, mostly just a kit lens though(18-55).

I'm broke so I don't have many options. I'd like the 24-70L glass, but I'd be eating ramen for 1/2 a year to get one.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

pwn posted:

How many times did you shoot the band playing the song? How many hours all told to shoot?

Hats off to the editor, he did a fantastic job as well.

I did 3 separate takes of the band doing the whole song in the front yard. One for front coverage, one from behind the band and grabbing some more front coverage, and another where I got creative and shot what I thought would look good. Then in the back yard we did 1 take of the entire song, as no one likes being in a warm kiddie pool. Then we did 2 takes in the front yard with smoke bombs starting at the breakdown.

Seth, the director/frontman of the band/editor/DP, shot most of the B-Roll stuff in between performance shots. (Basically the band would do a take, then take 15 to cool down as summer is in full effect in Tennessee. I think the heat index was 104 that day.)

All in all it took about 4 hours to shoot, as I got there at 2:15 or so, and we wrapped by a little after 6. Most of that time was spent waiting for extras for the crazy performance shot at the end, and the party stuff by the kiddie pool.

I stuck the camera on a tripod and slung it over my shoulder as a makeshift rig, which worked okay, but I really couldn't see the LCD to focus at all. I'm normally a sound guy, so this was a crash course in camera op-ing, but I now understand why you guys like your counterweighted shoulder rigs with follow focus and a big viewfinder so much.

It's kinda like why I like my lightweight shotgun and my boom pole with the XLR through the pole and a connector on the side and not the bottom.

• Locked thread