Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
A client wants me to try and put together a flash video of various landscape pans. Whether I take them as actual video pans or fake it with stills making the video should be relatively easy, but I'm not sure how to make that into a flash movie. Converting to flv isn't tough, but getting it onto a web page is the hard part. I'd really like to avoid spending $700 on flash creator, so I'm hoping there is some open source/free/cheaper solution?

I don't need any interaction. Ideally just something that plays a video on loop would be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Honestly, I didn't really notice until I had to look for it.

Filmed dinner again last night. Restaurants need to have better lighting, aaand the D90 video capabilities are frustrating. Not being able to control white balance kills most of it. But, it's still good practice for framing and editing, so I can't complain too much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keqQzhTOVXg

Edit: poo poo, sorry, I wrote all this thinking you're looking for comments/criticism. I really liked both of the above videos and I'm just nit-picking. It's great to see some good stuff coming out of DLSRs that isn't "look what a production crew can do with a DSLR".

A couple of things I'd suggest trying when editing are placing your cuts more in time with changes in the music. Addition of an instrument, beginning of the chorus, etc, maybe be good times to do cuts. Some of your scenes feel like they run a little long, too, so maybe some additional cuts may tighten things up. Music videos (which this isn't, but feels a little like) tend to have an obnoxious number of cuts, and while that really bothers me, viewers seem to be used to it, so it's okay to cut more often if they're timed appropriately. If you've got a shot you really like but it feels a little too long, its okay to cut away and cut back a little later, as long as you're subtle about it.

I don't think the white balance was so bad, since you're trying to give a "you're in the restaurant" feel, and I think an off white balance helps with that.

As for the food itself, try getting some shots of many plates on a table, or food at various stages of being eaten? The Fire and Vine video seemed to mostly be longer shots of as-prepared food, which looks good but doesn't have quite as much "you're there" feel as watching the food get eaten over a few cuts, if that makes sense.

The STI video was pretty good, but some of the sliding shots felt a little uneven, as if you weren't sliding at the same speed the whole time. Maybe that is just my old eyes going, but it's important to keep moving at a steady pace when possible.

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 16, 2011

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

TheMilkyNutBall posted:

This might also explain the sync problems which were also kind of noticeable at certain points.

My first thought was that it seemed like the singer's voice was out of sync with her mouth/lips. I feel like it might have felt more natural if her voice/the song was delayed by maybe 5-10ms. I could be insane, though.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I thought the song was neat.

I agree the camera angles could be better. The space you're in doesn't give you a lot of freedom but it is frustrating to have your arm cover the action now and then.

I think the editing started off good but got weak near the end. I also think you cut in too much of the music video. It's pretty cliched, but you could cut the music to silence when you go to take the drink, to help emphasize your reaction.

It's great you keep working on new videos, I think you've definitely improved!

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 30, 2011

• Locked thread