Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Saw this posted in AI, home made shoulder rig. http://vimeo.com/11435910

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

The D3100 really needs an audio input though. Even the T2i has an audio input. outrageous

I bet for 98% of D3100 users they wont even know what an audio input would be used for let alone why it is better, you need to remember this is pretty much the entry DSLR from Nikon. I am sure they could have added it but it would not be worth it to increase the price of it for that 2% of users that maybe know what it is and want to use it.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

AtomicManiac posted:

So I just took the plunge on a 7D and after reading through the thread I have a few questions.

1) If I'm looking to shoot something excessively loud (IE: Concerts, or Drag Strip racing) what should I look for in an external mic?

2) Are there any good resources for shooting video? My friends band is back in town until the first week of January and I want to know if I can reasonably throw together a video having only a week or two of actual practice? Obviously I'll have unlimited time to edit, and the audio will be synced in post to a song, so It's a pretty good first project I think. I would just like to learn all the basics of shooting video and grab some practice before I get in over my head.

I really think you need to stop trying to do everything, and concentrate on doing one (or a limited number of) thing well. Every other week you seem to be trying something new, which is not always a bad thing but if you are wanting to make a living doing this you have to do a good job at something instead of doing a so so job at every thing.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

AtomicManiac posted:

January will mark one year of "Being in business" (first time I got paid for photos). Since then, I haven't really made enough money to need to file taxes, but I'm looking to change that this year. Are there any good resources to learn how to file taxes, without having to go and visit with an accountant?

I did go to business school, so I have some basic understanding of book keeping and depreciation and such, but my accounting classes were more brief-over views on actual book-keeping and managerial decision making based off the numbers for corporate function and less DIY "File these forms, here's how to handle deductions, etc".

Maybe dropped out, he does seem to have gone though!

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

ease posted:

How the gently caress did they get that shot at like 0:25 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltKtMUhsy9w

Only thing I can imagine is a guy on a zip line or an RC helicopter, but the way the camera follows the rider makes me thing it must be a guy on a zip line. It seems to turn tho? :ninja:

If you want to see a really well shot bike movie you should check out http://www.lifecyclesfilm.com/ (not shot on dslrs but still very cool, they used red cameras I think)

As for those shots they follow they usually use a zip line type idea.

• Locked thread