Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Kansas City Royals
Apr 6, 2006

A friend of mine had his car, the titular 2003 Corolla, broken into last night. His list of suspects right now is essentially everyone he knows and is convinced that his car was targeted specifically due to the fact that he occasionally sells drugs, and that's what was stolen from his car(nothing else was gone).

So I was wondering, how hard is it to jimmy the lock on a 2003 Corolla? I'm sure locking mechanisms have come a long way since I last jimmied a car lock (late 80's, early 90's) so I was wondering if whoever did it would have to have known what they were doing.

Can these locks still be flipped with a coat hanger like older cars, or would you need a slim jim? Is it still just a matter of getting your hook under the catch and lifting it? Would someone have to be generally familiar with cars?

I know back in the day car doors were easy to "pick" , but I'm hoping that modern locks are more difficult so my friend can narrow down his list of suspects slightly.

TLDR: Would you need a slim-jim and/or specific knowledge in order to jimmy the lock on a 2003 Toyota Corolla?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I'm uh, hacking into the mainframe!

I locked the keys in my mom's '99 4Runner and was able to pop the lock in about 5 minutes with a toothed piece of metal, so assuming Toyota makes all their locking mechanisms roughly the same...

e: A coat hanger would also work, I suppose,
and no, you wouldn't need special knowledge. I didn't.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Maybe my post will be on the news soon

e: BOB'S BURGER BARN CAN'T BE BEAT!

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

How would this information help at all? Either it's not easy to do, and maybe someone he knows is good at breaking into cars, maybe not, or it's easy to do, and anyone could have done it. Wow. If you know someone who is good at breaking into cars, it doesn't matter if it's easy or hard, shouldn't that be your suspect? This is stupid, you are stupid, your drug-dealing friend is stupid.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005
now that's performance

I'm reading this as follows:

quote:

My drug dealing friend keeps drugs in his 2003 Toyota Corolla, and of course I wish to steal them. How hard is this car gonna be to break into, given that the last vehicle I jimmied open was a 1992 Ford F150?

Am I close OP?

Kansas City Royals
Apr 6, 2006

beejay posted:

How would this information help at all? Either it's not easy to do, and maybe someone he knows is good at breaking into cars, maybe not, or it's easy to do, and anyone could have done it. Wow. If you know someone who is good at breaking into cars, it doesn't matter if it's easy or hard, shouldn't that be your suspect? This is stupid, you are stupid, your drug-dealing friend is stupid.

Why am I stupid? Some cars can be jimmied by anyone with any long piece of metal as the first response to the thread illustrates. If you needed to be more than vaguely familiar with cars in order to pick this sort of lock, that would make any of his friends/customers that were say mechanics or worked with cars a more probable suspect. You really didn't think at all when typing that, did you? You don't have to be "good at breaking into cars" to be more familiar with cars than the average person you loving dolt.

boneration posted:

I'm reading this as follows:

Am I close OP?

You're close on the fact that the kid is really a dribbling moron and apparently kept his drugs in his car. Seriously, who leaves hundreds of dollars worth of drugs in their car? But no, I'm not planning on robbing anybody. If it were me I would probably just smash & grab considering the location and knowing there's no alarm, and I wouldn't be making posts about a crime I was about to commit.

Kansas City Royals fucked around with this message at Apr 20, 2010 around 22:07

Brickhouse Betty
Sep 11, 2001

Well well well

Maybe you guys could try popping the lock on the door yourselves to see if it's easy or not?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

quote:

4) DO NOT POST ANYTHING INVOLVING ILLEGAL ACTIVITY without express permission from AreYouIn and I. Do not post a thread about how to steal, cheat, rip people off, or how to get drugs. You will be banned without hesitation. This rule also applies to anyone who "helpfully" wanders into a thread to offer advice on how to break the law. Nothing illegal or fraudulent, folks. Sorry. Ozmanote: THAT INCLUDES FAKE IDs, YOU IDIOTS, SO QUIT THINKING THAT YOU'RE BEING SLY BY ASKING FOR HINTS ABOUT A "NOVELTY ID."

Also, on the subject of illegal content and this forum. Do NOT think you can be sneaky and save yourself from banning by saying "Hay, I'd like to learn how to break into a car/learn pickpocketing/murder my neighbors... for uh... entertainment purposes". How would I hypothetically go about doing this"? You aren't fooling anyone, fellas.

Oh wait, wrong rule...

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Tex Murdock DDS posted:

Why am I stupid? Some cars can be jimmied by anyone with any long piece of metal as the first response to the thread illustrates. If you needed to be more than vaguely familiar with cars in order to pick this sort of lock, that would make any of his friends/customers that were say mechanics or worked with cars a more probable suspect. You really didn't think at all when typing that, did you? You don't have to be "good at breaking into cars" to be more familiar with cars than the average person you loving dolt.

Yeah ok, you're right. Good thread. I hope you find out who stole the drugs, you're so close!

JeansW
Aug 4, 2004
Yes. Like the jeans...

If you ever want to know how easy it is to break into a car, lock your keys in your car and call a locksmith. It was pretty scary seeing how easy they opened my very new Dodge Ram with what appeared to be a thicker-than-normal coat hangar.

Delicious Yams
Feb 10, 2010

by T. Finn

Alternatively, I once locked the keys to my old rear end BMW in the firewalled trunk. The locksmith had to grind a key on the scene by looking in the loving keyhole.

$100 dollar spare key.

Kansas City Royals
Apr 6, 2006

The A-Team Van posted:

Oh wait, wrong rule...

Well poo poo, this really was innocent, but whoops. I mean, I'm not trying to learn how to break into the car or anything so I'm not even sure if this breaks the rules or not.

Kansas City Royals fucked around with this message at Apr 20, 2010 around 22:54

Gullous
Jun 24, 2005

Ready to RACE

My brother locked his car while it was running (broken ignition). AAA came out and opened the door with an inflatable bladder tool. They pried open the door enough to insert the bladder and pumped it up. This bent the door out enough to operate the lock with a hook/stick combo. It was very silent and took less than 60 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kansas City Royals
Apr 6, 2006

Ok, since it seems like locks on most cars are still pretty poo poo I guess this really doesn't narrow much down. Thanks anyway for those with input.